test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PSA: Avoid using Foundry experience maps

cashcharaccashcharac Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just a heads up - If you create them, you will eventually get banned. Created a ghetto one yesterday (bunch of ogres boxed in a bunch of traps), and leveled to 60 in a few hours; logged on today to a temporarily suspended account. Not saying I didn't deserve it, but as there's no warnings in-game, I would suggest that you avoid creating these maps.

Edit: Not a whine post; exploiting is bad. Just helping others to avoid my fails.
Post edited by cashcharac on

Comments

• Options
    aveanavean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    should of hid said room behind a secret door with a password that nobody would know in a area nobody would expect, and have the rest of the mission just plain suck so nobody would play it or notice. Then you could only be banned if they did so due to lvling speed not complaints on the forums.
  • Options
    cashcharaccashcharac Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    avean wrote: »
    should of hid said room behind a secret door with a password that nobody would know in a area nobody would expect, and have the rest of the mission just plain suck so nobody would play it or notice. Then you could only be banned if they did so due to lvling speed not complaints on the forums.

Haha hadn't thought of that.
  • Options
    syrumsyrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 168 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I thought those XP foundries were hilarious. However, I blame Cryptic/PWI for enabling such stacking to make these possible. They should hire you to find things like this and make sure they aren't in the game. *nod*

All in all, having a level 60 through questing alone, I'm dreading leveling my second toon through the exact same quests/zones. The foundries I messed with a bit yesterday gave some good entertainment and broke up the repetition of leveling again.
  • Options
    jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    syrum wrote: »
    Personally, I thought those XP foundries were hilarious. However, I blame Cryptic/PWI for enabling such stacking to make these possible. They should hire you to find things like this and make sure they aren't in the game. *nod*

All in all, having a level 60 through questing alone, I'm dreading leveling my second toon through the exact same quests/zones. The foundries I messed with a bit yesterday gave some good entertainment and broke up the repetition of leveling again.

And what should they do exactly? No really. The foundry is limited as it is BECAUSE of the concern of exploits. There's no accounting for human behavior. People are responsible for their own behavior. Cryptic/PWE doesn't need to be your parent.
  • Options
    lilura138lilura138 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cashcharac wrote: »
    Just a heads up - If you create them, you will eventually get banned. Created a ghetto one yesterday (bunch of ogres boxed in a bunch of traps), and leveled to 60 in a few hours; logged on today to a temporarily suspended account. Not saying I didn't deserve it, but as there's no warnings in-game, I would suggest that you avoid creating these maps.

Edit: Not a whine post; exploiting is bad. Just helping others to avoid my fails.

Did you get a email saying that your being Temp Banned?
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Temporarily suspended != banned. Unless in PW terms temporary means forever.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Should have been permanently banned.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you dont needed a warning...i think its called common sense
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone with common sense can "avoid your fails".
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    syrumsyrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 168 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jdnyc wrote: »
    And what should they do exactly? No really. The foundry is limited as it is BECAUSE of the concern of exploits. There's no accounting for human behavior. People are responsible for their own behavior. Cryptic/PWE doesn't need to be your parent.

Yes, people are responsible for their own behavior. However, society these days does whatever it can to find a shortcut. Knowing this, how do they permit coding that allows for stacking like some of these foundries had? I couldn't stack items in houses in EQ2 like you can in a foundry. If anything, Cryptic/PWI should smack their foreheads and fix the space coding and move on. The system was abused, fix it and let those who abused it know it wasn't intended, slap them on the wrist and make sure to notify players of their rules regarding this type of thing.

I don't support exploiters, I really hate when people exploit in games. I did check out a few of these XP foundries, got a good laugh and moved on.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Yes, people are responsible for their own behavior. However, society these days does whatever it can to find a shortcut. Knowing this, how do they permit coding that allows for stacking like some of these foundries had?

There were limitations on how many mobs could be placed in a given area.
    The exploit was getting around the limitations.

Where there is a will there is a way. ;)
  • Options
    kaasdoekkaasdoek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    temp ban? means still worth it.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Never understood the drive for people who want to level to max as fast as possible all they are doing is harming themselves imo. They get there and then there's very little to do even with the foundry in place and then we hear those types come on these forums complaining because they are bored. Why do people put themselves thru that?
  • Options
    jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes, people are responsible for their own behavior. However, society these days does whatever it can to find a shortcut. Knowing this, how do they permit coding that allows for stacking like some of these foundries had? I couldn't stack items in houses in EQ2 like you can in a foundry. If anything, Cryptic/PWI should smack their foreheads and fix the space coding and move on. The system was abused, fix it and let those who abused it know it wasn't intended, slap them on the wrist and make sure to notify players of their rules regarding this type of thing.

I don't support exploiters, I really hate when people exploit in games. I did check out a few of these XP foundries, got a good laugh and moved on.

I know a lot about the Foundry...a lot. I have no idea what specifically about stacking you're talking about.

I won't say what they're doing exactly, but what they are doing has nothing to do with 'stacking.' If anything, they're chaining encounters. Which WHEN USED PROPERLY, is actually really awesome feature. Plenty of quests have used it to make challenging pseudo boss fights for instance.

People will exploit anything they can. They will justify it by saying that Cryptic/PWE should prevent them from doing so. It's a BS argument. Accountability lies with the ones that create the exploit and those that abuse it. That's it.
  • Options
    gargaironborngargaironborn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just got banned for running this foundry once (without even knowing what the actual foundry is)! So really dont run anything suspicious if you dont want your account banned!
  • Options
    doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just got banned for running this foundry once (without even knowing what the actual foundry is)! So really dont run anything suspicious if you dont want your account banned! And now I have to deal with customer service :-(

uhuh of course.
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There's a good incentive to grind to max level so that you can run end-game dungeons and charge a boat load of AD for gear in order to convert it into Zen. There is literally a monetary reason to exploit in Neverwinter.

Hard to blame people for this type of behavior. After all, it's 'in the game' as-is even if it's unintended. Guessing it isn't 'in the game' now though, which is also fine. It's a big game of tug of war, and I somehow doubt they'll ever get rid of power level maps. If anyone remembers the COH Architect you'll know it was a constant battle between power levelers and the moderators.

Giving someone a temp ban for providing free troubleshooting and game testing in an open beta game is pretty insane though. Unless, of course, 'open beta' is 100% code for 'launch' and simply a code word to defend things like unstable servers...couldn't be that though yeah?
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    lilura138lilura138 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just got banned for running this foundry once (without even knowing what the actual foundry is)! So really dont run anything suspicious if you dont want your account banned!

You got a 3d ban?
  • Options
    vertisonevertisone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited May 2013
    my entire guild is lvl 60 with multiple characters each. you won't get banned as long as the mobs are able to attack you. don't let OP discourage you from getting to endgame asap.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    Giving someone a temp ban for providing free troubleshooting and game testing in an open beta game is pretty insane though. Unless, of course, 'open beta' is 100% code for 'launch' and simply a code word to defend things like unstable servers...couldn't be that though yeah?

Good point. Actually from a legal standpoint anyone banned who has paid money probably has a real case here for damages given that PWE refers to it as Open Beta and not a proper launch. This has the potential to go really pear-shaped assuming anyone banned had the gall to call PWE out on it.
  • Options
    kalwrathkalwrath Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Good point. Actually from a legal standpoint anyone banned who has paid money probably has a real case here for damages given that PWE refers to it as Open Beta and not a proper launch. This has the potential to go really pear-shaped assuming anyone banned had the gall to call PWE out on it.

Well PWE has the gall to call this an Open Beta ;)
  • Options
    gargaironborngargaironborn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure, it just says banned. No email nothing, not even an forceful disconnect. I have even died in that foundry a few times since i was testing with how many ogres can i ron around, kiting and damaging them. I wont post any more personal replies to this topic since I will probably be banned from this acc as well (and leaving the game forever)
  • Options
    luciferstwinluciferstwin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would be nice to know how long we are suspended for... got no email or anything :/ Pretty ****ed up that they suspend us for using something that they put into the game if you ask me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There were limitations on how many mobs could be placed in a given area.
    The exploit was getting around the limitations.

Where there is a will there is a way. ;)

Thats not true. I made a map, using no exploit or anything, just had a bunch of mobs.. When I reached the error message saying non more could be spawned.. I stopped an I am still suspended.

My map was just a big empty field with 100 hulks in it. You could be attacked by the hulks, and you could attack them. There was nothing that "exploited" the game.. was just a huge kite fest.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As a thank you to the intrepid testers that discovered this exploit they should be able to keep all their stuff accumulated through their exhaustive game testing. Especially since it's beta, right?

I mean, the F2P people are providing a service here for no payment. That's the argument for all the cash shop items being in the game, right? Because Cryptic is providing a free game so they should be able to charge insane amounts for circumventing their many cash-walls.

Oh wait, sorry. This isn't an open beta, it's a launch. Saying you should be able to take legal action is pretty nuts, but banning people for essentially testing your game for you when it's specifically called a beta is equally silly. Worst case people should have their level reverted or currency removed. Bans are the worst possible solution to this problem that was created through inadequate testing of the Foundry in the first place.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    As a thank you to the intrepid testers that discovered this exploit they should be able to keep all their stuff accumulated through their exhaustive game testing. Especially since it's beta, right?

I mean, the F2P people are providing a service here for no payment. That's the argument for all the cash shop items being in the game, right? Because Cryptic is providing a free game so they should be able to charge insane amounts for circumventing their many cash-walls.

Oh wait, sorry. This isn't an open beta, it's a launch. Saying you should be able to take legal action is pretty nuts, but banning people for essentially testing your game for you when it's specifically called a beta is equally silly. Worst case people should have their level reverted or currency removed. Bans are the worst possible solution to this problem that was created through inadequate testing of the Foundry in the first place.

Inadequate testing of the Foundry? You could test the Foundry from here to the end of time and you'd never get all the exploits out of it. It is an exploit generating machine - the only solution is to ban early and ban often.

None of that temporary suspension - that's not a deterrent :)
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thats not true. I made a map, using no exploit or anything, just had a bunch of mobs.. When I reached the error message saying non more could be spawned.. I stopped an I am still suspended.

My map was just a big empty field with 100 hulks in it. You could be attacked by the hulks, and you could attack them. There was nothing that "exploited" the game.. was just a huge kite fest.

Personally I don't actually see the problem with this type of quest - in AD&D we had pure Hack & Slash campaigns. Not my cup of tea as it sounds, to put it mildly, mind-numbingly boring, but if there is no opportunity to kill massed mobs in perfect safety which seems to be have been the exploit then a ban is a serious over-reaction.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Personally I don't actually see the problem with this type of quest - in AD&D we had pure Hack & Slash campaigns. Not my cup of tea as it sounds, to put it mildly, mind-numbingly boring, but if there is no opportunity to kill massed mobs in perfect safety which seems to be have been the exploit then a ban is a serious over-reaction.

Exactly, I dont see why we should get in trouble for it. I would do the same thing out in the real world if there was more mobs then 2-3 per group. Thats what an AoE class is good for... to AoE... Just pretty stupid that we get punished for using something they put in the game for us to use.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Exactly, I dont see why we should get in trouble for it. I would do the same thing out in the real world if there was more mobs then 2-3 per group. Thats what an AoE class is good for... to AoE... Just pretty stupid that we get punished for using something they put in the game for us to use.

And this is why AoE's get nerfed to hit "X targets max."

So when it happens, blame this guy.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So people are logging in and just says, "Banned". No email. And you haven't contact PWE yet?
This discussion has been closed.