test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Angel of Protection Companion Requires Logging Every Day for a Year!

direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
360 Ardent Coins You get one Ardent coin the first time you Invoke, per day.
That means you have to log in every day for an entire year* just to get a pet.

Anyone else find this a bit much? I mean, I understand that this is a long term goal. But even most mmorpg long term goals, aren't this ridiculous.

Take the purple proto drake from WoW. It requires you to have completed every Holiday achievement. With requires a whole year of play, but it still doesn't require you to literally play every day for a year.

With this kind of requirement, the average player will never see this companion. And even most hardcore players won't see it for more than a year, if not several.

And with the way content in mmorpgs work, who is to say how outdated this thing will be, by the time anyone can afford it?

*yeah yeah 5 days less, I know some jackhole will show up and say something about how my math sucks or some BS.
Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
Alice L'ddell - Human GF
Ludovique - Tiefling DC
Post edited by direcrow on

Comments

• tykytystykytys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is that the only way to get the coins, to log in? Seems a little, umm, obsessive if that's the case.
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Taking tedious game maintenance to a whole new level.
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tykytys wrote: »
    Is that the only way to get the coins, to log in? Seems a little, umm, obsessive if that's the case.

You get one Ardent and one Celestial coin the first time you invoke per day.
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    With this kind of requirement, the average player will never see this companion.

Perhaps it's not meant for the average player? (Just like the "1000 day veteran" rewards in Star Trek Online. Three years continuous subscription required. Well, or buying the Lifetime sub. Still, not "average".)

And that WoW thing.... I remember how bitterly people complained at each holiday, because there were one or two achievements that where very hard to get (very RNG, or other issues), thereby making the purple protodrake take 2+ years to get. So, yeah. /shrug
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    im sure after a few months they will offer one for zen or something
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And its the only other healer outside the white one sold for coins.
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Let us pray from the Gateway if our charater is in a prayer circle thing when we log out. At least then we can do it from a mobile or whatever. Maybe limit it to one per 24hrs via Gateway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    Let us pray from the Gateway if our charater is in a prayer circle thing when we log out. At least then we can do it from a mobile or whatever. Maybe limit it to one per 24hrs via Gateway.

Its Ardent coins, even if you pray each day it still takes 360 coins to buy it. So far we get 1 coin each day
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes, and I agree it's a silly thing to expect people to do, given the lack of alternate healers available. That should change post haste!

Gateway pray, or "Gatepray"™ (coined by bcvapor circa 2013*) would at least let you do the chore from the beach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ezbeeezbee Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    you dont HAVE to do that, you could do it over 2 years. pretty sure its just the celestials that disappear after not going in for a day. could be wrong ofc.
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Perhaps it's not meant for the average player? (Just like the "1000 day veteran" rewards in Star Trek Online. Three years continuous subscription required. Well, or buying the Lifetime sub. Still, not "average".)

And that WoW thing.... I remember how bitterly people complained at each holiday, because there were one or two achievements that where very hard to get (very RNG, or other issues), thereby making the purple protodrake take 2+ years to get. So, yeah. /shrug

Perhaps not, but as I had stated, it's a joyless goal even for a hardcore player. If they wanted a rare companion, that have lockboxes for that, or end game dungeons, or they could include any number of creative and possibly enjoyable goals to obtain it.

As for WoW, most of the really unreasonable requirements for the 'metas' were removed due to feedback. I have a violet proto on one of my characters. So no, it really doesn't take two years. Besides, the purple drake doesn't give any real advantage. This companion is the only healing one in the game.

I understand that not everyone should have something like an angel following them around, but it seems a little overblown.
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
    edited May 2013
    PW Employee: "Psst! I couldn't help but overhear your dilemma. It just so happens we got some nice..someone's coming! Meet me out back in 5 minutes. Bring Zen."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    It would not be that big a deal to me if we could at least have access or buy something better then a rank 15 healer that keeps getting one shotted after level 35.

Was having fun with the the game but having to revive it every few seconds is totally ruining the experience for me. Not a fan of creating alts so i'll hold on until we can progress or buy better healers.
    edited May 2013
    The skill books to go from white to green aren't in game yet:(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sundevil3sundevil3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PW Employee: "Psst! I couldn't help but overhear your dilemma. It just so happens we got some nice..someone's coming! Meet me out back in 5 minutes. Bring Zen."
    Darn you, bcvapor! I laughed so hard my Mountain Dew blew out my nose!!
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it's fine as it is. You don't need everything right away. Heaven forbid there are some items in the game that take a long time to attain.
    direcrow wrote: »
    Perhaps not, but as I had stated, it's a joyless goal even for a hardcore player. If they wanted a rare companion, that have lockboxes for that, or end game dungeons

Then people would cry about "pay to win". And maybe the casual player isn't interested in end game dungeons so it's still something to work towards. If it's joyless then don't make it your goal.
  • presilkpresilk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The skill books to go from white to green aren't in game yet:(

With no time mentioned when they're adding this right?
    Is this a way for us to spend Zen directly on other pets for now without progressing with the free, this is basically what a companion can do for you one we get given?
    With all the many pop ups of people that have been rewarded via spending money on keys, I thought it would be obvious to them by now that there invested time and energy into the game is paying off.
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    it's fine as it is. You don't need everything right away. Heaven forbid there are some items in the game that take a long time to attain.

Then people would cry about "pay to win". And maybe the casual player isn't interested in end game dungeons so it's still something to work towards. If it's joyless then don't make it your goal.

Might be fine as it is for you but i'm not login back into this game until i can have a decent healer. We already have one but its stuck on being the equivalent of running quests with a level 20 character. already said it, if i wanted to be a caretaker i would have rolled a Cleric.
    edited May 2013

Your barbs aside, the issue to me is that it is the only healer companion after lvl 15 currently. In a year's time this one will likely be pretty weak anyway with power progression. This isn't just a skin we are talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What barbs?

And yes I am aware of what it is.
    edited May 2013
    To be totally honest i dont really care about the Angel. Tried posting a thread on companion issues and it got drowned in general negative feedback. Then others tried to bring it out and it also got drowned because right now the only thing important seems to bash the game or be some sort of shinning bastion of cryptic defense.

Just want the leveling experience that i had in 15-35 with my trusty Cleric back in High levels.
    edited May 2013

/Sigh I never said I needed anything right away. READ the post your responding to. I have no problem, with long term goals but 360 day log ins is lame.

And you think the Phoera, Acolyte, and rock elemental haven't already accomplished that? What exactly would change?

Here's the thing, not making it my goal, sucks if I want to make it my goal. That doesn't fix anything. Maybe I want to give feedback, so that maybe the developers can put forth an ounce of creativity, and thought into a really cool pet, more than "log in every day for a year".

Make no mistake, this isn't a make or break issue for me. I love the game. But this smacks of lazy design.
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Funneh because truth :I
  • novagenesisxxxxnovagenesisxxxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't care about the count, so much as the fact you lose every coin if you don't log in *each day*.

Want to go camping?

No, I'll lose 6 months worth of coins!

That arm looks bad, we need to get you to a hospital.

It crosses a line into sheer stupidity.
  • lemongrenadeslemongrenades Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    I don't care about the count, so much as the fact you lose every coin if you don't log in *each day*.

Want to go camping?

That arm looks bad, we need to get you to a hospital.

It crosses a line into sheer stupidity.

you would do well to read up on what you're talking about before you post.
    You only lose the coins that can get you a ward. the companions coins will stay even if you don't pray daily.

The more you know...
  • kejmokejmo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, correct me if i'm wrong - but ardent seals stay in your inventory. Celestial disappear if you don't log in for a day, and they're useless.
    edited May 2013
    Oooh. You see the celestial seal message when you highlight them on the ardent window. Not the most intuitive setup, but a whole lot less stupid.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is the companion a one time purchase for just that character? If so it'd be completely worthless anyway (at least until/if they fix the idle/transfer issue). I suspect if you just created a character, levelled it to 11 and then only logged in once a day to invoke you'd still get to cap by the xp they give you daily before you could get that companion :P
    edited May 2013
    you would do well to read up on what you're talking about before you post.
    You only lose the coins that can get you a ward. the companions coins will stay even if you don't pray daily.

The more you know...

Please don't get rude and childish. There's people getting confused about that everywhere, and concluding (wrongly) that you do lose Ardent coins.

The fact that the big visible coin at the lower-right corner of the Ardent Store is Celestial Coins is confusing a lot of people, myself included. I didn't come to this thread until *after* researching into that and coming to an incorrect solution.
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kejmo wrote: »
    Well, correct me if i'm wrong - but ardent seals stay in your inventory. Celestial disappear if you don't log in for a day, and they're useless.

Ding! Someone can read, and it's you! The useful coins persist.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
This discussion has been closed.