test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Zone chat is killing me - a complaint and a suggestion

2»

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I really like the idea.

I hope it's added!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . Yeah, when there was a lot of people asking where to buy ID scrolls in Beta, they added an intro quest introducing the vendor. They should do the same with the bank, just as they have done with the Wondrous Bazaar, AH, Mount and Companion vendors. I also think an official Newbie or New Player channel would be beneficial.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i think it should be possible to disable the chat window in the ui menu...i dont need it, it bothers me
  • adamaantadamaant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rekia3 wrote: »
    Complaint: It actually makes me want to quit playing the game, hearing the same 10 questions over and over and over. The thing that is the most frustrating about it is that the game has all the answers if you just took the time to read. I think the developers did a wonderful job of putting all the information out there and making the game very accessible with the map notes and tutorials.

Suggestion: I think it would be a great addition to the game for both new players and veteran players if there was a newbie help chat channel. Some MMOs I've played in the past would have a "new player" chat channel that was universal (could be accessed in any zone), but was only auto subscribed for the low levels, like levels 1-14. After reaching level 15, you would no longer be auto subscribed to it, but could choose to join it if you wanted to help the new players with answers to their seemly endless questions that the rest of us feel are self evident. (Sorry for coming off condescending, but "where is the bank" is very frustrating the 18th time in one hour that I heard it) :\

I think it would also help with the spam and frustration that we feel if the new players were limited to the new persons chat channel until reaching level 15. Then we wouldn't have to hear the endless complaints of the people who downloaded the game just to tell us how much they don't care for this game over whichever game they are currently playing, or the gold spammers, or the question "how does rogue stealth" 60 times an hour.

Conclusion: I really think having a channel specifically for new players' questions would go a long way in helping the overall health of the game and general enjoyment of the playerbase. I think that limiting characters who are under level 15 to this channel would also aid in the fight against trolls and gold spammers.
    This is asinine I rarely even look at the chat comments unless I'm the one asking the question. You don't have the ability to tune it out? Maybe you should play a single player game. God forbid someone is new to the game and wants to ask a question. I see nothing wrong with a newbee channel, but I do have a problem with elitist attitudes and we are still in Open Beta. Good lord.
  • mosnacky01mosnacky01 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One thing I do wish we had was the ability to have static private channels and a directory of player made channels, that would go a long way in fostering the community.
    No woman should marry before she has slain her tenth man.-:Vartha Do'Urden
  • ursadorableursadorable Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    How do you stealth? When do you get stealth? What button is stealth? Can I stealth?

It doesn't help that your beginning talents you spec into tell you how you get bonuses when you stealth, but don't actually tell you how to stealth or how to get it. When I first started playing a trickster rogue, I had the same question.. the difference was I googled it instead of looking like an idiot in zone chat.
  • charlennecharlenne Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree on the point that the Zone chat is spammed.

It might make sense to have an ingame "FAQ button" or a "Players help Players" section. I would want a something like one of those Job boards highlighted when you first enter the city with all the FAQ stuff on it or space for players to write guides on. SO you have an ingame acess to the info rather than having to search the forums. Especially since the "idle time" you have is only 15min till you get kicked out of game.

Aside from that, we have many players who think that the only "allowed" language in chat is English. Mind that we have the launcher in 3 diffrent languages (English, German, French). It would be nice to have an autotranslate for the foundry quests or at least a Flag that tells you in which language it is before you pick it up.

:) Thank you all for your hard work.
  • miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    mosnacky01 wrote: »
    One thing I do wish we had was the ability to have static private channels and a directory of player made channels, that would go a long way in fostering the community.

You do have this. Right-click the little gear icon to the top-left of the chat window. This will open a window with 2 tabs. One of those tabs lets you manage custom channels, including starting your own or searching for existing ones.
  • rekia3rekia3 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    adamaant wrote: »
    This is asinine I rarely even look at the chat comments unless I'm the one asking the question. You don't have the ability to tune it out? Maybe you should play a single player game. God forbid someone is new to the game and wants to ask a question. I see nothing wrong with a newbee channel, but I do have a problem with elitist attitudes and we are still in Open Beta. Good lord.

Hey, I apologized for sounding like an elitist jerk! Sorry if I somehow offended you or something? I do realize how it sounds, but I actually enjoy interaction with my fellow player. The zone chat the way it is now is limiting my ability to meet new people, join random groups, laugh at silly jokes, and just enjoy the online community because it is full of spam, pointless questions (I don't mind people asking questions, I mind the SAME question over and over when the answer is as easy as pressing the M button), not to mention the racism, sexism and other horrible trolling.

Maybe I should have clarified for the judgmental, jaded, jerks who wish to judge me, but I want zone chat to be enjoyable. I do not want to ignore it, I do not want all the new people's questions to go unanswered because the chat is so horrible that the vet players must turn it off. I do not want people to look at that chat and hate this game.

Ugh, I'm sorry again. Sometimes I try to write a serious post but I can't keep my flippant and sarcastic attitude from showing through. I do really hope they consider ways to improve the zone chat though. On a related note, it's really only bad in the Protectors Enclave, the other zones seem to be more reasonable and sometimes fun. :)

+1 for player-made channels that someone mentioned earlier. I've played some games that had them and they were awesome. Players usually created specific channels for specific purposes, like an auction channel or a new people help channel. Regulated and moderated by the players, they were effective ways to keep in touch with other people.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rekia3 wrote: »
    +1 for player-made channels that someone mentioned earlier. I've played some games that had them and they were awesome. Players usually created specific channels for specific purposes, like an auction channel or a new people help channel. Regulated and moderated by the players, they were effective ways to keep in touch with other people.
    The existing CO & STO player created channels are accessible in NW and players can make new ones in NW as well. You may have to have an old enough account/have bought Zen to make a new one, but joining an existing custom channel is available to all.
  • chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    here is Morbic's current channel list
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?206631-Guide-Custom-Channel-Creation-Joining-and-List

with instructions on joining/creating channels
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!