test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the role of the Guardian Fighter in PVE Cryptic?

2»

Comments

• Options
    gotnksgotnks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fifthace48 wrote: »
    Companions need to be removed from instances all together.

Now this, I disagree with...the few other games that have companions like SWTOR generally remove them from instances and I think NW would lose something rather than gain from this change. They should however follow Wow/swtor's way of making them like Pets, where you can turn off auto-casting of spells like Taunts. Plus, they expect you to have more than one companion later in the game so you can swap the tank out for groups then use him while soloing.

I like the dynamic + backup they add, makes it more interesting overall + more options for players, to an extent. Replacing the Tank entirely is a bit beyond that extent, though lol
  • Options
    unjustbladeunjustblade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    gotnks wrote: »
    The Mark system sucks. It's not fun. It's not intuitive in the slightest. It's very much annoying that HP damage removes it, which teaches Tanks to Block more often than they should, and using that logic in Trash Packs leads to you having 0 guard meter left. It teaches up and coming Tanks to Tank poorly and downright wrongly. It is counter-intuitive to our, currently very limited, role in the group dynamic.

That's because you shouldn't be trying to tank adds. They are for the TR/GWF/CW/DC to burn down. Your focus should be on the boss, and only the boss unless someone is truly in danger of biting it. Also, if you still don't know what mark does at whatever level you're at, try reading the tool-tip. It tells you flat out what it does, the same with every ability.

Pro-tip: Mark will quickly be rendered useless without Enhanced Mark.
  • Options
    gotnksgotnks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That still doesn't change the fact that it's an unintuitive, too-easily-lost system. Change it to a timed debuff and bam, that problem solved for the most part. Taking HP dmg is inevitable and it still encourages teaching new Tanks improper tactics.
  • Options
    zocat1zocat1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also agree that the current implementation of Mark is bad. Keep in mind though, that I'm not even 30 yet, so I have limited abilities & a limited viewpoint.

When I solo I absolutely love my GF. Facetank normal attacks, and then raise the shield to guard power atttacks as soon as I see the animation start. And when I see a very rewarding "Blocked" message I feel awesome. And then I continue using all my slotted abilities, while facetanking the "weak" normal attacks again.

Now I add Mark to the equation. I suddenly cant facetank the normal attacks anymore, and I feel forced into staying in Guard with only using my At-Will abilities. And that sucks. I no longer have the "Yes, I reacted & blocked in time!" feeling. I also feel I cannot use a lot of my other abilities, since as soon as I lower my guard I loose my mark.
    Sure, I can reapply it, but that honestly feels like bad design.

My personal wish would be to lose mark only against power attacks which arent blocked.
  • Options
    joukuoj32joukuoj32 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    not sure if what i read is true, i played in BW3 and it was hard tank but 1(boss)+1(elite add) was not easy but it worked

now tanking is really easy, get mark with enhanced mark(i can grab agro when some1 else got elite to half hp->my dwarf came use mark->block+left click stab and i have agro in 5 secs and less)

in dungeons well it is messy sometimes but at start mark boss(elite adds if boss have them) when a lot normal adds or more elites spawn(block+left click getting agro great, but you must have ppl in party which dont run away from you) and you start panic use Enforced Threat and if cant build agro while mobs on you from Enforced Threat cant be helped learn more or reroll to different class

if you blocking and using your left click skill(lvl10 and you can attack while blocking) you build agro and mark still on(guarded attacks dont remove mark, when you blocking target cant remove mark by hitting you)

PS: i found that most ppl have problems, because they dont read what skills, powers and so on doing(holding agro isnt problem, i have highest dmg sometimes too)
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have you tried to play better then a companion would?
    Also, companions shouldn't be allowed in dungeons and skirmishes but that is just my idea.
  • Options
    kintoun03kintoun03 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have a really boring definition of fun.

I've never had as much fun as a healer as I am having now, since my job is to heal while kiting a ball of death.

I expect DPS classes enjoy having more to do than just execute the optimal rotation for their class while using the optimal build for their class. Not that there is anything wrong with that, determining the optimal rotation and build is very rewarding for the few intelligent and dedicated enough to actually do the testing, analysis, and math; but for everyone else they are either doing it right by doing as they are told, or doing it wrong. With a highly mobile fight, it is harder to model and test builds, making practical testing harder.
    Hah I agree healing is fun, though it undermines the tanks role. But in the later instances you'll get insta-gibbed by that ball. Not fun anymore.
    I do get that this isn't a fun state for people that rolled a tank class wanting to tank. It is a terrible state for them, since they are left with a character that is bad at its role. It should be fixed somehow so that the class is more fun to play. But don't say that the current state isn't fun for everyone else; the current state if ****ing great if you aren't a tank.
    By fixing the tanks role I think DPS could have more fun. I usually DPS, and in last BetaWeekend I was not enjoying myself in dungeons. I wanted the MOBs controlled and on a single spot so I could AE and see those nice large numbers. Instead I was face tanking 1 mob or chasing around a pack that was in the healer. I think healers are being challenged and are having fun, but that is because they're filling the role of off-tank AND healer.
  • Options
    novoihelvettinovoihelvetti Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    Anyone mind sharing some feat builds to use with tank guardian?
    Im lvl 25 and still havent placed a single point as respec in this game is tard expensive, cant afford to mess it up, lol