test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nightmare Lockboxes.

thedrakkosthedrakkos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 228 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Or, Another Paywall.

This reminds me of the leveling tokens from DDO.

Free to play, but you need to pay to get your loot?

Only available with the use of our Store Currency?

Smacks of shenanigans, thanks much.

Also, saying you can trade an In-Game Currency for a Store Currency like this is some sort of a solution is ridiculous; someone still had to pay real-world currency for that item, even though it was shuffled off to the next guy, the price was still paid. This also completely overlooks the fact that a readily-accessible In-Game Currency is going to depreciate wildly against the Store Currency; let's all watch as the Zen coin "skyrockets" compared to the Astral Diamond, because the Astral Diamond is going to be WoW gold in short order.

I won't be buying any keys, I'm not giving you another dollar, locking content behind a paywall is insulting after you tout how freely-accessible you are, particularly if the locked content is in the inventory of a Founder.

Apparently you can't even destroy the worthless things. It is to laugh.

How long til we're swimming in the bloody things, and nobody is willing to buy keys?
Looking for a mature guild to play with?

www.guildmedieval.com

Courtesy, Integrity, Fair Play.
Post edited by thedrakkos on

Comments

• Options
    russlowmrusslowm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why you care so much? Just silently don't pay. Don't flame. Nobody cares.
  • Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    post it at auction and get some diamonds out of it
  • Options
    zorpennzorpenn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    thedrakkos wrote: »
    Or, Another Paywall.
    How long til we're swimming in the bloody things, and nobody is willing to buy keys?

As long as there are people that in last 2 days bought 200 keys? Read other topics. Some folks already opened hundreds of lockboxes each.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
  • Options
    soulwarrior78soulwarrior78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There isn't absolutely anything in that box that's worth opening them for. A mount? A companion? Getting bars to trade in for some ugly costumes or other types of mounts?

Really don't get why people care about those boxes. There is NOTHING in them that's worth anything. Is it annoying that you can't destroy them? Yes, it is, but you can sell them on the AH and make a little AD on the side with them.
  • Options
    dkfdevildkfdevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or, Another Paywall.

Also, saying you can trade an In-Game Currency for a Store Currency like this is some sort of a solution is ridiculous; someone still had to pay real-world currency for that item, even though it was shuffled off to the next guy, the price was still paid. This also completely overlooks the fact that a readily-accessible In-Game Currency is going to depreciate wildly against the Store Currency; let's all watch as the Zen coin "skyrockets" compared to the Astral Diamond, because the Astral Diamond is going to be WoW gold in short order.

I won't be buying any keys, I'm not giving you another dollar, locking content behind a paywall is insulting after you tout how freely-accessible you are, particularly if the locked content is in the inventory of a Founder.

I respect your opinion but dont spread lies

If you dont wanna have the lockboxes you just can discard them like any other item
    PW Games currently playing: Neverwinter, Raiderz, Black Light Retribution
    PW Games played: Startrek Online, War of the Immortals, Forsaken World, Battle of the immortals
    PW Games i didnt try: TorchLight 2, JadeDynasty, Rusty Hearths, Ether Saga Odyssey, PW1
  • Options
    dkfdevildkfdevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There isn't absolutely anything in that box that's worth opening them for. A mount? A companion? Getting bars to trade in for some ugly costumes or other types of mounts?

Really don't get why people care about those boxes. There is NOTHING in them that's worth anything. Is it annoying that you can't destroy them? Yes, it is, but you can sell them on the AH and make a little AD on the side with them.

Look at my reply above
    PW Games played: Startrek Online, War of the Immortals, Forsaken World, Battle of the immortals
    PW Games i didnt try: TorchLight 2, JadeDynasty, Rusty Hearths, Ether Saga Odyssey, PW1
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PW games have lockboxes. This is nothing new to anyone who did any research about their other games before signing up for this one. It was to be expected. The only difference is they can't be destroyed. Since this is different from CO, where they can be destroyed, this may be due to a bug that needs fixing. One way to deal with the lockboxes is to not pick them up.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    PW games have lockboxes. This is nothing new to anyone who did any research about their other games before signing up for this one. It was to be expected. The only difference is they can't be destroyed. Since this is different from CO, where they can be destroyed, this may be due to a bug that needs fixing. One way to deal with the lockboxes is to not pick them up.

Like i said before, You can perfectly destroy the lockboxes and if you cant than thats a bug that needs to be sorted out
  • Options
    clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Or, Another Paywall.

One....you do not "need" anything in box to be competitive in this game. TWO.....your statement about currency is bogus. If histofy is any indication we will actually see devaluation of zen relative toAD. In short some people will buy zen....some will grind AD.....some will sit on forums and whine that a company actually is looking to make a profit from their product.
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited May 2013
    dkfdevil wrote: »
    I respect your opinion but dont spread lies

If you dont wanna have the lockboxes you just can discard them like any other item

It Bugged if you try to you get the message 'do you want to discard' but it don't delete it the only way to get rid is to sell on AH or open it :(
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or, Another Paywall.

How the heck does "you can't level any further until you get Leveling Token" compare at all to "hey, you got some extra random loot, if you want to spend the AD or Zen to open it"?

To copy someone I saw recently, that's not comparing apples to oranges, that's comparing apples to pork fried rice.
  • Options
    thedrakkosthedrakkos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 228 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    "There's nothing you want"... so, there's stuff in the lockbox i have to pay to access. glad we covered that.

"say nothing".... no, i paid for this game, i'll say what i want, its called "feedback", or "constructive criticism".

"lots of people have bought keys"... well that totally demonstrates everything is fine, just like the US housing market.

"you lie"... i said "apparently", i didn't say "i have tested this exhaustively, and have demonstrated this to be true"...

to make this fair, they can either a) have the keys drop as well, as rarely as the lockboxes, and have both in the store for the same price or b) create a turnin npc that will take the worthless junk off our hands, granting the item intrinsic value, which won't be depreciated to death.

i'm sure there's other solutions for this problem, but just because you're personally fine with it doesn't change anything.

paywall.
    kiralyn wrote: »
    How the heck does "you can't level any further until you get Leveling Token" compare at all to "hey, you got some extra random loot, if you want to spend the AD or Zen to open it"?

To copy someone I saw recently, that's not comparing apples to oranges, that's comparing apples to pork fried rice.

paywalls drive off customers. both are examples thereof, wherein you're required to shell out to access shiny parts of the game that are carrotted in front of you.

you compared different examples of food, i compared different examples of paywalls.

hopefully that's clearer. thanks for chiming in.

funny, PoE is doing fine without paywalls. DDO, not so much. let's see how that trend continues.

www.guildmedieval.com

• Options
    mourbidmourbid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "There's nothing you want"... so, there's stuff in the lockbox i have to pay to access. glad we covered that.
    It's more like "There's nothing you need". The items in the lockboxes are not necessary to play or advance in the game. You can get mounts, clothes, etc. just by playing the game.
    "say nothing".... no, i paid for this game, i'll say what i want, its called "feedback", or "constructive criticism".
    You paid for bonus items and early access. The game itself is free-to-play. Also, your criticism wasn't very constructive (my opinion, of course).
    "lots of people have bought keys"... well that totally demonstrates everything is fine, just like the US housing market.
    Really? You're comparing people buying video game items to buying homes? Some people have money to spend and some don't. Again, the items do not give you anything that you need to progress in the game. If people have the money to spend, who cares? Those people help to support games like this so other people can play the game without paying a dime.
    to make this fair, they can either a) have the keys drop as well, as rarely as the lockboxes, and have both in the store for the same price or b) create a turnin npc that will take the worthless junk off our hands, granting the item intrinsic value, which won't be depreciated to death.
    Now this is constructive. I wouldn't mind something like this, myself.
    paywalls drive off customers. both are examples thereof, wherein you're required to shell out to access shiny parts of the game that are carrotted in front of you.
    Just remember, the game is free-to-play and they need to make money somehow. The lockboxes can give some cool things to people who want to pay the money for them. There is no "paywall" in this game as none of the items are needed to play.
  • Options
    aerdireaerdire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I understand the arguments, and yes you can sell the boxes on the AH... but here is my question. I can buy a lock box for 200AD from the NPC ingame vendor, yet people sell (or rather list them... I doubt they sell) on the Auction House for 1000AD+... does anyone actually buy these from the AH?? I mean put them at less than 200AD, right?
  • Options
    bardmedicine11bardmedicine11 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They are not worth selling, since you must price them below 200 AD, which is less than .5 pennies.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    its a video game... you don't "need" any of it. that doesn't change my point; it isn't accessible, its a scam and a gimmick, and Path of Exile seems to be doing fine without those.

And I didn't give GGG $60 for their game, yet I can access all the loot and functions just fine.

Hence my comments.

As for the Founder goodies, that's nice, but it doesn't forswear my commentary. The game itself clearly has paywalls, which you then confuse with free-to-play, but is more akin to "freemium" at best.

I'm comparing housing markets to in-game currency; "lots" was said, just because "lots" are doing it is no indicator that things are fine, the US economy has been imploding since 2008, while "lots" were doing it. It still on a race for the bottom, and "lots" are involved as we speak. In this case, "lots" will be using in-game mechanisms to convert one form of currency to another, except there's a finite amount of the Store Currency, and a near-infinite amount of "free and readily-available" - read, "soon to be worthless" - In-Game Currency. If you can't see how that one will pan out, you also likely believe the banks will save us all.

Of course it was constructive; thanks for noticing. I want this game to succeed, if for no other reasons than its a) Dungeons and Dragons, theoretically, which I love, b) increasing my Guild recruitment bottom line and c) I paid $60 for this thing to not-be-a-turkey.

Again, Path of Exile has hundreds of $1000 Founders, and they don't use paywalls. Seems paywalls may not be required, after all?

www.guildmedieval.com

• Options
    zyanzorzyanzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or, Another Paywall.

You do realize this game is free to download and free to play right? It will remain this way at launch too. You can experience the entire game without spending a dime. You know this right? BUT, if you want some extra cool stuff then you have to pay. I mean they have to get some money some how in order to pay off this game and continue to make more content.

That being said, if you don't want to pay to open those boxes, then don't. No one is forcing you.
  • Options
    bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They're completely optional and don't give any kind of "unfair" bonus.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • Options
    caiokillcaiokill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Speaking the guy who spend 60$.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    right, great, optional content is optional.

you could say the same about content in ddo; you don't need that content to level, its optional. you can just get by with these few quests that are available to you, and be satisfied with that.

how's that working out for ddo again?

yes, nobody is forcing me to pay for the optional carrot; please address the steadily-depreciating currency, and the fact we can't dispose of the garbage.

Also, I don't believe I said anything about "unfair". I said "ridiculous", "paywall", "scam", "gimmick". Almost forgot, "carrot"; an empty reward, a false incentive, a clever trick for a dumb animal. Just in case someone missed the context.

www.guildmedieval.com

• Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Boring rant. -5 for lameness.

It's free to play I get that... But they need to make money to keep the game running. You don't seem to get that bit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    great, thanks for not addressing a single point i've made, and exiting on a fallacy; they don't need to engage in shady practices that will alienate the playerbase to make money.

of course, we'll see if GGG falls flat on their face, or not. I very much doubt it.

<3 GGG.

Ok kids, this was fun, and I've said my peace pretty clearly, without any better arguments from the opposition than "they need money" and "its optional, and as such irrelevant".

www.guildmedieval.com

• Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    great, thanks for not addressing a single point i've made, and exiting on a fallacy; they don't need to engage in shady practices that will alienate the playerbase to make money.

of course, we'll see if GGG falls flat on their face, or not. I very much doubt it.

<3 GGG.

Ok kids, this was fun, and I've said my peace pretty clearly, without any better arguments from the opposition than "they need money" and "its optional, and as such irrelevant".

You didn't have any valid argument. You just had an unsupported opinion and opinion does not equal valid argument.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They are not worth selling, since you must price them below 200 AD, which is less than .5 pennies.

Here is the thing about that, hold on to them, because like other PW games those specific lockboxes will no longer drop or be able to be bought for AD. There may be less demand for them here than in STO, where the ships in them are more functional than simple mounts, but they won't drop forever.

I've also got to wonder when you played DDO last, because i don't think they've had leveling tokens for a while now.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you could say the same about content in ddo; you don't need that content to level, its optional. you can just get by with these few quests that are available to you, and be satisfied with that.

Again, your comparisons make NO SENSE.

If you don't buy a quest pack in DDO, you can't do those quests.
    If you don't get a training token in DDO, your character can't gain any more levels. (edit: and tfangel's post above points out that I haven't logged played much in quite a while, either. ;))

What quests unlocks or roadblocks are in the Nightmare Lockbox again? Oh, right. None. Everything in there is something you can get in game (enchantments, companions, AD, mounts, profession materials), just with a different skin or slightly different stats. And are also auctionable. As are the keys needed to unlock the boxes. Not one single thing in the lockbox will keep you from playing any of the game content. You'll just have a regular mount skin instead of a flaming one.

Last time I logged in, seemed like they were doing well. Plenty of players around, had to patch the game to add some new content they'd added since the last time I'd logged in, etc.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have won a grand total of ten lockboxes from 1-60

Oh god I'm buried...the injustice of it all. :rolleyes:

Also out of that ten I own a Nightmare inferno, the firehawk and some really hep blue gear. So Eleven bucks for two of the most sought after things in the game Oh the greed...theeeee greeeeed!!!
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    right, great, optional content is optional.

Seeing as how they got many times over the players they had when it was sub only, i'd say pretty good, plus in an interview they said that the average player spent an average of $50 a month, i'd say they are doing fine again. Plus, you seem to not have played a lot, as you can easily get enough points to open new content by simply running the free ones, watching for sales and promotions, etc. It's also a seven year old game, and before going free to play had so few players it was close to shutting down, had long stretches between new content, and now has two expansions and new packs ever few months.
  • Options
    worfsbaneworfsbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here we go again.

Gamer thinks he is entitled to every bit of gear in the game for free and right away lol.

Grow up kid
  • Options
    xandurxandur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm taking a neutral stance here, but, i believe his point has been misguided and misworded. Its not a paywall, but instead, its more of a gimmick by the game creators to entice you to make unnecessary purchases. None of the equipment or items or anything from those boxes are needed to play the game, and yes you can play without ever paying a penny and acquire everything (although with the exchange rates its f*cking stupid hard/time consuming, imo).

He is experiencing a bug that is not allowing him to drop his box, which is fine, it will eventually be fixed. No item is intended to ever enter your inventory without any way of removing it. Best option while the bug is still present is to put it in the auction house for what its actually worth, so it actually sells!

The fact is, the game developers need to make money, that money is whats used to fix bugs (such as not being able to drop the box), add new content, and keep the servers up so we can all play. Free to play games have stores where you can buy different types of currency to purchase special items, as is what they are doing in this game. However, i do believe that some companies take it too far, and this game is an instance of that. They have not taken it dramatically too far, but only slightly too far (imo).

Here's an example of the currency inflation he was talking about, that i've experienced with these boxes:
    I purchased 5 bucks in Zen, and completed a daily quest and received 1000 AD. By the time i was finished buying keys and boxes, and opening them (which they seem super bugged btw, unless im misreading it, it sounds like your going to get a bunch of items and possibly a rare one but i only ever get a single rare item, then it tells me about these bars i believe im supposed to get but i dont). When i was finished, i had 0 Zen and 400 or 500 AD (cant remember for sure). To purchase another key i need 125 Zen, so I looked in the exchange, it was at its cheapest of 465 AD to purchase ONE Zen!! To get that 125 Zen i needed, i would have to have 58,125 AD. That means at its worst, 59 days of those daily quests, and at its best, 15 days of the longer daily quests........... to open one box..... for one item..... thats barely better than anything i already have, if its even better! That, i'm sure, is part of the economic crash he's talking about. Now i've only played this game for a day (level 12 or 13), so there may be many more ways to earn that 58k AD that i'm completely oblivious too.

My 2 cents, cashed.. C ya!
  • Options
    ragerblade82ragerblade82 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Both sides are acting like morons.

Myself, as long as I can earn the things that is in the cash shop. I will do it. However, if I can't get the most out of my char because I don't pay? Well I will enjoy watching this game burn to the ground.

That is the simple truth.