test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Don't like companions in dungeons

sevisarthesevisarthe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I really don't, its total chaos and diminishes the whole 'party' experience.

I think it would be a better deal if they popped out when someone in the party leaves, or if you decide to run a dungeon with 2-3 people - so they kind of fill out the missing spots (up to the total of 5).

.. my 2 cents
Post edited by sevisarthe on

Comments

• prevail517prevail517 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree. This is pretty much how it was done in the Star wars MMO, SWKotOR. I loved it. Companions should only be around when you're in a party, or at least not when you're in a full party.
  • ashleyaddictionashleyaddiction Member Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually hated the fact I couldn't use my companion in a full group in SW:TOR, it ruined the game for me. Companions here are nowhere near as strong as SW:TOR companions... which use full player gear, and here they use a couple of items. I love the companion system here and I don't think it should be changed.
  • epmd2epmd2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sevisarthe wrote: »

Totally second that! €dit: another post got eaten by the internet-monster... am i the only one having this issue, where every full-posts is incompleted when you hit reply?!

Anyhow, have 5 tank companions and there is no need for a real tank. Add animal companions only next time, a town full of tank companions with the same look is just silly. WHY do we need them anyway in the first place? PvE is not hard at all so far (lvl <30) and besides the dogg aint doing much dps, only good for the knockbacks every 1h once or so.
  • ezbeeezbee Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    yeah i hate having the companions in the dungeon, they dont have em in pvp thank god.
  • prowesssssprowesssss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am also in disapproval of companions in a full party. Absolutely diminishes the quality of party-play.

How effective they are is unimportant, Minions should be for solo and small-man action ONLY.. Otherwise, why not let companions in PvP?
  • dezman00000dezman00000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I totally disagree.

We need more love for companions in general, be able to setup tactics (ala NWN/DA) and so on.
  • mrz1mmersmrz1mmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    epmd2 wrote: »
    Totally second that!
  • sevisarthesevisarthe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I totally disagree.

We need more love for companions in general, be able to setup tactics (ala NWN/DA) and so on.

I agree companions need more love and tactics would be a fun addition - but a social thing like dungeons where you go with *real people* is a place where they don't belong.
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually love having my companion in the dungeons. I hated having to put mine away in swtor. Never been confused once during dungeons. Its no different than a hunter in WoW.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You guys are ignoring the non-combat pets that give huge stat bonuses, by the way. If they made my 1 million AD pet irrelevant (plus whatever it costs to upgrade him to epic when the books come out) they would have more than just me angry at them. And the people who have the expensive pets are likely the big spenders. This won't be changed, or if it will, the non combat pets will still be allowed.
  • mrz1mmersmrz1mmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    epmd2 wrote: »
    Anyhow, have 5 tank companions and there is no need for a real tank. Add animal companions only next time, a town full of tank companions with the same look is just silly. WHY do we need them anyway in the first place? PvE is not hard at all so far (lvl <30) and besides the dogg aint doing much dps, only good for the knockbacks every 1h once or so.

When I hit 16 on my GWF I was extremely glad, because I knew I could get a cleric companion, which has helped me immensely with surviveablity.... Unlike my CW which seems to just breeze through everything without breaking a sweat, my GWF was burning through pots like candy and struggling to stay alive on anything stronger than the weakest mobs.... You see, the GWF class is kinda like a tank that isn't very tanky, and paired with mediocre damage, he doesn't take down mobs very fast, in my opinion the GWF would be nearly unsoloable in mid-later content without a good companion..... so before you go on about how "easy" the content is, and about how you don't think anyone needs a companion, maybe you should try a GWF, and for contrast a CW to see how great the difference is, then see how fast you reconsider.
  • mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    yea companions in dungeons and skirmishes is fail. full groups should not have them, only for soloing.
  • jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    I loved the idea of having companions with you in the party runs.
  • sanguinedsanguined Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Best would be if companions only show up if you're not in a full party. Like, 4 players, and 1 random compaion. Or 2 players and both companions, of 3 players and two random companions. Having the full 5 players with also 5 companions, making the party a total of 10, is just overkill. Plus the companions are basically wow hunter pets that 'auto attack' things that you attack. Which makes things even more hectic. It quickly turns into a giant clusterf*ck.
  • immagikman2immagikman2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I like having my companion with me in dungeon runs, though it would be nice to have more control over them so you could keep them from pulling agro from the tank.
    If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eventually most people will start using augment companions and it won't be an issue.
  • frostmystalfrostmystal Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I disagree with the OP, I love having my companion at all times. I am actually participating in dungeons in this game cause I can have my companion with me. We need more love for companions, and more customization, particularly around how they look to add diversity.

I will not participate in pvp because companions cannot be used.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013

I think it would be a better deal if they popped out when someone in the party leaves, or if you decide to run a dungeon with 2-3 people - so they kind of fill out the missing spots (up to the total of 5).

.. my 2 cents

Well dismiss yours and everything will be fine. but the entire game is built around companions I don't see them changing this anytime soon.
  • jadedragon1337jadedragon1337 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well dismiss yours and everything will be fine. but the entire game is built around companions I don't see them changing this anytime soon.

This. Just dismiss your pet or make it a group requirement. Not everyone is around online when you need them and pets make it where everyone can play, not just the self entitled elitists.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    I actually love having my companion in the dungeons. I hated having to put mine away in swtor. Never been confused once during dungeons. Its no different than a hunter in WoW.

Ditto here.
  • purpleorbespurpleorbes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 186 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yep. I agree. If you don't like your companion then just dismiss them and be done with it. No need to have the game changed. I like my lvl 30 panther around. Im level 60 and the content does get harder, especially the dungeons.
  • dreamo1984dreamo1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ya, it seems like theres enough people in here that could form a guild that requires companions to be put away during dungeons. I don't see why you need to force the rest of us to do it too.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you don't like them dismiss them and find like minded people to run dungeons with you, once you start forcing your preferences on others is when you will start having real issues.

Last night we had one guy who started berating those who were using the companions and telling them they had to dismiss them, it didn't go so well for him as everyone else asked him to leave.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dreamo1984 wrote: »
    Ya, it seems like theres enough people in here that could form a guild that requires companions to be put away during dungeons. I don't see why you need to force the rest of us to do it too.

This is perfect for them. They should just make a guild and leave use and our awesome Tank/Healer companions alone. I for one wouldnt be able to do anything as a cleric without my tank.
  • dezman00000dezman00000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Start a guild, the "No companions in dungeons"-guild. That's what the guild feature is for after all, to gather like-minded individuals. :p
  • regnorvexregnorvex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    [Edited till I figure out how to delete a message]
    "Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xantris wrote: »
    Eventually most people will start using augment companions and it won't be an issue.

Are there cheap augment companions? I doubt most people will if there aren't.
  • lexxorlexxor Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013

.. my 2 cents

I was going to post the same sort of thing today. As a cleric, 10 toons running around inside the tunnels of a 5 man dungeon is crazy. Trying to do a single heal on the tank is near impossible because there are 6 toons up there bashing on the mob. Plus I feel it kills the comradery of a 5 man dungeon. I can't tell who is real and who is fake till we're half way in. Of course the fact that no one seems to talk in chat anymore doesn't help : (. I type and type, and people just go on their rush through the dungeon because everyone wants to hit 60 in a week and then move on to a new game.

Sorry off topic. I enjoyed the way swtor did it. Where a companion would fill a hole, but no more than 5 were to be allowed. Or if we stay with all the companions out, the dungeons should be made wider like a 10 man raid would be designed. These small spaces designed for a 5 man group filled with 10 is too much.
  • stasispoststasispost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the OP and this last post in particular. The biggest problem is it's making the dungeons too easy. I can see why people would want to keep their companions around at all times but it creates balance problems. SWTOR had the right idea.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you don't like them, don't use them. Don't expect everyone else to adjust to your whim that is contrary to the design of the game, which is built around each player having an active companion, except for the very early levels.