test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why so much complaining about Zen Store??

Comments

• Options
    adamaantadamaant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The White Knights are coming!

Seriously the White Knights are coming and they will you that you're a lazy person entitle gamer. Because they have no concept of a real game without giving massive amounts of money to win. They don't get the concept the the time you spend in a game should be rewarded. Not hand you a penny, and tell you to do it again if you want another penny.
    You're maturity level is astounding. I am not sure you know how to read because a lot of us supposed "White Knights" if that's what we are just want the level of vitriol to ease up. There DOES need to be some balance. I'm not calling people lazy. I'm saying that they deserve to make money on their game. You on the other hand need to chill out and make a reasonable argument instead of picking fights with people on this forum.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll explain to you WHY the complaints are going on, and just why are so many up in arms. Basically boils down to a good game, that people WANT to play, but feel...that basic quality of life things are now barred from access. Not that you CANT get to max level with basic bags, its that at SOME point going to need that bag space, bank space, ect. Going to need that mount to keep up with your party. Not just about wanting things its about needing some of this stuff eventually...

People can spot a bad item shop a mile away, and then you compare it with OTHER mmo's and you can see there prices are much much much lower. So what you are seeing is, consumers doing research, and finding out that to play the game they are enjoying at some point gonna end up having to pay good money to play it... while are other games are less buggy, more stable, and have a better item shop out there.

Some try to use the AD to Zen arguement but seriously... talking in the MILLIONS of Ad's to get a simple bag...On top of this i have an issue with being able to BUY AD and insantly HAVE some of the best gear in game. There is a definate problem with that... because its effectively BUYING power... now rich kids can have best thing instantly even if they are terrible.

So why the complaining? because its a terrible pricing model... its not about entitlement its about being a consumer! and being able to spot a rip off when you see it. Like going into any other mmo looking at the auction house, and seeing a bag for 1 gold, then going down the list and seeing one for 1000 gold. Which do you buy? 1 gold bag or the 1000 gold bag? entitlement? hardly...

stop being a blatant fanboy and step back a second and add up how much would cost to buy basic things... in fact i'll do it for you...

3x's bags=30 dollars
    1x mount=20-40 dollars
    1x companion= 20-40 dollars
    1x bank slot enhancement=6 or 7 dollars

so if i when i hit 60 and want to set myself up for end game, play the game seriously and have a basic bag and bank space, a basic mount, a good companion, and some bank slots... you are talking almost 100 dollars investment INTO a game. Now you may be willing to DROP 200 dollars into a game, but not everyone is. As a LONG time D&D fan, someone that BOUGHT DDO out of the gate, someone that had 3.0, 3.5, 4e and pathfinder on release day, preordered LONG before they came out...as a HUGE fan of both mmos and D&D...as someone that WORKS for a living and isnt a kid...

Edit: i also own entire BG series, NWN series, and old DOS krynn series...yea total D&D fanatic x3

I can safely and, confidently say...the item shop is over priced, and that AD farming seems like its going to take me FOREVER to have some basic quality of life items...should be attained long before i reach max level. To have basic everyday items...i'm expected to spend like half my paycheck on a game? i'm sorry but i have bills...and what not to attend to,a family...and while i love the game...

The Item Shop is a RIPP OFF! and i am going to keep warning people not to pay into it... yes i am saying DO not support this game...because they are ripping you off...end of story!

and it saddens me that i have to do that...

Your argument would be valid if there was no way of getting Zen for free (exchange it for AD). There is, so it's invalid.

I just made 700 k AD by selling stuff in the AH, then traded it for Zen. Got a Courtesan Set for my character. Didn't had to spend a dime. Oh my!

You guys are just gritting your teeth because you don't want to grind for things - PW plays with opportunity costs. You want things for free? Then grind. You want things NOW? Then pay cash. Simple as that, this isn't like other games where you're void from things just because you don't pay... there are ways to bypass this, but they require effort.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    strikerjoltstrikerjolt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    adamaant wrote: »
    You're maturity level is astounding. I am not sure you know how to read because a lot of us supposed "White Knights" if that's what we are just want the level of vitriol to ease up. There DOES need to be some balance. I'm not calling people lazy. I'm saying that they deserve to make money on their game. You on the other hand need to chill out and make a reasonable argument instead of picking fights with people on this forum.

Thanks, but don't be a tight ***. I was joking.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Seriously the White Knights are coming and they will you that you're a lazy person entitle gamer. Because they have no concept of a real game without giving massive amounts of money to win. They don't get the concept the the time you spend in a game should be rewarded. Not hand you a penny, and tell you to do it again if you want another penny.

And what are you? The Lazy Instant Satisfaction Patrol? Your arguments are flawed because you base your reasonings in things you don't like - this doesn't mean that you're right. I don't like to pay taxes, but this doesn't mean that taxes are wrong. PW at least gives you A CHANCE to grind for things, whereas in some games that option doesn't even exist.
    Characters:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    And what are you? The Lazy Instant Satisfaction Patrol? Your arguments are flawed because you base your reasonings in things you don't like - this doesn't mean that you're right. I don't like to pay taxes, but this doesn't mean that taxes are wrong. PW at least gives you A CHANCE to grind for things, whereas in some games that option doesn't even exist.

Oh, no. I have no problem people enjoying their grind games.
    I have a problem when *they expect everyone else to grind like they do to get their items. Some people enjoy spending a day getting a cool item, some people like spending 43000 hours to get it.*.

My problem is that the cash shop is over priced. PWE always over prices their cash shops, and it always kills their games. Go look at their other games. They're all dead.
  • Options
    adamaantadamaant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a problem when *they expect everyone else to grind like they do to get their items. Some people enjoy spending a day getting a cool item, some people like spending 43000 hours to get it.*.

My problem is that the cash shop is over priced. PWE always over prices their cash shops, and it always kills their games. Go look at their other games. They're all dead.
    See, now you are having a reasonable discussion. I don't think you insulted anyone in that comment. Good for you! Ha. Anyway, I actually think that this game is very casual friendly even to people that don't grind. The fact that you can queue up a dungeon or skirmish so easily means I don't even need to join a guild. I can have all the fun of a group dungeon or mini raid in a few minutes, then log out and have dinner. And I didn't spend a dime. Will I be doing as much damage as someone who works their *** off to get the best gear? Nope. Will I be as valuable member of the group as the guy who earned (or purchased I dare say) the runes or enhancements that give them the most kill shots? Nope. I can still have fun. Unless you think the only fun to be had is by having the best for free without working for it. And if they bought it with real money? That's the way life is. There will always be people with more than me. I accept it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Well, then you haven't played a lot of MMOs. They work like this - you either grind for what you want or (more recently) pay real-world cash to get it.

The thing about the later option is that it gives you the chance to skip grind - but again, with a cost.

What you're basically saying is... "hey, I want to get things without effort because I'm lazy".

So where would be the value? It would cut the game's life-spam by... years, probably. Remember those L2 servers where you could level to 60 by just killing a couple of keltirs? The ones that gave you free Soul-shots in a local store and you could have for free B class gear?

Yeah, the same kind of servers I played for three days, got bored because of the insta-gratification and then I turned to WoW. Where I actually had to level my Draenei cleric patiently, work to get gear and to enter end-game content.

The only flaw that WoW has is that it doesn't give the "pay for convinience" option, giving the chance for gold-farmers to make business and create a black market of convinience purchases.

PW saw this coming and said to themselves: "what if we give players the option to buy convenience directly?" So things like the Zen store were born. If you removed it people would still buy gold or AD from Chinese Farmers - the problem wouldn't dissapear, and at least you know that you won't be scamed by PW since the prices are fixed.
    Characters:

• Options
    bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I come from games where if you died you had to go GET all your stuff and if you logged out before then, it was gone. Forever. Games where you could lose entire levels by dying. Games where even instances repop'd and only completion gave XP, not the trash. Games were BIS items took you months or years to craft and filled entire bags with their ingredients... your normal bags mind you, there were no "crafting mat" bags. Don't come crying about needing a bag, you need perspective, that's all.

Don't want to pay $10 for a bag? Fine. Pay $15 a month just to play, every month, and if you stop paying you can't even log in. Suddenly $10 looks a lot more acceptable and reasonable doesn't it? For the cost of dinner or an over-priced, bad tasting, poorly translated named beverage from Crackbucks you can have a bag.

If you like the game, play the game. Maybe throw a few bucks towards the developer/publisher so they can keep working on the game. If you don't like the game, I hear Facebook has some F2P games or something.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bpphantom wrote: »
    If you like the game, play the game. Maybe throw a few bucks towards the developer/publisher so they can keep working on the game. If you don't like the game, I hear Facebook has some F2P games or something.
    LOL, I love this. Except those games are even bigger money grabs. Talk about grinding! And all to build a virtual farm!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, then you haven't played a lot of MMOs. They work like this - you either grind for what you want or (more recently) pay real-world cash to get it.

The thing about the later option is that it gives you the chance to skip grind - but again, with a cost.

What you're basically saying is... "hey, I want to get things without effort because I'm lazy".

So where would be the value? It would cut the game's life-spam by... years, probably. Remember those L2 servers where you could level to 60 by just killing a couple of keltirs? The ones that gave you free Soul-shots in a local store and you could have for free B class gear?

Yeah, the same kind of servers I played for three days, got bored because of the insta-gratification and then I turned to WoW. Where I actually had to level my Draenei cleric patiently, work to get gear and to enter end-game content.

The only flaw that WoW has is that it doesn't give the "pay for convinience" option, giving the chance for gold-farmers to make business and create a black market of convinience purchases.

PW saw this coming and said to themselves: "what if we give players the option to buy convenience directly?" So things like the Zen store were born. If you removed it people would still buy gold or AD from Chinese Farmers - the problem wouldn't dissapear, and at least you know that you won't be scamed by PW since the prices are fixed.

Why the hell does it always come down to one extreme or, another? Why it can't be *BALANCED*
    I am not lazy, but I am not a hamster either. I like a challenge, but I am not going to keep running on the wheel forever.

Do you also forget that PWE KILLS THEIR GAMES WITH OVER PRICED CASH SHOPS?
    bpphantom wrote: »
    I come from games where if you died you had to go GET all your stuff and if you logged out before then, it was gone. Forever. Games where you could lose entire levels by dying. Games where even instances repop'd and only completion gave XP, not the trash. Games were BIS items took you months or years to craft and filled entire bags with their ingredients... your normal bags mind you, there were no "crafting mat" bags. Don't come crying about needing a bag, you need perspective, that's all.

Don't want to pay $10 for a bag? Fine. Pay $15 a month just to play, every month, and if you stop paying you can't even log in. Suddenly $10 looks a lot more acceptable and reasonable doesn't it? For the cost of dinner or an over-priced, bad tasting, poorly translated named beverage from Crackbucks you can have a bag.

I also came from those games. :b So don't go there buddy.

Again. >.> Why does everyone confuse the game with PWE business practices? They're two different things.

The game is fine, and PWE is going to kill it with their overpriced cash shop like they did their other games. Go look. Seriously. Go look at the other PWE games.
  • Options
    ziggystardust87ziggystardust87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No offense...but the fact that you recognized this company's greedy business model so well and still gave into it...I wouldn't call that smart. But I will be nice and not call you stupid either :D

No offense, but am i though, really? If i make 400$ an hour, i can work a little less than 2 minutes in my real job, and pay for a bag i would have to "work" significantly more in game to purchase. And thats what i dont like about the game. The constant reminder of my poor hourly wage in a game.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vaaso189 wrote: »
    They are extremely greedy and we do suffer from a pathetic bank/bag space because of it. That's why I complain, they could learn a thing or two from Grinding Gear Games.

I'm just worried its going to choke out the population.. I mean the backlash is evident. This game was already facing an uphill battle since its lacking a lot of the traditional MMO type feel - especially with regards to social things like emotes, inspecting/targeting people. I can't even tell what level or class another person is unless I'm right up on them and can see the weapon they are wielding.

This game reeks of greed.. I know it's not Cryptic.. really a shame they got in bed with these people. It makes me not even want to spend what I was already willing to spend and did spend monthly playing LOTRO.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    earthfell wrote: »
    Oh, I KNOW people are paying it. Just not enough people to support the model. Do you know the concept of a price point? Neverwinter is over theirs, and it is causing them a loss of business that puts in jeopardy the survival of the game. It is not a question of "either or" which you keep trying to reduce it to, but a question of economic efficiency.
    There is no public data on what money they are making or if they are profitable with Neverwinter. People like this need to understand that this is called "LYING". If you claim to know something but don't actually know it then you are lying. And you are hurting the game and the community by doing it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No offense, but am i though, really? If i make 400$ an hour, i can work a little less than 2 minutes in my real job, and pay for a bag i would have to "work" significantly more in game to purchase. And thats what i dont like about the game. The constant reminder of my poor hourly wage in a game.
    And who is reminding you? You are reminding yourself. Does it hurt to watch someone fly by on a spider? Why? Does it kill you to see someone doing more damage than you? Why do you pay attention to these things? How do you know if another player bought a bag or if he goes and sells every 20 minutes? You are creating your own discomfort with this stuff. Just play the game and have fun! It is a good game.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    adamaant wrote: »
    There is no public data on what money they are making or if they are profitable with Neverwinter. People like this need to understand that this is called "LYING". If you claim to know something but don't actually know it then you are lying. And you are hurting the game and the community by doing it.

Yea so true.. Sales figure are closely guarded secrets... these kids that get on forums flapping their gums about how this game is doing well F2P, yada yada yada... have absolutely no idea. They read a post from another tool saying the same thing and take it as truth and then spread the dribble elsewhere. Truth is, most F2P games aren't doing well. I have friends at Bioware and they've watched layoff after layoff.. 2 of my friends are now gone and the third is interviewing.

IMHO LOTRO had the best model and was very successful at it, until the game declined after 3 back to back watered down expansions.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Why the hell does it always come down to one extreme or, another? Why it can't be *BALANCED*
    I am not lazy, but I am not a hamster either. I like a challenge, but I am not going to keep running on the wheel forever.

Do you also forget that PWE KILLS THEIR GAMES WITH OVER PRICED CASH SHOPS?

I also came from those games. :b So don't go there buddy.

Again. >.> Why does everyone confuse the game with PWE business practices? They're two different things.

The game is fine, and PWE is going to kill it with their overpriced cash shop like they did their other games. Go look. Seriously. Go look at the other PWE games.

I don't care about other games, lol. Why are you even using that argument when talking about Neverwinter? Anything else that doesn't concern THIS GAME shouldn't be in the Neverwinter forums.

This game, Neverwinter, is perfectly fine as it is right now.

I really can't complain about Zen when you can sell most blue drops by 100 k in the AH and get Zen for free to get bank slots or other things that don't take 100k gold like in WoW.
    Characters:

• Options
    syle123syle123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    perasien wrote: »
    Ugh this is such an invalid argument. Why are you suffering exactly? Because you don't want to go through and vendor what you don't need?? As I said, I neither upgraded my bank nor my bags yet it is perfectly fine....

how the hell can you call it invalid?
    its all about how does the game feel when you play it - regardless of if you play free / founder or w/e else

small bag space , lack of id scrolls for gold , no individual bank , no respecs (other than zen), constantly forcing you into gems
    this is a general feeling you get when playing the game
    as a player it just shows that the makers of the game do not care about the player and the player experience
    and im not someone who would not spend money on the game I like or the game that shows that its main focus is to be a game for GAMERS
    I spend quite a bit of money on TERA but I don't like the masterworking and enchanting system(since they are unrewarding and tedious)so im looking for other games
    but neverwinter just shows that the game was made with making money off of players as a goal and not letting them choose to spend money on the game if they want to - this is one of the crucial points of financial success of lol
    and apparently cryptic is blind to this fact
    so basically im 100% sure this game will fail unless they change their goals
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    syle123 wrote: »
    neverwinter just shows that the game was made with making money off of players as a goal and not letting them choose to spend money on the game if they want to
    Yes. They are making a game with the intention of making money off players, as all games are. On the second point, no. You are not forced to spend money on the game. That's it. You can play the game and not spend money. It's not buy to play, Pay to play, subscribe to play. It's free to play. If you want all the fancy stuff and most conveniences you will have to pay, OR play a lot more.
  • Options
    stanleypain007stanleypain007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So many freeloaders butt hurt about spending money on an otherwise free game. No one is forcing you to spend anything. In fact you can spend 0 dollars on the game and have a lot of fun playing it. I've made nearly 15M AD from just selling/reselling things on the AH.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I don't care about other games, lol. Why are you even using that argument when talking about Neverwinter? Anything else that doesn't concern THIS GAME shouldn't be in the Neverwinter forums.

This game, Neverwinter, is perfectly fine as it is right now.

I really can't complain about Zen when you can sell most blue drops by 100 k in the AH and get Zen for free to get bank slots or other things that don't take 100k gold like in WoW.

Well you should care because PWE has killed off every game they publish.
    Do you think Neverwinter will be any different?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You know it's possible that the other games have been out for a long time and the mechanics and graphics of the game don't live up to more modern titles. This will eventually lead to a decline and eventual death of a game. If the player community stays strong and loyal it will continue even with a smaller population. These games may have just peaked. It's not always the financial model that does them in. This is why they are investing in newer titles like Neverwinter and STO.
  • Options
    doctormonkeedoctormonkee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

We can all choose not to pay for anything in this game, which in my opinion is the smart option if you are just looking to have fun. However, if a game imposes on you to purchase electronic items for convenience purposes (which as you mentioned, it does), it's not exactly a good business model for those who currently aren't paying but are thinking about supporting the company. Shady business does not attract customers.

It's like Apple saying, "Hey! We will LET you transfer all your current apps that you ALREADY bought from us onto the new iphone for free! All you have to do is buy our new phone. But don't think about transferring any of your current apps onto your Macbook Pro that you already bought last year. You'll have to purchase them again if you want them".

That's not exactly good incentive for people to buy their product if they are punishing those who don't keep up with newer models.
  • Options
    peglaypeglay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    to be honest the prices are a bit high but what do you expect, its a free to play game (a great one if i may add) and they gotta make a living off of something.
  • Options
    ziggystardust87ziggystardust87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So many freeloaders butt hurt about spending money on an otherwise free game. No one is forcing you to spend anything. In fact you can spend 0 dollars on the game and have a lot of fun playing it. I've made nearly 15M AD from just selling/reselling things on the AH.

Oh must have downloaded the wrong game, didn't realize it was Auction House Tycoon.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    syle123 wrote: »
    no individual bank

Not sure what you're saying here. There is a bank, the zen store just makes it bigger. /confused
    no respecs (other than zen)

From what I remember, you can respec one of the things (feats?) with AD, and the other with a respec token. (And again - $$ for respec is not remotely rare in MMOs. This is not some new & controversial thing.)

People keep saying this. It's odd, because I'd swear there are several PWE games out there. And Star Trek (a Cryptic game administered by PWE) is going strong, with a new large expansion coming out. /shrug
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Wow, so many ppl defending this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game. Its almost like they've never played anything else in their life.
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Actually that is NCSoft and Sony that do that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kent10skent10s Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is there a web-based zen store for NW?
    "Drive it like u stole it"
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ichbin wrote: »
    Wow, so many ppl defending this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game. Its almost like they've never played anything else in their life.

And yet you are still here

/mindboggle
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    And yet you are still here

/mindboggle

I don't play really. I just go to the gate and up my leadership. It lvls me up and gives me things without me even having to play. I then do 'life' stuff, but other than that I play other stuff that's higher quality. Then, I sometimes pop in and do 1-2 quests, collect my stuff from doing leadership crafting, and then log out to troll on here. Needless to say, a lot of 'stuff' occurs.

Its fun :D
This discussion has been closed.