test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do deal with server down....

sabo630sabo630 Member Posts: 76
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
#1 take a deep breath, it will be ok.
#2 realize its still beta, so give them a break. They opened this up to play so they could find these problems and fix them before launch. It is expected and has happened with every game you know of.

It sucks, but it will be back live soon, offering anything on the forums besides constructive criticism, is counter productive. 9000 posts about how pissed off you are, just floods the system even more.

You have to realize it may be down a couple hours as they fix things, if you have nothing to help the devs in terms of info about what happened, or what problems you see, then there are many alternatives.

- get some food/drink
- take a shower (its that time of the week again bro)
- clean your room (its better to game in a clean arera, honest)
- go get some food from the store to prepare for your all nighter since you were forced out a couple hours
- go to any free game flash site and check out some indy games for a couple hours
- chesshotel.com for you chess players
- learn to play chess
- watch some cat videos on youtube
- do something for your mom or your girlfriend/boyfriend so you can game later with less agro
- plan out your next foundry mission on paper
- post up some info on the forums to find more friends to game/pvp with
- cook dinner/lunch so you are ready for next game session
- do some laundry
- check out some alternative media (infowars.com, etc)
- search & watch a good move online (like 'they Live')
- all else fails you can check out some of my crappy games on mind-wars.com
- post a funny thread on the forum

if you still cant find anything to do after reading this list, then go outside, get some fresh air and take a walk.

over all its not the end of the world. the game will be back up and you will be happy again soon.

hope this helps, maybe I entertained you long enough that the servers are already back up!
=)
Post edited by sabo630 on

Comments

• Options
    darkangel66699darkangel66699 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not a beta. It's a soft launch, but I see your point.
  • Options
    l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I deal with server crashes with....

DANCING!
    tumblr_m39d82A9Ce1rqfhi2o1_250_zps85b97d45.gif
  • Options
    scrybatogscrybatog Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is no character wipe.

You have to pay to play the game (preemptive yes you do, saying you don't have to at 60 either makes you gimped in game or in the head, either way you lose, so don't bother posting) Even if you don't HAVE to you still can, and its highly integrated already.

This is not a Beta, if I'm paying for content and characters and items are permanent, its just a game released with a sleazy "BETA" tacked onto it.
  • Options
    kerkioskerkios Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xaxaxa man u are awesome i did all that almopst all u said:
    i clened my room i took a bath i cleaned my dog yard
    i got some food
    and as always i saw some cat videos XD
    all gamers we are the same!! :P
  • Options
    narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scrybatog no you dont, i have over 2 mil diamonds and bought 2 bags of holding already from the AH, you may be having to pay cause you foundry grind quest your way to 60. It is a beta, beta has nothing to do with money nothing what so ever, beta is a phase of production only, nowhere in the definition does it say beta is free.
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • Options
    nismunismu Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    I wish i could use foundry offline so in times like this i could spend my time to finish the quest i am making.
  • Options
    strookestrooke Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is all good, just chillin' around. Just hope it wont take too long. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    solidor80solidor80 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    i play LOL until server's up
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    narathkor wrote: »
    scrybatog no you dont, i have over 2 mil diamonds and bought 2 bags of holding already from the AH, you may be having to pay cause you foundry grind quest your way to 60. It is a beta, beta has nothing to do with money nothing what so ever, beta is a phase of production only, nowhere in the definition does it say beta is free.

A Beta is for testing skills and items and combos and classes right? Well I have one sentence that if you actualy read will completely negate your argument, ready for it?

You have to pay 6 dollars for a respec... in the TESTING phase of a game. How you can possibly argue after this statement is beyond my comprehension.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    narathkor wrote: »

A Beta is for testing skills and items and combos and classes right? Well I have one sentence that if you actualy read will completely negate your argument, ready for it?

You have to pay 6 dollars for a respec... in the TESTING phase of a game. How you can possibly argue after this statement is beyond my comprehension.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    .... exactly
  • Options
    steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Beta is for testing Systems and Functions. Depending on the part of the beta those systems and functions may or may not be related to character skills or class balance but may be related to noncombat systems, map glitches, and AI bugchecking alongside the usual Open Beta focus of Server Stability.

Your argument is invalid. You're not paying a wooden nickel for the game, which is still in Beta. What you're paying for is services which are out of the beta testing phase and are currently working as intended.

Case in point: You cannot currently purchase companion-quality increasing tomes, though they exist. These items are still under testing and may be revamped before launch, though they already exist in the game world and even at vendors. Their functionality, like the server's overall stability, is still in beta.

Another example would be the Foundry, which allowed players to utilize enemy AI and style with objects to create an exploitable environment, skewing the risk to reward ratio. This lead to this morning's patch. The Foundry was (and still is) in a Beta state.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    skettapskettap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i sit here and look at the site till it comes up. lol
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    steampunky wrote: »
    Beta is for testing Systems and Functions. Depending on the part of the beta those systems and functions may or may not be related to character skills or class balance but may be related to noncombat systems, map glitches, and AI bugchecking alongside the usual Open Beta focus of Server Stability.

Your argument is invalid. You're not paying a wooden nickel for the game, which is still in Beta. What you're paying for is services which are out of the beta testing phase and are currently working as intended.

Case in point: You cannot currently purchase companion-quality increasing tomes, though they exist. These items are still under testing and may be revamped before launch, though they already exist in the game world and even at vendors. Their functionality, like the server's overall stability, is still in beta.

Another example would be the Foundry, which allowed players to utilize enemy AI and style with objects to create an exploitable environment, skewing the risk to reward ratio. This lead to this morning's patch. The Foundry was (and still is) in a Beta state.

-Rachel-

You said absolutely nothing at all, and tacted on a "your statement is invalid" in the middle... youve come under my "gimped in the head" label.
  • Options
    cocksworthcocksworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

-Rachel-

The servers are down because Cryptic has inadequate hardware to deal with the influx of new players. Unless the real world is in open beta as well they should just get their asses over to Office Depot and cough up some dough.
  • Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scrybatog - double thumbs up for you my friend
  • Options
    junigenmukyokujunigenmukyoku Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013

-Rachel-

So basically what you're saying is that its half-beta, which still makes the 'beta' misleading. If you really think that the skill tree is out of the beta phase and working as intended for people to pay $6 for each respec, you must be quite ignorant.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    scrybatog wrote: »
    You said absolutely nothing at all, and tacted on a "your statement is invalid" in the middle... youve come under my "gimped in the head" label.

Here is my rebuttal, specifically for people who are themselves, mentally nerfed. Goodbye.

41762919.jpg
    cocksworth wrote: »
    The servers are down because Cryptic has inadequate hardware to deal with the influx of new players. Unless the real world is in open beta as well they should just get their asses over to Office Depot and cough up some dough.

Alternatively: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?186862-A-Theory-about-the-Crashes

Short version: Since the game was originally a LAN/Lobby retrofit of the Cryptic Engine with MMO Capability removed and later put into an MMO design the server crashes of the past year may be the result of inappropriate rewriting of connection functionality conflicts being tested on the main server cluster. Those of the past several weeks, of course, being an escalation of those same or similar issues based on the quantity of players online and server stresses.

If it were a lack of server space we'd be hitting queues to log in, not complete crashes.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    wraithgorewraithgore Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From what I'm seeing is an improper
    1) Code issue
    or
    2) Load balancing across servers is totally stretched so that the servers go down
    Now the funny part is the Green dot is on in the main screen to login saying the server is up. SO The LOGIN serer is up. Which I believe is part of PW environment.
    Now all I can think from at this point guys and gals, we just gotta be patient. It's not going to office depot but more so having proper servers whether in the cloud based so it is scalable to the amount of users on the system at a time
    also why it is still down but yet could probably be up - is simple answer, the guys at cryptic are looking through the logs to find out what glitch in the code might have caused the server crash.
    Hell if it was production it would be up and I would be waiting for the next crash while searching through the logs, but this is a beta, and beta code, with beta server environments. So basically as gamer's we are kinda, S.O.L. do what the third person in the thread said to do, "Dance".
  • Options
    dellissdelliss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, did all that, now what?

More suggestions plzkthx
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So basically what you're saying is that its half-beta, which still makes the 'beta' misleading. If you really think that the skill tree is out of the beta phase and working as intended for people to pay $6 for each respec, you must be quite ignorant.

The respec function itself is out of beta. It works. Use it as you see fit, and you'll pay for that use.

Regardless of whether the class structure is fully finalized: You're not paying for the class. You're not paying for the quests or the maps or the foundry or the NPCs that you kill.

Open Beta is not misleading. People's assumptions on paying for services are the problem. Those of us who keep reiterating that it is an open beta don't follow those same assumptions. I'm sorry that it upsets you, but there's no need to be insulting.

-Rachel-
  • Options
    cocksworthcocksworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well Rachel, I was going to bring up the fact that being completely lazy in the networking department and piggy backing the launch of a "new" game onto their other game servers which are several years old was lazy, cheap, and short sighted. But since I am now a crying baby I have lost the ability to type goo goo ga ga, you're an idiot.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Okay more suggestions would break the ability, other than to say pass your time getting some friends over and playing hte original Table top version. Anybody up for a game of AD&D, Adventures to Myth Drannor? I still got some supplements. Though we'll be playing 3.5 rule set.

Btw Rachel, I take it you are a programmer who's been following this project a while as you've mentioned coding issues that they've had for some time, Think on this, maybe part of the issue is the connection through the PW portal - login server - to the main server basically. Which i thiink would be PW -> Cryptics servers.

Wraith
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    and when I say ability I meant to type ABILITY TO post, as it would break terms of policy as it could be viewed as advertising.
  • Options
    katszckatszc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What I do when server is down.

Watch anime.

And then...

Watch more anime.
  • Options
    kasumhasegawakasumhasegawa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let me just put it this way. They have not misled anybody. The game is still in Beta. It is an Open Beta which means people are allowed to play it. They are offering pay services for people who are willing to pay for certain things during the beta. BUT IT IS STILL BETA. Meaning if the game is not working properly, even though you threw money at it, its still YOUR problem for buying services for a game that was STILL IN BETA. I have played many F2P mmos and have never spent a dime on them and still had just as much fun. Maybe i wasn't the strongest fastest or toughest but i didn't feel the investment was worth it. And I CERTAINLY wouldn't pay for something in a game that was STILL IN BETA. To me, that is "gimped in the head".
  • Options
    cookieyumyummycookieyumyummy Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    But guys, it's in beta, teehee!
  • Options
    shaun000shaun000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    But guys, it's in beta, teehee!

servers back up =p
  • Options
    c10udc10ud Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    sabo630 wrote: »
    - search & watch a good move online (like 'they Live')

Oh god! Did you really just suggest that? I mean... Roddy Piper was cool back in the day but that movie was only good for a single line... and I'm sure you know what it is.
  • Options
    komablackkomablack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You didn't put fapping in there :(