Install Arc
Options

Guild wars + WoW = Neverwinter?

2»

Comments

• Options
    karazinkarazin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have no problem when a game is inspired by features of another game or perfect them and bring them to the next level.I have not tested NWO but from what I saw from the streams and videos,the game can stand on its own.The only other game that come to my mind is TERA.
  • Options
    trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Its just me but the quality of posts has gone alot down in last couple weeks.. who called the trolls. We know what that means, right.
  • Options
    vrtnipatuljakvrtnipatuljak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    Its just me but the quality of posts has gone alot down in last couple weeks.. who called the trolls. We know what that means, right.

Or people have just played the beta now and realised that it has way more in common with GW2 and WoW than actual D&D, and it kinda stings
  • Options
    jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Kinda funny comming from a guy with your account name. Maybe it's because Cryptic is doing a poor job with a game that clearly is not D&D.
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

Its because ppl that played the beta, spent money. If there was no money involved, everything would be way more constructive. However, after buying into a game that gives... possibly the sh**iest character customization (mostly due to total cookie-cutter classes) to date, it'll make ya wanna raise a pitchfork or two. Mostly, because you know its not going to change, and they're obviously cool with this.

side not: I love the gameplay, just want my D&D customization plz...
  • Options
    felix1252felix1252 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    People can fault and argue my opinion all they like but my opinion on this thread is what the hell? In my honest opinion it is nothing like WoW or GW2, i have no idea where you got this idea but obviously it's your opinion and if you think it's just a mix clone of two games then feel free not to play man but after playing in the beta i can say in my opinion that it is nothing like those games at all. And i'm not going to give a bunch of my own reasons why i have this opinion though i do have them because i'm not here to argue i'm just here to say my opinion.
    Looking for a friendly english speaking EU Guild.
  • Options
    phixsphixs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I didnt feel anything related to WoW or GW2 when i tried Neverwinter for the first time. The foundry reminded me of the Architect system from City of Heroes, the combat felt a little like RIFT to me but with much more weight to it which i think is good. The quest pickup and delivery system is basicly like any other game out there, but doing them was pretty fun and a bit different because it didnt involved the stupid "collect 12 bear paws" which i am are so overfed with. The stat and item system reminded me a bit of DDO and all the good old singlerplayer like BG1 and 2 and IWD but a bit more simplified.

My only wish would be to do away with the feat system as it is now.. I really dont see the point in calling them feats as its just points to increase dmg or something else by a small percentage. Should be real feats giving you a feel of really making a choice that matters.

Overall the game has been great and im not regretting buying the founders pack. I made it to level 19 on my Thief and the experience thus fare has been awwsome..
  • Options
    trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Or people have just played the beta now and realised that it has way more in common with GW2 and WoW than actual D&D, and it kinda stings
    ichbin wrote: »
    Its because ppl that played the beta, spent money. If there was no money involved, everything would be way more constructive. However, after buying into a game that gives... possibly the sh**iest character customization (mostly due to total cookie-cutter classes) to date, it'll make ya wanna raise a pitchfork or two. Mostly, because you know its not going to change, and they're obviously cool with this.

side not: I love the gameplay, just want my D&D customization plz...
    jim1771 wrote: »
    Kinda funny comming from a guy with your account name. Maybe it's because Cryptic is doing a poor job with a game that clearly is not D&D.

He hits, he scores! 3 replies! Succesful troll is succesful.
  • Options
    drizzt1814drizzt1814 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    phixs wrote: »
    I didnt feel anything related to WoW or GW2 when i tried Neverwinter for the first time. The foundry reminded me of the Architect system from City of Heroes, the combat felt a little like RIFT to me but with much more weight to it which i think is good. The quest pickup and delivery system is basicly like any other game out there, but doing them was pretty fun and a bit different because it didnt involved the stupid "collect 12 bear paws" which i am are so overfed with. The stat and item system reminded me a bit of DDO and all the good old singlerplayer like BG1 and 2 and IWD but a bit more simplified.

My only wish would be to do away with the feat system as it is now.. I really dont see the point in calling them feats as its just points to increase dmg or something else by a small percentage. Should be real feats giving you a feel of really making a choice that matters.

Overall the game has been great and im not regretting buying the founders pack. I made it to level 19 on my Thief and the experience thus fare has been awwsome..

I'm glad you're enjoying it sir. Somehow though, I wouldn't expect someone who paid $200 on the game before it came out to say anything bad about it, as it could reflect poorly on the buyer.
    felix1252 wrote: »
    People can fault and argue my opinion all they like but my opinion on this thread is what the hell? In my honest opinion it is nothing like WoW or GW2, i have no idea where you got this idea but obviously it's your opinion and if you think it's just a mix clone of two games then feel free not to play man but after playing in the beta i can say in my opinion that it is nothing like those games at all. And i'm not going to give a bunch of my own reasons why i have this opinion though i do have them because i'm not here to argue i'm just here to say my opinion.
    Easy on the emotions man, I just wanted to know if what I was seeing lined up to what others were playing- is it so wrong to ask questions?
    Good things are good, bad things are bad. It doesn't matter where they originated.

Well Put. The context of "Origin point" Is merely a point of reference, not the actual complaint, on my own part. I don't care where it comes from, really. I just say, hey, A+B kinda looks like C, am I seeing clearly? Cause I didn't like A or B.. so I certainly don't want that!
    I mean, I could say "hey the combat looks button mashy, the art looks cartoony, and the Character customization leaves much to be desired", maybe there would be less rage posts and more answers had I worded it that way...
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    neither WoW nor GW2 allows it's players to add content to the game also each character class and role plays differently and has different values they bring to a dungeon group so no, this is not the same IMHO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    neither WoW nor GW2 allows it's players to add content to the game also each character class and role plays differently and has different values they bring to a dungeon group so no, this is not the same IMHO.

This is important!
    Cleric keeps people alive
    Fighter keeps monster of the back of others
    Rogue finds secret doors, disables traps and helps with damage

Special here:
    Cleric is only available as spellcaster class, not meele
    Fighter is only available as shield+weapon meele class
    Rogues are the massive area damage dealer instead of sneaky single target from behind killer and cannot even use a shortbow (which I find kind of weird and is the childish WoW interpretation in my point of view)
  • Options
    cherokeluvcherokeluv Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bobcat1313 wrote: »
    I agree 100%! about WoW being a little dumbed down. WoW was still a wonderful game, was talking to my brother last night he was asking how did you level up 6 characters before I maxed one. I was like if you played EQ1 you would understand mmo's and wow was soo dumbed down it was insane. You had to write down your quest in EQ atleast when I played, made my own maps was wonderful, but now having kids and no time WoW was the perfect game for me. (we no longer play it, but still talk about it)

I never played GW2, someone said there was a dye system there was a dye system in EQ1 also, but I'm sure EQ used stuff from UO. I never really understood this whole clone thing. I like EQ, EQ2, WoW, SWG, and SWTOR(till server merge) and hoping I like NWO I think all of them there own game. Is WoW and GW2 both tab and lock games? I know WoW is. I might be wrong about GW2. Tera really the only game I know of that is like NWO on combat. I'm sure there is more and I might be wrong about GW2, I played GW1 for like two days.

Anyway not sure what I'm really getting at... maybe I will look at NWO as NWO. Well unless doing quest I run into Thrall, or Antonia Bayle.
    You hit it right on about Wow! I played since day one and it was great in the beginning but now they don't even have to know anything about Intellect, Strength etc because its all built into it now. I haven't not played yet Im waiting to try Neverwinter before I shell out a lot of cash but if I like the feel of it I will buy a pact. I like a game where no ones build can be exactly the same and you actually have to configure your intellect, strength, charisma etc...like in Dungeons and Dragons online. GW2 is better than GW1 but the no mount thing bugs me and its kind of babied down too but not as much as wow. By the way I have 6 geared 90 in Wow and I don't even play all that much. They ruined a good thing.
  • Options
    persenaamahuorapaskapersenaamahuorapaska Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    nah, it's runescape + tekken
  • Options
    jackpipsamjackpipsam Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    More like a pretty version of Dungeons and Dragons Online, without the personality.
  • Options
    dervimnorthdervimnorth Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jackpipsam wrote: »
    More like a pretty version of Dungeons and Dragons Online, without the personality.

And without DND... Hell, if anything it's dumbed down version of 4ed(which by itself is a dumbed down edition) slapped on top of dumbed down vanilla WoW.
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nothing close to resembling either.

World of Warcraft:
    WoW's classes have a **** tonne more depth to them. Classes can fulfil more than one role.
    All loot isn't Bind on Equip and end game loot is Bind on Pickup.
    PvP is somewhat balanced/has a little more depth/versatility.
    No auto aim...seriously what is up with auto aim...
    NO CASH SHOP.
    World Bosses.
    Rare spawns.
    Some zone events.

Guild Wars:
    Has cash shop but not as intrusive as it is in here and nowhere near as expensive.
    Has instancing but is way way larger and no invisible walls.
    Better action combat. Click to target/interact is a bonus.
    Looks ten times better.
    Zone events.

Also in regards to user created content...if the developers weren't lazy there'd be more than enough content to keep players interested. The foundry is just a bare bones editor with no real reward apart from random generated loot.

WoW and GW have more than enough events and major patches released to keep everyone skipping along.
    Sorry to say but NWO is more like a kiddies OCD mmorpg than anything. Simplified, lacking and nothing else.
  • Options
    mideonap2mideonap2 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drizzt1814 wrote: »
    Thats not what makes a good mmo, IMo. Every game does that and fails hard, actually. thats why the mmo market is so stale- they all copy eachother instead of doing something different. WoW was popular because it was for everyone AND was different! So I guess I'm saying.. is this more of the same? I think I've found my answer. Time to look for innovation elsewhere, but enjoy the game those of you who are pleased with this product :)

I have played wow for 8 years, guild wars 2, asheron's call, coh, co, even a ton of betas for games I cant disclose which are in current betas, and this is the only game worth playing as of yet. You ask for innovations, what exactly do you want for an innovation at this point? An eye tracking laser system so you can just look at your screen and shout commands? The dynamic fighting system is similar to Wildstar and only these two games are going to be worth playing.
  • Options
    mideonap2mideonap2 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    nothing close to resembling either.

World of Warcraft:
    WoW's classes have a **** tonne more depth to them. Classes can fulfil more than one role.
    All loot isn't Bind on Equip and end game loot is Bind on Pickup.
    PvP is somewhat balanced/has a little more depth/versatility.
    No auto aim...seriously what is up with auto aim...
    NO CASH SHOP.
    World Bosses.
    Rare spawns.
    Some zone events.

Guild Wars:
    Has cash shop but not as intrusive as it is in here and nowhere near as expensive.
    Has instancing but is way way larger and no invisible walls.
    Better action combat. Click to target/interact is a bonus.
    Looks ten times better.
    Zone events.

Also in regards to user created content...if the developers weren't lazy there'd be more than enough content to keep players interested. The foundry is just a bare bones editor with no real reward apart from random generated loot.

WoW and GW have more than enough events and major patches released to keep everyone skipping along.
    Sorry to say but NWO is more like a kiddies OCD mmorpg than anything. Simplified, lacking and nothing else.

uh wow pvp is horrible, the classes only have depth after 8+ years, and its tired and old

gw2 isn't worth the free monthly subscription unless you want to world pvp WHICH is the best world pvp I have ever played, but that's all i would reccomend it for after soloing to max level and exploring the zones there's nothing to do because their dungeons are horrible and they have no raids
  • Options
    rasmenar2112rasmenar2112 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game plays absolutely nothing like GW2 whatsoever. The ONLY similarity I could see is Dyes, but they are not permanently unlocked for your account, they are used on an item-to-item basis, more like dyes in Diablo 3. Guild Wars 2 has a storyline quest, but you cannot level just by questing, you have to explore and find events and go for map completion in some areas. Or just run around filling in POI's/WP's until you level.

It's kinda similar to WoW in that you level by questing, but even with that it FEELS nothing like WoW questing due to the combat engine. It uses some core MMO systems that have been around since EQ2 (equipment slots, rarity represented by color, etc) but to be honest, I can't really say that this game "resembles" or "is a clone of" anything.
    Alone in the darkness, that is where you truly discover yourself. Without self, without the core of your identity, you are nothing. - Rasmenar
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mideonap2 wrote: »
    uh wow pvp is horrible, the classes only have depth after 8+ years, and its tired and old

gw2 isn't worth the free monthly subscription unless you want to world pvp WHICH is the best world pvp I have ever played, but that's all i would reccomend it for after soloing to max level and exploring the zones there's nothing to do because their dungeons are horrible and they have no raids

And there's a whole lot more to both than there is in NWO. Cryptic has heaps of influence to base things on yet stuck to some weird *** formula which is a step backwards.
    How you chose to play GW2 was your choice, nobody else. I had a riot leveling up and getting my gear to look how I want it. After that moved on to greener pastures.

Giving players choice and freedom are what break up the monotony of MMORPG's and the grind through the content.

End of the day classes are still stuck in their roles. Guardians can't dual wield or use 2h, gwf's cant pick up a shield,, rogues cant use swords or bows, clerics cant tank and wizards are just wizards. there's no depth or choice to classes. Understand what I'm getting at?

good.
  • Options
    theaszuretheaszure Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wow clone.
    [XBOX] - Malvious - Oathbound Paladin
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    theaszure wrote: »
    wow clone.

not even close.

Also forgot to mention that there's a **** tonne more individuality when it comes to armour and colours than there is in NWO.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    drizzt1814 wrote: »
    Well, what do you think?
    They copied much from Guild Wars 2, obviously... and slapped the brand GW2 put on their game onto this one, and the cartoony look is more than like WoW.

What do you think, is this the DnD experience you know and love, or is it GW2 done differently?

I'm no fan of GW2 or WoW, and I love DnD and I wanted something different, you see... but I feel like I'm just getting more of the same!

Talk to me, people! :)
    I don't think the graphics are cartoony, a bit exaggerated but pretty realistic.

And I wouldn't say they copied anything directly, ALL MMO's are inspired by previous MMO's and that's only natural.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deads6667 wrote: »
    with the foundry this game is already set far apart from any other action combat mmo out there, im very much looking foward to this game. Raiderz was enjoyable but lacking in some basic areas (grouping system, chat blocking, etc), NWO isnt going to skimp in standard areas.

Sorry but STo had a foundry long before Neverwinter did. STo is also another action MMO
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • Options
    pedjanikpedjanik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its missing free world, that way this game wud be way beter
  • Options
    jaz182jaz182 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From what I see, they did take good parts from games, Tera (healing fires) on top of what you already have suggested, not a bad thing, the best games are always the ones which takes the good parts from other games, and getting rid of the...not so good parts.
  • Options
    drizzt1814drizzt1814 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, after playing the game I must say that despite having multiple aspects from both WoW and Guild wars, the game is still unique and offers a "fresh enough" experience, if not a completely unique one! Needlessly to say, I like DnD, and though this is not a true DnD game in my book, it is still fun to play and offers enough Immersion to keep me hooked for now!
  • Options
    demampdemamp Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it took more from Tera than either of those games.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    just the fact that this game has good dungeons means that they haven't copied this from gw2.

100% truth
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark