Install Arc
Options

Nightmare Lockboxes.

Comments

• Options
    toadoflickingtoadoflicking Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thedrakkos wrote: »
    let's all watch as the Zen coin "skyrockets" compared to the Astral Diamond, because the Astral Diamond is going to be WoW gold in short order.
    This is going to be fairly difficult to pull off, considering Astral Diamonds started at their lowest possible value per zen. They're just now starting to become more valuable since the non-Founders have started playing. But the Exchange will not allow a transaction for more than 500 AD per zen.

And this is why I have kept my ADs from my founder pack. I'm not going to sell them for their lowest possible value. I'd sooner just buy the Zen myself.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xandur wrote: »
    so I looked in the exchange, it was at its cheapest of 465 AD to purchase ONE Zen!! To get that 125 Zen i needed, i would have to have 58,125 AD. That means at its worst, 59 days of those daily quests, and at its best, 15 days of the longer daily quests........... to open one box..... for one item..... thats barely better than anything i already have, if its even better!

Yes, the AD exchange rate is currently very high (the allowable range is min50 to max500). A large part of that is because the people who bought $60 and $200 founder packs got handed huge piles of AD to start with. This probably warped the starting market values. The auction house prices as well.

(Over in Star Trek Online, which has been going awhile, the exchange rate for the past few months has been in the 90-130 range. I've got 4k zen sitting in that game, waiting for the new expansion, that I got by exchanging dilithium on several max level characters. I'm hoping/assuming that, a few months from now, the NWO exchange market will have stabilized, and we'll have figured out the "easy" ways to earn AD in-game. At which point "well, you can buy it with AD!" will really be a valid argument.)
  • Options
    xandurxandur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Yes, the AD exchange rate is currently very high (the allowable range is min50 to max500). A large part of that is because the people who bought $60 and $200 founder packs got handed huge piles of AD to start with. This probably warped the starting market values. The auction house prices as well.

(Over in Star Trek Online, which has been going awhile, the exchange rate for the past few months has been in the 90-130 range. I've got 4k zen sitting in that game, waiting for the new expansion, that I got by exchanging dilithium on several max level characters. I'm hoping/assuming that, a few months from now, the NWO exchange market will have stabilized, and we'll have figured out the "easy" ways to earn AD in-game. At which point "well, you can buy it with AD!" will really be a valid argument.)

I didnt know there was a lower limit, but i was aware of the upper limit because of a previous post so thanks for that info! Still digging to learn this game.. I came from FFXI with a bit of WoW in between and a few other short lived free to play MMO's after, so there's a lot to figure out still. I do however hope things stabilize better! If you pay to purchase an item, you should get something good, if you dont pay for it, i agree that you should work for it but 2 months is a bit ridiculous to me for a single item that may turn out to be trash. Maybe some sort of guarantee or something like that would be nice (as in something guaranteed to be better, or at least by the *recommended tag better, meaning it may not really be better depending on your build).
  • Options
    vaultfairyvaultfairy Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You make it sound like you are forced to open them...
  • Options
    flowsharianflowsharian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    He's right, there are paywalls, problem is this is a free to play game, it's hard to create a balance between pay to play and pay to win, but anything of more importance, imo, shouldn't cost, and certain luxuries(not including bags in this, I will be damned if I have to pay for bags, and will leave this game in a huffy!) should have a cost so they can pay for support and make a profit.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There isn't absolutely anything in that box that's worth opening them for. A mount? A companion? Getting bars to trade in for some ugly costumes or other types of mounts?

Really don't get why people care about those boxes. There is NOTHING in them that's worth anything. Is it annoying that you can't destroy them? Yes, it is, but you can sell them on the AH and make a little AD on the side with them.

to some that is what they want. It is a gambling syndrome. I personally save them and use my AD to buy keys and unlock them or just sell them on AH for AD and use AD to buy something else :)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He's right, there are paywalls

Where is there a paywall - what point in the game can you not progress beyond until you cough up some $$?
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Where is there a paywall - what point in the game can you not progress beyond until you cough up some $$?

You know, I had to reread that and I have to agree. Where is this "wall" You can go from level 1 to 60 without paying a single penny!
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    You know, I had to reread that and I have to agree. Where is this "wall" You can go from level 1 to 60 without paying a single penny!

You can also make Zen with astral diamonds and buy anything in the game with out spending any real money.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You can also make Zen with astral diamonds and buy anything in the game with out spending any real money.

Yea. I learn that with STO (granted I did get lifetime cause I love Star Trek) If you have the time and patience, you CAN get everything you want via grinding out AD and convert them to Zen. Of course right NOW it is a bad time to spend AD to buy Zen, because of the high exchange rate, but that never stop anyone before ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Like i said before, there's no pay walls, just their attempt to throw their real money system in your face and try to entice the hell out of you to buy things. It works, but its not a very ethical system. Others have better proven revenue systems that don't slam junk in your face.

But as I mentioned in my first post, i've only played this game a day, and have only so far recognized one instance where they try to coax you into giving them cash.

But hey! Its better than in-game advertisements! Imagine arriving at a boss fight where its some big ogre thats like "ME GEIKO OGRE! ME SAVED HUNDREDS ON SMASH INSURANCE THROUGH GEIKO! NOW ME SMASH YOU WITH NO WORRY!" followed by you using you're Flo Decoy to taunt the beast while you spew bundle boxes at him...
  • Options
    grekthorangrekthoran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    I think there are some items that are overpriced on the zen market. Keys is definately not one of those items. The price for keys is very fair. I have no problem with these boxes.
  • Options
    inconsiderateinconsiderate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    They are not worth selling, since you must price them below 200 AD, which is less than .5 pennies.

Funny, mine all sell for 450-600. Priced so that mine are the cheapest on the AH at the time.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    grekthoran wrote: »
    I think there are some items that are overpriced on the zen market. Keys is definately not one of those items. The price for keys is very fair. I have no problem with these boxes.

You are right, the key's are priced very fairly when it comes to paying cash, but when trying to turn AD into Zen to buy a key, its rediculous. That is the fault of the game though. With a lack of ways to get AD (as far as i know anyway) only being able to get between 1k and 4k per day, and needing 125 Zen for a key, that means every day you can get between 2 and 8 Zen through the exchange, which means a rediculous amount of time to get 125 Zen for an item that was probably nowhere near worth your time.

If you have money to spend, yeah the system is perfectly fine. I'd buy keys every time i found a box, and would probably buy some extra AD just so i could freely purchase a few boxes when i felt like it. But for those of us that have to penny pinch through our lives, which is the case for most of the kids in school, and probably most of the adults too, were at a loss.. Forced to work for 1-2 months for one simple item that isnt even that good. Thats the point there, but how do you find that balance? Thats the question of the year, and why there's so many Free MMORPG's. Everyone thinks they have a better game, and a better pay system.
  • Options
    dunnoo207dunnoo207 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xandur wrote: »
    You are right, the key's are priced very fairly when it comes to paying cash, but when trying to turn AD into Zen to buy a key, its rediculous. That is the fault of the game though. With a lack of ways to get AD (as far as i know anyway) only being able to get between 1k and 4k per day, and needing 125 Zen for a key, that means every day you can get between 2 and 8 Zen through the exchange, which means a rediculous amount of time to get 125 Zen for an item that was probably nowhere near worth your time.

If you have money to spend, yeah the system is perfectly fine. I'd buy keys every time i found a box, and would probably buy some extra AD just so i could freely purchase a few boxes when i felt like it. But for those of us that have to penny pinch through our lives, which is the case for most of the kids in school, and probably most of the adults too, were at a loss.. Forced to work for 1-2 months for one simple item that isnt even that good. Thats the point there, but how do you find that balance? Thats the question of the year, and why there's so many Free MMORPG's. Everyone thinks they have a better game, and a better pay system.

I really don't see the problem here. It's a FREE mmorpg, what did you expect? They can't give everything away for free, they have to make their money somehow. Best thing I could suggest is if you can't afford it, don't buy it.. Or go pay a $15 per month sub for WoW to get everything for free ingame.

Quite frankly I think a few items are on the high side. But, I expect to spend about $10 a month as long as I enjoy this game. I know many will spend much more per month than that.
  • Options
    jacktantojacktanto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    only suggestion i have is do like one thing gw2 does, some of the story quest or was it map completion grant you a key , you get less keys than chests ofc but you do get some, but then you get to see whats inside and you might want to have more keys :P

just like potato chips or beer :P you cant just have one hehe
  • Options
    fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    aerdire wrote: »
    I understand the arguments, and yes you can sell the boxes on the AH... but here is my question. I can buy a lock box for 200AD from the NPC ingame vendor, yet people sell (or rather list them... I doubt they sell) on the Auction House for 1000AD+... does anyone actually buy these from the AH?? I mean put them at less than 200AD, right?

I'll be damned. I thought these weren't tradeable for some reason. Guess I'll be selling some when I get home tonight on the AH.
  • Options
    tracilordstracilords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Don't really understand what the issue is really.

The game is free to download. The game is free to log in and enjoy. The company is quite justified in their quest to make a profit. Again, they don't require you pay anything to play the game. If they present what you consider an annoyance, fair enough .. then it's something you have to deal with while you are playing the game for free. It wasn't a charity publication and was never advertised as one. Play and enjoy or move along. It's a pretty simple endeavor.

And you didn't pay for the game, you paid for items and beta access. Paying for the game was never a requirement to play it.

It doesn't matter how you spin it, it doesn't change the truth.

And what's the big deal about loot that you can sell to other players and make money? It's not like you unceremoniously looted the Nightmare Lockbox of You-Now-Have-One-Less-Character-Slot ... then I would be mad too
    newtenacioussig.png
    Casually Accomplished since 2009 ** WEBSITE ** COMMUNITY CHARTER
  • Options
    elementstarcraftelementstarcraft Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    russlowm wrote: »
    Why you care so much? Just silently don't pay. Don't flame. Nobody cares.

Is this a serious question?

I don't know, why would I care about a lock box that is picked up randomly from the ground that takes up an inventory slot which cannot be dropped or sold and requires a key that can only be attained from the cash shop.
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the problem here is someone is gonna pay for keys or the userbase' inventories (limited as they are) will overflow in awhile. they need to be destructible it is disgusting that they are not

and there are very valuable things in it, whoever said there arnt. the most valuable are the coalascent wards, then the enchants
  • Options
    sighionsighion Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The fact that they can't be destroyed is simply a bug. In every other Cryptic game they can be destroyed.
  • Options
    beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 696 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    PW games have lockboxes. This is nothing new to anyone who did any research about their other games before signing up for this one. It was to be expected. The only difference is they can't be destroyed. Since this is different from CO, where they can be destroyed, this may be due to a bug that needs fixing. One way to deal with the lockboxes is to not pick them up.

acctually forsaken world does not have locked boxes they do have those gacha orb things which are a gold sink from hell lol.

• Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    sighion wrote: »
    The fact that they can't be destroyed is simply a bug. In every other Cryptic game they can be destroyed.

If it is a bug, why isn't it fixed? It has been reported over and over, there are several threads about it. Consensus is they want it to stay in your inventory to drive you crazy until you cannot help yourself and buy the key:p.
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sighion wrote: »

that doesn't mean that you can in this one your not a dev you cant talk for them 'based on their other games' and just say 'its a bug'

• Options
    bobbyk45238bobbyk45238 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    I think it is complete <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that the keys don't drop off anything at all and the only way to get them is to pay cash (Zen) for them.

Lord of the Rings Online has the same thing, lockboxes and keys, BOTH which drop in the game, albeit the keys are a rarer drop, but at least there is a chance you can get them both in-game.

Please make the keys drop in game as rare loot aslo, even if the chance is 1 in 10,000, at least there will be a chance of us poor players to get one eventually!

And don't you dare chime in about trading Astral Diamonds for Zen. The exchange rate is absolutely HORRENDOUS! I'd have to play for over a month to get one key!
  • Options
    so0lso0l Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have won a grand total of ten lockboxes from 1-60

Oh god I'm buried...the injustice of it all. :rolleyes:

Also out of that ten I own a Nightmare inferno, the firehawk and some really hep blue gear. So Eleven bucks for two of the most sought after things in the game Oh the greed...theeeee greeeeed!!!

Great anecdote! I have one too. I've gotten eight lockboxes from 14-18 (last night and today) and have won three idols (blue) and five enchantment packages (green) from them. So either you must be extremely lucky to not have been bombarded with the things AND to have got two purple items from the ten you received, or I must be extremely unlucky.....or anecdotes really don't mean anything.

Either way, I enjoy the thrill of opening packages and getting random rewards, but I'll tire of idols and enchantments soon. I don't regret the purchase as the $10 I've spent on keys is probably worth the enjoyment I've got out of the game so far.....I'm just not sure how long it will last. The regular items are overpriced (in my opinion), and I'll eventually get tired of losing to the house while gambling with these boxes (the $1.25 per key is a decent price to keep me strung along).
  • Options
    ternesyavternesyav Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, the ZEN lost a sizeable chunk of its value (went from ~495 to ~475 in the last day).

Astral Diamonds are needed more than ZEN. You need ZEN for a few special things (ignore those stupid boxes, btw) but Astral Diamonds are a necessity. More-or-less, at least. Or more than ZEN. Significantly more, IMO.

Don't sweat it. They're going to make adjustments. Its bound to happen. This is the first few days of Open Beta, and the chars we make will roll right into game launch, so we'll be seeing more and more Astral Diamonds. Especially once the Auction House heats up.

You'd think that more Astral Diamonds would inflate the price of ZEN, but it won't. Anyone who knows about how in-game currency inflates due to "gold farmers" knows that there is an influx of currency ((not really - just normal farming turned into 'gold farming' - but its the difference from the average that counts)) causes inflation.

This game is more heavily slanted towards "pay-to-win" than other games with similar systems (GW2 comes to mind).

But the real litmus test is actually end-game. If players have a reason to stay on their max-level toons and keep coming back, then there will be lots of Astral Diamonds AND lots of ZEN - which will make things easier for all.

If this ends up like most typical MMOs, and 7/10s of the players quit after the first three months, ... well, that won't be good.
  • Options
    ternesyavternesyav Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    (...) And don't you dare chime in about trading Astral Diamonds for Zen. The exchange rate is absolutely HORRENDOUS! I'd have to play for over a month to get one key!

The amount of AD you get from dailies seems to increase as you level.

Blue-named loot from bosses in instance isn't bound on acquire (bind on equip), so you can sell them on the AH.

The way they did the crafting, there are items you craft that do NOT drop AT ALL in the game - so you always have stuff to sell.

Its actually not too bad for AD. And as I mentioned above, the price of ZEN has dropped considerably already.

I forgot to add that the price of ZEN is capped at 500 - can't go any higher. That's still alot, but we've already seen it go down. Just like the servers!
  • Options
    maroscimarosci Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really don't get why people care about those boxes. There is NOTHING in them that's worth anything.

But...they're purple!
  • Options
    absidyabsidy Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very glad they have things like this in game. People spending cash on them keeps it free for me. I <3 lockboxes.