test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Healing threat

barofskibarofski Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 24 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I don't understand this mechanic... I have my 6% threat reduction with 20% sooth and I just toss 1 astral seal and pull agro off of every single thing during a boss fight! I get it if "big" heals draw agro, sure that makes sense but... if thats a big heal, what the heck is going on!?
trixx-signature_zps863bb989.jpg
Post edited by barofski on

Comments

• Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Unless someone else actively hits the thing they have zero threat. The second you heal something you have more than zero threat on everything in the room.

You are going to have to either accept that as a cleric you WILL be tanking adds constantly or pick a different class. I know a lot of people are not happy with that situation but it's just the way it is. Some of the later dungeons have over 10 adds out at a single time on boss fights and there just isn't a way for someone else to have aggro on everything in the room. You will actually get most of it most of the time.
  • Options
    barofskibarofski Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well of course if I'm the 1st one bombing in with a heal, but I gave waaaay enough time for anyone else to do anything. CW did the black hole cc, guardian went in AOE smacking everything, Rogue aoe, GWF doing his best to hold agro. This was on the Mad dragon Baelfire the Vile boss. As soon as I step onto the platform, - NOT DOING ANYTHING - I had agro on imps that were at half health.

Explain that one to me.

** My regeneration tick pulled agro **
  • Options
    someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Get a friendly GWF; I end up tanking half the mobs in large packs anyways, that plus slam keeps them slowed well enough to kite.

<3
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I had a GWF spamming slam - HE was alive in that fight for over 1min ALONE!!! I came back and regen tick pulled agro...

-- also those imps move like 300% speed slow doesn't do anything if they hit me for 2k(x5) when I stop to cast a heal.
  • Options
    losbin68losbin68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 79
    edited May 2013
    threat is nonexistent in this game.
  • Options
    losbin68losbin68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 79
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »
    Get a friendly GWF; I end up tanking half the mobs in large packs anyways, that plus slam keeps them slowed well enough to kite.

<3

you are clueless
  • Options
    elspethtirelnwelspethtirelnw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic needs to address threat issues in general. GWF Sentinel tree is a joke right now thanks to these problems, and everything points at it being the threat based off-tank spec.

Please stop making excuses for poor mechanics people, so that Cryptic realizes that this is an issue and can create more enjoyable and even challenging encounters in the future.
    | Banners of the Light | Recruitment is open | End Game PvE and PvP |
    | Lust | Level 60 Guardian Fighter 15.8k GS|
  • Options
    oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    Healing threat is over the top. In PUG's, most hard boss fights go like this:

- Every add comes to me. DPS can't peel them
    - I die a few times, until I can't be rezzed
    - I watch from the campfire as the group kills the boss, using pots and NPC's to heal

I assume things may change at 50, with Astral Shield. I hope so.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    no.png

AS helps a little but when YOU become the main tank... in epic tier stuff. It kind of sucks :-x
  • Options
    syto514syto514 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, heal aggro is a problem. It is seriously not in line with other classes dps aggro (as I can hold aggro against DPS just fine). It definitely needs some tweaks, but more or less I think clerics were meant to kite some of the adds around. This is supposed to be an action oriented RPG, and somehow standing around healing non-stop doesn't seem to fit that description to me.
  • Options
    elspethtirelnwelspethtirelnw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's much more than a simple problem with Cleric threat. I think it will be some time before people start to come to this realization however.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oh I agree - I run around like a madman, the problem is when there is no where to run because
    A) things are faster then you
    B) you have to stop to cast something ( if you have the divine power sure its instant, but how can u regen DP if you cant stop to hit the mob? )

Well it might just be IMPs that are really annoying to deal with but I don't know.
  • Options
    difinitusdifinitus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a couple suggestions for you:

1. Start building more defense. Unspecifiederror has a great guide on being a Healer/OT
    2. Get a regular group to run with, or educate your DPS that adds should always be the priority in boss fights.
    3. Stick close to your tank. I use the Crit/Rec build with Astral Shield and Forgemaster's Flame which keeps me alive, and allows my tank to draw aggro (most of the time) from adds.
  • Options
    mordrindmordrind Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It isn't just heal agro. The tanking abilities/setup in this game leave a ton to be desired even for the guardian fighter. The base damage the class does makes it nearly impossible to keep threat even with all threat talents and with aoe threat generators. On bosses it usually goes alright as long as you start strong but building back up from a deficit is very difficult. The snap agro abilities only last a short duration then the boss will wander back to whatever it was doing.

It is frustrating to not be able to keep threat over the healer and in some cases dps that gets overzealous. Survive-ability is great - threat is a real problem. I would not like it to be easy but I would like Mark or additional tools to feel like they are making a difference.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    difinitus wrote: »

1. Start building more defense. Unspecifiederror has a great guide on being a Healer/OT

Frankly, that should not be a spec Clerics get forced into. This is the cope mentality; when in fact, getting threat sorted out for group combat should have been done before OB. Honestly, the mechanic (while it has workarounds) is not well thought out.

I understand the mechanics of "if there is zero threat, a mob spawns and you get a tick on an HoT, you're the threat".

I really do.

What's not understandable is that, for every MMO with group-focused content, this has not been a problem. And the fact that this has gone uncorrected since BWE3 is simply unacceptable.

The white knights will roll on in and talk about how it's not broken, have your tank learn his class, etc. But any system that has Cleric on eternally threat level 10 on fresh adds is just... broken.

I'm trying to think of the most broken MMO I played for group dynamics at launch. I'd have to say it was probably Vanilla WOW, but AoC comes in a close second. And they had handled this issue by launch.

I get that it is an action MMO. I get that this action MMO doesn't require a dedicated healer. I get the role of a debuffer, I've played a number of these (and actually prefer that role to watching green bars). I just haven't seen threat this poorly thought out before.

I'm not calling the devs "stupid" or nerd-raging here. But the feedback was present WAY before OB, and it's pretty evident with a single group play through what the basic issue is. It needs to be addressed fairly quickly so that GWs become needed, Clerics don't have to spec off-tank feats and the system is fun, not punishing.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    healing threat can cause you to not be able to loot bonus chests at the end of skirmishes and dungeons. just happened to me in the pirates one with the dragon. dragon died, invisible adds under ground. the other 4 party members able to loot chest but i was not because the invisible add was attacking me. nobody could see it, so i was screwed out of the bonus.

killing myself and running back was not an option, because the way is blocked by an impassable fire and teh circle taht sent you there stops working after the dragon dies.

i had reservations about giving cryptic money. i should have followed those instincts.
  • Options
    lawionslawions Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So far up to level 35 I can take all the aggro of the big things as a guardian fighter (that is after reading the forums, and understanding that this is a game of its own and not a ****ing copy of WoW mechanics, which many people ingame don't even consider). Everything else that's left is what gets killed first anyway, so it's left for the control wizard to take care of and whichever damage dealer there is. So if everyone does a great job:

Tank: tanking big guys
    Control Wizard: Controlling small stuff
    DPS: Help out Control wizard, then the tank

with some room for spreading.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Frankly, that should not be a spec Clerics get forced into. This is the cope mentality; when in fact, getting threat sorted out for group combat should have been done before OB. Honestly, the mechanic (while it has workarounds) is not well thought out.

I understand the mechanics of "if there is zero threat, a mob spawns and you get a tick on an HoT, you're the threat".

I really do.

What's not understandable is that, for every MMO with group-focused content, this has not been a problem. And the fact that this has gone uncorrected since BWE3 is simply unacceptable.

The white knights will roll on in and talk about how it's not broken, have your tank learn his class, etc. But any system that has Cleric on eternally threat level 10 on fresh adds is just... broken.

I'm trying to think of the most broken MMO I played for group dynamics at launch. I'd have to say it was probably Vanilla WOW, but AoC comes in a close second. And they had handled this issue by launch.

I get that it is an action MMO. I get that this action MMO doesn't require a dedicated healer. I get the role of a debuffer, I've played a number of these (and actually prefer that role to watching green bars). I just haven't seen threat this poorly thought out before.

I'm not calling the devs "stupid" or nerd-raging here. But the feedback was present WAY before OB, and it's pretty evident with a single group play through what the basic issue is. It needs to be addressed fairly quickly so that GWs become needed, Clerics don't have to spec off-tank feats and the system is fun, not punishing.

in other games that add this many add spawns during encounters and work with a holy trinity system, they have given tanks a 'guard' mechanics that can be tossed on someone to take most of their threat. this game needs this given to guardian fighters.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lawions wrote: »
    So far up to level 35 I can take all the aggro of the big things as a guardian fighter (that is after reading the forums, and understanding that this is a game of its own and not a ****ing copy of WoW mechanics, which many people ingame don't even consider). Everything else that's left is what gets killed first anyway, so it's left for the control wizard to take care of and whichever damage dealer there is. So if everyone does a great job:

Tank: tanking big guys
    Control Wizard: Controlling small stuff
    DPS: Help out Control wizard, then the tank

with some room for spreading.

lol 35. you haventeven done the grey den or the dragon skirmish at 40 yet. you are still in the kindergarten of instances.
  • Options
    lawionslawions Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    lol 35. you haventeven done the grey den or the dragon skirmish at 40 yet. you are still in the kindergarten of instances.

Why don't you add something productive?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lawions wrote: »
    Why don't you add something productive?

productive how? by regurgitating what has already been stated? the dungeons before the grey den and pirates are nothing. speed bumps. do them and then tell me how well you are holding threat off of a cleric, then watch with the cleric as a duo of rogues solo's it for the group.
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Healing threat is fairly crazy, at the moment just finished Epic Lair of the mad dragon(60), to deal with the constant imp spawn I had a GWF glued to me with the sole task of AOE'ing the imps off me!

I do think that threat is not where it should be just yet but there are ways around it, it does however mean you need players with the correct mentality and not the mentality of having to be top DPS. I did record this video as well, but it will take me two hours to render it and an hour or two to upload it to youtube.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    i'm tempted to reroll gwf so i can be the guy that's keeping clerics alive. provided the group ends up with one. we are becoming quite scarce as players get sick of the issues.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    i'm tempted to reroll gwf so i can be the guy that's keeping clerics alive. provided the group ends up with one. we are becoming quite scarce as players get sick of the issues.

The problem is still that you'll wind up playing an AOE DPS specced GWF to get that job done, not the tankier Sentinel tree with all the threat generation feats. Threat is not an isolated Cleric issue, even if you try to cope with the current situation.

The threat issues need to be examined in respect to all classes so that players have more viable options in regards to class utility.
  • Options
    airlianairlian Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    difinitus wrote: »

2. Get a regular group to run with, or educate your DPS that adds should always be the priority in boss fights.
    3. Stick close to your tank. I use the Crit/Rec build with Astral Shield and Forgemaster's Flame which keeps me alive, and allows my tank to draw aggro (most of the time) from adds.

That's great and sound, yet it doesn't address the issue that the Cleric shouldn't get as much aggro as it does now.
  • Options
    wappzizwappziz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont have problem with agro (lvl 42 so far). As soon the dps hit the mobs, they are off me (with the -40% agro passive skill).

Since none have mentioned it: Do you remember to pull the passive skill down on you bar, so it become "active" ?
    You can only have 2 passive skills "active" at the same time.

Ex: the guide here dont have Sooth "active" - so no reduced agro
    link: The-Devoted-Cleric-Guide-to-Healing (picture halfway down)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah it's slotted, just doesn't work is all XD
  • Options
    judgebanksloljudgebankslol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    syto514 wrote: »
    Yes, heal aggro is a problem. It is seriously not in line with other classes dps aggro (as I can hold aggro against DPS just fine). It definitely needs some tweaks, but more or less I think clerics were meant to kite some of the adds around. This is supposed to be an action oriented RPG, and somehow standing around healing non-stop doesn't seem to fit that description to me.

You realize you just described the "action" in "A"RPG as running around in circles, right? So pretty much any game in which you run around in circles can be considered an Action RPG. By this definition this makes Vanilla WoW a MMO"A"RPG.

You probably think 4ed D&D is a good RPG.
  • Options
    wormgaswormgas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    I cleared my first dungeon last night and the only moments when I got threat were freshly-spawned adds during boss fights.
    That's a fact!
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »
    Get a friendly GWF

Pretty much. I have a video in my cleric build thread, you can watch the adds melt and/or run to our GWF. He also leads damage on every dungeon pretty much lol