test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF Threat Issues: Sentinel Paragon Feats

elspethtirelnwelspethtirelnw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2013 in PvE Discussion
I've mentioned this in some other threads, but it amazes me that there is no discussion about how broken the current situation with GWF threat generation is. The following Sentinel feats seem to have virtually no benefit at this time. This almost feels as if it is a bug as opposed to a simple balancing issue.

Grudge Style (5 points invested)
Sure Strike has an extra 5% crit chance and generates 25% additional threat on crits.

- This sounds great but either too little threat is generated or it is not working. I've had no noticable success peeling single targets off of players in dungeons at lvl 60, even with a stream of successive critical hits. Please increase the threat generated by this feat or Sure Strike, so that it is useful.

Intimidation (5 points invested)
Daring Shout and Come and Get It generate 25% additional threat and now do 5% of your Power as damage.

- Daring Shout and Come and Get it are not known for generating significant threat on their own. It seems that the 25% increase of threat is also negligible in this case. Pulling targets in with Come and Get It and following with Daring Shout does not seem to do any good. Even if the GWF is the first one into a fight, this combo will not hold threat as soon as another party member uses an ability. The damage of this feat is not as important although the associated threat benefit seems to be ineffective.

On that note, using Come and Get It and then Daring Shout, while following up with a bunch of crits from Sure Strike, is still not enough to peel a single target during a fight. Something is just not working as intended here or Sentinels were never meant to pull threat, but the tooltips would indicate otherwise.

I hope that the developers are aware of this issue and working to properly balance the threat generation of the GWF's Sentinel feats and abilities. The lack of developer feedback concerning GWF issues in general is a bit concerning. The current situation with Sentinel threat, however, is a serious design flaw that needs to be addressed or the path will be virtually worthless in lvl 60 dungeons.
| Banners of the Light | Recruitment is open | End Game PvE and PvP |
| Lust | Level 60 Guardian Fighter 15.8k GS|
Post edited by elspethtirelnw on

Comments

• freehugs9freehugs9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Probably there's not enough people tanking with their Great Weapon Fighters to make a fuss, but the issue is very obvious.
    GWF's can't have extra threat built in because they need to be able to DPS without pulling agro, but you can't stack defensive stats without reducing your DPS and thus your threat.
    If the class is to be a serious tank it needs a feat or optional passive that increases threat based on your defensive stats so that stacking increasingly defensive gear improves your threat at least as much as if you'd stacked DPS gear.

The Guardian Fighter will have the same issue eventually (as do most tank classes in MMO's I've played). As tanks gear up they will get tougher but fall further and further behind in damage and their percentage threat boosts don't keep up. The developers then go and increase the % threat boosts but that just delays the problem at the end game and makes low level tanking too easy.
    Basing threat on the defensive stats of tank gear is the obvious solution.
  • saviorgunsaviorgun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think people should just try things out more before saying things are broken or not right. Maybe there was a mistake in how you played it.
    Rhek-60 GWF <Folklore>. "Rheking" damage meters since launch. Follow my streamwww.mmominds.com
  • elspethtirelnwelspethtirelnw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    saviorgun wrote: »
    I think people should just try things out more before saying things are broken or not right. Maybe there was a mistake in how you played it.

Or just maybe, I spent a good deal of time testing the utility of the GWF's threat mechanics... I have a feeling that very few people bothered with that. The severity of the issue is debatable but it is a serious one. Making assumptions about how someone else played a class is a terrible way to approach balancing.

Did you have great success generating threat with the Sentinel build on your Great Weapon Fighter? I have a sneaking suspicion that your comment isn't based on experience. If it is, please do share in detail.

I'm simply trying to bring to light what I feel is a serious problem that will have a negative impact on one of the GWF's paragon feat paths. I don't expect to have equal threat generation to a GF, but enough to properly make use of one the GWF's possible roles as a backup tank. I think that's at least reasonable.

If I'm entirely incorrect in my assertion, I'd be happy to hear it from a developer so that I can focus on a DPS build instead. Until then, I will do my best to provide feedback based on my own experiences.
  • silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited April 2013
    Or just maybe, I spent a good deal of time testing the utility of the GWF's threat mechanics... I have a feeling that very few people bothered with that. The severity of the issue is debatable but it is a serious one. Making assumptions about how someone else played a class is a terrible way to approach balancing.

Did you have great success generating threat with the Sentinel build on your Great Weapon Fighter? I have a sneaking suspicion that your comment isn't based on experience. If it is, please do share in detail.

I'm simply trying to bring to light what I feel is a serious problem that will have a negative impact on one of the GWF's paragon feat paths. I don't expect to have equal threat generation to a GF, but enough to properly make use of one the GWF's possible roles as a backup tank. I think that's at least reasonable.

If I'm entirely incorrect in my assertion, I'd be happy to hear it from a developer so that I can focus on a DPS build instead. Until then, I will do my best to provide feedback based on my own experiences.

I'd tend to agree with elspethtirelnw, the threat did seem broken. I played with my friend a sentinel briefly in a group dungeon, and even he thought it was wonky. I'm hoping they get it fixed before open beta. I would like to see GWF be able to play Defender or Striker, even if I prefer the Striker dps role.
  • silverasilvera Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @ elspe, Do you struggle to hold the aggro , or peeling a mob ?
  • rawnzimmrawnzimm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have noticed issues with both for me but then again this is before the paragon paths. I played upto lvl 30 and was unable to pull mobs from CW or TR friends. Though my pulling mobs off my companion seemed to work quite easily. My CW friend could pull mobs off me sometimes just because of the shear dmg he was pushing out it seemed. But I would be unable to pull it back, regardless of who hit the mob first.
  • dshearndshearn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have had group members pull aggro off of my GF....the game would be broken if their was no threat of death for the rest of the group....

GWF need a clickable AOE taunt. They have the defensive skills and passive threat skills ( that appear to not work)....but that is not enough.... they NEED a clickable AOE taunt.

I like the way the game is built, with the limited amount of clickables, and we have to choose what to level up and use as our skill set..... the fact that the GWF would have to drop a DPS or a Utility skill to add a taunt should be balancing enough. But they need to be able to CHOOSE when they produce aggro.
  • elspethtirelnwelspethtirelnw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    silvera wrote: »
    @ elspe, Do you struggle to hold the aggro , or peeling a mob ?

Holding aggro on anything with a decent amount of HP can often be an issue, but peeling a target is very much an uphill battle. I've had much more failure than success in that regard. Peeling a target off of a rogue seemed more manageable if I recall correctly, but it was a serious issue with CWs and DCs. I'll also mention that I never fought the GF for threat, it was always to pick up adds that went for the other three classes. There may be other issues causing aggro to reset as well, although that's something I can't confirm without further testing.

This is likely an issue that can be resolved with some tweaking. :p

I'll also add that I had a GF at 35, which I only grouped as, during BW2. I didn't experience the slightest issue in managing threat or peeling single targets at the time. I don't feel that GWF needs a clickable AOE taunt like the GF, that would be just too easy. I think Cryptic had the right idea with the threat based Sentinel feats, but fell just a bit short of their goal.

If they did ever give us a taunt (as dshearn described), I would prefer a single target one with a high cooldown. This would allow the GF to keep doing his job without interference and give the GWF a chance to peel adds from soft targets. However, this isn't really what I want. It's up to the developers to decide, if they even see this as an issue.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I look forward to seeing more. :o
  • dshearndshearn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Holding aggro on anything with a decent amount of HP can often be an issue, but peeling a target is very much an uphill battle. I've had much more failure than success in that regard. Peeling a target off of a rogue seemed more manageable if I recall correctly, but it was a serious issue with CWs and DCs. I'll also mention that I never fought the GF for threat, it was always to pick up adds that went for the other three classes. There may be other issues causing aggro to reset as well, although that's something I can't confirm without further testing.

This is likely an issue that can be resolved with some tweaking. :p

I'll also add that I had a GF at 35, which I only grouped as, during BW2. I didn't experience the slightest issue in managing threat or peeling single targets at the time. I don't feel that GWF needs a clickable AOE taunt like the GF, that would be just too easy. I think Cryptic had the right idea with the threat based Sentinel feats, but fell just a bit short of their goal.

If they did ever give us a taunt (as dshearn described), I would prefer a single target one with a high cooldown. This would allow the GF to keep doing his job without interference and give the GWF a chance to peel adds from soft targets. However, this isn't really what I want. It's up to the developers to decide, if they even see this as an issue.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I look forward to seeing more. :o

I don't think the GF is in any fear of loosing the Boss tank role because of the shield.

An off tank that cant save the cleric/mage/ranger (whatever) from getting swarmed by a gaggle of adds cant do his job.

a good dps class that functions as an off tank with get out of hell taunt would be a good team mate
    edited April 2013
    dshearn wrote: »
    I don't think the GF is in any fear of loosing the Boss tank role because of the shield.

An off tank that cant save the cleric/mage/ranger (whatever) from getting swarmed by a gaggle of adds cant do his job.

a good dps class that functions as an off tank with get out of hell taunt would be a good team mate

What you say is true, although I doubt they'll go as far as giving us a new ability at this point. I'd rather address the current abilities as tweaking them is more reasonable in the short term. I'd just be happy with improved threat from the feats, so that the described abilities can get the job done more reliably.

The current abilities, in theory, could still allow the GWF to sweep up packs of adds with ease. Come and Get It when followed by Daring Shout should be a great combo if the threat generation is tuned properly. I think that DPS should still be accountable for their actions, but this should work if they are not aggressively engaging the pack. I hope that Cryptic can still find a decent balance in how threat is managed.
    edited April 2013
    Since this topic will likely die off, I'll bring this issue up again at lvl 60 if it has not been resolved in Open Beta.
  • embermouthembermouth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I hope this gets resolved, really dont want a broken character. Especially if I choose to go this route.
    edited April 2013
    This still seems to be an issue in the current build of the game. There is something off with GWF threat generation and I'm not sure if it's due to the damage gap or low threat generation. At least we can still take a hit I guess. :(
  • kartofflenkartofflen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    Elspe the build im running currently while not specced for threat specifically the sheer AOE damage it put's out tends to attract all kinds of threat. Maybe we could talk see if i could help you out?
    edited April 2013
    I doubt you could, this is based on lv 50-60 information. Can you peel targets? I'm not talking about just spamming AOE to grab stragglers.

Besides - that still would not resolve the threat issues associated with the feats.
  • kartofflenkartofflen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    Feats no but I do hold aggro and peel yes. Depends on CD's for the most part though and the amount of critters in the area. Though if your not open to talk thats ok.
    edited April 2013
    Check back again at 60 please. ;) I'm seriously more concerned with the viability of the Sentinel feats.
    edited April 2013
    Shouldnt take terribly long don't get me wrong I went destroyer path as I have no inclination to off tank, just seems the threat is a side effect of the amount of damage I put out in an AOE area. I do think i've figured out the viable DPS spec I seem to be scoring top in all the level 40 stuff so far.
    edited April 2013
    It does indeed seem that there has been a slight re-work to melee threat generation, in that it seems to be more viable or likely to pull threat if you are ahead in damage. The issue here is, it is not a viable option in a more defensively focused paragon feat path.

The abilities that were designed, or rather put in place, to function as tanking abilities are not generating the threat needed to fulfill the role. I'm sure that your build is viable for aoe dps, although the threat may only be a temporary side effect. Again, I'm concerned directly with the feats and the Sentinel paragon path.
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    While this is slightly from a different perspective (Cleric) I feel GWF and GF both need higher threat at the moment, I am constantly covered in adds at the moment in the dungeons since 40+ I feel like I as a cleric have to stack a huge amount of defensive gear so that I can tank the vast majority of adds through out every dungeon since 40 and above.

It's fantastic when you get some dps that have figured out the main thing of the game (kill adds as priority) but the vast majority of the time I am stuck with 4+ adds on me.

Another issue is I feel both GF and GWF seem so squishy with a few mobs on them and a boss, so in boss encounters when a huge amount of elites spawn, the tank can pick it up but the clerics cannot heal them up and when you do start to heal them up you pull a huge amount of threat onto yourself and get killed. *brain hurts*

I hope they soon sort out agro they seam to have been struggling with it since Beta weekend 3, and cannot get it right across the level ranges, for all our sakes!

Edit:
    Also as a cleric I am running with 40% reduced threat, it hardly makes a difference when your pulling the same healing as players damage, while doing your own damage... I was doing 2.3mil healing and 900k damage by the end of a dungeon and the vast majority of the time I am running around in circles with mobs trying to skin my bottom!
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • andycappzandycappz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Any updates on this? It has been a couple of days and I was curious. I am level 53 on my GWF and have figured out the AOE damage build pretty well but I have not grouped up much and I understand that threat is a big problem right now for everyone. When I start doing dungeons at 60 I intend on doing a respec to make myself a viable off tank to grab all the adds that spawn since the GF is not able to grab adds.

Also can we get some links for the Sentinel spec and what rotation you guys are using etc... If we don't want a bunch of worthless GWF at endgame it is prudent to share best practices and work together as a community :-)
    edited April 2013
    I'm still testing things further at 60, although I will say that Sure Strike does allow you to peel targets from time to time during epics while using the feat. It's still not reliable when you're cleric is running away from adds, but can work at times on stationary targets. It could use some work still.

The best option right now is to dive into packs ASAP and spam WMS, which is rather reliable at grabbing initial threat for a short duration of time. It's still far from ideal in any situation where you need to peel mobs from a softer target. The threat based feats themselves still need to be looked at, as well as GWF threat generation in regards to Sentinel builds. It's playable and a good GWF can still be a semi-useful off-tank, but threat can still be a mess for the class.

I may post a build at a later date, although I'm more concerned with the threat based feats and how effective they are at this time.
    edited May 2013
    Any other Sentinels out there that are concerned about this? :o I'm not concerned with comments from DPS builds.

It's a shame really, because we would make great off tanks if the path could simply generate threat as the tree would lead one to believe. I only hope the devs understand that this is the primary issue with the path and that it will eventually be fixed. It would be nice to have some official word on this, although I fully understand that there are more serious issues to resolve at this very moment.

I simply hope that us Sentinels, the few of GWFs, are not forgotten.
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure most GWFs don't care, but I'm giving this a bump in the slim hope that this may one day come to the attention of the developers responsible for combat design and balancing...
  • nightsiren0410nightsiren0410 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have tried sentinel,really hard to build threat.I have 25%+ cri chance,and that +25% threat not work.

PS:I'm tested in lvl60 epic dungeon.
  • woundedbuffalowoundedbuffalo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agree with everything in the post so far. Respecced to Sentinel to try it out in 8300 epics today(GS around 8800). I was let down by how broken the aggro system was. I was looking forward to the versatility of the gwf when it came to choosing a play style but I found myself regretting burning one of my respecs as just running the fotm slam builds out there would have been more beneficial to the group in terms of clearing speed. I used the synergies between feats and skills as prescribed in tooltips without much success in holding aggro. The spec has potential if it works as some of us more tankily inclined gwf's envision it, but as is it's pretty unrewarding. This is especially true in (most)boss fights where there is wave after wave after wave after wave after continuous wave of adds where the "tanks" are expected to corral the masses with single target crits and one aoe shout on a 15~ second cool down(see Rokuthy's post from earlier today for an in depth and totally warranted rant on these mechanics from a gf's pov). This has me concerned, as the cleric becomes the kiting healing tank in essence. Its a slippery slope for both pve and pvp balance but That's discussion for another time. Hopefully this and other game breaking issues will be addressed in the near future before the devs focus on expanding other aspects of the game such as additional classes races and specs. I'm hopeful, and with all of the issues the game and gwf class are still very enjoyable. Were in beta after all.
  • terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sure Strike threat seems to be working fine for me at 60 when it comes to peeling off some odd wandering tough mob, pulling agro off a cleric with Sure Strike can be rather challenging still, that's with 36% crit stacking up to 46% crit with weapon master (so over 50% crit chance with sure strike in combat, yes, all in sentinel). Haven't bothered to use come and get it or daring shout really, Indomitable Battle Strike is too good and Mighty Leap seems to be better at generating initial threat (while dealing damage).

The main issue I think is that our at-will are a bit behind, if you get initial agro, take damage and pop unstoppable, then the attack speed buff will help you hold that threat and things are fine. If you find yourself with no determination stacked and adds are chasing the cleric - GL.
  • alecstormalecstorm Member Posts: 142 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    GWF should have different way to build threat. They don't need sustained threat, because they should not be the main tank and they just need to save casters. Example: If you give them a skill that help them being the 2nd in threat this could work, but how do they know if they are doing right? They can't till the GF lose aggro. And you do nothing, because you'r the 2nd in aggro so you would simply be aggroed.
    If a mob run and try to catch a cleric (and here's the real problem) off tanks should be able to run and catch. So maybe a skill that let GWF charge and taunt for some seconds, or that let him charghe and build fast threat in few seconds to continue having mob attention. Or some sort of CC to let the cleric go away.
  • guktergukter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I enjoy my GWF and I plan to play him well, what ever my friends need. But what I've read on the forums in general, is that it seems that the +threat feats don't seem to really do anything, for GF -or- GWF. Any word on this or possible test numbers? I'm way too low to test myself and the "promised to wait for the slow people" holds me down also.
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the great feedback guys. It's nice to hear from other players that have invested some time into the Sentinel path.

I'll also add that it feels like Sure Strike was toned down just a bit too much. It seems like it could be of better use to a Sentinel if it hit a bit harder. However, it's near impossible to tell with the current threat situation.
This discussion has been closed.