test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wow, need more armor/weapon models asap

dezmerdezmer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I need more than stats to keep me excited about getting new gear! I play a tiefling wizard which is about as horrible an aesthetic combo as you can get:

Tail just completely clips through things, no regard for it at all.
Grey sweatpants forever. Hope you like them!
1 model for wizard with the pants cut off = 1-20, pants put back on 20-40, whole model 40-60?

I hope there are more in the works because this is the saddest selection of armor. I almost even bought the courtesan outfit just to have SOMETHING but then realized the burlap underwear which is not in the preview picture but part of the skin of every model shows right through it! So that's not even an option.

Help us out here!
Post edited by dezmer on

Comments

• Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm, that is disappointing. And I was expecting lots of costume/appearance stuff, given how amazing that is in Star Trek Online.

Dying clothes seems to be pretty good though - three different colors on each piece of gear, and nice rich colors. Too bad you replace gear quickly enough that you wouldn't want to dye your lv20 armor. (Now, if you could use a piece of armor in a costume slot..... ;))
  • Options
    renshaw1renshaw1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Hmm, that is disappointing. And I was expecting lots of costume/appearance stuff, given how amazing that is in Star Trek Online.

Dying clothes seems to be pretty good though - three different colors on each piece of gear, and nice rich colors. Too bad you replace gear quickly enough that you wouldn't want to dye your lv20 armor. (Now, if you could use a piece of armor in a costume slot..... ;))

You can recycle the look of old pieces onto new pieces of armour by using the change appearance option after right clicking on the armour piece. I have no idea if it transfers the dyes over or not however. That being said, a lot more different skins would be better and enable us to stand out a bit more instead of wearing the same stuff as everyone else that is the same class.
  • Options
    cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree with OP.
  • Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In the early stages, much of the stuff looks the same with some minor changes (Shoulder pads/pauldrons, etc). You do get more diversity after 30 or so, but not much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    slayer7111slayer7111 Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2013
    agree.
    when i opened a character and saw all the things that i can do with it, i was sure that im not going to see anything that looks like me...but then i entered the game just to see that everyone looks like everyone.
    so disappointing.
    you can throw all the character customizations to the garbage once you get your halmet...from lvl 20 everyone looks exectly the same.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezmer wrote: »
    I need more than stats to keep me excited about getting new gear! I play a tiefling wizard which is about as horrible an aesthetic combo as you can get:

Tail just completely clips through things, no regard for it at all.
    Grey sweatpants forever. Hope you like them!
    1 model for wizard with the pants cut off = 1-20, pants put back on 20-40, whole model 40-60?

I hope there are more in the works because this is the saddest selection of armor. I almost even bought the courtesan outfit just to have SOMETHING but then realized the burlap underwear which is not in the preview picture but part of the skin of every model shows right through it! So that's not even an option.

Help us out here!

Yeah after the epic toon makers of Champs and Star Trek using the Perfect World fashion Model is a somewhat backwards step.
  • Options
    jakula1jakula1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From Level 1 to 30 as a rogue I have had two total looks. Sucks to look like everyone else your class all the time.
  • Options
    wasaguestwasaguest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also agree with the OP. There needs to be a lot more armor variety from start to finish.

As others have already mentioned, from Champions and STO to this, it's a big step backwards in terms of variety and visual character design. Clones R Us.
  • Options
    aorin84aorin84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have had the same look on my Guardian Fighter since I hit level 8 and got my first green chest. I'm level 40 and my blue plate chest looks the exact same except the shoulders are slightly bigger. I'm obsessed with costuming and transmogrifying items normally, but in this game its just "blah" feeling until (I assume) 60. It's a shame because the artwork is so nicely done. I would love to see the art team revamp some armor appearances for not only look diversity but it benefits them by creating another AD sink in item transmogrification costs.
  • Options
    sayassayas Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ya, 40-60 is about the same as well. (Until you start getting Tier 1 Gear)
  • Options
    down2onedown2one Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure you can get plenty of outfits with Zen eventually
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    down2one wrote: »

That's what I'm personally worried about, but I think I read somewhere they would not add armor to the cash shop. Could be mistaken though.
  • Options
    jackcutlassjackcutlass Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There really needs to be alot more variation. I appreciate that they put in things like dyes and appearance altering, but they need to put in some interesting things to alter to.

The clipping on the rogue collars makes more than half the hairstyles in the game look terrible. Would be nice to get some stuff that didnt do that.
  • Options
    spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wasaguest wrote: »
    That's what I'm personally worried about, but I think I read somewhere they would not add armor to the cash shop. Could be mistaken though.

No armor with crazy stats. Aesthetic armor and clothing will most likely be in the cash shop. Actually clothes are already there.
  • Options
    am0nr3xam0nr3x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you disable helmets, like in other MMOs? Or are you forced into wearing it?
  • Options
    vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe they could add something to the foundry to allow us to design our own armor and weapon looks
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No armor with crazy stats. Aesthetic armor and clothing will most likely be in the cash shop. Actually clothes are already there.

Ahh. Thanks for the clarification.
    I have seen the clothes already, and those I feel are fine. Armor of any design though should be left as earnable content, craftable or purchasable IN game. IMO of course.
  • Options
    fallacy1fallacy1 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    At the moment, they are most likely more worried about working out all of the minor bugs and glitches that people will encounter. I don't have very much experience with this studio, but I can see they put a lot of work into the character models, so I am willing to bet they will have a wide selection of cosmetic items once the game is in full swing. It is just a matter of patience really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join Us|Officer of The Noore|Nyan Cat
  • Options
    renshaw1renshaw1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    am0nr3x wrote: »

You can hide helmets yes, simply right click the helmet and click on "hide visual effect".
  • Options
    zuluzulutozuluzuluto Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2013
    down2one wrote: »

This.

It is pretty obvious that they are going to make everything you can get in game to be washed out and bland. This will entice you to spend money in the cash shop to make your toon look "nice"
    If I havent offended you today....dont worry!!!....there's always tomorrow. Of course, you could also go to here for all I care.
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Member Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Three awful costumes.
    am0nr3x wrote: »

You can for the rogue masks, so maybe for the others too.

Anyway, Cryptic, great job on the environments, now can you spare some cash for the character and costume guys? Cuz this is lameness.

As for that quote floating around about being able to sell customizeable appearances and wrestling with the costume option and whether they should be all CO/STO style, well that's bull****.
  • Options
    zombiesxiiizombiesxiii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah Devoted Cleric here and the gear all looks the same. I'm only lvl 16 now, but I got to 30 in BW3, and my gear still looked the same as in the beginning. I always hold my breath when I get an upgrade and hope that it changes my look but...nope. The only thing it does change, is the blue-cloth on the chest from left to right or visa versa. And my weapon looks identical to the one from level 1. As for pants...I look like I'm wearing a leotard over my chain mail pants, it looks awful and as we all know, they don't seem to think people should ever change pans at all so I've gotten to keep this lovely look.
  • Options
    bigredlunchboxbigredlunchbox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is true, I am getting sick an tired of looking at my guy in the same ratty clothing. I guess they just want us to be different colours and buy costume pieces.. yeah no.. new armor models plz.
  • Options
    prymevilprymevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And how about some tarnished bloodstained gear that looks like you were hit by a truck? Like a real fighter would own. None of that uber shiny, I've been home all day polishing my gear in case I actually get in a melee <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    am0nr3xam0nr3x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    renshaw1 wrote: »
    You can hide helmets yes, simply right click the helmet and click on "hide visual effect".

That's good. Would have been a shame to spend all that time making my character look good only to be hidden behind a helmet.
  • Options
    alopexiaalopexia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16
    edited May 2013
    I agree, more armor looks would be wonderful. I went from 1-35 looking exactly the same, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the journey but the shallow part of me would really like to look "pretty" or "cool" doing so. My main is a cleric btw.

Some suggestions:
    1. I think making craftable gear have unique models would be a great idea. Always nice to feel rewarded for all those hours crafting :)

2. Shirts...I understand that for practical reasons all chainmail undershirts will looks the same, but I would love to be able to disable visual for them (we can for helms, why not shirts - unless we can and I am just clueless); or make some unique models (higher quality maybe, for RP reasons they can be made from some advanced and rare material giving them a different look).

3. Pants - they are just ugly; adding some spikes, buckles, designs to pants would be wonderful.

4. Further customization - possibly add dyes, that allow you to add a design to your armor.
  • Options
    bundinsbundins Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First off, I don't mind if fancy outfits/looks are purchases, that's fair game in a f2p game. Want purple sparkles or pauldrons the size of a small car? Pay up.

However, I do mind looking like everyone else when leveling. When I replaced my +1 chest for one labeled +2, I expected a different look. Didn't happen, had to swap between the two again to see the very slight differences. Even the colour scheme was the same. Seeing very similar characters all the time breaks immersion somewhat. MMOs have to balance the multiplayer aspect with the "everyone is the hero" story questlines, seeing visually indistinguishable toons all over town takes away some of the latter. And it's boring, makes town look less good.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's a special irony here if you ask me. Most MMOs lately have the most boring armor design. Age of Conan was plagued by "Brown Bag Armor" for a very long time. GW2 has the "Tutus and Trench Coats" dragging it's design down. Tera has... erm "lack of coverage" issues and so on. (speaking on aesthetics only)
    Cryptic has, in the past, shown great care and attention to detail to the player characters. So when I found they were doing a fantasy D&D game I instantly thought "Finally? We will have a fantasy game with great character design." doh!

Anyway, I'll move on now. Here's hoping we see more IN game earnable stuff.
  • Options
    dezmerdezmer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think something that would go a long way here would be just the ability to hide any piece of armor you want. Including, ESPECIALLY, pants/shirt since they literally never change.

Currently you can do this with the helmet and the necklace, it baffles me they didn't include it on the rest of the pieces.
  • Options
    digu21digu21 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    More capes and loincloths! Especially more loincloths! They are bloody well really amazing =)
    15.jpg