test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GPU Performance Issues?!

2»

Comments

• brandon58dtbrandon58dt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mmcsky1 wrote: »
    I am sorry but if you think you have it figured out, the whole topic is unnecesary yes?

Who the heck said I figured it out? lmao
  • pixelburstpixelburst Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once again, I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THAT. (Don't wanna sound mean, but I hate repeating myself).

I have done all of those things, I'm not <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with graphic settings, I have tried lowering stuff and tweaking stuff. THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THAT I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THIS WITH THE SETUP THAT I HAVE...

Please don't type in caps, it's really childish.

No offence, but with the setup you have it's expected that you won't be able to run all games at max settings, that card will be bottlenecking a lot with your current processor.

I get no lag with mine, constant 60FPS everything on max except filtering is set to 4x -

FX-8350
    660 EX OC - Nvidia 320 beta driver
    16GB Ram
    1920x1080 res

^ As you can see, I have a slower card than you, but my processor is far superior, and this is the problem here. Others have already told you the solutions, other than doing a full driver sweep (with something like CCleaner) the suggestion you replied to is one of the only options you have at this point short of buying a new CPU.
    Currently playing on the Beholder Shard
  • brandon58dtbrandon58dt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pixelburst wrote: »
    Please don't type in caps, it's really childish.

No offence, but with the setup you have it's expected that you won't be able to run all games at max settings, that card will be bottlenecking a lot with your current processor.

I get no lag with mine, constant 60FPS everything on max except filtering is set to 4x -

FX-8350
    660 EX OC
    16GB Ram

^ As you can see, I have a slower card than you, but my processor is far superior, and this is the problem here. Others have already told you the solutions, over done doing a full driver sweep (with something like CCcleaner) the suggestion you replied to is one of the only options you have at this point short of buying a new CPU.

I don't care what's childish or not, I made so many forums about this and everyone acts like I don't know how to change the video settings or acts like I didn't do that and it's annoying as hell.

I just bought a really good aftermarket CPU cooler and 2 extra fans for my case, do you think OC'ing my processor to a stable ~4GHz would solve this problem?
    edited May 2013
    They are called threads not forums ;)

On a serious note, that might help, it's worth giving it a go before getting a new processor as the longer you leave it the newer the processor you can get :) I really stretched my Q6600 by overclocking before upgrading to this, so give it a go just don't push it too far.
  • mmcsky1mmcsky1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Who the heck said I figured it out? lmao

You do not think any of our suggestions have any weight on your problem, as far as i see you want to hear one thing but refuse to acknowledge it despite what you already know.

If you think is a bottleneck go ahead and buy a new processor, otherwise check check and triple check the suggestions that we gave you.
    Your problem is very simple, you are just making it harder than it is.
    edited May 2013
    Oh and the only reason I suggest not being childish about it is because you are more likely to get a good response and won't get people thinking you are ungrateful as clearly mmcsky1 (and I'm sure others) will think you are being from the way you type your posts.

I know it can be annoying, but if you just say "Thanks, but I've tried that, any other suggestions?" people will be a lot more inclined to help you compared to if you are acting like an *** in the future. Just a suggestion. :)

Good luck with the OC'ing, remember to take it one step at a time.
    edited May 2013
    I don't care what's childish or not, I made so many forums about this and everyone acts like I don't know how to change the video settings or acts like I didn't do that and it's annoying as hell.

I just bought a really good aftermarket CPU cooler and 2 extra fans for my case, do you think OC'ing my processor to a stable ~4GHz would solve this problem?

No, a newer processor will be cheaper in the long run

OC'ing is a risky thing,I wouldn't recommend it, shortens your CPU life and does not compare to the newer CPU models.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Cryptic Engine does have a history of being more CPU intensive than most other games. It also does not utilize more than 2 cores, so per-core performance can matter more than having a 4, 6, or 8 core processor. 2D menu/UI elements also traditionally eat up a lot more resources than they should, so try reducing things like open text/inventory/interface windows.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I merely stated your CPU is not bottlenecking your GPU. Plain and simple.

If you want to submit a bug report by all means go for it. You shouldn't have to troubleshoot optimizing your system but this is Open Beta when all these optimization and incompatibility problems show up and are addressed. You should be able to tweak your settings and get things working better in the mean time as others have stated and suggested.

If you want to choose that your computer is bottle-necking then go upgrade your CPU. I don't think it is.

But don't bite at those advising you on solutions just because the game still has some fine tuning required and you don't want to adjust settings on your end until official solutions are available. :)
    edited May 2013
    No, a newer processor will be cheaper in the long run

OC'ing is a risky thing,I wouldn't recommend it, shortens your CPU life and does not compare to the newer CPU models.

OC'ing is not risky at all if you know what you are doing and run stress tests between each increase. If it fails the stress test, you lower the OC. It's extremely unlikely you could cause any damage unless you bump the voltage ridiculously high or something. As long as you watch the temps, and make sure it's stable it will be fine.

In terms of lifespan, my Q6600 ran from 2008-2011 OC'd at 3.0Ghz, up to 3.6Ghz from then til I got my FX8350, now it's in a machine my girlfriend uses back at 3.0Ghz and it's still perfect, good temps, etc. :)

As I mentioned in my other post, If he plans on buying a new CPU soon then it's best to leave it as long as you can to ensure you get the most for your money at the time. Overclocking could (I won't say will, cause that's it's not guaranteed) provide him with the extra power he desires for the next 3 months, if not longer.
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to snap out at anyone this is just a bull**** issue and I'm in a really bad mood from it. AMD ****ing sucks.
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to snap out at anyone this is just a bull**** issue and I'm in a really bad mood from it. AMD ****ing sucks.

Yes yes it does, no problem man, we all are there sometimes

Like Pixelburst mentioned OC is a gamble, personally i would not recommended, but if you feel lucky go ahead and try it.
    Worse thing can happen is that you break it,which wont really matter since you had to replace it anyways.
  • xerouxerou Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Funny thing is the recommended system req for neverwinter are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHZ equiv or better
    Memory: 2GB Ram or more
    Video: GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD 2900 GT performance or better 512+ mb video ram
    Sound: Direct x9.0C compatible sound chip or onboard audio.

Don't believe me?
    Scroll down: http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/faq

Every single one of us with FPS issues has above the recommended, some far beyond, some only a bit beyond.
    Me, I'm running Win 7 ultimate, nVidia GTX 460, 6GB DDR2, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ OC to 3.0 GHZ
    I'm getting FPS drop spikes, and you know what, I'm staring at my GFX Card and CPU/Mem monitoring widgets and seeing the game use 50% - 80% of my CPU, 70% of my memory, and it never goes above 10% of my GPU, EVER.

Also I'm running a DX11 enabled card, with DX 11 installed but unable to actually choose it under video options, and no matter what I lower or tinker with the game never switches to using my gpu for most of the tasks, as it should.
    edited May 2013
    Yes yes it does, no problem man, we all are there sometimes

Like Pixelburst mentioned OC is a gamble, personally i would not recommended, but if you feel lucky go ahead and try it.
    Worse thing can happen is that you break it,which wont really matter since you had to replace it anyways.

I have experience with overclocking, and over on Tom's hardware they recommended me to do so to "fix" this problem, it should hopefully work as my cooling will be so much better with these 2 extra fans and new aftermarket cpu cooler, I don't have an extra 200 bucks to shell out for a CPU that "might" work better.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    xerou,

Having a good computer doesn't guarantee having a great running game, especially if the game is new.
    It only means you have the power and potential to run the game well.

The thing is when you design taxing products like video games there is no way to avoid inadvertently programming incompatability issues into the software.

Companies simply have to do the best they can to avoid them and then fix those that inevitably show up.

Two examples:
    I got a new computer about a year ago. It ran Skyrim in max settings without even starting to pump out hot air. I called it an air conditioner, haha. However I quickly found out AMD GPU's couldn't do AA in Skyrim. Absolutely could not. There was a graphical glitch and two to three patches in a row to the AMD Drivers stated they fixed the issue.

At that point in time I was also frequenting a different MMO and my frame rate was 10-15 for a game with really, really shoddy graphics and CPU demands. My computer can run any First Person Shooter you throw it at max settings without dropping below 60 FPS...and yet that game was running at 10-15. Reason? AMD GPU issues.

Sometimes we draw the short stick. It sucks.
    But the companies can only prepare for so much. The issues always get fixed in time.

TL;DR
    Again, a powerful computer only guarantees the potential to run games well.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm calling bull****. You are not running this game max settings with that hardware. I've got an I5-2500k at 4.6 with two 6850's and I see huge fps fluctuations in dungeons on max. Some of you people really need to quit lying online to try and flex your epeen about systems. It just makes other less technically intelligent folks make bad decisions. Please go into the dungeon of the mad dragon and tell me you pull 60fps on max with your hardware. Please.

Edit: And if your resolution is anything less than 1080 your argument is invalid.

Ah running I'm running:

CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: 2x XFX HD 5770 1024 GDDR5 crossfire

Not having any issues on max setting, welp I always turn AA down to 2, and yes 1080p.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm running an i5@4.2ghz, 8GB Ram, R7970GE (ccc 13.5 beta2) and my Frame Rate drops down to 40ish in Protectors Enclave and other areas. I also noticed that disabling the UI increases my fps by about 10-15. Not game breaking in any way but a fix would be appreciated.
  • enyceckk101enyceckk101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why not just download pcie test to see if ur cpu is bottleneck.. so other people can shut up lol

here's a screenshot of the program

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r201/winglesshuman/PCIeSpeedTest1.jpg

Link to the program: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=97176&d=1243691899
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cnynridr2cnynridr2 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's my specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
    8GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 660 Ti

Mine is:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3.21GHz Overclocking is off.
    12GB RAM
    Dual 512 ram ATI 4870 Video cards at max graphics with No problem.
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think it's a processor bottleneck.

I'm running a Phenom II 940 BE, at the stock 3.0 Ghz, a Radeon 4870 512mb, with 8GB of DDR2 at with both graphics sliders all the way right at 1680 * 1050 and am getting between 30 ~45 fps depending on where I'm at which is quite acceptable to me. The only limiting factor is that I have to run in DX9 mode because the 4870 doesn't support DX11

I get no graphics lag at all, and everything looks beautiful at the recommended settings, despite only being DX9
    @Powerblast in game
    edited May 2013
    xerou,

Having a good computer doesn't guarantee having a great running game, especially if the game is new.
    It only means you have the power and potential to run the game well.

The thing is when you design taxing products like video games there is no way to avoid inadvertently programming incompatability issues into the software.

Companies simply have to do the best they can to avoid them and then fix those that inevitably show up.

Two examples:
    I got a new computer about a year ago. It ran Skyrim in max settings without even starting to pump out hot air. I called it an air conditioner, haha. However I quickly found out AMD GPU's couldn't do AA in Skyrim. Absolutely could not. There was a graphical glitch and two to three patches in a row to the AMD Drivers stated they fixed the issue.

At that point in time I was also frequenting a different MMO and my frame rate was 10-15 for a game with really, really shoddy graphics and CPU demands. My computer can run any First Person Shooter you throw it at max settings without dropping below 60 FPS...and yet that game was running at 10-15. Reason? AMD GPU issues.

Sometimes we draw the short stick. It sucks.
    But the companies can only prepare for so much. The issues always get fixed in time.

TL;DR
    Again, a powerful computer only guarantees the potential to run games well.

Oh trust me I know, I'm an employee for a local business airline's IT department.
    Even though what you said is true there is nothing about this game that should be causing the issues, except on the client coding side, probably not much we can do about it at the moment.
    I've learned to compensate for the fps drops that occur so regularly that I can time them, but I shouldn't have to.
    NW is poorly optimized and that needs to be fixed, I've been playing ragnarok online 2, and that game only uses 27% total of my four cores, and 30% of my GPU, no frame drops or stuttering.
    Something to keep in mind.

That being said, I have a bug report in that forum with my dxdiag, which is in two txt files as the board only allows a 19.5kb text file, which is strange, as my dxdiag was 36kb.
  • suparstarxsuparstarx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No worries, Enclave can get pretty nasty with a lot of NPC and players clustered up. You're never gonna get smooth 60 in there unless you're running a good OC rig and pretty expensive video card(s).
  • zedfighterzedfighter Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The UI is crapping all over the FPS. Hopefully they're intelligent enough not only to realize this, but fix it, and soon.
    edited May 2013
    zedfighter wrote: »
    The UI is crapping all over the FPS. Hopefully they're intelligent enough not only to realize this, but fix it, and soon.

Same with every cryptic game, they had to patch to fix it in City of Heroes, then when The Split happened and Cryptic made CO the ui plague issue continued, it was never fixed, same with STO, and now neverwinter. The Cryptic engine either needs A) an upgrade or B) someone who is coding the UI who knows what they are doing, this is the third game with this problem.

Just to further drive the point home, when I hit B my FPS shoots up to 120FPS, soon as I go back to UI it drops to 50FPS, that's a 70FPS DROP from just loading the UI.
  • redlotusredlotus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm also using the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition processor. As for video card wise I'm running two XFX HD5870's in crossfire mode. I play the game in 1920x1080 with the default high settings with nothing changed.

While playing around in the main city the processor shows around 40% load. While each of the video cards runs around 35-45% load depending where I am and whats going on.

If I set the system to run on one video card then the video card can show like 95% load at times.
  • cqccqc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neither is bottlenecking.

First, make sure your video card is properly inserted. Next, make sure you are running genuine Microsoft Windows software, then run a virus check. I would recommend using Malwarebytes.

I am running 8gb/i7-3770/Ati Radeon 7770 and have no issues on max settings at all.
  • touzsantouzsan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    Solid state hard drive, a raptor drive or raid 0 with striping will greatly increase any game performance quite a bit. you can have a fast cpu and gpu but if your hardrive moves slow your whole pc will suffer.

I have a 2.6 amd quad core, gtx570 and two 7200rpm hd set in raid 0 i play at max graphics settings and have no issues, its due to the raid 0 setup.
  • prevail517prevail517 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    touzsan wrote: »
    Solid state hard drive, a raptor drive or raid 0 with striping will greatly increase any game performance quite a bit. you can have a fast cpu and gpu but if your hardrive moves slow your whole pc will suffer.

I have a 2.6 amd quad core, gtx570 and two 7200rpm hd set in raid 0 i play at max graphics settings and have no issues, its due to the raid 0 setup.

Solid state drives have absolutely NO impact on frames per second UNLESS you have inadequate RAM. The only time your hard drive is accessed is to load game files into memory. The game isn't read from your hard drive WHILE playing. The only thing increased by a SSD for games, in general, is load times. Please learn how computers work a little bit before advocating SSD's to people because clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Second. To all who said that the Phenom II 9xx is not a bottleneck for this game. Think again, because you're dead wrong, as I pointed out earlier in this thread.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/neverwinter-performance-benchmark,3495-9.html

This title is intensely CPU bound, as most MMO's are. So you can stop with the whole "my 955 be is just as good as an i5" nonesense. It isn't. Its an old, outdated chip at this point and it is far below midrange as far as gaming goes. Dual core i3's are better than that chip.