test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

great weapon fighter

dannyw22dannyw22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
dunno if its just me but Ive played this class in 3rd and 4th beta and now in open beta, they still lack dps but take huge amounts of dmg. they really need a dmg buff, the crappy minions are killing me even if I get like 4 on me they take a lot of my health, at one point I had to buy a cleric healer with gold because I couldn't kill a boss he did so much dmg to me. in pvp the gwf is useless they don't deal any dmg at all compared to the rogue and wizard, rogue burns me down I don't even deal quarter of his health and the wizard just cc's me constantly even if I did get close im pushed away and im dead.

so we lack in pve and pvp, in dungeons no matter how much I smash the mobs faces in I seem to be the lowest dps out of everyone with rogue top and wiz second.
Post edited by dannyw22 on

Comments

• Options
    mageflaremageflare Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tried to delete.
  • Options
    mageflaremageflare Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree my lvl 5 wizard is killing mobs faster then my lvl 27 great weapon, it seems the dps for the fighter has either taken a hit or is bugged. I am taking more damage then I am see other class take, as well as use tons of heath potions on basic mobs. I use my skills on CD popping my tab skill when I can as well as my healing slash just to try and stay alive. Don't get me wrong I can take on 5+ packs but I have to use my dalie jump skill to either weaken them or kill some out right if I am lucky. I really don't want to switch to my wiz, I like the up close nature of my fighter to much, granted the grind and trouble of killing either mob packs or elite/elite packs is getting to be a game killing problem. Please and I mean please fix the great weapon fighter soon so I don't quit the game, I really like the way this game is heading.
  • Options
    andycapp2012andycapp2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    At level 30 the GWF gets a lot more viable for damage. It is all about stacking the right stuff to get the damage where you want it, and using the right abilities in the right order. The GWF is a "grower not a show-er" which means that over time it gets more powerful but you have to always use the highest level items you can and really understand what makes the damage increase.

For example I pulled this from another thread and will quote it here (I forgot who originally posted it):

Fix GWF : for lvl 39 atleast
    4/5 unstoppable action (optional 5/5 if you want to sacrifice crit)
    3/3 disciple of str
    3/3 endless assault
    5/5 steely defense
    3/3 devestating critical
    2/3 weapon mastery ( can go 1/3 if you want 4/5 unstoppable)
    5/5 great weapon focus
    5/5 deep gash

Max out steel blitz and steadfast determination
    use Weapon master strike / sure strike with roar/flourish/restoring strike
    Always always use Slam its amazing

Stack power>>defense>>>crit in that order then profit and watch rogues cry.
  • Options
    dannyw22dannyw22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited April 2013
    At level 30 the GWF gets a lot more viable for damage. It is all about stacking the right stuff to get the damage where you want it, and using the right abilities in the right order. The GWF is a "grower not a show-er" which means that over time it gets more powerful but you have to always use the highest level items you can and really understand what makes the damage increase.

For example I pulled this from another thread and will quote it here (I forgot who originally posted it):

3/3 disciple of str
    3/3 endless assault
    5/5 steely defense
    3/3 devestating critical
    5/5 great weapon focus
    5/5 deep gash

wait I don't understand wots this 5/5 stuff ??? max lvl is 3 ?? am I missin somethin here ?
  • Options
    xorakx6xorakx6 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dannyw22 wrote: »
    wait I don't understand wots this 5/5 stuff ??? max lvl is 3 ?? am I missin somethin here ?

Its feats he is showing, not upgraded powers. After the list he tells you what to max out in terms of powers.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    xorakx6 wrote: »
    Its feats he is showing, not upgraded powers. After the list he tells you what to max out in terms of powers.

ohhh thanks
  • Options
    xorakx6xorakx6 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dannyw22 wrote: »
    ohhh thanks

anytime tater tot.
  • Options
    takolukatakoluka Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why not constitution focus instead of steely defense? constitution focus increases con which indirectly increases your ignore resistance. pretty sure adding that little bit of power from defense will increase barely nothing to the damage because around 200 power is +10 damage.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mageflare wrote: »
    I agree my lvl 5 wizard is killing mobs faster then my lvl 27 great weapon,

I really should check the DPS numbers to see at what level TRs or even CR do more DPS than level 30 GWFs. I don't think it is quite this bad, but you never can be certain.......
  • Options
    quickness87quickness87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mageflare wrote: »
    I agree my lvl 5 wizard is killing mobs faster then my lvl 27 great weapon

no offense, but at level 5, most enemies die within couple hits, it's hardly a fair comparison. Personally, I like my GWF, last night, before server went down, I was #1 in PvP Battle, granted, I was a little bit surprised myself, but I don't think GWF is that bad, I guess it just a personal preference.
  • Options
    m2superm2super Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am leveling a trickster rogue(TR) and a great weapon fighter (GWF), the TR burns mobs so quick while the aoe GWF does not. As the OP mentions I also seem to take a lot of damage. They should set it up so if the GWF is fighting 2+ mobs the damage is significantly increased while maintaining low single target dps. I honestly do not even like the GWF and I feel the lack of DPS is the reason.
  • Options
    daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

3/3 disciple of str
    3/3 endless assault
    5/5 steely defense
    3/3 devestating critical
    5/5 great weapon focus
    5/5 deep gash

What does defense get you? Why not Armor pen?
  • Options
    stermistermi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Till lvl16 I always need 15/20 potions in my bag or I'll die easily in dungeons. Now I've a cleric companion and it's a little easier but I sacrificed DPS to get an healer...

Also I'm questing and leveling really slow because of my low dps and big amount of damage I get.
    When I compare results with my mates on PVP or Skirmish I'm the last in DPS done and the first on damage taken.

I think that this class need some buff because there's something really broken.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    stermi wrote: »
    Till lvl16 I always need 15/20 potions in my bag or I'll die easily in dungeons. Now I've a cleric companion and it's a little easier but I sacrificed DPS to get an healer...

Also I'm questing and leveling really slow because of my low dps and big amount of damage I get.
    When I compare results with my mates on PVP or Skirmish I'm the last in DPS done and the first on damage taken.

I think that this class need some buff because there's something really broken.

What are you concentrating on with your gear? If its not power thats that problem.

Are you soloing? Sounds like it. I was playing last night with a GF and hardly took any damage. Get behind the groups, they won't hit you sprint out of the way when you see a red circle......
  • Options
    dat555dat555 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're pretty terrible if you're lvl15+ and having a hard time with gwf.. I'm lvl18 and can clear like 30 mobs at once in seconds
  • Options
    quickness87quickness87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I must be the odd ball here, I haven't encountered any diffculties, even in lower level, never died, damage is either #2 or #1,
    Hell, when it comes to damage result, when I was #2, we had a GF rank #1 while there are TR and Wiz in the group with equal or higher level.

I was never a potion abuser either, and I don't use cleric, maybe I should start leveling her up.

So I'm quiet confused about all the dislikes, sure they can use a buff here and there, but I have seen people
    saying drop the GWF from the group to don't make a GWF, etc, I feel like I'm missing something.

Which exact quest or instance do people having trouble with? Perhaps it's the playstyle?

I don't know, but either way, I'm having a blast with GWF and had no trouble or whatsoever with grouping.
    But I won't say no to some buffs either :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I must be the odd ball here, I haven't encountered any diffculties, even in lower level, never died, damage is either #2 or #1,
    Hell, when it comes to damage result, when I was #2, we had a GF rank #1 while there are TR and Wiz in the group with equal or higher level.

I was never a potion abuser either, and I don't use cleric, maybe I should start leveling her up.

So I'm quiet confused about all the dislikes, sure they can use a buff here and there, but I have seen people
    saying drop the GWF from the group to don't make a GWF, etc, I feel like I'm missing something.

Which exact quest or instance do people having trouble with? Perhaps it's the playstyle?

I don't know, but either way, I'm having a blast with GWF and had no trouble or whatsoever with grouping.

I think its a combination of playstyle and gear selection. I've had to change my play style a bit playing one. I usually liked just standing and bashing, I can't do that with the GWF. I like going for the bosses, I don't do that with the GWF, at least not until I'm done with the adds.

I haven't been in any dungeons yet this go round but I did in BW3. A Rogue may out damage me but he won't beat me in total kills.......

Also solo or with a group makes a big difference too.

Gear seems to make a big difference I'm finding. I was concentrating on stacking crit with my gear. I did a bit of reading and I now have stacked power and armor pen and its made a difference.
  • Options
    epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If you like playing the GWF then keep doing so. It's not that they can't level or are not viable, it's just below level 30 they are generally speaking worse at every role then all the other classes. It's not until after 30 that you start getting access to the abilities that will help even the playing field.

As far as your group experience, in the instance you mentioned, I don't know what level this was occurring at, but generally speaking your CW and TR were most likely terrible at playing them. If the GF is coming in first for damage, that really says everything you need to know. Understand that the tank shouldn't be doing the top damage in a group.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    epixcomix wrote: »
    If you like playing the GWF then keep doing so. It's not that they can't level or are not viable, it's just below level 30 they are generally speaking worse at every role then all the other classes. It's not until after 30 that you start getting access to the abilities that will help even the playing field.

As far as your group experience, in the instance you mentioned, I don't know what level this was occurring at, but generally speaking your CW and TR were most likely terrible at playing them. If the GF is coming in first for damage, that really says everything you need to know. Understand that the tank shouldn't be doing the top damage in a group.

Yeah, i agree, it was a one time thing. I was like wow, the Tank is really good, lol. It was a fun run, we finished it smoothly and got what we need :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dat555 wrote: »
    You're pretty terrible if you're lvl15+ and having a hard time with gwf.. I'm lvl18 and can clear like 30 mobs at once in seconds

30 mobs in seconds, that's, err, unbelievable.

Then again I guess trolls (with just two posts both saying how much better they are at GWF than anyone else) get a HUGE club.......
  • Options
    mountain45mountain45 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have a lvl 18 GWF and from what i learned its not how many you kill at once is how you go around fighting them. use your dodge/escape be mobile and youll get somewhere .. will it be quick fights not always, just focus on how to defeatcthem not how many and how fast you can lvl
  • Options
    tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    30 mobs in seconds, that's, err, unbelievable.

Then again I guess trolls (with just two posts both saying how much better they are at GWF than anyone else) get a HUGE club.......

Or they have used a fully upgraded daily power.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tharkan wrote: »
    Or they have used a fully upgraded daily power.

Fully upgraded daily power at level 18 as the OP claimed he was? That is quite a trick ;)
  • Options
    w01fe01w01fe01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im level 21 atm, focusing on power>defense>dps stat i can get my hands on.

just soloed cloak tower too, was it quick? no, but **** if i didnt think a rogue would be too squishy to make it work.
  • Options
    sanszasansza Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really wish I hadn't dabbled with rogue before starting my gwf. The first four levels are really a good indicator of the next 20 (so far)... 2 clicks to kill a zombie with a rogue, 4 for the GWF. It would be funny, if it weren't so goddamned sad.
  • Options
    epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sansza wrote: »
    I really wish I hadn't dabbled with rogue before starting my gwf. The first four levels are really a good indicator of the next 20 (so far)... 2 clicks to kill a zombie with a rogue, 4 for the GWF. It would be funny, if it weren't so goddamned sad.

What will make you even sadder is that it's more indicative of the next 25-30 levels depending on how you spec and gear. Enjoy!
  • Options
    sanszasansza Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    epixcomix wrote: »
    What will make you even sadder is that it's more indicative of the next 25-30 levels depending on how you spec and gear. Enjoy!

Eh, I think instead of waiting another 10 levels for the class to work, I'll just play something else.
  • Options
    xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    For me, easiest way to level GWF seems to be PvP. It is easier to top the scores with GWF than Rogue, as nothing can keep up with your speed. I've levelled from 10 to 21 almost purely with PvP and I think I've died less than 5 times while doing that. I don't usually get much kills, but usually lots of assists and captures, more often than not finishing in the top three so far.

PvE on the other hand seems to be harder, no way I can take aggression off from CW or DC. Even if open up the fight, enemies just leave me standing there and run to fight every one else... : )
  • Options
    happyhowiezhappyhowiez Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi all, I purely do PVE and at first i was having a bit of trouble around lvl 6-8 but then i read a post somewhere about what specs to look for on equipment etc and they were as follows: Power - Recovery - Defense (in that order).
    Power for damage, Recovery for replenishing your abilities and Defense for staying alive.

Also apparently the Sentinel line is broken but the post said to choose the Destroyer chain once you have it available (which is what i will be doing as i'm only lvl 23 at the moment).

I have taken a healer as my companion and with the above spec setup etc, i haven't used a healing potion in almost 5 lvls (going to sell a bunch of them in AH hopefully for a few extra coin (saving coin for a mount which is 5 Gold).

For my feats, i have chosen anything that gives me Damage first, then surviving but cannot remember off top of my head exactly which ones they are.

With the above setup now, i jump to a group, press Q for my sweep slowing shot and then right mouse click n hold till it fills and release then, and 99% of time all minions etc except bosses die, then i just deal with whatever may have survived quickly. Because i use recovery as a spec on equipment etc too, i find that my TAB option fills up about 3-5 times for a boss and my SLAM (which is awesome) fills twice.

Hopefully this helps someone somehow, and if you see a character running around called Howie_Hero (that's me by the way) will be happy for you to watch me battle or join you if you need help.
    Happy Hunting :)
  • Options
    darkangel034darkangel034 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if he needs a to be lvl 30 before he is viable, then something is wrong...they need buffs. my lvl 5 rouge has more auto attack damage than my GWF..that is just stupid....