Install Arc
Options

How is this a D&D game?

2»

Comments

• Options
    halberd388halberd388 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I get the D&D feel of the game, but is this a pen & paper direct port? Then the answer is no it's not a pen & paper port.

What is it then? A game based on the lore, rule-set and ideology of D&D's Neverwinter setting. It's sort of like asking why GURPS isn't more like d20. Both are table top games, but why do they has such different rules? How come GURPS isn't like VtM or other WhiteWolf games?

Did they take liberties in it's creation? Most certainly, but I've played D&D games that only vaugely followed the rule book with pre-made characters from the DM with only one life in massive sprawling campaigns with only 1-2 fights per 4-6 hour sit down. On the other hand I've played games I was able to spend a week making my character with random dice rolls that I video taped for a competition then played with a group I'd never met before that was so set by the rulebook we had to stop quite often just to make sure something was allowed.

So, what perception of D&D is missing for you? If it's a deal breaker, then I'd say don't play. If you can look past the caveat that you feel should be a part of it and see it as a game based on D&D then have fun with it.
  • Options
    koops90koops90 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To answer all of you in a simple short answer. I asked because i have never played anything D&D related before. Infact the D&D board/rp game actually confuses me.

Start investing, ever the older pc D&D based games are good once you get into them. I own just about all of them haha.
  • Options
    myrmeenlhalmyrmeenlhal Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Kandyman2012 -

Dungeons and Dragons is a Role Playing Game (an RPG). It's a form of interactive storytelling, like a hybrid of acting and tabletop strategy games (though most of the groups I've played in actually eschewed that part - we've never use miniatures in Dungeons and Dragons).

That's a very loose definition of what it is. To be more specific -

Each player takes on the role of their character, and acts the part in the scenario the DM has put them in. Combat and skill success are determined through dice rolls based on the abilities of their characters (governed by the game rules), but the player gets to choose their character's actions.

The DM (or Dungeon Master, sometimes also called GM (Game Master)) acts as a narrator for the group, describing places, people, things and situations that will challenge the group. She (or he) will take on the role of the Non-Player Characters (NPCs) and monsters that the group might encounter.

Some games are more focused on hack and slack, get the loot style play. Other games get right into the nitty gritty of the world, and their characters become the political movers and shakers when they gain enough power. Most groups play somewhere between those two extremes.

I hope that gives you a clearer view of what Dungeons and Dragons (and Role Playing) is all about.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What they all said, mostly.

Dungeons and Dragons is a brand. Within this brand are some established "Campaign settings", of which the Forgotten Realms (where Neverwinter is) is one.

There are some different classes and races.

They're all here. This is D&D.

That computer game with "max customization"? No such animal.
    If you think that it is any race that you want (complete with unique abilities), any hairstyle that you want, any scar(s) and tattoo(s) that you want, any hair and eye color that you want, etc, then that game doesn't exist.

There are only games with customization that you like and those with customization that you don't like.
  • Options
    mosheblackaddermosheblackadder Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there is the good old fashioned PNP pen and paper for you youngsters ... dnd like game attempt to follow cannon to a point the game mechanics is what makes an mmo much different from pnp unless you want very very terrible dice rolls while you stand there and click your mouse to strike that skeleton while cursing that your rolls are sucking .. oh no I rolled a one and dropped my pokey stick
  • Options
    rileyb809rileyb809 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What they all said, mostly.

Dungeons and Dragons is a brand. Within this brand are some established "Campaign settings", of which the Forgotten Realms (where Neverwinter is) is one.

There are some different classes and races.

They're all here. This is D&D.

That computer game with "max customization"? No such animal.
    If you think that it is any race that you want (complete with unique abilities), any hairstyle that you want, any scar(s) and tattoo(s) that you want, any hair and eye color that you want, etc, then that game doesn't exist.

There are only games with customization that you like and those with customization that you don't like.

Play Neverwinter Nights :) I think you'll be pretty surprised about the size of content from the community mods packs (CEP) added to the game it wasn't completely customisable but for a game that pre-dates most Current MMOs I think it has done the best job of it.

I still think some people are missing the points when people refer to this being a D&D game they are not talking about the lore but the gameplay style and the ability to have the freedom to do nearly everything in a roleplay or adventure environment.

This is a game set in the D&D lore yes and so far it's pretty good for that, but the act of saying this is a D&D game is very misleading to players who want the D&D gameplay.

There is no reason to hate on anyone for their views on this people who don't like the game wont play it and people who do will.
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I like to think of this game as a tl;dr D&D. I have never played 4th ed though, although this game isn't helping to stoke that desire lol.

^ and yeah NWN is [still] awesome :).
  • Options
    glixxaxelglixxaxel Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why is it Both D&D MMos are all Instance Based?? D&D Online is the same way...lol
    Darlanthus is a Man of dark secrets, Powers even the creatures of the Void are afraid of. Beware of the man known as Darlanthus
  • Options
    antithesis1antithesis1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, this game isn't anything like neverwinter. They need to call it something else, because Neverwinter Nights 2 had way more features then this game. In fact, some servers on Neverwinter nights 2 operated like an mmo. How does a game from like 6 years ago have more features, classes, customization? It's pitiful. It's basically a huge blueballs for all the fans of Neverwinter. Plus the dungeon creation doesn't really capture the essence of being able to create a whole ****ing module from the ground up. I've gave this game a chance, but in short no it's not a true D&D experience. It's a watered down <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of a D&D game. Basically GW2 4e
  • Options
    wolfosworcawolfosworca Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay, so. A lot of people who don't play the PnP will say "D&D is a setting."
    People who play the PnP say that it's more then that. The thing is, a D&D game depends on how you look at it. Expectations for this game were kinda based on a D&D fans PoV. You can't yell at a D&D fan for expecting too much. They expect a D&D game. Skill checks are part of the world. There are a few things i really don't get.

Like, how does this work in terms of sense. If im a mage, i can do a arcane check (aka. Arcane item) to turn of magical fire. That is D&D. That is how it works....but a warrior with a "arcane set" can do that too. So, my skin in the arcane is equal to 7 silver. ^_^ ....I feel worth every penny. Or my thief's.

D&D is not, and shall not be just combat. It is out of combat. It's the talking to people, gaining leads on the street, getting information with your party and venturing forth into the darkness between the safe areas of light to find your fortune and action. This is JUST the combat. And the fans are doing their best to fill in the rest.

I personally want skill checks. REAL ones. :/ It doesn't take much.
  • Options
    mosheblackaddermosheblackadder Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree on skill checks
  • Options
    bbsoonerbbsooner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    If you we're looking for a pen and paper experience then you're going to be disappointed. To me, that's like expecting a 5 star dining experience at taco bell. Sure its good, but its not catered for the individual, its for consumption by the masses.

Also given that 4e always felt dumbed down to me anywsy with more MMO-y aspects than 3.5pnp aspects I would have been surprised if neverwinter had any feeling of traditional dnd.
  • Options
    gruntpyregruntpyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its DnD inspired, not a pen and paper port. Go play tabletop PnP DnD which is far superior, or find a group online through obsidian portal and download maptools.
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it's an action RPG set in the forgotten realms setting in so far that is utilises names and characters from the books and games.

Beyond that there is nothing significantly related to D&D.

The problem with that is that it's been done already with Neverwinter nights. The only way to make a decent translation from tabletop to mmo would be to copy that format.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    thesuperdthesuperd Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's D&D because they paid money to license the names of D&D classes, races, locations, etc. The gameplay isn't going to be anything like pen and paper D&D. It's really just a hack 'n' slash game in that regard.
  • Options
    irtuirtu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    Please, can someone tell me how this is a D&D game? Isnt D&D like a max customizable game with monsters all over.

Easy this is not a D&D game. It's a fantasy game with Forgotten Realms lore
  • Options
    voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dude, it is called Neverwinter and there's a D20 visible during character creation.

Apparently that's all you need to be a D&D game these days.

What ARE you thinking?
  • Options
    thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is it Neverwinter lorewise? Maybe

Is it D&D regarding game mechanics ? Never

Btw I rolled a PnP wizard only yesterday who wears leather armor and wields a sword ^^
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please, can someone tell me how this is a D&D game? Isnt D&D like a max customizable game with monsters all over.

this is water down 4th Edition. It is VASTLY different from previous version of D&D. now the customization is very limited and weapon is limited to single type (which may bight them in the butt later)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.