test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why so much complaining about Zen Store??

Comments

• Options
    petraabellipetraabelli Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most other MMO's announce when something happens like hard content getting cleared. This game announces when people win when gambling with the lock boxes for some crappy horse mount which then renders their other mount to a bank slot, then others are like "oooh" then they start gambling with cash to get the same thing. Basically this is legal gambling for kids. Not a computer game.

You can't even turn off the system notification in the "Rearrange HUD" section of the game, you can hide every part of the HUD except the stupid Lockbox notification.
  • Options
    ohrlynetohrlynet Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i bet 99% of the complainers haven't reached level 30 yet, let alone 60 ^^
  • Options
    petraabellipetraabelli Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ohrlynet wrote: »
    i bet 99% of the complainers haven't reached level 30 yet, let alone 60 ^^

Because they probably quit?
  • Options
    dadeleviathandadeleviathan Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    The amount of people in this thread suggesting that people who are complaining are 'entitled,' kind of boggles my mind.

If I walk into McDonalds, order a big mac, and they charge me $30 for it, I am not "entitled,' if I complain about that. You can't turn around and say, "Don't be so entitled. Go home and make your own burger if it's too expensive." At least you can't if you don't want to sound like a gibbering idiot.

The simple economics is that regardless of the amount of money neverwinter is making now, they would be making far more if they were charging decent prices. Think about how many people would have bought the HotN pack if it were $50 instead of the absolutely asinine $200.

With a free to play MMO, what makes or breaks you is the amount of people playing your game, not just the amount of money you are making. Money is important, yes. There is staff to pay, servers to upkeep, etc. But at the end of the day, getting 1000 people to buy a $50 HotN pack is better than getting 500 people to buy it at $200. Yes, you're losing $50,000 at the get-go, but you are gaining 500 more players, which in the long run will be more profitable.

The fact of the matter is that most of the people who bought the $200 pack are not rich. They will most likely not monetize with NW again. If they do, it will most likely be small amounts. Why? Because any sane person wouldn't after dropping that amount of money into a game. It's the equivalent of paying for an entire year's worth of WoW up front.

Breaking it down, if you have 1000 people buy the $50 pack, you now have 1000 people who will be more likely to continue to monetize your game. Compare that to the 500 people who bought the $200 pack, who just maybe will monetize your game once or twice in the future. Once or twice is not going to pay the bills.

The simple fact of the matter is that more customers is always better than less. PWE is essentially sacrificing long term profit for short term rewards. This will come back to bite them in the *** if they don't change their ways. 1000 customers who have a good chance of monetizing your game is better than 500 who have a moderate to slim chance.
  • Options
    bellringer01bellringer01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whole conversation is pretty much moot. The disgruntled people are always the most vocal, hence the number of posts and complaints about Zen pricing. The folks who have no problems with it, and there are a lot, are pretty much silent since they are happy paying the listed prices.

This conversation will go round and round and round and nothing will change anytime soon. Cryptic and PWE are making money as is so thats how it'll stay, untill such time as that changes imo.

Personally, I bought the founders pack and I'm happy with that. I'll take my time and trade AD for Zen as I go, not interested in the latest flashy shiny from shop. I sell anything I dont plan to use and I havent had any issues with bagspace [shrug]

Seems to me there are some valid points being made by folks on both sides of the fence, but since we are not 'in the loop' as to any potential changes to pricing PWE/Cryptic may or may not be planning, just do what you think is best, pay if ya want, dont pay if ya dont want and roll with the punches.

Cheers
  • Options
    sagasaintsagasaint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I get a dollar for every time I hear someone saying a game's gonna fail when it actually doesn't, I'd be a millionaire. Here's something you should consider before you start slamming NWN's pricy cash shop: there are rich kids out there who are willing to spend 2 grand a month on video games. It's happened in Jade Dynasty, it's happened in Dota, it's happened in every f2p game there is. .
    it has never hapened in dota. it has happened in Jade Dynasty. actually, it has happened in all PWE games, of which this is no exception.
    its called whaling, and IT IS the reaosn why tht games have failed. go check JD, go check Forsaken World, go check Perfect World, WoI, BoI, ESO...you'll find a couple hundreds players online top, most of them the whales, while the rest of the playerbase moved out long, long ago.

as you said, if someone gave me a dollar for everytime some says this game is not going to fail, I'd be millionaire. and I'd feel bad about it, tbh, because i did nothing especial, so obvious it was. there is no foretelling, no prediction or guessing involved here. its looking at what has happened in the past 6 or 7 times already, and noticing its repeating once again, step by step, from A to Z, exactly the same...

if you cant see this, you are beyond help.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The disgruntled people are always the most vocal, hence the number of posts and complaints about Zen pricing. The folks who have no problems with it, and there are a lot, are pretty much silent since they are happy paying the listed prices.
    this is usually true

but it isnt less true that lots of people dont necesarily feel like voicing their opinion on the matter. they see a bad cash shop, and simply click the upper right x and leave to never come back, without making posts about it on the forums.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sagasaint wrote: »
    this is usually true

but it isnt less true that lots of people dont necesarily feel like voicing their opinion on the matter. they see a bad cash shop, and simply click the upper right x and leave to never come back, without making posts about it on the forums.

/shrug
    The <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of people gathered around the AD vendor buying lock boxes in PE tells me otherwise.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    /shrug
    The <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of people gathered around the AD vendor buying lock boxes in PE tells me otherwise.
    because when you want to find eskimos, the artic is a good place. but noone reasons that eskimos are everywhere, because they looked in the artic and well...they were there.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it has never hapened in dota. it has happened in Jade Dynasty. actually, it has happened in all PWE games, of which this is no exception.
    its called whaling, and IT IS the reaosn why tht games have failed. go check JD, go check Forsaken World, go check Perfect World, WoI, BoI, ESO...you'll find a couple hundreds players online top, most of them the whales, while the rest of the playerbase moved out long, long ago.

as you said, if someone gave me a dollar for everytime some says this game is not going to fail, I'd be millionaire. and I'd feel bad about it, tbh, because i did nothing especial, so obvious it was. there is no foretelling, no prediction or guessing involved here. its looking at what has happened in the past 6 or 7 times already, and noticing its repeating once again, step by step, from A to Z, exactly the same...

I am sorry that is so much BS

My Daughter plays Forsaken world and oftentimes she is waiting in the queue to get in especially on Friday and Saturday nights, I have played PWI and the number of people in Thousand streams is mindblowing, Blizzard wishes they had that many people.

if these games were only supported by a few so called whales they would not exist as PWI employs and insane number of people to keep these games updated developed and running.
    because when you want to find eskimos, the artic is a good place. but noone reasons that eskimos are everywhere, because they looked in the artic and well...they were there.

Oh Jesus the Cryptic hate squad will justify anything no matter how ridiculous it sounds. :rolleyes:

Stepping away from this one guys...honestly this community is better off without the complainers.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    mosnacky01mosnacky01 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know I greatly dislike the cash shop and the direction the devs took in beta by only listening to a select few who magically became volunteer mods. I will not spend one cent for Neverwinter ever because I have to wait sixty days to play a Drow because I didn't fork over Two Hundred dollars.

But.

I do think that a lot of the raging on these forums is corporate backed, it just seems to me that the same pat talking points are being made over and over again as if it were coming from a single source. That is a slap in the face to those of us who have legitimate complaints against Perfect World and Cryptic. You aren't helping us, quite the opposite.
    No woman should marry before she has slain her tenth man.-:Vartha Do'Urden
  • Options
    sesorthossesorthos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Of course everyone should understand that a Free-to-Play game has to generate money somehow - my only annoyance is that the way it is set up is not very fair to Founders. After paying about 200 bucks for this game already, I would expect not to have further expenses for a long time! But since bags, bank slots and some other essential services can only be gotten through Zen (which is on a prohibitive exchange rate vs. AD right now), this is not really the case right now.

I hope that I will manage with the - annoyingly limited - space until the exchange rate has normalized a bit. But overall I would have preferred a system like in CO, where you get an amount of Zen every month.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sesorthos wrote: »
    Of course everyone should understand that a Free-to-Play game has to generate money somehow - my only annoyance is that the way it is set up is not very fair to Founders. After paying about 200 bucks for this game already, I would expect not to have further expenses for a long time! But since bags, bank slots and some other essential services can only be gotten through Zen (which is on a prohibitive exchange rate vs. AD right now), this is not really the case right now.

I hope that I will manage with the - annoyingly limited - space until the exchange rate has normalized a bit. But overall I would have preferred a system like in CO, where you get an amount of Zen every month.

I totally agree with this, the 200.00 pack should have given a stipend each month, but unlike most people I blame cryptic as much as I do Perfect world. It's a moot point though because,it's pretty much has been proven that there are shills from other developers on these forums, so no one is going to take legitimate concerns like this seriously.

I just hope that TESO won't have these issues.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Not sure what happened on the last page or so, but let's not have that happen again.

If you can't civilly and constructively disagree then don't post anything please. I really hate removing and editing posts. ;)
  • Options
    kisraenkisraen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've only got a few complaints about the cash shop; The zen prices are very high compared to a lot of the other f2p MMOs, the whole 'you can buy power indirectly' thing(and directly in the form of enchantments).
    Oddly enough the costume/dyes seem to have the most reasonable prices in the store atm. :/
  • Options
    kyssumikyssumi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    I really don't mind the Zen Store so much other than maybe prices being a bit high in general, the biggest problem for me is the ridiculous amount of AD required for pretty much everything and the fact that if you don't get lucky with drops (or be greedy and need on everything as most people are doing atm in dungeons) and/or play the AH well your pretty much screwed when it comes to getting enough AD to do much with.
    "Reality is but a figment of our collective imaginations." -N.E.S.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kyssumi wrote: »
    I really don't mind the Zen Store so much other than maybe prices being a bit high in general, the biggest problem for me is the ridiculous amount of AD required for pretty much everything and the fact that if you don't get lucky with drops (or be greedy and need on everything as most people are doing atm in dungeons) and/or play the AH well your pretty much screwed when it comes to getting enough AD to do much with.

They would have had a large loyal player base if they just offered a two tiered founder pack that included a small stipend of AD and Zen for the Guardian pack and a slightly larger stipend for the Hero of the North pack, then offer everyone to have Drow for a small fee, but they got greedy.
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I honestly think this is pure hyperbole and totally untrue, F2P games, will always be massively populated and if run by "whales" cannot be considered "unsuccessful"

You can however say, they are LESS "successful" than other companies that are doing it better. I don't think that would be a bad observation personally.
  • Options
    vattenpipavattenpipa Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Should be monthly sub with alot more unlocked features, I don't like the idea of wanting stuff I can't have. Not in a game, It's supposed to be fun.
  • Options
    farhammerfarhammer Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This will probably be one of my only posts before I uninstall the game and move on.

Having said that, I am not uninstalling because of Zen or cash store. I am just more of an old school D&D fan and the "FPS" style of this game is just not my style.

So with that out of the way, the Zen/Cash Store thing confuses me greatly.

Up until the F2P MMO party started games came with a monthly subscription, usually $14.95. That paid for your entertainment. If you didn't pay, you got to see exactly ZERO of the game unless it was a sinking ship and some form of trial was released. Even with trials you had limited access and thus limited game experience. The reason for this was without that cash the game shuts down. They are produced by companies aka businesses.

What exactly makes people think they get to play a game like Neverwinter without paying a subscription? Granted, the "Free to Play" term is a very poor marketing gimmick that should really just read "Expanded Trial Play" but logically people should understand...nothing is free. They have to make money. You are entitled to nothing.

For those complaining even a little about bags or some such "game breaking cash item", simply ask yourself this:

Is this game worth a 14.95 a month subscription?

If it is, buy 15 bucks a month worth of Zen and fill in the gaps for things like bags etc. You now have a standard MMO with you paying 15 bucks a month that you didn't have to pony up 49.95 to start off. You are already ahead of the old model.

If it is not, then move on or suck it up. You have determined the game isn't good enough for you to pay 15 bucks a month so why get upset about your "Trial access"?

It is either worth 15 bucks a month or it isn't.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vattenpipa wrote: »
    Should be monthly sub with alot more unlocked features, I don't like the idea of wanting stuff I can't have. Not in a game, It's supposed to be fun.

That is pretty much indicative of life, we all want stuff we can't have. But you raise a interesting question.

Could it be that the people who are unhappy,the people who spend all day on the forums hating, the people who are sending those that get the inferno mounts death threats don't like wanting what the can't have?

Goddess I hope not, because if that is the case, then every negative thing that people has said about those of us who has problems with the cash shop is true. :(
  • Options
    mbomberdavidmbomberdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    perasien wrote: »
    I am confused about this post. If I like this game and have money to spend on their prices, why shouldn't I??

I agree with you. Further, these folks are not even charged for trolling which seems to be a favorite activity. This game is far more of a bargain than they will ever admit.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    farhammer wrote: »
    This will probably be one of my only posts before I uninstall the game and move on.

Having said that, I am not uninstalling because of Zen or cash store. I am just more of an old school D&D fan and the "FPS" style of this game is just not my style.

Up until the F2P MMO party started games came with a monthly subscription, usually $14.95. That paid for your entertainment. If you didn't pay, you got to see exactly ZERO of the game unless it was a sinking ship and some form of trial was released. Even with trials you had limited access and thus limited game experience. The reason for this was without that cash the game shuts down. They are produced by companies aka businesses.

What exactly makes people think they get to play a game like Neverwinter without paying a subscription? Granted, the "Free to Play" term is a very poor marketing gimmick that should really just read "Expanded Trial Play" but logically people should understand...nothing is free. They have to make money. You are entitled to nothing.

For those complaining even a little about bags or some such "game breaking cash item", simply ask yourself this:

If it is, buy 15 bucks a month worth of Zen and fill in the gaps for things like bags etc. You now have a standard MMO with you paying 15 bucks a month that you didn't have to pony up 49.95 to start off. You are already ahead of the old model.

If it is not, then move on or suck it up. You have determined the game isn't good enough for you to pay 15 bucks a month so why get upset about your "Trial access"?

That's again, for the last time... at least not for me and many others. Simply NOT the argument being made.

However to answer your question as to "is it worth the xxxxx" the answer is NO. Not anymore. Other games with a F2P model came along, and changed everything, and now games like these are holding themselves back or more importantly are being held back by their monetization which usually isn't handled by the core developers. So by all means, with that you said you're not totally wrong, but you're arguing X, when the complaint is about Y. And applying dated viewpoints on them.
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vernalt wrote: »
    My only issue with the game right now, the reason I won't be playing after beta and why I'll tell everyone I know not to play is charging for respecs. Real money for things like mounts skins and dyes I have no problem with, but charging real money for something that is a basic part of playing an mmo is exploitive. I mean if they are fine with charging real money for respecs how long before I'm paying to respawn?

I understand the developers need to make money off a game, but personally I just can't see paying five dollars every time I want to change from my farm spec to my tank spec to my pvp spec. Yea you can probably make a lot of money off a few players that way but it just puts a sour taste in my mouth, granted this isn't as bad as SWTOR charging for skill bars but its in the same vane, and the only way to stop devs from doing this is stop supporting them.

Given that there really is no good reason to be respecing more than once every 3 - 9 months at most its a brilliant idea to milk the people who feel that they can't go more than a day or two without respecing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Given that there really is no good reason to be respecing more than once every 3 - 9 months at most its a brilliant idea to milk the people who feel that they can't go more than a day or two without respecing.

Since when did it become acceptable, or a good idea, to "milk" people? :/
  • Options
    mbomberdavidmbomberdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    farhammer wrote: »

This is good common sense, a great post!!!
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    Since when did it become acceptable, or a good idea, to "milk" people? :/

It has always since the dawn of time been.

If someone is willing to pay for something it would be stupid not to let them give you money for it. And that is the case with respec's. People want to use respec's that aren't really needed so it makes perfect and wonderful sense to charge them for the respec's.

Remember the goal of the game from PWI and Cryptic's side isn't humanitarian good will but to make money. I also expect that in at least Cryptic's case there is some desire to make a game that people enjoy playing but they still need to make money and aren't doing it out of the kindness and goodness of their hearts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The amount of people in this thread suggesting that people who are complaining are 'entitled,' kind of boggles my mind.

If I walk into McDonalds, order a big mac, and they charge me $30 for it, I am not "entitled,' if I complain about that. You can't turn around and say, "Don't be so entitled. Go home and make your own burger if it's too expensive." At least you can't if you don't want to sound like a gibbering idiot.

Actually if you walk into McDonalds and find that they are charging $30 for their burgers turn around and leave. If you stand around and complain that the burgers aren't $1 then you are being entitled. McDonald's has the right to price their burgers at any price they want. Unless the burgers are the most fantastic in the world I will predict that they don't sell very many at that price.

But then McDonalds was a strawman choice because they wouldn't change their prices that way. A better comparison would be to say you walk into a new fast food place and their burgers are priced $30. That would be a more accurate comparison since NWNO only just opened it's doors and didn't suddenly raise their prices.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    krenkren Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem here is to get what old school subscription models offered you have to pay well beyond $15 bucks a month just to get 1 extra bag its $10 bucks. Want more bank space get ready to pony up near the same. I think most people under the old subscription model which some games still use thanks fully wouldn't mind paying upwards of $25 bucks a month. The problem with the Zen store priceing is you can spend well in exces of $50 bucks per character just to get what most other games offer as part of a $15 dollar sub. Most f2p models don't have restrictions nearly as steep as what Neverwinter has. I personaly bought the $60 dollar founders pack then through in another $20 to get additional bag space and some keys for boxes. Honestly thats all I will ever pay as I'm a much bigger fan of the subscription/f2p models like DDO and Swtor offer. Which still allow you to experience the full game without the feeling that your being ripped off as a customer.

The sad thing is people like myself that have been around since the beginning of MMo's will not stay around long term. With a priceing policy thats out to nickle and dime you at every corner. I learned that lesson playing World of Tanks where in the 2 years I played that game I spent well beyond what a traditional sub would cost. Anyone that thinks people are being cheap need to look at the real cost and ask themselvs should a single bag cost $10 dollars in a game when a sub for 50% more in other games gives you everything for every character if you can't see the obvious money grab then you fail at doing simple math.
  • Options
    ernestoginnungaernestoginnunga Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't mind the store, but I find it to be way too overpriced. I F2P games, I usually say that I can spend roughly what a normal subscription would cost, so around $10-15 per month. The thing is, for $10 you hardly get anything - Two scrolls to be able to rez your entire party? OR Save up for 4 months until you can get a companion?

I want micro transactions to be micro, that way there is a bigger chance I'd spend some money on it. If I spend $15 and get only one little thing, and cannot buy anything else, then I will most likely not do it - But if I could spend $15 and get maybe one "big" thing and a ton of little stuff, then I would go for it - Think IKEA, a sofa for $1000 is no problem to buy, and since you are there, you will grab 20 different stuff for $1 a piece. Sure, IKEA doesn't make that much from those cheap stuff, but they do make a tiny bit, and they make sure people come, to buy their sofas.

I understand exclusive pricing and that is fine, but you need some economy products as well, not just premium seats - That will in the end, make it fail, like the Concorde.
This discussion has been closed.