test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GPU Performance Issues?!

brandon58dtbrandon58dt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Here's my specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 660 Ti

Everything is update, blah blah blah all of that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

What I have found is that my GPU is not going above 50 or even 40% load, usually 30-40% and that seems pretty **** low while my CPU is stuck at anywhere from 60-99%.

Is this my CPU bottlenecking my GPU? If so, how the hell do I fix it?
Post edited by brandon58dt on

Comments

• mmcsky1mmcsky1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's my specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
    8GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 660 Ti

Everything is update, blah blah blah all of that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

What I have found is that my GPU is not going above 50 or even 40% load, usually 30-40% and that seems pretty **** low while my CPU is stuck at anywhere from 60-99%.

Is this my CPU bottlenecking my GPU? If so, how the hell do I fix it?

Are you running at max settings?

Are you running your AA trough the GPU or the software is controlling it?
  • brandon58dtbrandon58dt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mmcsky1 wrote: »
    Are you running at max settings?

Are you running your AA trough the GPU or the software is controlling it?

I should be running at MAX settings that is the problem. I turned shadows off and some other things and I can't even get a constant 60 fps, it's more like 40-30fps and like 20 in Enclave.

And the software is controlling it I guess?
    edited May 2013
    I should be running at MAX settings that is the problem. I turned shadows off and some other things and I can't even get a constant 60 fps, it's more like 40-30fps and like 20 in Enclave.

And the software is controlling it I guess?

Tweak your settings trough the Nvidia control panel, override the default settings of the software and run AA at x2 or x4, would be wise to also tweak with texture filtering trough the control panel.
    Some games tend to be horribly optimized trough their default software, the GPU seems to be able to do a better job.
  • prevail517prevail517 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your CPU is the bottleneck, but that graphics card is a midrange card too so, its probably not bottlenecking by much.

I had the same CPU with a GTX670 and had about the same performance. Got an intel 3570k processor, and my problems were solved.

AMD CPU's, especially Phenom II's are really dated at this point.
    edited May 2013
    prevail517 wrote: »
    Your CPU is the bottleneck, but that graphics card is a midrange card too so, its probably not bottlenecking by much.

I had the same CPU with a GTX670 and had about the same performance. Got an intel 3570k processor, and my problems were solved.

I personally see no problem with the amount of FPS he is getting, i get up to 60 fps in dungeons with full settings (without tweaks or anything) I have a 3570k i5 and a radeon 8970 2gb with 8gb, so I personally think your computer is doing fine despite your specs.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013

That's not true. At all. Haha.

Unless you upgrade your CPU every single year there's nothing wrong with the Phenom II series.

It's not the most top of the line CPU out there by any stretch of the imagination but it's still more than capable of running current games at max settings. That's like saying the i5 is causing bottlenecks.:rolleyes:

Try the advice other have stated. Your CPU is not bottlenecking your GPU.
  • prevail517prevail517 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Unless you upgrade your CPU every single year there's nothing wrong with the Phenom II series.

It's not the most top of the line CPU out there by any stretch of the imagination but it's still more than capable of running current games at max settings. That's like saying the i5 is causing bottlenecks.:rolleyes:

Except I know from personal experience that it can and DOES bottleneck modern games. Why don't you try doing some actual research before spouting off nonsense.

I thought the same exact way, until I got a new processor and saw the night and day difference for myself.

When I upgraded with all the same hardware I saw FPS improvements in every single game I own, except for Torchlight because Torchlight isn't that taxing at all.
    edited May 2013

Tweak a lot with your graphical settings trough the nvidia control panel or find a program of your choice, sometimes that is required
  • archimedicarchimedic Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have the EXACT same processor, it is a very popular processor. I have about the same GPU but in AMD, AMD R HD 5850, I can run PlanetSide 2 at near max graphics with 100's of tanks, aircraft, infantry all running around, 30-60 FPS at all times. (which if you did not know is fantastic) Almost no game that is decently optimized runs poorly due to this processor. I am running 12GB of RAM though, and many performance tweaks. Like they said, play with settings until you find that sweet spot and you'll be fine =)
    edited May 2013
    archimedic wrote: »
    I have the EXACT same processor, it is a very popular processor. I have about the same GPU but in AMD, AMD R HD 5850, I can run PlanetSide 2 at near max graphics with 100's of tanks, aircraft, infantry all running around, 30-60 FPS at all times. (which if you did not know is fantastic) Almost no game that is decently optimized runs poorly due to this processor. I am running 12GB of RAM though, and many performance tweaks. Like they said, play with settings until you find that sweet spot and you'll be fine =)

You guys are missing the point. He didn't say ANYTHING about poor performance. He asked if his CPU is a bottleneck to that GPU and it IS A BOTTLENECK. Can he play modern games with it? Yes. Does it play modern games well? Yes. Thats not what he's asking.

Its a FACT that his CPU will bottleneck most modern GPUs. Is it a huge bottleneck? Again, not huge, but it IS A BOTTLENECK. This isn't my opinion guys... It really isn't. look it up.
    edited May 2013
    You guys are missing the point. He didn't say ANYTHING about poor performance. He asked if his CPU is a bottleneck to that GPU and it IS A BOTTLENECK. Can he play modern games with it? Yes. Does it play modern games well? Yes. Thats not what he's asking.

Its a FACT that his CPU will bottleneck most modern GPUs. Is it a huge bottleneck? Again, not huge, but it IS A BOTTLENECK. This isn't my opinion guys... It really isn't. look it up.

If i am getting an almost identical performance with a superior system this means that he needs to tweak with the settings rather than worry about bottlenecking.
    Wether this CPU bottlenecks or not is hardly irrelevant when the game is not optimized properly yet.
  • brandon58dtbrandon58dt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If i am getting an almost identical performance with a superior system this means that he needs to tweak with the settings rather than worry about bottlenecking.
    Wether this CPU bottlenecks or not is hardly irrelevant when the game is not optimized properly yet.

Sorry guys I just woke up! lol I have been trying to figure out these problems all night/morning, so what I have seen so far are people telling me one thing and people saying another. I'm pretty fairly certain that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU just because of the fact that my GPU load isn't ever going past 50%, and my performance IS POOR, it should be able to run this game with shadows and such at 60 constant FPS, I've seen people with way worse setups getting way better than what I am.

So you guys are saying to try going to the Nvidia Control panel and selecting the option to override what the 3d application chooses so that my video card is running off those settings? Should I try DX11 also?
  • caleshhcaleshh Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013

agreed....I have the game setup on my kids system which is an old 1366 with a Nvidia 460...running max graphics flawlessly. Your AMD is not the bottleneck.
    edited May 2013
    caleshh wrote: »
    agreed....I have the game setup on my kids system which is an old 1366 with a Nvidia 460...running max graphics flawlessly. Your AMD is not the bottleneck.

What is the problem then?
  • darknight0354darknight0354 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    caleshh wrote: »

I'm calling bull****. You are not running this game max settings with that hardware. I've got an I5-2500k at 4.6 with two 6850's and I see huge fps fluctuations in dungeons on max. Some of you people really need to quit lying online to try and flex your epeen about systems. It just makes other less technically intelligent folks make bad decisions. Please go into the dungeon of the mad dragon and tell me you pull 60fps on max with your hardware. Please.

Edit: And if your resolution is anything less than 1080 your argument is invalid.
  • xhaydenstarxhaydenstar Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a HD7950 and everything's working very well.
    edited May 2013
    I love how people are saying this is the problem and that is not the problem and etc., but they aren't saying what is wrong and/or how to fix it. Ugh.
  • cubansyruscubansyrus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17
    edited May 2013
    im running

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

my cpu sits at 6% with this game, running full graphics (no advanced lighting cause it looks <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>) and im sitting at 60 fps constantly.

seems with your Gpu/system you should be doing the same
    edited May 2013
    cubansyrus wrote: »
    im running

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

my cpu sits at 6% with this game, running full graphics (no advanced lighting cause it looks <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>) and im sitting at 60 fps constantly.

seems with your Gpu/system you should be doing the same

Exactly, but it isn't. I'm trying to figure out the problem but no one seems to know what the **** is going on lol, this is so frustrating.
  • xerouxerou Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I noticed with my system Neverwinter is running my CPU up to 50% but my GPU only up to 8%, something is wrong here..
    edited May 2013
    Exactly, but it isn't. I'm trying to figure out the problem but no one seems to know what the **** is going on lol, this is so frustrating.

are you running advance lighting cause that thing is a fps eater also do you have nvidea experience ? and driver 3.14 ?
    edited May 2013
    Sorry guys I just woke up! lol I have been trying to figure out these problems all night/morning, so what I have seen so far are people telling me one thing and people saying another. I'm pretty fairly certain that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU just because of the fact that my GPU load isn't ever going past 50%, and my performance IS POOR, it should be able to run this game with shadows and such at 60 constant FPS, I've seen people with way worse setups getting way better than what I am.

So you guys are saying to try going to the Nvidia Control panel and selecting the option to override what the 3d application chooses so that my video card is running off those settings? Should I try DX11 also?

If you can run this game with DX9 you will get better performance but lose some of the eyecandy, what is your current FPS?
    edited May 2013
    are you running advance lighting cause that thing is a fps eater also do you have nvidea experience ? and driver 3.14 ?

It doesn't matter what I turn off, the performance barely increases...
    edited May 2013
    direct 11 works fine with this though
    edited May 2013
    If you can run this game with DX9 you will get better performance but lose some of the eyecandy, what is your current FPS?

Current fps can be around 60 fps in dungeons but in combat it goes to ~40fps and in leveling zones it ranges from 30-50fps but in combat it always sinks down, protectors enclave it's always ~20fps, it sucks. Not what it should be at all.
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't matter what I turn off, the performance barely increases...

ok try this

options > video > top graphics slide drag it to max (quality)> 2nd slider drag it to min (speed) > then adjust your advanced settings from there
    edited May 2013
    Current fps can be around 60 fps in dungeons but in combat it goes to ~40fps and in leveling zones it ranges from 30-50fps but in combat it always sinks down, protectors enclave it's always ~20fps, it sucks. Not what it should be at all.

Hmm that does sound like a bottlenecking problem, if you can not afford a new CPU atm, the next possible thing is to fiddle with the GPU settings for your game directly from the control panel or any software that allows you to do this.

Like i mentioned in other posts AA (anisotrophic filtering) and texture filtering tend to get screwy if not run by the nvidia software. I had games like wow run under 30 fps when i let the game fix the settings, once i switch to the GPU software it goes up to 120 fps.
    edited May 2013
    ok try this

options > video > top graphics slide drag it to max (quality)> 2nd slider drag it to min (speed) > then adjust your advanced settings from there

Once again, I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THAT. (Don't wanna sound mean, but I hate repeating myself).

I have done all of those things, I'm not <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with graphic settings, I have tried lowering stuff and tweaking stuff. THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THAT I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THIS WITH THE SETUP THAT I HAVE...
    edited May 2013
    Once again, I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THAT. (Don't wanna sound mean, but I hate repeating myself).

I have done all of those things, I'm not <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with graphic settings, I have tried lowering stuff and tweaking stuff. THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THAT I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THIS WITH THE SETUP THAT I HAVE...

I am sorry but if you think you have it figured out, the whole topic is unnecesary yes?
    edited May 2013
    i understand i say this cause there seemed to be a bug for my friend when he was doing the settings he still gets full graphics but for some reason his 2nd bar if it was up on quality would suck his fps, he ended up messing with that 2nd bar and it seemed to fix his problem

he runs the I7 extreme with a titan so effectivley he shouldnt have to care about graphics