test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do deal with server down....

2»

Comments

• steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not actually a programmer. I just work very closely with some. I'm actually over in Game Architecture, designing the high level version of the systems.

Cocksworth (Horrible name, by the way) the entire Cryptic Server Farm is a Cloud structure, not a single hard-wired tower for each game. You're looking at 2-3 boxes just for the "Login Server" functionality for Neverwinter. 3 more for STO and another 3 for Champs. The actual game servers are all tied together so that if one game needs more space it shifts outward, opening up new servers to handle the increased instances of a given zone or quest area. Because this game runs on the same engine (with more or less the same system requirements as the other two games) server technology advances are basically irrelevant, and the cluster size was almost certainly increased for NW's development cycle and launch.

If it were simply an issue of "Too many players" on the server, though, all of the Cryptic Games would enter into queueing. They didn't. Instead we had a lag-free hard crash. Given the timing (Neverwinter Open Beta) it's probably not an issue with STO or CO or even the hardware: But with this specific piece of software causing a fatal error.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • azurenova01azurenova01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How to deal with server down?

Rock in the corner and cry until it comes back up. Works for me every time =^_^=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is my rebuttal, specifically for people who are themselves, mentally nerfed. Goodbye.

Open Beta for F2P games is essentially launch with a different name. As soon as they start charging cash for anything you can't really call it a beta. At this point the only things they should be doing are stress tests and such.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • azurenova01azurenova01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    katszc wrote: »
    What I do when server is down.

Watch anime.

And then...

Watch more anime.

I second this lol =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ceniebabyceniebaby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    It's open beta. You can argue all you want, but just because you felt "forced" to drop X dollars on items doesn't make it a fully launched game.

Some of you are the worst kind of stupid.
    Cenie@ceniebaby - Dragon - Cleric - Member of Siren
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    urabask wrote: »
    Open Beta for F2P games is essentially launch with a different name. As soon as they start charging cash for anything you can't really call it a beta.

Beta and Launch have different meanings within the industry. Beta is essentially the phase in which all of the major features have been implemented and tested to some degree, minor or secondary features are being implemented, and testing is ongoing. Open Beta is generally reserved for cases where there is concern for the stability of the game and the servers, in order to stress-test the systems and their functionality.

No part of that requires or excludes players putting down money for the game. Many games only allow players who have already paid to enter into their game's Beta Phase. Is it not a beta because someone paid $250 for a lifetime subscription or bloated pre-order pack? It remains a Beta Phase.

I think it's actually a safe bet to say that the reason the developers decided against an end-of-beta server wipe is because they're allowing players to use Real Money systems which are integral to this game's design methodology. That "Taking it Back" after players have spent money on the services for their high end characters would leave the playerbase being cheated as their level 60s riding purple mounts were rolled back.

I get where you're coming from, Urabask. I really do.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • neverderp3012neverderp3012 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Chillage would be good. I've never managed a server farm for 7 figures worth of users, but I do deal with one for 350 users and have a budget based on it. $10,000 + connectivity and man hours means that every decision to upgrade is weighed VERY carefully, and I assume these guys have the same kinds of decisions to make and the same budget constraints on a per-user basis.

Let them work it out. Wait until full release (plus a few months) if you're really, truly damaged by this so they can figure out the right balance of hardware and people to maintain it effectively.

Or send them a check for $100,000. Maybe they'll give you your very own server and you'll get a title. Like "founder". Except it would be cooler. Like "Neo".
  • thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Server is back up. :cool:
  • deferentesmortisdeferentesmortis Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i love you lol.... well played sir...well played