test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How is this a D&D game?

kandyman2012kandyman2012 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Please, can someone tell me how this is a D&D game? Isnt D&D like a max customizable game with monsters all over.
Post edited by kandyman2012 on

Comments

• Options
    nismunismu Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    you can still make your own adventures at least. and wizards are still wizards no matter how much rules have changed.
  • Options
    mrz1mmersmrz1mmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's D&D because it uses locations, monsters, races, themes, spells, and (at least in some part, very loosely though) rules from D&D, also it's got an overall D&D feel to it..... how is this not D&D? o.O
  • Options
    mmcsky1mmcsky1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mrz1mmers wrote: »
    It's D&D because it uses locations, monsters, races, themes, spells, and (at least in some part, very loosely though) rules from D&D, also it's got an overall D&D feel to it..... how is this not D&D? o.O

He must be annoyed that he can't use his set of special dice
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Plus it has 'Dungeons & Dragons' right on the title screen. How is it NOT a D&D game!
  • Options
    mrz1mmersmrz1mmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mmcsky1 wrote: »
    He must be annoyed that he can't use his set of special dice

I haven't tried yet in Neverwinter, but in alot of MMOs you can actually roll an invisible dice with a command like /roll or something like that, might be nice if that feature's available here, though not a deal breaker either way.
  • Options
    kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Little to do with being D&D or not and alot to do with maps being small with high respawn rates. o.O
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please, can someone tell me how this is a D&D game? Isnt D&D like a max customizable game with monsters all over.

How is it not a D&D game? Why does every D&D game need to follow one specific formulae? Isn't D&D all about making the game your own? Ever play Dungeons & DRagons Tower of Doom, or Shadow Over Mystara? Or Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I&II?
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its has some dungeons and it has some dragons. Dunno what the beef is least it isnt the movies my god they where bad :I
  • Options
    kandyman2012kandyman2012 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To answer all of you in a simple short answer. I asked because i have never played anything D&D related before. Infact the D&D board/rp game actually confuses me.
  • Options
    sman421999sman421999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    D&D is a tabletop pen and paper game. Neverwinter is what happens when you take that universe and make it into a cool MMORPG, with tons of action and customization.
  • Options
    xxxretsopmixxxretsopmi Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013

DnD is nothing but a RULE SET. That is it. There are no qualifications on how that rule set has to be used. This is DnD because it sticks to that rule set.
  • Options
    matzeramatzera Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To answer all of you in a simple short answer. I asked because i have never played anything D&D related before. Infact the D&D board/rp game actually confuses me.

The way that your post is worded hints that you know about D&D, and disagree that Neverwinter is D&D, due to some sky high expectations set by D&D 3.x purists. If you don't want to get burned, choose your words wisely.
    AMD FX 8350 4.0 Mhz OC@ 4.8 Mhz
    ASUS M5A99X Evo
    EVGA GTX 680
    Gskill Ripjaw 8GB(2x4gb) DDR3 1600 @ 2133
    Corsair Hydro 110 Liquid Cooling
    Cyborg RAT 7
    Steelseries Merc Stealth (WTB Steelseries Apex! Sell it to me SS!)
    Steelseries Siberia V2 Headset (Orange)
    Razer Goliathas Omega Control Mousepad
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013

you are confusing 4e with 3.5... 4e had almost no custumization outside of paths your character could take. Couldnt even be evil... because the game wouldnt allow it...
  • Options
    spikespirespikespire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you are confusing 4e with 3.5... 4e had almost no customization outside of paths your character could take. Couldnt even be evil... because the game wouldnt allow it...

Just because a Book states that its rule doesn't mean it is. That is up the to DM's decision in the end, the book and its rules are just a template.

Sure there are DM's who are Rule Heavy straight from the book and then there are DM's who bend or adjust rules to make the game abit more logical or abit more fun, both for Character Creation, and Story.
    NWsig_zps2f8df234.png
    ZRcH2.gif .gif .gif
    "You know you wanna fondle my dragons."
  • Options
    gimpinatorgimpinator Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    There seems to be a /roll feature but I suspect it isn't working correctly.
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    you are confusing 4e with 3.5... 4e had almost no custumization outside of paths your character could take. Couldnt even be evil... because the game wouldnt allow it...
    Don't confuse 4e with Neverwinter's version of 4e. Neverwinter has streamlined and simplified 4e so that it fits modern day MMORPGs. Though truth be told, a person completely new to D&D (and not just 4e) will be blown by the sheer complexity of the game if Neverwinter was closer to 4e (I'm talking about feats, skills, how a Fighter is just a Fighter and how being the "Guardian" or the "Great Weapon" kind depends on what powers you pick, or you can be something in between).
  • Options
    bydawinebydawine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually liked the second and third movie.
  • Options
    dervimnorthdervimnorth Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's not DND game, plain and simple.
    you can still make your own adventures at least. and wizards are still wizards no matter how much rules have changed.

Oh yeah? Show me the spell book, then.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

How did this thread come to be? Isn't Neverwinter like a max "customizable" game with monsters all over?
    You've got 5 classes (GF/GWF/TR/CW/DC) + a power system + feat tree + point buy stat system + 3 Encounter, 2 Daily, 2 At-Wills, 1 tab, & 2 passives & mobs keep coming back from the dead no matter how many times you kill them. Heck those Nashers always respawn. Heck Rhazzad's been slain thousands of times already and he still keeps coming back when a new adventurer appears.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    munkienutsmunkienuts Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spikespire wrote: »
    Just because a Book states that its rule doesn't mean it is. That is up the to DM's decision in the end, the book and its rules are just a template.

Sure there are DM's who are Rule Heavy straight from the book and then there are DM's who bend or adjust rules to make the game abit more logical or abit more fun, both for Character Creation, and Story.

I have a player who feels games should be run strictly by the book. We've been playing 'The One Ring' recently, and he was arguing against the most suited character (who was a Hobbit) assassinating an Orc because "he's too small to slit it's throat." Not from an in-character perspective was this argument made, by from a mechanical one.
    The thing with this is, he can't seem to understand that there are role-playing games with loose rules, he seems to require hard structure, and it drives me mad sometimes.
    Oh yeah? Show me the spell book, then.
    I don't think that's how it works in 4E, with the addition of Powers, all spells seem to have worked their way into that system. There seemed to be some complaint about Wizards being overpowered in past editions, so WotC used the Powers mechanic to turn every class into a type of wizard.

As to how this is a D&D game. It's based in Neverwinter, in the Forgotten Reams setting, which is part of the D&D franchise. It has inspirations from 4E mechanics, but it's not a direct translation of the table-top system. I feel that's about as close as it gets.
  • Options
    etophalesetophales Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

As far as pen and paper RPG goes, D&D is pretty rigid and not that customisable compared to many systems, and of course "monsters all over" is purely DM determined, and I have to say that the D&D sessions I played that had "monsters all over" were the crappy ones.

That said, from the little I played I agree that this feels more like Generic MMORPG #76 in Forgotten Realms settings than D&D. Or has pen and paper D&D changed that much? I haven't played in many years and I've heard that the latest version was made more MMO-like, but I can't imagine it's been changed so much that low level characters have hundreds of hit points, that characters go up in level very quickly, and the named attacks feel strange to me.

DDO felt to me a lot more like a D&D game, both in rules and in quest structure. Still, that doesn't mean that Neverwinter is a bad game. So far it felt like a decent MMORPG. Not great, but good enough to continue checking it out.
  • Options
    rockombolirockomboli Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    can u make a dwarf meele with axe specealization ?
    Can rogues Pick Pocket? Are there even rogues? What is up with that sneak atack...
    Can u see how much u roll on the combat logs ?

well.. i also share ops questions : How is this D&D ? Because it has some orcs and Drows? this game shows itself way too much hack and slash, even for 4th edition rules..
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Its has some dungeons and it has some dragons. Dunno what the beef is

Exactly! If those two criteria are enough for Bill Cavalier. Its good enough for anyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRZ1CYYIsCg

The DB is always right.
  • Options
    marokkrellmarokkrell Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I just watched that video, and I have found my new idol. :) I agree completely with that. Besides, it all boils down to having fun. I only know the 3.5 edition, and in the Dungeon Master Guide it states, that these rules are basic guidelines to help you DM the game. That's not word from word, but its the basic idea of it. Who cares if its not exactly the same. I Particularly don't like the classes they have to choose from in this game, but I got over it and I enjoy my GF. Besides, even with the 3.5 edition the sides books that came out like the Epic Level Hand book and even some of the Modules, actually conflicted with the Core Rule books. I know because me and my friends had a big debate with one of the rules that conflicted between the Epic Level Hand book and the core rules. I don't remember what it was, it was many eons ago. Just have fun and enjoy destroying all those that stand before you and your power :)
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."

~Napoleon Bonaparte
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

4e released at least a couple of books all about being evil. Player Options: Heroes of Shadow and the Demonomicon both have a lot of ideas for playing evil characters. Plus there's a Lich template and Vampire Lord template in the DM guide. And the Drow race. My second campaign 4e revolved around the exploits of an evil Drow hunter. Also, 4e had a ton of customization compared to this. You could use any weapon, and every class had at least a dozen different powers/skills to choose from at level 1. You don't get that many options in this game period, everyone ends up with the same powers as every other hero of their class and level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rileyb809rileyb809 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Right so I thought I might find one of these threads before I created one of my own.

I really don't think it's wise to be branding this game as Dungeons and Dragons purely because the expected gameplay is so different, however marking as Neverwinter and the customisable MMORPG adventures is perfect.

Before people get all defensive about the game, this game is a dam good MMORPG and I am looking forward to the custom adventures as I never have been left disappointed from the creative that people have when making adventures.

I think many people here need to understand that many people coming to this game for the D&D game play will be very disappointed and have been completely disappointed ever since Neverwinter Nights 2 came out.

If anyone had the chance to play Icewind Dale, Baldur's gate or Neverwinter Nights they will understand what the expected gameplay is, if you have no I highly recommend that you pick up one of the titles and give it a try it's very rewarding.

Anyways looking forward to what comes out of this game, currently feeling a bit let down but I'll wait to be surprised.
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rileyb809 wrote: »
    Right so I thought I might find one of these threads before I created one of my own.

I really don't think it's wise to be branding this game as Dungeons and Dragons purely because the expected gameplay is so different, however marking as Neverwinter and the customisable MMORPG adventures is perfect.

Before people get all defensive about the game, this game is a dam good MMORPG and I am looking forward to the custom adventures as I never have been left disappointed from the creative that people have when making adventures.

I think many people here need to understand that many people coming to this game for the D&D game play will be very disappointed and have been completely disappointed ever since Neverwinter Nights 2 came out.

If anyone had the chance to play Icewind Dale, Baldur's gate or Neverwinter Nights they will understand what the expected gameplay is, if you have no I highly recommend that you pick up one of the titles and give it a try it's very rewarding.

Anyways looking forward to what comes out of this game, currently feeling a bit let down but I'll wait to be surprised.

The game needs two big things to make it more D&D like IMO.

(1) More customization. This includes character creation, and the foundry. Need more classes, and more skill choices for each class. On a positive note though, I believe they're already working on adding more classes, and hopefully more foundry content/options.

(2) More sandbox options. Mainly I want to see an alignment system that pits players against each other in character. If I'm adventuring and encounter an evil wizard I want to be able to fight him. You could allow neutral players to stay out of the PVP aspect while good and evil players battle for domination over certain areas. This would be excellent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rockombolirockomboli Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRZ1CYYIsCg

igot to say... this guy is pretty cool
  • Options
    atompenguinatompenguin Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If you think any of this is true, it's because you're a bad roleplayer and bad at DnD.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • Options
    muramasaedgemuramasaedge Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's D&D in name, it uses the Forgotten Realms 'Faerun' World setting, and it is very, extremely and in some cases painfully loosely based on the D&D 4th Edition rules. To be honest though, to me this game plays like World of Warcraft circa 2006.

D&D generally tends to have more storytelling also, but then again some GMs run nothing but Dungeon Crawling sessions all about fighting and loot. This game follows that formula.