test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Zone chat is killing me - a complaint and a suggestion

rekia3rekia3 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Complaint: It actually makes me want to quit playing the game, hearing the same 10 questions over and over and over. The thing that is the most frustrating about it is that the game has all the answers if you just took the time to read. I think the developers did a wonderful job of putting all the information out there and making the game very accessible with the map notes and tutorials.

Suggestion: I think it would be a great addition to the game for both new players and veteran players if there was a newbie help chat channel. Some MMOs I've played in the past would have a "new player" chat channel that was universal (could be accessed in any zone), but was only auto subscribed for the low levels, like levels 1-14. After reaching level 15, you would no longer be auto subscribed to it, but could choose to join it if you wanted to help the new players with answers to their seemly endless questions that the rest of us feel are self evident. (Sorry for coming off condescending, but "where is the bank" is very frustrating the 18th time in one hour that I heard it) :\

I think it would also help with the spam and frustration that we feel if the new players were limited to the new persons chat channel until reaching level 15. Then we wouldn't have to hear the endless complaints of the people who downloaded the game just to tell us how much they don't care for this game over whichever game they are currently playing, or the gold spammers, or the question "how does rogue stealth" 60 times an hour.

Conclusion: I really think having a channel specifically for new players' questions would go a long way in helping the overall health of the game and general enjoyment of the playerbase. I think that limiting characters who are under level 15 to this channel would also aid in the fight against trolls and gold spammers.
Post edited by rekia3 on

Comments

• Options
    demetrius94demetrius94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nah, they should just add a quest that involves the bank. I've seen like 60 people ask this question in one form or another today.
  • Options
    indirionindirion Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I turn zone chat off and ignore it. If I need to ask someone as question, I'll turn it back on and post my question. Otherwise, it stays off.
  • Options
    stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    How do you stealth? When do you get stealth? What button is stealth? Can I stealth?
  • Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    indirion wrote: »
    I turn zone chat off and ignore it. If I need to ask someone as question, I'll turn it back on and post my question. Otherwise, it stays off.

This /10char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    wakerglasswakerglass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    i don't hate it because of the questions; i don't mind helping folks out. but the racist and sexist bull**** people are posting just to get a rise out of others is the most out of hand i've ever seen in any mmo to date. i guess because it's f2p? flood gates are wide open.
  • Options
    futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most of the time people ask me where something is, it is something on their map. The bank, the mail, the founder's claim...
    Who plays MMOs and doesn't check the map?!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, sometimes you can't even get an answer or answer a legitimate question with how fast the zone chat scrolls from all the worthless spam.
  • Options
    stewiecraftstewiecraft Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rekia3 wrote: »
    I think the developers did a wonderful job of putting all the information out there and making the game very accessible with the map notes and tutorials.
    I have to disagree with this. Playing a GF and being new to D&D I've had to look up so many mechanics on the internet which are mentioned in my skills assuming that I have prior knowledge of them. It took me so many hours to figure out that my mark falls off when I get hit...
  • Options
    fr0gurtfr0gurt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I copied the default channel to create a "No Zone" channel for the times when Zone chat gets too stupid.

Rekia's suggestion for a "Help" channel is a good one though. I would expand it to this:

"Help/LFG" channel. New players will be restricted to this channel until they pass their probationary period.

"Trade/Item" channel. This is the only public channel where item linking is permitted. (Item linking still works for private channels such as Team, Guild, Tell, and custom channels too.)
  • Options
    stewiecraftstewiecraft Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disallowing item linking wouldn't stop people from attempting to sell/buy things in other channels and it would just be an annoyance for a lot of people. Restricting new players to anything is a terrible idea.
  • Options
    mrvukmrvuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    LOL

yep, 1st thing I did was make a new channel and unclicked "zone" simple
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    futrix wrote: »
    Most of the time people ask me where something is, it is something on their map. The bank, the mail, the founder's claim...
    Who plays MMOs and doesn't check the map?!

Yeah, Zone chat does make me wonder sometimes if I'm the only person left who, when they start a new game, checks out the map, the various buttons & menus on-screen ("how do I find the exchange/zen store/etc"), and keybinds. And talks to shopkeepers (seriously - the first place you walk through after exiting the intro mission - on the way to Knox - is the Market. How could you not stop to see what they all were selling?).

But this is in every game, seemingly.... I remember the Winter Event in Star Trek. You teleport into the Winter Wonderland zone, in the middle of a gazebo filled with NPC questgivers & shops..... and the most common questions asked in chat were things like "who sells the Holiday items?" (Gee, could it be the guy standing behind a table full of gifts, with "Holiday Item Vendor" floating over his head? And why do I know this? Because the first thing I did was go "hey, look! NPCs! Let's talk to them and see what they offer...")

/sigh
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to add that a needed Trade chat (just for NW) also include looking for guild.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    damnkilljoydamnkilljoy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wakerglass wrote: »
    i don't hate it because of the questions; i don't mind helping folks out. but the racist and sexist bull**** people are posting just to get a rise out of others is the most out of hand i've ever seen in any mmo to date. i guess because it's f2p? flood gates are wide open.

This is nothing in comparison to global chat in Tera. That one was just plain sick at times.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is nothing in comparison to global chat in Tera. That one was just plain sick at times.

Yeah, pretty much any game with a global channel gets that way though. I do think if there was a global, zone chat in city would be better. Trolls and such would go to global, and people asking where things are would most likely be in zone. At least i hope so. But yeah, getting really tired of people asking the exact same questions over and over and over for things that are either in the tutorial, on the map or some easily seen spot.
  • Options
    biffstekenbiffsteken Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the most annoying thing is with the "Zone chat" is that you cannot just left-click on the person to whisper them (like in other MMOs), you have to right click on the name and click to send a private message. The thing is with people that's playing, they are very "lazy" in that sort of thing. I know lots of people that don't answer "newbie" questions that people ask in for example the Zone chat, just because they cannot left-click on the name and whisper.

I answer all questions I see to people that ask things, if I know the answer. But with my experience people don't answer. They just ignore them.
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah there's some pretty retarted questions, just do what most of the above has suggested. Create a No-Zone tab and swap between the two when you need Zone for stuff.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    someone forsaw the problem, with Trade at least. You should be able to find NWO trade adn STO trade.

LFG- just create your own with NWO in the name. LFG is already in use in CO.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    primejiveprimejive Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is why I prefer subscription mmo's. At least it weeds out some of the undesirables.
  • Options
    trevien29trevien29 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree, it is absolutely horrible for someone to ask for help in a game that is meant to be social, the nerve of them. While I agree zone chat is frustrating, this is not the reason for it, that would be the rest of the garbage that gets spewed in it.
  • Options
    trollsparrowtrollsparrow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    I think the most annoying thing is the repeated "I will trade you 10 boxes for 1 key"... Like just spend the $1.25 and stfu. Can't even find a foundary group because people spam about these **** boxes.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I never, ever listen to or talk to Zone chat.

Best and easiest way to get chat banned for 24 hours.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Something Champions Online does well is the Community. The First and Third Stickied Threads are dedicated to tips from older players to newer ones. Just the vets answering any and all questions asked. One is a dedicated to players from CoH and the other to players fresh out of the Tutorial. Required reading for ANY new player. I would start a similar one here, myself, but I'm, frankly, just not that good yet. One of you "pro's" out there might want to consider it. Just your personal list of things that all new players need to know, the answers to all of those annoying questions people keep asking, and an invitation to any new players to freely ask questions and other crusty ol' farts to answer those questions. It would also help ENORMOUSLY if we could get a Moderator to keep close watch on the thread and remove Trolling and Griefing posts. It will eliminate a surprising amount of these posts. Not all, by any means, but enough to, over time, de-clutter Zone Chat to surprising degree.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The first I did on open beta launch was to turn off the chat.

Too many players who all caps and dont bother researching the smallest things.

Sorry Ive never been a huge altruistic soul.
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Something Champions Online does well is the Community. The First and Third Stickied Threads are dedicated to tips from older players to newer ones. Just the vets answering any and all questions asked. One is a dedicated to players from CoH and the other to players fresh out of the Tutorial. Required reading for ANY new player. I would start a similar one here, myself, but I'm, frankly, just not that good yet. One of you "pro's" out there might want to consider it. Just your personal list of things that all new players need to know, the answers to all of those annoying questions people keep asking, and an invitation to any new players to freely ask questions and other crusty ol' farts to answer those questions. It would also help ENORMOUSLY if we could get a Moderator to keep close watch on the thread and remove Trolling and Griefing posts. It will eliminate a surprising amount of these posts. Not all, by any means, but enough to, over time, de-clutter Zone Chat to surprising degree.

I love those "things you wish you knew starting out" threads that most games have. It's super useful and nice of people to make them. However, I think people who are too lazy to open the map and look at where the bank is or open their character sheet and see what level they learn stealth at are not going to come to the forums and read.

I usually like the global chat in games, it's just that in this game it's so spammy and horrible (and offensive at times). I loved the general chat in Everquest and Guild Wars 2. I want to be able to chat and laugh and find groups with random people, like I did in other games. The zone chat the way that it is now does not allow for this because it is full of trolls and new people asking the same obvious questions over and over.

I can't believe more people don't want to explode when they see "where do I buy scrolls of identification?" for the 30th time. The first 16 times I even answered until people started getting belligerent and calling the game "pay to win" because ID scrolls are bought with astral diamonds. /sigh
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wakerglass wrote: »

Ditto, this game game's tutorial is lacking, so I don't mind questions. In fact, helping players is the only reason I even consider keeping the zone chat open. The constant trolling however, needs to be addressed.

To be fair though, I simply opened my map to find the bank. Not sure why people don't even bother looking for it.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    wtfgivemeanamewtfgivemeaname Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Turn zone chat off, or be a passive aggressive whino. Hrm.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Turn zone chat off, or be a passive aggressive whino. Hrm.

Turning the zone chat off does not fix the problem, it just hides it. The problem is still there, it's still turning people away. The problem is twofold: 1- the chat is super spammy and horrible to have to read: and 2- new people with real questions can't get help. I propose an actual solution instead of "just ignore it".
  • Options
    foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just turn it off, it will save you several headaches.
  • Options
    caleshhcaleshh Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    Chat off.....