test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

*Offensive Names* Have you guys considered policing the character names?

13»

Comments

• rakkanothrakkanoth Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People who have problems with 'offensive names' (highly subjective anyways)
    should probably exit this planet :D You are offended? So ****ing what? xD

Bring it on :P
  • sefeniasefenia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    rakkanoth wrote: »
    People who have problems with 'offensive names' (highly subjective anyways)
    should probably exit this planet :D You are offended? So ****ing what? xD

I'm curious, are you 15?
    vn7W95H.png
  • jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rakkanoth wrote: »
    People who have problems with 'offensive names' (highly subjective anyways) should probably exit this planet :D
    You are offended? So ****ing what? xD

A naming policy is not subjective. Game, set and match
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sefenia wrote: »
    I'm curious, are you 15?

it's a trap.

oh so being an open minded individual with a sense of humour, who gets on with life automatically makes you a 15yr old eh?
    /yawn
  • charezoncharezon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    Then don't play a game where you're supposed to interact with thousands, if not millions of other individuals with varying opinions, personalities, views etc

100% disagree with you. The OP has EVERY right to play the game. You do NOT have every right to spout your vulgar and/or offensive names (and language) in the NW community. This is NOT your personal home or space, you share it with thousands of others - abide by the rules and T&C. Learn to respect others.
    Wizard.jpg
  • charezoncharezon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it's a trap.

oh so being an open minded individual with a sense of humour, who gets on with life automatically makes you a 15yr old eh?
    /yawn

You sure as heck removed your "pedo" comment very quickly. Your comments more than proves my point regarding immaturity, it has NOTHING to do with regard to open-mindedness.
    Wizard.jpg
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    charezon wrote: »
    100% disagree with you. The OP has EVERY right to play the game. You do NOT have every right to spout your vulgar and/or offensive names (and language) in the NW community. This is NOT your personal home or space, you share it with thousands of others - abide by the rules and T&C. Learn to respect others.

Nor is it yours to enforce your rules and beliefs.

If Cryptic wanted it to be a dedicated ropleplaying game with no chance to reference the outside world then they would enforced that.
    AGAIN, we are all individuals, you have no right nor do I to say what is and isnt acceptable.

It's a video game which is connected to the internet where millions of people reside.
    Live with it or don't.
  • jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nor is it yours to enforce your rules and beliefs.

If Cryptic wanted it to be a dedicated ropleplaying game with no chance to reference the outside world then they would enforced that.
    AGAIN, we are all individuals, you have no right nor do I to say what is and isnt acceptable.

It's a video game which is connected to the internet where millions of people reside.
    Live with it or don't.
    Or try to change it hence this thread. The question is why you're seemingly so against a naming policy
    edited May 2013
    because then you open it up to other prudish players who find offense to the word Scorpion because it reminds them of a Mexican gang that their cousins, sisters, step fathers, uncle, best friends dog was shot by.

Like someone who posted earlier they were offended when they saw someone running around with the name cancer face. I forgot the part where Cryptic developed their game around the sensitivities of others.

Creativity does wonders for those with the power to utilise it.
    edited May 2013
    because then you open it up to other prudish players who find offense to the word Scorpion because it reminds them of a Mexican gang that their cousins, sisters, step fathers, uncle, best friends dog was shot by.

Creativity does wonders for those with the power to utilise it.
    Name 1 mmo where that happened please. That's a slippery slope fallacy

Also, offensive names are not creative. In fact it's probably harder to come up with a good name fitting for the genre than it is to just use 2 offensive words
  • wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know Iam older than many here but what ever happened to decorum and civility? I conduct myself on the net as I would in real life. I wouldn't go around telling people Iam called (insert swear word here) so why would I do it in game? why do people do it? to shock and try and get a reaction from others, It is like they are saying "look at me look at me" well I look and just shake my head thinking "oh look another immature child".
    Personally if I see a vulgar name I will put them in my ignore list.
  • hellbellyjokerhellbellyjoker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Perspective and human intelligence usually dictates behavior on the side of moderation. In one part of the world, I can say I enjoy seeing terrorist activity, while in another, every patriot and victim cries legal enforcement (as an example). It comes down to respecting varying levels of considered appropriate behavior erring on the side of better safe than sorry. If they allow the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Ive seen, they also have to deal with the stuff they might not like too- hence creating a furthered degraded experience for all their customers. We dont need every type of human sexuality discussed in general chat channels, nor hear about how many different animals had been violated (with love though) by people.

Wow, a generalist statement trying to come off as a professional.

Welcome to the Internet, are you going to get your "butt hurt" over everything you do not agree with? If so, you are not going to have fun anywhere. I guess you have not been to the other video game called "Outside", this has a lot of human interaction where people talk about things face to face and folks who try to offend people. The game has a profanity filter and an ignore function. If you were in a relationship, you would understand the ignore function pretty well. I understand by your writing that you may have been breast-fed until you were about 14 and probably still live with your mother (Oedipus complex and all), but if you go outside I promise you that you will hear and see things that offend you.
    edited May 2013
    wrenaq wrote: »
    I know Iam older than many here but what ever happened to decorum and civility? I conduct myself on the net as I would in real life. I wouldn't go around telling people Iam called (insert swear word here) so why would I do it in game? why do people do it? to shock and try and get a reaction from others, It is like they are saying "look at me look at me" well I look and just shake my head thinking "oh look another immature child".

+1

100% with you on this.
    Wizard.jpg
  • hellbellyjokerhellbellyjoker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wrenaq wrote: »

You sir, have children!

I never understood why this behavior is so hard to do for some, instead of writing an essay o how offended someone is - show it with action by ignoring the other player - problem solved and no one's game was ruined. Instead of messing with someone else's fun, you secure your own with ignore.
  • wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have kids? no I have never felt the urge to spawn my demon seed lol.
    Why have kids when there are so many out there without parents, I will adopt in a few years...it is the moral thing to do :D
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . Please use the reporting methods in the game to report naming violations. We cannot allow such reports to be made on the forums and because this thread will, and already has, been used for such, I am closing this down. Never the less, thanks for the heads up. I will make sure this thread is seen by the Community Managers.
This discussion has been closed.