test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The difference between need and greed

ilandryailandrya Member Posts: 24 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
<rant on> I don't know if there are just a lot of rude people, a lot of ignorant people, or a mix of both. So, here is a clarification:

GREED: this is what you select when the character class you are playing cannot equip the gear up for grabs because it's not for your class, or when the item is unidentified.. you can't "need" something when you don't even know what it is or know if it's better or worse than what you already have yet. If you are just going to sell the item, or hold it for an alt (who can run his own dungeons instead of taking from those who are actually running the dungeon and need the item, especially at this stage of the game when they don't yet have money to buy much), that is "greed".

Now, if everyone wants to select need on every single item, I and everyone else will have to do that too. Chances are when something comes up you really want/need, you'll be less likely to get it because instead of passing on the item as civil people normally would, I and everyone else in the party will be having to select need in order to sell stuff to buy the gear needed that you took by selecting need on an item you can't even equip. So, would you prefer I act like a civilized human being when something you really need is up for grabs that I can't use, or do we need to really resort to mob mentality in a game? Thanks.</rant off>
Post edited by ilandrya on

Comments

• therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ilandrya wrote: »
    I don't know if there are just a lot of rude people, a lot of ignorant people, or a mix of both.
    It's not ignorance. Quite the contrary, as the system is clearly designed to promote "need" rolls, and social censure is not, has never been, and probably never will be a sufficient deterrence.

Is it rude? Maybe, but rudeness is in the eyes of the beholder. Assuming that all rollable items are not bind-on-pickup, and assuming everyone accepts the idea of rolling "need" on everything, then the differences can be sorted out on the auction house. You may not get the item right now, but with a little patience, you stand a really good chance of getting it eventually (and probably sooner than if you just re-ran the same instances over and over). If everyone comes to grips with this way of thinking, it's no longer rude, it's business as usual.

That said, I'm all for an alternative system to the usual need/greed setup, like individualized loot rolls (e.g. GW2 or Cryptic's own City of Heroes) or marks/materials drops or any one of a number of systems that have been proposed. It's high time for Need/Greed to die IMO; there's nothing good about it from a player's point of view. But trying to get everyone to buy into a system of etiquette that is clearly in direct contradiction with the game mechanics is pretty much doomed to failure.

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Need vs Greed is a sad joke. The only way to make it actually work is if the system automatically binds the items to you if you win a need roll. If you need it, then you shouldn't be able to broker it. Most people always choose need now because so many of the people who claim to actually need items don't; the dishonesty goes both ways. In PUGs the system should be automatic random loot distribution in a game with the crazy amount of loot drops like this one. This isn't Pre Kunark EQ here, no one "needs" anything like they did in that game/era.
  • judgemonroejudgemonroe Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's the prisoner's dilemma. Ultimately you discover that GREED is the same as PASS. Nobody cooperates, everyone defects, etc.
    edited May 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    Need vs Greed is a sad joke. The only way to make it actually work is if the system automatically binds the items to you if you win a need roll. If you need it, then you shouldn't be able to broker it.
    I actually disagree. "Need" is the optimal strategy whether or not you can sell it on the AH - at the very least, it still represents cash from vendors. If you can auction it (or give it to a friend or guildie or alt or whatever), it goes to someone who can actually use it instead of getting tossed into the abyss. I'd rather have the former than the latter if we're stuck with a need/greed system.

But then I hate the need/greed system, so...

• emaloreemalore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    Making everything BoE by default instantly means that there will be a least one person in each group that needs on everything. There is nothing the average player can do about it, except to not care about loot or start rolling need on everything as well.
    edited May 2013
    therealted wrote: »
    I actually disagree. "Need" is the optimal strategy whether or not you can sell it on the AH - at the very least, it still represents cash from vendors. If you can auction it (or give it to a friend or guildie or alt or whatever), it goes to someone who can actually use it instead of getting tossed into the abyss. I'd rather have the former than the latter if we're stuck with a need/greed system.

I agree it is optimal as the game is now; you'd be foolish not to need everything. A perfect system however would prevent the "need" scam from happening, by making the item non transferable if you chose "need". So if you choose need, and can't use it, it's junk. Keeps the honest people honest.

But I agree with you...I hate the Need/Greed system too.
  • morlizermorlizer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If it's usable and unidentified then everyone who can use should need except the guy who can't and he passes or presses greed which is the has the same function in that case. This way everyone has the same chance on the green item. When you get a blue drop there is usually only one class who can use it, he/she needs and everyone else greeds or passes. Simple really.
  • vertisonevertisone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited May 2013
    I spam need on everything. Neverwinter is a cutthroat world, need or be needed upon. It is this game's version of PvP and I love it. Nothing like listening to a cleric rage when I take their weapon hahaha.

Bonus mission: Need then make them pay you for it.
    edited May 2013
    morlizer wrote: »
    If it's usable and unidentified then everyone who can use should need except the guy who can't and he passes or presses greed which is the has the same function in that case. This way everyone has the same chance on the green item. When you get a blue drop there is usually only one class who can use it, he/she needs and everyone else greeds or passes. Simple really.
    Except everything is BoE, so even if I can't use that 2h greatsword on my CW I can sell it on the AH.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Just did a dungeon this morning with a guy who rolled NEED on every freaking thing even on stuff they can't use. It's annoying as heck but what can you do ? I guess that's the sacrifice for playing with strangers.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    vertisone wrote: »
    I spam need on everything. Neverwinter is a cutthroat world, need or be needed upon. It is this game's version of PvP and I love it. Nothing like listening to a cleric rage when I take their weapon hahaha.

Bonus mission: Need then make them pay you for it.

Rolling need is NOT pvp. This just makes you a jerk.
  • lordhordelordhorde Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    therealted wrote: »

The optimal strategy for rolling need for the past 15 or so years was because the item was an upgrade for your main character. Not rolling need for items for alts, not rolling need for guildies, or rolling because you can make coin off it. It has gotten to the point where it really sickens me that people care so much about what they want and how much wealth they can accumulate in a virtual world that they just screw everyone else in the process.

I just did a dungeon run with a group and noticed I walked away with nothing from it but a few seals from the boss. I scrolled up through the chat and noticed that one person was needing on every single rune that dropped while the rest of us were rolling greed. Now he may have needed a rune I can accept that if it was one he really needed or wanted, but all of them? A guy even rolled need on a non class blue item he couldn't even use. But you know what? This is the mentality of modern gamers today. It pretty sad that you need a game developer to police the way loot is distributed in a game because the players themselves have no self control or consideration for others.

I`m really glad I can scroll though my logs and add people to my ignore list. I only hope when someone is on your list it flags them from being able to join the same dungeon as you so you don`t have to deal with them again. There are a lot of good people out there that it is indeed a pleasure to game with. But the number of jackholes outweighs them tremendously.
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately the random dungeon finder is an impersonal tool. Those people you will probably never ever see again after the dungeon is done hence it encourages people to be at their worst behavior.
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately the random dungeon finder is an impersonal tool. Those people you will probably never ever see again after the dungeon is done hence it encourages people to be at their worst behavior.
    Anonymity does that. Welcome to the internet.
  • gorbulasgorbulas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem with unidentified items is that hard to know if you need it or not. Best thing to do is just 'need' it. In matter of fact, its probably better just to need everything on impulse if the box pops up in the middle of a fight. This need/greed system is nothing new and its a terrible system for PUG's. It promotes selfish behavior. And then since its not bind on pickup, you can give items to a member of your party that you find needs it more.
    edited May 2013
    Yeah... that kind of attitude is why it's better to play with your buddies. Dungeon finder = It's like going on a public dating site you can get good ones or horrible ones.
  • yenrug70yenrug70 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to admit, I have no idea how "Greed" works and never used it. If an item is usable by me I choose "Need", if it's red I choose "Pass". Well, most of the time, I have accidentally hit "Need" a couple of times but thankfully not won them.
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited May 2013
    If it says my class can't us it I pass. If it's blue and my class can use it I need just on the off chance it's better than what I have. I will need once in a while on green items my class can use. I kind of see the green any class items as up for grabs, but if your class can't use it and there is someone in the group that can it's just rude to roll need.
    If something is class specific then other classes shouldn't be able to roll on it.
    edited May 2013
    lordhorde wrote: »
    The optimal strategy for rolling need for the past 15 or so years was because the item was an upgrade for your main character.
    I meant "optimal" in the game theory sense. Given that every item carries some non-zero benefit, given that "need" trumps everything else, and given that no significant penalty results when in a pick-up group in a healthy MMO, it is to each player's material benefit to roll "need" on everything, whether the player can use it or not.

While it would be optimal for everyone if everyone played nice, the fact remains that each player can only anticipate and control his or her own actions, and no one else's. Thus, from any individual player's point of view, it pays to roll "need" unless the player has solid reason to believe that everyone else will play by the "rules" (e.g. playing with guildies or friends).

Hence the prisoner's dilemma referred to previously (although I see it as an inversion of the dilemma). Faced with uncertainty about what the other guy will do, the best strategy you can do is screw the other guy. Any other option and you risk getting screwed yourself. That's why it keeps happening, and that's why the common etiquette falls apart.

• kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Difference between need and greed:

If you roll greed, you aren't really greedy. Perhaps your honest and not very intelligent though.

If you roll need your doing it right. All items are BoE and we all need AD. I've seen too many people roll need on stuff they don't need (not only people rolling on stuff not for their class, but people rolling on blues when they already have a purple ect.) to roll anything but need now.

IMO the system should have just 2 buttons, roll or pass. The greed button causes more problems than anything.
    edited May 2013
    Personally I just watch and see how people are rolling. If everyone is rolling greed then I roll greed. If everyone is rolling need then I do the same too. There's really no easy answer to this it's just a matter of common courtesy.
    edited May 2013
    Personally I just watch and see how people are rolling. If everyone is rolling greed then I roll greed. If everyone is rolling need then I do the same too. There's really no easy answer to this it's just a matter of common courtesy.
    Not a bad strategy, actually...

• darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morlizer wrote: »
    Agreed. Hit Need on things you can use, his Greed on the red things you can't use.
    You need ID scrolls anyway, and 15AD isn't really worth it for unusable vendor trash.
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    IMO the system should have just 2 buttons, roll or pass. The greed button causes more problems than anything.

It works well when people are slightly cooperative. Within my guild and with most PUGs, everyone Needs usable items and Greeds unusable items. This means everyone has an equal shot at things like amulets and rings, and the appropriate class gets class-restricted gear. If the appropriate class is absent in the party, everyone still has an equal shot because we all hit Greed.

It also makes it a lot less distracting, especially when people start looting in the middle of combat. If it's red Shift-2, otherwise Shift-1.
  • kiry3kiry3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013

This is what I do as well. I know I am for one not buying anything off the AH there's plenty of green out there dropping like flies. So the whole AH selling thing boggles my mind. Diamonds also drop like flies, especially if you do your dalies, so that's confusing as well.

I know someone who (if he's leader) kicks the person from the group that won't stop needing and everyone else is greeding. That works too.
  • sth60493sth60493 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont know if someone brought this up already but if everyone chooses need, you can always just trade class specific items at the end of the dungeon, people arent usually a-holes about it
    edited May 2013
    The problem with the system is that we can't know if we really need the item in question; if it isn't an upgrade, it isn't needed. The fact that an item is unusable or usable by our class is irrelevant, as the people with a class that can use the item still doesn't know if they need it, and for the majority of the time they wont need it.

If you roll greed based on if you can equip an item, you are just falling victim to a broken system, and frankly being taken advantage of. The only way to have truly fair loot distribution is for everyone to choose need. The loot system it designed to make you spend AD on scrolls, which to me is the only real deterrent to needing everything with a ? on it, but for a dedicated trader it probably isn't, nor should it be.

I used to be a total Need before greed white knight, until I realized that most of the NBG crowd in the games I played used it as a way to get rich by selling the items they claimed to need, while using guilt and social pressure keep complaints to a mumble. Fool me once...
    edited May 2013
    sth60493 wrote: »
    I dont know if someone brought this up already but if everyone chooses need, you can always just trade class specific items at the end of the dungeon, people arent usually a-holes about it

Are you suggesting I interact with another person in an MMO...I mean actual communicate directly? /Shudder ;)
  • silivrenasilivrena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    koldmiser wrote: »
    If it says my class can't us it I pass. If it's blue and my class can use it I need just on the off chance it's better than what I have. I will need once in a while on green items my class can use. I kind of see the green any class items as up for grabs, but if your class can't use it and there is someone in the group that can it's just rude to roll need.
    If something is class specific then other classes shouldn't be able to roll on it.

This is exactly what I do when traveling with people I dont know....with friends I am lazy and pick something...then give it to them at the end of the run :p Really their is a super simple solution to this...all the dev's need to do is remove the need option if the items is not for your class. I would think this would be a super easy to flag.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    If you roll need your doing it right. All items are BoE and we all need AD.

But "I want it for money" is the very definition of "Greed". /shrug

I roll greed on stuff that isn't an upgrade for my character, until I see that the party is rolling Need on everything. Just because the internet is full of antisocial jerks, is no reason to automatically become one too.
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I always roll greed or pass. need only if it's a blue or better for my class. Some skirmishes and dungeons I've gotten little to no loot from others doing need all the time. All because they behave badly I will not add to the problem by doing it also. Sometimes, rarely though, I will get a decent group made of people that do things like I do and we enjoy the quest. I'm doubting the "needers" are getting on many friends lists..