test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why so much complaining about Zen Store??

Comments

• lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's your choice. You and a few others will be keeping the server alive. Any of PWE's others game will show you this. Some people are smart with their money, others throw it around. If you have the extra cash to throw down on something far more expensive then what it should be then, by all means.

This...are far more people at least in gaming that either cant or wont pay for those prices, and then are others who understand its overpriced and so they dont pay it...then you have those select few who throw money at a game regardless of how expensive or a ripp off...the problem always becomes. Can you support your game on those people that throw there money away.... sometimes answer is yes...othertimes it is no...example is TOR are plenty of people that throw money at that game but still deep in the red... while a game like say DDO has a much better pricing model, and yet far less fans and makes a hefty profit.

Its all about profit... and i am not convinced that current model will keep NWN alive... because are so many of us that our eyes bugged out when we saw the prices... so you can love the pricing all you want...but seems a vast vocal majority of us are voicing our hate of those prices.
    perasien wrote: »
    Like I mentioned in my original post, I have not spent a dime on the cash shop. I dropped $200 on the game because getting 5 days ead start on 4 day weekend for me was worth it. Hell, I would have spent 3 times that if i were to just go eat out, see some movies, do some shopping, etc.

where are you eating at the ritz? is your food covered in gold? are you buying that 1200 dollar pizza in NY wtf man xD i go to town, buy a game, eat out and not even going to hit 100 dollars...let alone 200...
  • jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You want a valid complaint how about the fact when I try to get extra character slot it says this character cant purchase this. I thought PWE/Cryptic wanted my money. Seems like some real idiots were put in charge of the store for neverwinter.
  • perasienperasien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your sarcasm is much appreciated. I am living and working in Switzerland where a big mac meal costs a whopping $17.25. So you get the idea...
  • earthfellearthfell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh really? so those bags just magically appear without any effort? What about the code and development that goes along with it? What about the labor that is involved in creating these digital goods? Of course supply and demand applies whether the goods are digital or material. Supply is not a concept that only applies to "raw materials"...

Yes, now the bags magically appear without any effort. At one point it was coded, now it's just a copy and paste. And yes, supply only applies to things which are real and finite. There is no such thing as supply and demand theory with infinite supply, because it doesn't exist in nature. Supply and demand is a theory about how prices come into existence (it isn't even a very good theory), and it is completely UNABLE to explain prices for the cash shop.... because PW priced the items arbitrarily, not due to some kind of supply and demand model.

I am saying, stop with the supply and demand because it is completely, and totally, wrong here.
  • hexcaliberhexcaliber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh really? so those bags just magically appear without any effort? What about the code and development that goes along with it? What about the labor that is involved in creating these digital goods? Of course supply and demand applies whether the goods are digital or material. Supply is not a concept that only applies to "raw materials"...
    No the code was already in place for the free starter bags, and frankly you are grasping at straws with this argument, having now created said bag it can be pulled out of thin air ad infinitum in any guise they please.

The bottom line is that prices are excessive, and WILL drive potential customers away, I have spent literally thousands in ftp titles and have not begrudged a cent of it, but the prices here are just silly, and will be detrimental to the game long term.
  • lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your sarcasm is much appreciated. I am living and working in Switzerland where a big mac meal costs a whopping $17.25. So you get the idea...

that bigmac better unwrap itself, be made of 100% beef, and made by a AAA chef...in the back...and jump in my mouth and chew itself for that price >,>

Edit: fun debate but i'm off to bed, good luck on this topic i feel gonna be a running theme...
  • hexcaliberhexcaliber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Completely ignoring purchasing power parity while doing a direct currency comparison proves nothing, other than demonstrate you don't know as much about economics as you think.
  • perasienperasien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hexcaliber wrote: »
    Completely ignoring purchasing power parity while doing a direct currency comparison proves nothing, other than demonstrate you don't know as much about economics as you think.

What are you arguing here? that my decision to spend $200 on this game vs buying 10-11 BigMac meals was wrong? lol
  • jniebaumjniebaum Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What are you arguing here? that my decision to spend $200 on this game vs buying 10-11 BigMac meals was wrong? lol

Well the burgers might have killed yah faster, but then they likely wouldn't leave a bad taste in your mouth. Hrmm.. I call Toss-Up.

I also noticed they happened to have trivialized the money system in NWO. Not even the Auction house accepts the standard money (Gold/Silver/Copper) its all those stupid Non-DnD Astral Diamonds. I somehow feel everytime a player sees that Zen Store NPC poor old G.G. rolls in his tomb.
  • xristanaxxristanax Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Want to repaint my house for free? You can wash my car afterwards and mow my lawn every week too while you're at it. Why don't you buy me a cup of coffee on the way over from Starbucks too and as a tip, i'll give you a bit of advice: F2P is F2P.You want to respec but can't afford zen OK, here's a little secret:

Dont buy what you can't afford

Have fun with that while you're painting my house
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kaltoum wrote: »
    Compared to CO and STO the prices are insane.

STO shop:
    Inventory: $4 for 12 slots, so $8 for 24. NWO is a bit more
    Bank: $3 for 12 slots, so $4.5 for 24. NWO is a bit more
    Shared Bank: $10 for 10 slots (NWO has none)
    Character slots: $6.25 for 2. NWO is 1.25 less
    Respec token: $5 (NWO is $6)
    Bridge Officer slots: $2.50 for 2 Duty Officer slots: $2.25 for 25
    (hard to compare NWO. Companion Idle Slots, fall somewhere between Bridge Officer & Duty Officer)
    Keys: Same price

Fancy Bridge Officers - $6
    Fancy Ships - $25 at level cap/$50 for three-pack
    (NWO Companions - $10-$30)

Some things are a bit more, some are a bit less. The one big difference really, is that STO also has subscriptions & you could gain some of the bonuses by leveling a character while under sub (which is probably one of the reasons there's no sub option here - they lost a bunch of money on service upgrades that way.)
  • alecstormalecstorm Member Posts: 142 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Market rules, people. Things cost too much? Less people will buy it. I'm pretty sure of one thing. Price are high because game is new. Even in Elder scroll online the business would probably be montly fee for some time then f2p. Here is almost the same. All the fanboy that can buy stuffs will buy even at insane price. Then prices will go down, and down. Actually it's early to say "i totally need this mount", or space, etc. Sure you will find you need, but later. When price will not be that high. And if they will be high again, well, i think that neverwinter will simply lose the battle against other mmorpg. I don't worry about this now, we will see :)
  • antonislakantonislak Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So why the complaining? because its a terrible pricing model... its not about entitlement its about being a consumer!

This... cash shop prizes are a joke, just check the prizes on POE or LOL u ll see the difference
  • vfibsuxvfibsux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    vaaso189 wrote: »
    They are extremely greedy and we do suffer from a pathetic bank/bag space because of it. That's why I complain, they could learn a thing or two from Grinding Gear Games.

If you can't spend $10 for a 24 slot bag to play a FREE game then you are the greedy one.
  • debarsdebars Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    Isn't the idea to have lower priced things so people will buy more of them? Instead of having expensive things that fewer people will buy? Learn to business? hrmmmm
  • ascher11tascher11t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    earthfell wrote: »
    Oh god... just... no.

These are digital items, they are not real. They can be created out of thin air and have zero raw material costs, therefore the concept of "supply" does not exist because the supply is infinite.

Do you actually believe someone in the back of the Neverwinter office is handcrafting each individual bag and mount for the cash shop? Why on earth would you even think the concept of supply and demand is appropriate here? It just makes no sense.

Sorry, but I just had to laugh. Oh god. This is hilarious. You ask if perasien had any knowledge in economics, but it seems that you're the one who has no knowledge of economics. None whatsoever. You just wanted to seem cool, and thats it.

Supply and Demand applies to any economy, be it real, or digital. If Supply and Demand didn't apply to MMO's, there would be no gold farmers because it wouldn't be profitable.

Now, go play outside or something.
  • novoihelvettinovoihelvetti Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    All i can say is that i feel sorry for peoples who bought the 200 euro starter pack and still think they made a good deal. But as always there is few who defends their favorite game, no matter how bad designs it has(war z great example)

This is something i posted in other thread witch obviously got deleted, some thaughts from a guy who has played MMO's since they started to exist at late 90's

You really cannot compare the annual cost of P2P MMO for this.
    In P2P games, you pay the monthly 10-15 euros and have access to everything and you do not have a frustration walls.

While i never had a problems myself for buying a game for 50 euros and burning 15 euros per month for subscription, lets think what i can get with the initial 50 euros here.

I could get:
    -ONE character with full inventory slots
    -ONE character with 110% mount and +24 inventory slots
    -4 profession asset packs for ONE character

If i ever want more then two characters, i have to delete old ones or pay 5 euros per slot. Not to mention that i get NOTHING to those characters from my initial 50 euros.

If i fail the spec of my main character.... guess what five euros again just to make it useful in endgame. And tell me, is there anyone who doesn't **** up the spec on hes first character in the game?

When we think about what can cost and what should be free:
    -Respec should always be fairly cheap in MMO
    -While you can have biggest possible bags in cash shop, you need to have FAIR inventory space obtainable without months of grinding.
    -Cash shop healthstones should be removed from the game asap or they should only function when soloing. Eventually you end up guilds requiring those in raids and it will create the wall between free and wallet warriors and make the game P2W.

-Cosmetics can cost money, aslong as peoples are not forced to look complete ***-hats without spending.
    -Neat looking mounts can cost money, but still 40 euros for mount is overkill imo
    -Services like renaming char can cost money.
    -You can have the mandatory lottery boxes, aslong the items are only fluff. Trust me, there is ridiculous amount of tools who spend their whole salary into these boxes. Just go look SWTOR.

I know there is a lot of blind fans and lot of rich folks who disagree. Just remember that MMO's were originally born as an environment where every player had equal footing regardless of hes background. I know this ideology is dead in the modern MMO's and those days are only a memory now.

Now you have a game witch is completely pay to win. Even the Chinese money farmers have been driven away as the developer does that business now. In oldschool games you were not able to buy the best gear with currency unless you had a deal with top raiding guilds. Now every single item can be bought from auctionhouse and currency you use there is purchasable with euro's

This of course leaves the "everything is obtainable without paying" card. You can buy the Ferrari you always wanted by collecting scrap metal and selling it. However the time it takes you to get there is not worth the trouble.

I only see two categories of players in NWN. Free players and Rich players. The middle section is completely missing as you cannot make your game more enjoyable without truckload of money. And while most of peoples think it doesn't matter, the "middle folk" is the one who makes the game enjoyable for free and rich playerbase. Without those peoples you first lose the free players and eventually you also lose the rich ones.
  • debarsdebars Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    ascher11t wrote: »
    Sorry, but I just had to laugh. Oh god. This is hilarious. You ask if perasien had any knowledge in economics, but it seems that you're the one who has no knowledge of economics. None whatsoever. You just wanted to seem cool, and thats it.

Supply and Demand applies to any economy, be it real, or digital. If Supply and Demand didn't apply to MMO's, there would be no gold farmers because it wouldn't be profitable.

Now, go play outside or something.

the supply of times i can download this game is running dangerously low!!!! They need to start charging people to dl this game! /face explode
  • doctormonkeedoctormonkee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GGG is just an amazing company because they made a game for the gamers. They gave players who didn't pay them anything enough bag space and access to the same loot as everyone else. If you look at their hardcore ladders, for example, you'll see their developers within the ranks of players (with no in game advantages over anyone else). They are just avid gamers themselves who enjoy what they made and are kind enough to share it without giving others an advantage. I can't say the same for this company.

Tera has a great ftp model and does a very nice job implementing elite status or even founders status. This horribly greedy company can learn from EnMasse. At the end of the day, the ftp model allows players to progress/attain loot in a timely fashion (not grinding 5 months to respec a build for example). A player can get back to level 60 in a few days in this game rather than grind 5 months to respec the same character - there's something wrong with that model.

The logic of some of the people in these forums is really laughable. Hell, if PW offered a package for $1200 where you start out at level 60 for all characters with all the end game gear in your inventory (if it would all even fit), a few new pixels that no one else has, another new class only for you that is also level 60, and all achievements already unlocked, I bet some of you would buy it and gloat on the forums that you are mastered "end game" and unlocked every achievement.
  • istianisistianis Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2013
    Hmmz you are wrong actually.

Supply and Demand raise prices of the good if the demand is higher then the supply. As allready said , there is an infinite ammount of supply , as in , they ll never run out of it , so prices cannot go up by demand.

There is a demand for the goods though , and putting high prices on those goods is abusing people that want to shove over the cash. Good for those people , but it is clear that many others do not want to.

Me personally , i would give them 50 bucks for 5 24 slot bags , then 25 for 1. That would mean they would have been able to get 50 bucks from me on that item , but sadly enough now they get nothing.

High prices work well on goods that keep their value(gold diamonds etc), but these are virtual items , aka worth nothing after being bought and when they close the game , i wouldnt even have that.It is better to sell 10.000 x 5 bucks items , then 1000 x 10 buck items.

Now on the other side , it is a "free" game. You get alot for not even paying the initial buy. Maybe use that money to buy what you need/want , and every month you add 15 bucks to it.

Still i feel prices are indeed to steep , given the many limitiations it brings for not buying. Some might be happy with them , i currently am not looking at the shop , but i would be happier with bagspace to start with:)
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If i ever want more then two characters, i have to delete old ones or pay 5 euros per slot.

Not to be nitpicky, but it's $5 for two slots. Which, honestly, is on the cheap side for extra character slots compared to many other games.

(which also reminds me that the mail system is quite nice here - you can mail to "your account" instead of just specific characters, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg like it does in some games. So muling items isn't bad.... or it would be, if they scattered a few more mailboxes around.)
  • ziggystardust87ziggystardust87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's no so much the zen and business model itself, it's the way the whole game evolves around it. The thing that annoys me is the CONSTANT reminder of the zen, and the time that im spending is a crappy hourly wage. And it's intended. It's intended to annoy/incentive me, im sure it.

Reach level 20? Good lock with your bag, impossible to play the game without another bag.
    Constantly receiving nightmare lockboxes and BUY YOUR KEY TODAY.
    Power skill tree? You have to spend X points before you can progress. Why? So i will buy the respec when i find out i screwed up.
    It's the constant small things here and there that really annoys me.
    Only refine 24K AD a day? Why? So you have to buy zen if you really want something, even if you have enough rough AD.

Im sure theres more and i could go on, but you get the point.

And btw it's working. I've already spent money, because im not stupid. I could see how long it would take me to grind for another bag (very very bad hourly wage) instead of just purchasing. But at some point it will put me off and i will quit the game, as im sure a lot of others will too. Thats why im sad about it, it's not a long lasting game.
  • grekthorangrekthoran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    Honestly I whole heartily agree that the prices are too steep but you don't have to buy anything from the store to get to max level and run Epic Dungeons... I am pretty sure this is a case of people feeling entitled...

I have chimed in on a few of these threads and pretty much I just state that the prices are too high and move on. I'm not trying to complain about it. I'm still playing and even if they don't lower the price, I'll still continue to play.

I just look at it as the zen store is also in beta. I went there to spend some money, but I could not justify paying the price for certain items. If they were lower I would. I look at it more as feedback than complaining. I know they will examine data and see what's selling and what's not, but I just thought I would also throw my 2c in here and hope they read these forums.
  • istianisistianis Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2013
    There is one fact that lets me understand the prices. The tons and tons of dilithium i have in STO which would make me able to buy quiete a bit for Neverwinter.

Never needed anything in STO store , it was more free player friendly , so i have all the dilithium i have been gathering for years.
  • joukuoj32joukuoj32 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's no so much the zen and business model itself, it's the way the whole game evolves around it. The thing that annoys me is the CONSTANT reminder of the zen, and the time that im spending is a crappy hourly wage. And it's intended. It's intended to annoy/incentive me, im sure it.

Reach level 20? Good lock with your bag, impossible to play the game without another bag.
    Constantly receiving nightmare lockboxes and BUY YOUR KEY TODAY.
    Power skill tree? You have to spend X points before you can progress. Why? So i will buy the respec when i find out i screwed up.
    It's the constant small things here and there that really annoys me.
    Only refine 24K AD a day? Why? So you have to buy zen if you really want something, even if you have enough rough AD.

Im sure theres more and i could go on, but you get the point.

And btw it's working. I've already spent money, because im not stupid. I could see how long it would take me to grind for another bag (very very bad hourly wage) instead of just purchasing. But at some point it will put me off and i will quit the game, as im sure a lot of others will too. Thats why im sad about it, it's not a long lasting game.

you get free bags from quests while lvling, respec right now really not needed(it will be needed when more paragon paths come to game)
  • doctormonkeedoctormonkee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

No offense...but the fact that you recognized this company's greedy business model so well and still gave into it...I wouldn't call that smart. But I will be nice and not call you stupid either :D
  • thruduk27thruduk27 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Has anyone ever worked out if it is more expensive to get the Uber items in a game like wow? Cost of initial purchase + Addons + monthly sub? If all you want is 1 or 2 items that cost $100 from a cash shop and then you're done surely that is better value.

It's all about how you look at it..
  • adamaantadamaant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vaaso189 wrote: »
    They are extremely greedy and we do suffer from a pathetic bank/bag space because of it. That's why I complain, they could learn a thing or two from Grinding Gear Games.
    Even in the pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons game there was a limit to how much you could carry and it had nothing to do with greed. They tried to make the game have some realism. Try roleplaying that to take away the pain.
  • adamaantadamaant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm of the opinion that some tweaking needs to be done if anything to help ease the burden on some of the loyal customers who love the game but don't have the money. But it is a good game and a lot goes into a game like this, namely money. I want them to succeed. For that reason, I do want people to spend money in the cash shop on fun and convenience items as well as necessities.

My proposal is that they lower the cost on the basic necessities like bags and professional tools. These are the items used by the in game "working poor". As in any society, we need to take care of those people. Can you tell I'm a Democrat? But I'm center left, as I do believe that PWE and Cryptic are far from evil and greedy. They have made a great game and deserve to be rewarded.
  • strikerjoltstrikerjolt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The White Knights are coming!

Seriously the White Knights are coming and they will you that you're a lazy person entitle gamer. Because they have no concept of a real game without giving massive amounts of money to win. They don't get the concept the the time you spend in a game should be rewarded. Not hand you a penny, and tell you to do it again if you want another penny.
This discussion has been closed.