test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Don't like companions in dungeons

13»

Comments

• unjustbladeunjustblade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Not everyone plays games solely for numbers and efficiency. Some of us care about the experience too. If I level a companion all the way up to its max rank, and had it out for many adventures, then I feel attached to it and would like to bring it along for new adventures that my character embarks on. This is a roleplaying game.

And you can replace any class, regardless of companions. Most epics I run do not even have a tank, several have no cleric. And this is a good thing, because here is finally a game that does what others only promised and never kept: Bring the player, not the class.

Bring the player eh? And yet you flood dungeons with NPC companions? That actively replace what should be a party member's role denying them the experience of playing that role and contributing to a party? Love your logic. Please, tell me more about how you have grown attached to a cardboard cutout npc that you see 5 other people bring into a dungeon.

People like you, who actively seek to cut the human element out of MMO's are the problem.
  • sadmummysadmummy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Totally agree. When I started doing dungeons some days ago, I was totally disappointed. And I still am. Takes all the fun from doing instances. Even more if you are a tank.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Bring the player eh? And yet you flood dungeons with NPC companions? Love your logic. Please, tell me more about how you have grown attached to a cardboard cutout npc that you see 5 other people bring into a dungeon.

Are you genuinely feeling jealous of companions? A companion does not fill one of the five spots, it is still five players. It just means that you do not have to be victim of some tank having a bad day (or that you cannot play because no tanks are available), or a healer who believes only he matters, or even a dps who behaves poorly because they think their class is so essential that they can get away with it.

Oh, I am happy to tell you more about my fluffy pixel cat that I often watch washing its cute electronic face, and then I go "aww!". In WoW, I also had the same hunter pet from 2005 to 2012! I might tell you about our exciting virtual adventures some time, maybe when we sit by an animated campfire, if you share with me the tragic events that made you care so much about how other players enjoy the game. It may do you some good to talk about them. Or better yet, be creative and turn them into a Foundry Quest!
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • unjustbladeunjustblade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Are you genuinely feeling jealous of companions? A companion does not fill one of the five spots, it is still five players. It just means that you do not have to be victim of some tank having a bad day (or that you cannot play because no tanks are available), or a healer who believes only he matters, or even a dps who behaves poorly because they think their class is so essential that they can get away with it.

Oh, I am happy to tell you more about my fluffy pixel cat that I often watch washing its cute electronic face, and then I go "aww!". In WoW, I also had the same hunter pet from 2005 to 2012! I might tell you about our exciting virtual adventures some time, maybe when we sit by an animated campfire, if you share with me the tragic events that made you care so much about how other players enjoy the game. It may do you some good to talk about them. Or better yet, be creative and turn them into a Foundry Quest!

That is so sad that even in an MMO you can't interact with actual people. I guess NPC companions are your only out then. Sorry man. Didn't know your life was so ****ty. I seriously feel bad now.

Oh, also, yes the NPC tank companions strips a GF of their tank role, and the cleric NPC the DC of their healer/support role since now they have more competition and not even with a person. And if your tank is having an off day? Get someone else. It happens when you work with humans.
  • tseitsei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    everyone just grab a cat and stack it! It's basically a non combat pet trinket that brings you with 3 gear slots and 3 gem slots(+any slots on that gear lol!) aside from that the active hunter pet type companions just seem like everyone rolled a hunter.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Oh, also, yes the NPC tank companions strips a GF of their tank role, and the cleric NPC the DC of their healer/support role since now they have more competition and not even with a person.

You do not need a tank companion, either. I have done plenty of epic dungeons without any form of tank. People need to leave their WoW experiences at the door steps. Just use Envy's GF build and you can tank when it is needed and still do heaps of damage. Problem solved. Or you can form a guild, name it "Just Us" and invite only people who agree to never use their companions in dungeons. I honestly do not understand why you feel threatened by a companion, though. If anything, they make runs smoother and faster.

And hey, I interact with people. Like you! In some cases it is not as enjoyable as watching my pixel cat wash its electronic face, but I do! :)
  • ixothixoth Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also don't like that companions come to the dungeon instance, whats purpose to have cleric companions in group?

Theres healer in group to do that particular task lol (as one example).
    edited May 2013
    You do not need a tank companion, either. I have done plenty of epic dungeons without any form of tank. People need to leave their WoW experiences at the door steps. Just use Envy's GF build and you can tank when it is needed and still do heaps of damage. Problem solved. Or you can form a guild, name it "Just Us" and invite only people who agree to never use their companions in dungeons. I honestly do not understand why you feel threatened by a companion, though. If anything, they make runs smoother and faster.

And hey, I interact with people. Like you! In some cases it is not as enjoyable as watching my pixel cat wash its electronic face, but I do! :)

Well as long as you're putting words into my mouth and making straw man arguments with your "feeling threatened remarks" without any sort of logic behind it, I hope one day you'll learn how to play without a crutch and find someone you can group with instead of your NPC's. :) There's a guild out there somewhere for people that don't know how to play their class, you just have to find it. I know you can do it.
    edited May 2013
    Well as long as we're putting words into each other's mouths and making straw man arguments with your "feeling threatened remarks" without any sort of logic behind it, I hope one day you'll learn how to play without a crutch and find someone you can group with instead of your NPC's. :)

:) Well, we can also just stop doing either of that and simply agree to disagree, without mutually judging the other person for their gameplay preferences!

You know, the ironic part is that I do dungeons with the Cat. It's a non-combat pet that gives me stats, critical chance and recovery rating. There is really no companion available that offers a better bonus. I use the cleric when I'm doing solo stuff, often, but that is just for keeping my HP bar topped off and save gold for potions. Expenses for potions and kits have become a bit of an issue at sixty,
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree. Totally clutter up everything...
  • sharzoesharzoe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ...And you can replace any class, regardless of companions. Most epics I run do not even have a tank, several have no cleric. And this is a good thing, because here is finally a game that does what others only promised and never kept: Bring the player, not the class.

The fact that you can run an "epic" without a tank and cleric speaks to how this game is way too easy! Dungeons, especially epics, should require a full party, or a very skilled one, to get through without being wiped.
  • sharzoesharzoe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When the game is so darned easy! Heck, I have taken a "squishy" Control Wizard to level 16 - without using a companion - and haven't even come close to dying even once! This is wrong.

The combat is plenty fun, but not very challenging at all.
    edited May 2013
    sharzoe wrote: »
    When the game is so darned easy! Heck, I have taken a "squishy" Control Wizard to level 16 - without using a companion - and haven't even come close to dying even once! This is wrong. The combat is plenty fun, but not very challenging at all.

Solo questing gets harder after 30 or so. I started to struggle in the 40s with my CW and the higher 50s allowed little room for error. If you stick to not using a companion, you'll find plenty of challenging situations! There are quite a few Foundry Quests that are challenging at higher levels, more so than the "regular" quests.

As for epics -- well, you do need (want) 5 people, and you have to play smarter in the higher tiers (using CC, etc.), but you don't absolutely need a tank for everything. See, tanks in this game are not WoW tanks. Even if played to perfection, they will not stand there with all mobs around them. It is always chaotic. They tank large mobs and bosses, all the trash typically runs around. The dungeon experience is just very different from WoW's.

Some dungeons are also harder than others. I have yet to actually finish Dread Vault on *normal*.
  • vyssalarevyssalare Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The companions aren't very good at all so not sure how they make it much easier. They are essentially cannon fodder and all 5 combined don't equal a decent player. Some people role-play and think of the companion as their characters friend/pet/protege. Doesn't make sense that they wouldn't go with you.

I find it sad that in endgame the best companions are just glorified stat sticks. Wish they didn't put those types in or at least balanced them against actives.

For clerics there definitely needs to be a way to make them untargetable so that it isn't impossible to heal.