test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Outleveled a skirmish and now i cant do it anymore?

kushkokushko Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PvE Discussion
Today at level 10 i decided its time i do my first skirmish quest (the Blacklake Terror one) so i open up the queue window, queue myself up for it and it says estimated 15mins wait. So i think to myself, yah sure, thats fine...i'll just do some quests and kill some mobs while i wait. About 20minutes in nothing happened so i check my queue window and im not in a queue anymore. Was odd but oh well...i requeue and get the same 15mins estimation so i continue questing and after 10minutes i check again and im not in any queue yet again.

At this point ive lost my faith in the queue system and decide it must be some kind of weird bug, so i go to the zone i remembered everyone advertising LFG or LFM in chat, join a group there and shortly after get kicked out of the group without a single word from the leader...thats fine i guess, its a f2p game and theres bound to be people with no manners. I find a new group and shortly after that the leader informs me he can not queue the group for the skirmish because my level is too high (i was level 12 at this point).

I read around a bit and it turns out that skirmish is only available up to level 11 and after that you cant queue or enter it anymore. Is this right?

I have to say all this has really left a sour taste...it might not seem like a big deal but im a completionist and i like to read every dialogue/jurnal, check every corner and complete everything.
Post edited by kushko on

Comments

• verse4verse4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    indeed. low lvl content should (MUST) be (re)playable by high lvl chars.
    i think in STO you can do it via the foundry, so i should not be a big deal to implement this option in neverwinter as well.
  • cowcowoinkcowcowoink Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I always thought the ETA was more for the time the dungeon took and not so much the wait. Maybe when others get up higher the wait time will be more correct (at 54, wait times are still an hour+) but the dungeon/skirmish generally takes about the time it says barring any wipes. But on topic, you are right, you are stuck out of the skirmish with no way to go back. There was never an option in the CBWs and it's surprising they never included one. Running back to an earlier dungeon entrance to enter is fine. It sucks you can't queue up for it which you should be able to but I get that it's done to either run lower friends/guildies through or just to enter and stomp the lower content.
  • paragon33paragon33 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yeah...

Its kind obvious; I don't know why they overlooked it.
    Its all already done via foundry anyway; they could even use the same set up to scale it up; if they don't want to bother scaling players down. All it would take is walk up to the sight like you would a dungeon; but talk to an npc or add a portal.
    kinda of an obvious thing to overlook not adding in these kind of games. If not zone lvl / content lvl scaling at least a mentor system.

...Because this goes into something else that is a problem.
    (Its not just obvious to have for completionists but quests that open chains or that need to be completed to unlock another area of quests... or things like the bag quest(s) require an entire zone cleared... Going back for those few NPC or into a new zone you out leveled is a nightmare; like finding a needle in a haystack...
    Problem being there is no way to see out leveled quests lol. Thats seriously inconvenient. Being that ive noticed that only 2 lvls above can cause some to not been visible anymore. (That could have easily been skipped over by dungeon runs, pvp, or especially getting caught up in the foundry.)

A. They need to give Skirmishes manual entrances like dungeons or an npc and add an option to see low lvl quests.
    or
    B. Let players scale; which solves both problems.

In OPs case he's right because he cant get the achievement for zone completion w/o it... Lot of people having that issue.
  • kharma888kharma888 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a real problem. With the rate xp is given in this game, outlevelling these events is just way too easy. If you attempt to follow the story lines, and do these skirmishes at the times you are supposed to do them, you wil easily outlevel them. You almost have to do the skirmishes before you even start on the zone quests to ensure that you will be able to complete them. Add in the daily tasks that sometimes require you to finish a given skirmish or dungeon 2 or 3 times, you might not even get to complete that task either, much less get the achievement for the zone. Please consider adding a way to enter these via other means than the queue, even if you dont allow the loot to drop, just to give us completionist types the ability to get our achievements.

You already have NPCs that describe the events - coding an extra few lines to allow them to actually send a party to it shouldnt be too incredibly difficult I wouldnt think.
  • ludkrudludkrud Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Huh.........I wondered why I couldnt get in that one........
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What I do if I out-level is gain another level or two and run it with a friend and our companions, this worked in Alpha but I haven't had the chance to try it recently.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited May 2013
    I wish that would work stormdrag0n, but there is currently no way to get into the instance on skirmishes in the way you describe. You can no longer see the task in queue, and if a lower level party invites you to the instance you are immediately kicked after invite.

That works for dungeons - but sadly not for skirmishes, from what I have seen.
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've out leveled about 3/4 of the skirmishes and dungeons. At least with dungeons I can try elites at 60, though I'm nervous about pulling that off.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kharma888 wrote: »
    I wish that would work stormdrag0n, but there is currently no way to get into the instance on skirmishes in the way you describe. You can no longer see the task in queue, and if a lower level party invites you to the instance you are immediately kicked after invite.

That works for dungeons - but sadly not for skirmishes, from what I have seen.

Yep understood, glad it still works for dungeons which was my meaning, honestly skrimises should scale I'm sure there are always enough folks from each level range wanting to do them as they are hella fun.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited May 2013
    A prime example of where this is a problem:

When I first started the Neverdeath arc on my GWF, after completing the Neverwinter Hero set of tasks and 1 single pvp event for the Rhix daily quest, I was already getting the Helms Hold skirmish in my queue list. I jumped ahead and went to do that skirmish, went back and finished Neverdeath; then went to Helms Hold. That skirmish was already gone from the queue list. Ebon Downs "Defend the Temple" was already there. I hadnt even STARTED on the Helms Hold arc yet. When I did actually get through the Helms Hold arc, I had to go straight to the Idris dungeon so I wouldnt lose that from queue too, and Defend the Temple was already gone. And so forth. My first character missed 8 skirmishes because I had no idea how the queue worked. This one, Im still missing them because either the xp gains from quests are too high, or else the intended task progression is too close together.

Perhaps there just needs to be a wider level spread for skirmishes. Or perhaps there is another solution. With the current xp accrual there is no way to stay in the quest lines and manage to participate in these events unless you jump around between zones or do not do a single daily task (and even then Im not sure you could stay within the windows).

Im sure that this is not intended.
    edited May 2013
    Bump this in hopes that someone will see and address it. Not holding my breath at this point though.
  • aggropotatoaggropotato Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Explicitly spelling out the level ranges for each skirmish might help as a quickfix.
    JtuEMvw.jpg
    edited May 2013
    The tool tip in the queue does explain level ranges, if Im not mistaken. The main issue/problem is that its far too easy to outlevel those ranges without breaking immersion and hopping between areas before you are intended to do so. That and the fact that you dont see the level ranges unless you highlight the skirmish in question and read the description.

I dont want to have to jump to a whole different zone just to finish the skirmish before i complete the previous arc. I just cant believe that this is an intended mechanic.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Moving to the feedback section.

It is a true bummer to level past skirmishes (and dungeons)
    For instance I know level 30-40 just flies by and has been my main 'awe I missed it' area.
    edited May 2013
    And this problem continues, my character isnt even 3/4 to the end of the Velosk theme and the pirate theme skirmish and dungeon are in my queue list. By the time I actually finish this arc those will be gone more than likely. Quests just give too much xp, I think.
  • shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had this issue, mostly with dungeons however. It starts around lvl 30 (or did for me) when I entered Helm's hold and left that area at lvl 38. I have a friend who only hit lvl 35 in the same area, but they do not do any daily's. I think that is sort of where the problem comes in, you can do one or the other but not both.

I don't see any reason why for instance the Mad Dragon dungeon cannot be done from lvl 30 to lvl 40 (it's classed as lvl 35), and if you want to limit the range even more make it available 32-38. Though it is given at lvl 30, so 32-38 is more about adjusting it around it's level range. In that same range falls 3 other dungeons.

Because who long a dungeon takes I tend to do more skirmishes then dungeons (3 skirmishes in the time of 1 dungeon typically). So I find it easier to grab a bit of time for skirmishes when the daily skirmish event comes through. On that note, since dungeons take longer maybe the daily reward should be upped? I can do three runs through the Greater Golem ending undead skirmish or the pit fight skirmish quicker then a single run of a dungeon and I'm less likely to die (and so don't need to worry about injuries).

I would not say however that quests give to much xp. They just don't figure in doing dailies.
    edited May 2013
    I have to respectfully disagree. My character has done 1 single daily task, and that was a single pvp run. I had run into this issue on my first character and was trying very hard to avoid it on this run through. It just isnt likely/possible to finish a theme, do the skirmish or dungeon at the point you should be doing it (for most areas you should, in theory, be doing the skirmish toward the middle and the dungeon towards the end since this matches up with the mob levels and the level windows of the tasks in the queue). This is either a result of too much xp accrual from the mobs themselves, too much xp from the quest rewards, or poor spacing of the level ranges for the tasks in question.

Regardless, this needs to be re-thought out. It's kind of ticking me off and Im sure Im not the only one. A lot of folks probably dont care. But I am sure there are many like me, that would like to get the area completion titles for each area on their character.
  • setidayetisetidayeti Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Absolutely fix that! Add STO-like upward scalability. Its our problem, as players, if we are queuing for Clock Tower at lvl 59 and NOBODY is, but allow us to do it. Moreover, please do relax those level restrictions by at least a COUPLE of levels. They are way too tight given how fast XP is gained.
  • meithrasmeithras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kharma888 wrote: »
    I have to respectfully disagree. My character has done 1 single daily task, and that was a single pvp run. I had run into this issue on my first character and was trying very hard to avoid it on this run through. It just isnt likely/possible to finish a theme, do the skirmish or dungeon at the point you should be doing it (for most areas you should, in theory, be doing the skirmish toward the middle and the dungeon towards the end since this matches up with the mob levels and the level windows of the tasks in the queue). This is either a result of too much xp accrual from the mobs themselves, too much xp from the quest rewards, or poor spacing of the level ranges for the tasks in question.

Regardless, this needs to be re-thought out. It's kind of ticking me off and Im sure Im not the only one. A lot of folks probably dont care. But I am sure there are many like me, that would like to get the area completion titles for each area on their character.

QFT. For those of us who actually care about things like story, etc., it is particularly grating that we almost inevitably have to run skirmishes and dungeons before their appropriate time in the story arc, or risk not running them at all.
  • zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Long story short I out leveled a skirmish tonight, while waiting it the queue, and might not ever see that content.

This is a pretty lame setup they have here. We should be allowed to form our own groups for skirmishes so we don't have to wait forever in queues. Skirmishes should work like dungeons and have an access point you can enter manually.

Cryptic, do you really want players to miss content?
  • m333zzm333zz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have the exact same problem with some skirmishes. It's bad, 1.) I can't get some titles, because of this mess and 2.) nothing has been changed since beginning until official release (of this beta software)... Look at the quest protocol, select the 2nd tab and check the 1st mark below. Now you can see all missing quests for titles etc. And I assume this could be fixed in a couple of minutes, just change the levelrange from 1-60 for all skimrishes and done.
  • eag1e67eag1e67 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I got that a few times.What's worse is i get a few quests from the same area to do, do them all then go to turn them in only to see it grayed out so it means i CAN'T turn it in
  • thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    setidayeti wrote: »
    Absolutely fix that! Add STO-like upward scalability. Its our problem, as players, if we are queuing for Clock Tower at lvl 59 and NOBODY is, but allow us to do it. Moreover, please do relax those level restrictions by at least a COUPLE of levels. They are way too tight given how fast XP is gained.

You can't queue but can still enter dungeons you out-leveled manually, with or without a party.
  • ghostmatterghostmatter Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just learned that I can't rejoin a queue for a skirmish I just outleved. So now there's NO way for me to do it. I find this ridiculous! It's incredibly frustrating.

On top of fixing that, I think leveling should be slowed down a bit too.
  • derpindorderpindor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yea..

Why not just make entrances for each skirmish zone or area? Make it so that any level can enter it as long as they're with a premade party. Just like what we have for dungeons..
  • ghostmatterghostmatter Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There's already contacts for skirmishes that explain what they are. It would be easy to add options to start a skirmish to their dialogue.
  • morsbanemorsbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They could just make the higher levels level down, like they do in PVP.
  • jwiechersjwiechers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They could also just add "Epic skirmishes" which allow Level 60 characters to do the same content again.

This is absolutely needed. :-(
  • morsbanemorsbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    After waiting in the Queue for 2hrs in the Skirmish, They should really implement a way to go back to skirmish. As a DPS we are always over populated and they give it to tanks, even though tanks aren't "that" needed in low level skirmishes. i cant move on to the next level cause i need to complete my skirmish or its gone forever :/
  • choranthchoranth Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    derpindor wrote: »
    Yea..

Why not just make entrances for each skirmish zone or area? Make it so that any level can enter it as long as they're with a premade party. Just like what we have for dungeons..

I completely agree with that. Not being able to get all the quests (because one of those is "complete this skirmish") or all the skirmishes (because outleveling) is bad. I'm fine with fast exping but I'd like to get all my achievements...