What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Improve GWFs

redburstredburst Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Improve GWFs.
I mean what the hell?

PvE:
- Doing pathetic damage with a huge two-handed sword (makes perfect sense, NOT)
- Due to the low dps, you are dying like a fly

Dungeons:
- No real role
- Low DPS
- Worse than a tank in survivability

PvP:
- Worse than bad DPS
- gets cc'd all the time
- no real dodge

I mean what the hell, why don't they at least get a little damage buff this is just straight out ridiculous.

How can you release such a class and not notice how broken it is?
Post edited by redburst on

Comments

• xerokaiser0xerokaiser0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Supposedly it gets better as you go on, though I'm having trouble wading through the GWF's horribly unfun early levels long enough to find out for myself.

Why an AoE class is saddled with a bunch of weak single-target abilities early on is beyond me.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWF is not a hit one guy hard type class . Its an area attack beast. You can spec differently to do more single target damage starting mid-30's . But its true roll is stopping the group from getting zerged . You do more damage the more targets you hit per swing , this is just amazing when you get surrounded . You actually thrive in the situation the other classes die in .
    Shure pvp this wont happen , but hey if they change the damage for pvp they will make this the only class to play then . If this class did more single target damage then you wouldn't have any challenge to play it .
  • vilmalithvilmalith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PvE - I've not had any problems in pve. I'm lvl 28 now (just started playing on saturday) and haven't experienced any "hard" lvl's yet. Maybe my expectations are lower, my dmg seems on par, much higher then say a rogue at times. And I haven't died in the open world.

Dungeons - again, low dps? I've done a number of dungeons now (a number of times) and either show as 1 or 2 for damage done. You expected to have the same survivability as a tank?

PvP - again, low dps? My only gripe with pvp is cc needs to have some sort of diminishing returns applied.

Low DPS may be a player thing? I don't think I have great gear, nor do I have a great build right now, but I haven't had any issues with dps or survivability.
  • kroxywuffkroxywuff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It has been said before, but at 60 if you aren't doing as much damage as a TR or more in dungeons then you're playing the class incorrectly. I have 0 problems in pve and pvp murdering people.

Follow Kartofflen's or Thorin's guide.
  • bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    INB4 "GWF is fine" ....too late

Do what I did, role a DPS speced GF and do more DPS than the GWF, if you arent outdpsing a GWF as a GF, you're doing it wrong, and lol @ at GWF doing dps anywhere near a TR
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    vilmalith wrote: »
    PvP - again, low dps? My only gripe with pvp is cc needs to have some sort of diminishing returns applied.

I agree wholeheartedly... getting chain CC'd is no fun. CC needs a diminishing return mechanic badly.
  • idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Their AoE encounter abilities are actually horrible, their only GOOD aoe damage comes from their at-wills. My only gripes are that they scale too slowly, so below 30 pvp is horrible and it shouldnt be that way, and that Slow effects only GWF's dodge mechanic, and limits no one elses.
  • purutzilpurutzil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PvE - I've not had any problems in pve. I'm lvl 28 now (just started playing on saturday) and haven't experienced any "hard" lvl's yet. Maybe my expectations are lower, my dmg seems on par, much higher then say a rogue at times. And I haven't died in the open world.
    Wait... what rogue are you playing with? Cause at that level a rogue will EASILY out damage a GWF. People can be bad too. Heck, my last dungeon as a CLERIC HEALER I was the 2nd highest damage in group while providing greater healing then I did dps. With a cleric companion you won't really die no matter what class that low level on solo. My cleric has easily out damaged my GWF in terms of her current level (which is low) which I'm sure will continue for a while. It was only at level 32ish I was actually able to dps harder then a cleric, GF by a good notch above rather then being far to close for my liking. Sorry, but their damage is just sheer pathetic then.

At max its far better but still rather then a dodge GWF just gets a sprint which just takes far to long to use to actually dodge some of the abilities. Even as a charge in its not really that great to use to even run into things, It honestly feels its distance per one sprint is perhaps on par with say a rogue of CW, but with a much longer delay in getting to your destination, the only real benefit is it doesn't have that brief pause at the end and can be combined smoothly. Unfortunately too you take so much damage, without unstoppable its basically like being made of paper in terms of the damage you can actually absorb. I'm fine with that but we NEED a method of dodging quicker if we are going to be paper thin without unstoppable.
    GWF level 60 (Beholder) - The pains of leveling!
    Cleric level 5X (Dragon) - Holy goblin so much easier!
  • redburstredburst Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Dungeons - again, low dps? I've done a number of dungeons now (a number of times) and either show as 1 or 2 for damage done. You expected to have the same survivability as a tank?

Low DPS may be a player thing? I don't think I have great gear, nor do I have a great build right now, but I haven't had any issues with dps or survivability.

Not sure what you played, but it sure as heck wasn't a GWF.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PvE - I'm lvl 28 now (just started playing on saturday) my dmg seems on par, much higher then say a rogue at times.

Ha ha ha ha. Wait a minute - you are serious.

I don't think you have ever played a Rogue, because if you had, you might notice something which makes your remarks hard to believe.

HINT: Compare the damage of the Rogue's AT-WILL ability with that of the GWF's ENCOUNTER or even DAILY powers at lower levels if you want a good laugh.
  • redburstredburst Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    want them to buff em up in next patch -.-
  • daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play a GWF and even I'm getting tired of seeing 10 thread a day on this issue.

No you didnt.......

Unless the guy was drunk eating donuts the whole time.

I've been GWF since BW3 and even then, before they got nerfed, at 10 a rogue would crit for over 1k, I was criting for 70.....

I ran a dungeon at 18 in this release, I was fourth.

I ran one with cleric and my brother thats a 60 rogue. I was second with 60k.....he had over 700, granted thats at level 60 it should be that lopsided, but still perspective. at 35 rogues were critting for 7k+. I think I'm 20 and barely breaking triple digits right now, I may be into the 200s.

Just a little perspective into how much more damage the rogues actually do.
    redburst wrote: »
    Not sure what you played, but it sure as heck wasn't a GWF.

Yeah
  • darkhandsdarkhands Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree wholeheartedly... getting chain CC'd is no fun. CC needs a diminishing return mechanic badly.

While I agree with this reasoning, I also consider diminishing returns in CC as a way of reducing drastically the efficiency of dedicated controllers which is not exactly a good thing.

Then again, it becomes pretty obvious over time that PVP itself seems to have been an afterthought in a largely PVE-oriented game.

After all, DnD never was balanced in a way that would allow PVP.
  • geoffreysgeoffreys Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kroxywuff wrote: »
    It has been said before, but at 60 if you aren't doing as much damage as a TR or more in dungeons then you're playing the class incorrectly. I have 0 problems in pve and pvp murdering people.

Follow Kartofflen's or Thorin's guide.

I have no doubt that is true. My own GWF has imporved with levels and time. But as others have said, not all of us just want to get to end game and shine. I want to enjoy the journey there too
  • darkhandsdarkhands Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    geoffreys wrote: »
    I have no doubt that is true. My own GWF has imporved with levels and time. But as others have said, not all of us just want to get to end game and shine. I want to enjoy the journey there too

Now that you mention it, it's so weird!

Usually, in DnD PnP at least, you'd expect such progression from a caster class because early level casters have very little to no spells whereas, by 20 they can unleash apocalyptic level magics, while fighter starts ahead of everyone else, yet progresses more steadily and slowly compared to other classes.

Someone messed the progression chart big time on that one...
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love how people here basically call another guy a liar just because he isn't struggling like they are with a class. I've been watching a lot of other GWFs play when I'm on one of my other characters, and the majority of what I see are people who have yet to figure out what the class can really do. Hell I learn a few new tricks everytime I play; stop worrying about TR single target damage, and focus on your own play. Too many people try to play the GWF like a typical no thought DPS class, and although it's clearly not brain surgery, it's more than just stabby stabby stabby poof. It's more like whacky whacky sprint turn sprint whacky slam sprint sprint sprint kaaapowww! Oh everything in the room is dead...

Personally I love the class, and sure, while my competitive side would like to do a bit more DPS, it's really just an issue of ego, not a broken class.
    edited May 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    I love how people here basically call another guy a liar just because he isn't struggling like they are with a class.

Not everyone here is calling him a liar straight up (although many people are clearly thinking that).

But when you make statements like:
    I'm lvl 28 now ...
    dmg seems on par, much higher then say a rogue .....
    Dungeons - either show as 1 or 2 for damage done.

then you can expect a certain amount of disbelief from anyone who has played both a GWF and TR at that level.
  • sirkimjongsirkimjong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    You're dead wrong.

I'm lvl 52 now, and I started GWF because everyone said it sucked. While my dmg feels somewhat lackluster in PVP matches, I still get around fairly well.

In PVE however, I'm a beast. I easily get the highest dmg scores because of the adds (sometimes outdmged by a trickster).

I don't die very often, thanks to my cleric compaion (who in her turn, dies when people look at her but it's all good).

I'm fairly happy with how the GWF is holding up, especially around alot of adds. I used the forsaken GWF build on this forum and I'm forever in his gratitude. I feel so ******* MANLY.
    edited May 2013
    sirkimjong wrote: »
    I feel so ******* MANLY.

So it took a computer game to finally do that for you? Interesting.......
  • malganysxmalganysx Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    total quote this post.... i never seen an MMO with warrior suck like this... i build all for DPS! and any other fuc..ing class beat my damage... and in pvp... o god pain... evry class run away from me and i dont do any serious damage... WTF! i play D&D and warrior is a Striker class 5W 4W+prone 2handed weapon=best at will of the game(not here) mha... i do like 1 dagger of a rogue.. only 1... lol my GF do more dmg than my GWF this is horribile
  • idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    GWF is not a hit one guy hard type class . Its an area attack beast. You can spec differently to do more single target damage starting mid-30's . But its true roll is stopping the group from getting zerged . You do more damage the more targets you hit per swing , this is just amazing when you get surrounded . You actually thrive in the situation the other classes die in .
    Shure pvp this wont happen , but hey if they change the damage for pvp they will make this the only class to play then . If this class did more single target damage then you wouldn't have any challenge to play it .
    To be more specific, hes an AT-WILL area attack beast, he has no real aoe burst encounters, so he needs a clump of mobs to hold still for a prolonged amount of time, this is not going to happen in PvP (unless its a cleric in his blue shield, but only because you cant hurt him)

GWF has scaling issues, pre-30 needs some love. Also in PvP they are CC'd alot, because sprinting leaves us CC vulnerable unlike dodging.
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    So it took a computer game to finally do that for you? Interesting.......

Did I ever say that? Naw. Back to your cave batwoman.
    edited May 2013
    Did I ever say that? Naw. Back to your cave batwoman.

No, but as it seemed like such a big deal to you, that is the most obvious conclusion, mister "I feel so ******* MANLY" GREAT weapon fighter.....
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    No, but as it seemed like such a big deal to you, that is the most obvious conclusion, mister "I feel so ******* MANLY" GREAT weapon fighter.....

Aww, an insecure kid trying to pick a fight online.

Would you rather play a class where you feel horrible with? Nah. If you get no feeling whatsoever from a game, then whats the use of playing one? I enjoy this game, I have fun and I feel cool while slashing an online sword on a few pixels. I don't care? Good luck on whatever great arguement you're going to post now.
  • timkalextimkalex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love my GWF, he's currently 27 and most skirmishes i go into, i am 2nd overall. There have been some really good threads out there that show different builds which have been most amazing and helpfull, don't be so frown with the GWF. There main role is crowd control of mobs which they can aoe the hell out of mobs. It really depends on how you play and which direction you go forth. If you search for Chainer, his GWF at pvp really rocks the fights. Don't give up just yet, don't knock untill you rock it.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Played 3 PvPs with GWF today, lvl 60. You have tons of mobility with Punishing Charge. Slam works wonders in a XvsX situation, while Crescendo won't miss and deals a solid amount. I think he's okish, hard to kite if you move properly. GFs still are hard to crack but I didn't had problems against Rogues, they felt very squishy.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like the naysayers are just mad and (or) bad.

Ran Epic Castle Never last night, finished in 1st place for damage done and damage taken.

Group make up was TRx2 CW DC GWF.

Get gear, play at 60, then you will be allowed to comment on GWF as a class.
    edited May 2013

/snip

We both have our reasons for picking GWF. Mine is because GWF is fun and challenging, yours is because it makes you feel manly. Never said your reasons were wrong, just interesting as I have never heard of anyone saying playing a computer game made them feel manly before.....
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    awwww snap
  • silentnights1silentnights1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    I'm level 44 currently. In PVP I know my role is to cap the back flag, and provide distraction for my group. I am fairly hearty, and can do some damage if they are up in my face. 1v1 vs a rogue and I will die, but they will take a beating.

In PVE I am a beast and started to feel that way around level 35. I come in first or second in damage done in dungeons, usually losing out to a controller wizard (who just loves to scatter my mobs to the 4 corners of the map). I am not a striker class. My role is AOE, and that should be my focus, and I do so very well. A rogue is pure single target, and pure striker, and they excel at that. They are the only striker class in the game at the moment, and one of the reasons they do so well at striking is because they carry two stat sticks.

Is GWF fun to play...yes most of the time. If you play solo you may have a rough time. We excel in groups and especially dungeons. If you are looking for end game dungeon running, this class is the one for you. If you want to play PVP, go rogue, cleric, or CW. Fast leveling, go rogue. Big numbers, go rogue. I don't know about the rest of you, but I like having a variety of classes to play that all play differently than each other. If the GWF was just a rogue with AOE, there would be no rogues.