test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guild wars + WoW = Neverwinter?

drizzt1814drizzt1814 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
Well, what do you think?
They copied much from Guild Wars 2, obviously... and slapped the brand GW2 put on their game onto this one, and the cartoony look is more than like WoW.

What do you think, is this the DnD experience you know and love, or is it GW2 done differently?

I'm no fan of GW2 or WoW, and I love DnD and I wanted something different, you see... but I feel like I'm just getting more of the same!

Talk to me, people! :)
Post edited by drizzt1814 on

Comments

• Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just the fact that this game has good dungeons means that they haven't copied this from GW2.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Lol, I'll give it that!
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I haven't tried it yet so I don't know (waiting till the STO/CO LTS'er beta), but was watching an appearance customization vid in youtube today and the interface seemed very reminiscent of GW2. That, plus the fact that dyes have been confirmed for colors (another GW2 affectation) has me worried about what appearance customization will be like in this game, since other Cryptic games blow GW2 out of the water in terms of appearance customization for the most part (though GW2 also has nice things, and I actually prefer their facial sliders to CO, but armor customization utterly sucks and is clunky, limited and grindy as hell compared to CO).
    Yeah Denkakasaeba, I hear that! GW2 has the worst dungeon system I ever played, and is 1 of the reasons I don't play the game much or at all. But 1 thing for sure GW2 had some good stuff in there game, and so did wow, and all any 1 has to do to make a good game imo is just take the good stuff from other games and put it all in 1. So if neverwinter is good stuff from GW2+good stuff from wow, and that = neverwinter then that is fine by me.
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Unfortunately i've been burnt by a really bad GW2 experience (game+guild). What i didn't like about that game was basically only the endgame (which is not a little thing, mind). The leveling system was really good, admittedly, as the skill-movement combat system. The lack of a reticule made the game more clunky, though. Nevertheless, i still hope NO being more mechanically deep than GW2 and, especially, having a good endgame.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yeah Denkakasaeba, I hear that! GW2 has the worst dungeon system I ever played, and is 1 of the reasons I don't play the game much or at all. But 1 thing for sure GW2 had some good stuff in there game, and so did wow, and all any 1 has to do to make a good game imo is just take the good stuff from other games and put it all in 1. So if neverwinter is good stuff from GW2+good stuff from wow, and that = neverwinter then that is fine by me.

Thats not what makes a good mmo, IMo. Every game does that and fails hard, actually. thats why the mmo market is so stale- they all copy eachother instead of doing something different. WoW was popular because it was for everyone AND was different! So I guess I'm saying.. is this more of the same? I think I've found my answer. Time to look for innovation elsewhere, but enjoy the game those of you who are pleased with this product :)
  • Options
    deads6667deads6667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    drizzt1814 wrote: »
    WoW was popular because it was for everyone AND was different!

i dont mean to burst your bubble but wow completely ripped off everything about everquest and dumbed it down, thats why wow was popular. because EQ was a massive hit but it was for hardcore gamers, wow made it easier and stole every single concept about it. thats where their user base came from and of course its evolved in the last 7 years from there
  • Options
    bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    deads6667 wrote: »
    i dont mean to burst your bubble but wow completely ripped off everything about everquest and dumbed it down, thats why wow was popular. because EQ was a massive hit but it was for hardcore gamers, wow made it easier and stole every single concept about it. thats where their user base came from and of course its evolved in the last 7 years from there

I agree 100%! about WoW being a little dumbed down. WoW was still a wonderful game, was talking to my brother last night he was asking how did you level up 6 characters before I maxed one. I was like if you played EQ1 you would understand mmo's and wow was soo dumbed down it was insane. You had to write down your quest in EQ atleast when I played, made my own maps was wonderful, but now having kids and no time WoW was the perfect game for me. (we no longer play it, but still talk about it)

I never played GW2, someone said there was a dye system there was a dye system in EQ1 also, but I'm sure EQ used stuff from UO. I never really understood this whole clone thing. I like EQ, EQ2, WoW, SWG, and SWTOR(till server merge) and hoping I like NWO I think all of them there own game. Is WoW and GW2 both tab and lock games? I know WoW is. I might be wrong about GW2. Tera really the only game I know of that is like NWO on combat. I'm sure there is more and I might be wrong about GW2, I played GW1 for like two days.

Anyway not sure what I'm really getting at... maybe I will look at NWO as NWO. Well unless doing quest I run into Thrall, or Antonia Bayle.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I actually thought the gameplay looked more like Tera (albeit without combos) than GW2 to be honest.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    *sigh* not these X game copied X game argument again...

The game is what the game is, either it's fun and enjoyable or it's not. Play it or not but stop these tiresome comparisons. Neverwinter could be to most carbon copies MMO out there and as long as it's fun then that is all that matters.
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    How about it's down the same line as Vindictus/C9/Dragons Nest. Too bad those and this so far the PvE looks like a face roll.
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

The game is what the game is, either it's fun and enjoyable or it's not. Play it or not but stop these tiresome comparisons. Neverwinter could be to most carbon copies MMO out there and as long as it's fun then that is all that matters.

For my part, I have no issue with games copying eachother sometimes--when its actually an improvement. My only point of contention is (assuming that my fears are not unfounded*) why copy another game when Cryptic already does it better?

Though, I agree with some points being made here that games also need to add their own original touches to set themselves appart from the rest and add real value to their games. Cryptic has always done this through appearance customization, which leads me back to the question above (again, assuming that my fears are not unfounded*) .

*and they've been confirmed to be, at least as far as a dye system for armor recoloring is concerned (other Cryptic games simply allow you full access to their whole color range for a nominal in-game fee without forcing you to farm dyes)
    with the foundry this game is already set far apart from any other action combat mmo out there, im very much looking foward to this game. Raiderz was enjoyable but lacking in some basic areas (grouping system, chat blocking, etc), NWO isnt going to skimp in standard areas.
  • Options
    hundredhandslaphundredhandslap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    Why are you comparing it to either one?

Cryptic always takes a unique approach to character customization and combat compared to other online games. One that most other MMOs can't compete with, to be honest. Neither GW 2 or WoW come close to the customization and combat of Champions.

So, this is DND + every MMO Cryptic has made, seeing as how Neverwinter is using the same proprietary technology.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have never understood the argument over one game copying something successful from another game. So instead of using something that works and everyone enjoys they should come up with something completely different and gamble on if it will be accepted? That is a terrible business plan in a market filled with so many options. Unless you are Arenanet, and they had a large fan base to prop them up from their previous title. Just so happened that it worked (opinion).

Combat is not exactly like GW2, similar but not exact. It's similar to Tera as well, but not exact. I am hoping it is a happy middle ground since both combat systems work quite well (I prefer Tera over GW2 personally).

As mentioned, the one thing that will set this MMO apart from the rest is the UGC (user generated content) with the Foundry. It seemed to work well for TSO and I think the fans of the fantasy genre are a much bigger audience than Star Trek fans. That is Cryptic's innovation contribution to the MMO market and one that I hope will be a huge success as it changes everything about the future of gaming. Allowing the players to add to the game world is a huge step forward and I'm glad they brought it to the D&D market (since that is one of the best parts of D&D).

GW2 graphics with Tera's combat and a tool to created UGC is a big win to me. I think NWO come pretty close to having those covered. We just need random events!

See how WoW was left out of most of this conversation? That's because this game reminds me nothing of WoW.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Nothing like GW2- I can see the paralells to TERA- but I don't see any GW2 in this game... and thank goodness for that- talk about disappointing mmo of the decade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    toxicchemicalstoxicchemicals Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 61
    edited February 2013
    wow is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and neverwinter is not <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    knightofvirtueknightofvirtue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What I've seen, it seems to have taken things from D3, GW2, Tera, and more classic games like WoW. Just note, that even if some of these games ended up not being the best, some of the systems they introduced to the market had a lot of potential if done right. So bad game != bad systems.
  • Options
    valkyriechosenvalkyriechosen Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2013
    I like GW2 for what it is. It has a lot of innovation, and a solid dungeon experience (though many people find the dungeons excessively difficult/grindy). The PvP system is also very well done, particularly the World vs World. The first dungeon I saw in a stream for Neverwinter looked extremely easy. Perhaps they were good players, but in a party with 3 tanks, a healer, and a rogue in sub-par gear, they managed to steamroll the dungeon seemingly effortlessly, and bosses died very quickly. If a boss can die that quickly, it should dish out enough damage to kill quickly as well. I don't know if the dungeon design in NWO is a good as Guild Wars 2, since I haven't had a chance to play through them yet, but I do hope they are more difficult than what I have seen, and offer tricks/traps (of deadly strength) like a traditional D&D dungeon. I haven't touched warcraft since the good old days when it was just an RTS game, so I can't comment on it other than I have no interest in it.

I feel that Neverwinter is an evolution of STO, particularly after they brought in the Season 4 combat upgrade, which introduced active combat with the reticle, and much more fluid control. And the Foundry in STO is a beta test for Neverwinter, which I figured since its inception. In terms of vanity, it seems to be the weakest of the Cryptic games I know about. I say seems to be, because I haven't seen enough to judge, but from the look of it you're stuck with whatever armour you find, and the only real options for customization involve body type/facial sliders. I really hope I'm wrong there.

My biggest hope lies in a foundry with far superior options to what we had in STO, to be able to tailor make content. Even if Cryptic never puts out another dungeon beyond the game's initial release (which I don't believe will happen) , at least proper control of spawns, traps, and the other level design elements will allow players to make fun/challenging content.
  • Options
    jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I noticed they even stole Everquest 2's UI Customization feature.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Why are you comparing it to either one?

Cryptic always takes a unique approach to character customization and combat compared to other online games. One that most other MMOs can't compete with, to be honest. Neither GW 2 or WoW come close to the customization and combat of Champions.

So, this is DND + every MMO Cryptic has made, seeing as how Neverwinter is using the same proprietary technology.

Well, I don't know exactly about all of this. Cryptics "Unique" Customization has been seen in a dozen other mmo's... recent ones included. The thing about Super hero mmos is that customization is their only gimmick. If you can't customize, no one wants to play.

Also, I don't want this to be DND + every other mmo cryptic has made. Thats upsetting news for someone whos looking for something new.

Ah, but theres a point sir. This is not a Copy this copy that arguementation. What is being done here is analyzing simillar game properties (properties that I did not like in both WoW and GW2) and posing the question, "Does NO have these same properties that I dislike in previous mmos? Is this just another MMO, or are we finally getting something new?" So don't feel tired by a mere posed question.

I hear you, what I meant was... WoW didn't rip from everquest as much as you think- in a negative way. WoW took all the great things about everquest and did away with them.. it did more than just dumb down... it completely erased the things I loved about EQ- the difficulty, the longevity... the slow progression. The death punishment, too. So I didn't mean to say WoW was original. I mean, it was an mmo after all and not the first one at that. Its bound to be unoriginal in many ways.
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, what do you think?
    They copied much from Guild Wars 2, obviously... and slapped the brand GW2 put on their game onto this one, and the cartoony look is more than like WoW.

What do you think, is this the DnD experience you know and love, or is it GW2 done differently?

I'm no fan of GW2 or WoW, and I love DnD and I wanted something different, you see... but I feel like I'm just getting more of the same!

No + no = ?

Its not GW2 and its not WoW. It is D&D. Its a different take than DDO. The only way to get a feel is to try it yourself. I found it very fun.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Until something completely new is made like a cybernetic virtual reality mmo :) anything that has or will come out as a mmo can be said to just be copy of something that came before it. Depending on how you spin it.
  • Options
    startuxstartux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 49
    edited February 2013
    Well, what do you think?

I see Gw2 is becoming the next WoW, its hardly innovative, but what it did do was to take the good parts of many other MMO's including a great deal from Warhammer Online and combine it very well into a single game. Unfortunately I got bored with it by level 20 :).
  • Options
    magicelzomagicelzo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Looking at the Neverwinter gameplay videos, this looks more like a mixture of TERA and GW2 with a hint of WoW.
    I'll be honest and say that I think that each of these 3 games is probably better than NW.
    Tera has probably the better action combat, GW2 the better quests/story and WoW simply way more content.
    But as Cyptic's budget wouldn't be as near as big as the GW2 and WOW ones (even TERA probably had a bigger budget), it would be really unfair to compare these directly (especially with GW2 and WoW).
    What they do have is the Forgotten Realms setting and if done well, I'm all in! :)
    That is actually the main reason why I don't play TERA. The whole TERA univesre looks so bad, I don't want to even try it for free.
    I gave GW2 a chance, but again while the story was great and the quests fun, I simply never warmed up with the whole GW universeand stopped playing it fast..
    I do like the Warcraft Universe a lot though, but WoW has just gone boring for now. :)

I'm okay to accept a few downsides for a D&D game as long as they are minor.
    All I want this game to be fun and hopefully it will keep evolving to something great.
  • Options
    runamonkrunamonk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Exactly. When we played EQ and leveled up, you knew you had earned it. You spent a lot of time and effort getting that character leveled up and putting gear on it. Now you die in game and there is no consequences for it. There was nothing like dying in EQ and losing the level you just got. All those spells memmed are gone!

I don't have time to play that game again but dammit I want that feeling back. I want that excitement back! I want to complete a quest and get excited about it. Doing my first monk epic was truly epic!

So far I haven't felt anything epic in any game since. Unless you count playing Dead Space in the dark, at night, and almost peeing my pants haha.
    bobcat1313 wrote: »
    I agree 100%! about WoW being a little dumbed down. WoW was still a wonderful game, was talking to my brother last night he was asking how did you level up 6 characters before I maxed one. I was like if you played EQ1 you would understand mmo's and wow was soo dumbed down it was insane. You had to write down your quest in EQ atleast when I played, made my own maps was wonderful, but now having kids and no time WoW was the perfect game for me. (we no longer play it, but still talk about it)

I never played GW2, someone said there was a dye system there was a dye system in EQ1 also, but I'm sure EQ used stuff from UO. I never really understood this whole clone thing. I like EQ, EQ2, WoW, SWG, and SWTOR(till server merge) and hoping I like NWO I think all of them there own game. Is WoW and GW2 both tab and lock games? I know WoW is. I might be wrong about GW2. Tera really the only game I know of that is like NWO on combat. I'm sure there is more and I might be wrong about GW2, I played GW1 for like two days.

Anyway not sure what I'm really getting at... maybe I will look at NWO as NWO. Well unless doing quest I run into Thrall, or Antonia Bayle.
  • Options
    catburger003catburger003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think this game bears more resemblance to Kingdoms Of Amalur, from combat to art style (little bit tho, the humans on that game looks identical)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want to HAMSTER in Neverwinter, whenever I want, for as long as I want.
  • Options
    ultimusmagusultimusmagus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 87
    edited February 2013

Yup, and EQ took was was appealing (in the sense that it was easier to implement at the time) from many obscure but good MMOs that came before, some even emulating the D20 system (Rubies of Eventide comes to mind). Good times.
  • Options
    vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I say it is more like GW2 + Skrim = NW !
  • Options
    kubasereecokubasereeco Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Blimey. Not every game can consist of 100% unique and new features. If something good is introduced by a game it becomes the standard, and other games use it. This is how things evolve. The poster above saying that NWO copied EQ2's UI customisation feature? I hope that was sarcasm. They only way they couldn't copy it is by not having a UI customisation feature, which would suck.

Good things are good, bad things are bad. It doesn't matter where they originated.