test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thorin's Mighty Axe - GWF Guide

fcrowlesfcrowles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Edit 5/11 : Updated PvP guide.

Hey there. I'm Thorin from MindFlayer server. I am a level 60 Great Weapon Fighter. I read these forums from time to time and I always see people struggling and complaining with GWF. I would like to do my best to help you out! If you have any questions feel free to ask me in game. Thorin@Fcrowles

Leveling up:
This is what people seem to regret the most. I personally didn't have any troubles. My first death was level 51 so I'll do my best to share my experience. Keep in mind I did not do any dungeons passed 30, it took too long to get into one at the rate I was leveling. This is also a guide for people who have the legacy weapon because that is the path I took.

Level 1-5 : Intro
Face stomp opponents and as soon as you finish the sewer quest pick up your mail. Legacy weapon!

Levels 5-16 : Roflstomp Mode
The legacy weapon is ridiculously powerful. Just equip skills as you get them, try them all out. AoE works wonders with this weapon. No real strategy here, you should overpower everyone you face against.

Levels 16-25 : Cleric Mode
As soon as you get 16 pick up the cleric companion. She will make your life so much easier. She will save you butt loads on potions. I understand how cool the dire wolf is but the cleric is just so much more useful. Your encounters don't really matter at this point because the cleric will keep you running. Focus the adds first, use wicked strike at-will for 3+ monsters an Sure strike for 1-2. I recommend using Avalanche of Steel as your daily. It will save you in a big pull and destroy everything. It also looks awesome.

Levels 25-30: Dying of old age
These were the hell levels for me. They weren't hard but you fight bandits and bandits use potions. The fights are long and tedious. The cleric should still keep you alive, you might have to start using potions at this point. On gear try to focus on defense, power, and regen/life steal. Continue using Avalanche of Steel for solo. For encounters I use single target encounters. Restoring strike, Takedown and Mighty Leap for a AoE. I'd sprint into a crowd, if there are a lot of weak enemies I use Restoring strike and Takedown on the tough one, then go into Unstoppable and spam wicked strike until the weak ones are at about 40% Then I use mighty leap to finish them before they use a potion or a scroll of healing.

Levels 30-50: Time to shine
These levels were MADE for a Great Weapon Fighter. Tons of weak enemies all piled up in small groups. Use Weapon master strike in place of wicked strike and only use it when there are 3+ enemies. It's beastly. The cleric will save you on tons of potions and basically keep your health full after a fight. These were the fastest easiest levels for my GWF and I ran through things faster than a CW and a TR. I replace Mighty Leap with Flourish and keep the other two. I enter a fight and use my single targets on the big guy, then spam the WMS to kill the little ones then when the cooldowns are over on my encounters I use them on the big guy once more.

Levels 50-55 : Hell
These were the hardest levels by far ever for me. The fire mountain took SO many potions I lost about 10 gold. The cleric was now so weak she wasn't even worth using. I switched to the Dire wolf to get him to level 30. I think using a tank companion would be better or an AoE one. Everything in this area sucks for GWF. Lots of point blank AOE, ground AOE, Aura AOE. All I can recommend is use potions. I used the same encounters. I switched my daily to slam once you get the 5 points in battle awareness. It's all about getting into unstoppable and killing as much as you can before it runs out using AoE. When they are down to single target you can chain CC them with Takedown and Flourish, kiting if you need to.

Levels 55-60: Downhill
These levels became much easier. The drow come in large groups and Slam + WMS + Unstoppable just destroys them. I use the same build, just less potions. Oh, I replaced Takedown with Indomitable battle strike.

End game:

Strategy: Stay in unstoppable as long as possible. Unstoppable raises action point gain faster than any other class. Slam + Unstoppable + WMS is crazy damage.

Build:
Feats -
Heroic :
Unstoppable Action - 5/5 - Bread and Butter of the build.
Endless Assault - 3/3 - More damage on encounters the better.
Disciple of Strength -3/3 - More damage the better.
Steely Defense - 5/5 - More power more benefit from Slam
Devastating Critical - 3/3 - A lot of attacks means a lot of crits
Weapon Mastery 1/3 - Nothing else to put it in

Destroyer:
Great Weapon Focus - 5/5 - GWS is your primary damage tool.
Deep Gash - 5/5 - More damage from crits, can't complain.
Staying Power - 5/5 - Weapon Master strike is awesome.
Battle Awareness - 5/5 - 25% more power? So Whaaa
Destroyer's purpose - 1/1 - Faster unstoppable the better

Sentinel:
Student of the Sword - 5/5 - Now you're increasing everyone elses damage by 15%, awesome.
Powerful Challenge - 5/5 - 15% more damage sounds nice.

Passives:
Steel Blitz - Chance of extra attack means faster action points and more determination.
Steadfast Determination - If you have a decent GF you won't be taking many hits so this is good.

Encounters:
Flourish - Very nice damage when it crits.
Indomitable Battle Strike - When you are AOEing a bunch of weaklings use this to finish one off.
Daring Shout - This increases your determination like CRAZY, decreases their resistance and increases your dmg.

Daily:
Slam - All you ever need and should use in any situation.
Crescendo - Really pretty, but that's about it.

At Will:
Sure Strike - 1-2 Targets
Weapon Master Strike - 3+ Targets

Gear:
Priority 1 : Power - More power means more benefit from Slam.
Priority 2: Recovery - Faster cooldowns means faster action points
Priority 3: Defense - Raises power.

Personal Experience:
I usually score second in the DPS charts. Its rare I'll beat a TR, not impossible but rare. I usually beat CW unless they outgear me like crazy. I'm only at a 7000 gear score. Indomitable can crit for about 14-15k which is impressive to me, not sure what rogues crit for. I've main tanked heroic dungeons with this build I change Daring Shout for Come and Get it and I can usually hold threat, not so much on single targets, but clerics are beasts.

PvP:
Passives - Steel Defense, Steel Blitz
Encounters - Flourish, Indomitable battle strike, Takedown
Dailies - Crescendo, Slam

If you want to focus on PvP remove the 10 points from Sentinel and put them in Instigator. Take 5/5 Unstoppable Recovery and 5/5 Stunning Flourish.

Strategy - Run in, initiate with flourish. The one second stun will let you land a takedown with it being dodged. When hes proned hit him with he Indomitable battle strike. This will nearly kill anyone squishy if you are geared. If you have your daily finish him with Crescendo.

Stay with the cleric and CW. Keep the rogues off them. Rogue is your easiest kill. You are not rambo. Don't charge in and tank. If you are fighting a melee use sprint to put distance between you two while you're waiting on cooldowns.

...vs Rogue - This is your ideal target. Everyone else struggles on Rogues. You sir, do not. Start with a Flourish. It cant be dodged. He's now stunned, hit him with the takedown, hes now proned, then hit him with the indomitable. He should be very low or dead. If you can kill him quickly side step and sure strike him to death. If hes at half or so then sprint away. He will follow. Wait for flourish and repeat. Crescendo as needed.

...vs Control Wizards - This is a tough fight. You have to eat his first wave of control effects and sprint towards him. He will usually flash away. After his second flash hit him with all 3 encounters, then pop unstoppable and keep right on his tail. Save Crescendo for when he is low or Slam if you don't think it will finish him.

..vs Guardian Fighters - I usually don't fight them, they take too long to kill and aren't much of a threat.

..vs Cleric - Hardest match up. You have a very brief window to kill one. Eat their encounters, pop slam, unstoppable and all 3 encounters right away and unload. If you don't kill them before their cooldowns reset or slam wears off you're better off running.
Post edited by fcrowles on

Comments

• Options
    kgl7kgl7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    subbed and looking good! great small guide on levels too.
  • Options
    guktergukter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looks good. What do you think of Kartofflens guide and could you two work on one together perhaps? http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?159741-Kartofflens-GWF-destroyer-compendium
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think it's a good thing there's two seperate on the forum already. It makes for interesting reads from two different players.

Would be cool to see one in the future, but now it's good to have different experiences, as everyone really has their own experience with the game.
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm on the fence about Recovery vs. Armor Penetration. I think its more something I will have to get the equipment and actually test.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    asaviosasavios Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's almost the exact same build I wanted to post too^^ Well you were faster by a few minutes :)
    Marginal mistake I found in your heroic feats: you spent only 19 points. guess you wanted to write 2/3 Weapon Mastery.
  • Options
    skylaxmaxskylaxmax Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    can you post the powers? i really need help to choose them...please post your build of powers it will help me a lot!
    thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    skylaxmax wrote: »
    can you post the powers? i really need help to choose them...please post your build of powers it will help me a lot!
    thanks!

He did post powers.
  • Options
    rogosh69rogosh69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is recovery really that good for pvp though, as you get ccd alot. I know this isnt a pvp guide but I would imagine armor pen would be be better for that reason alone in pvp.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kgl7 wrote: »
    He did post powers.
    where? i dont see...i just see the "feats"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    skylaxmax wrote: »
    where? i dont see...i just see the "feats"

You truely haven't read it then.
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you cant 'compare' recovery and armor penetration they do completely different things

armor penetration helps you do closer to true damage on foes with damage mitigation to physical attacks. power increases your damage in general.

1k power will do more damage than 500 power and 500 arpen on zero mitigation trash mobs, but 500 power 500 arpen will day way more damage on high mitigation boss mobs and such
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    please if you can post the powers i will appreciate that!
  • Options
    ryhsryhs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is it a mistake to put all your points into STR at level 10,20,40 and 50?
  • Options
    fcrowlesfcrowles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    I'm on the fence about Recovery vs. Armor Penetration. I think its more something I will have to get the equipment and actually test.

I think its true that armor pen will increase your damage over recovery BUT recovery gets slam going faster and I believe 25% more power will increase your damage more than any amount of armor pen.
  • Options
    fishcowfishcow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not a bad build, though I build my GWF on more of a max DPS using AW and Daily skill. Unstoppable can be nice, but not the main focus. Allows me to always be second on the damage board and out damage other GWF with better gears.
    Je Bus is here to save you! (⊙ω⊙)
  • Options
    daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So what do I have to do exactly to get the legacy weapon? I checked my mail and all I got was some dye.....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You have to be a founder. 60 dollars or 200 dollars. The 200 dollars also gives you a good level 60 epic weapon.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    fishcow wrote: »
    Not a bad build, though I build my GWF on more of a max DPS using AW and Daily skill. Unstoppable can be nice, but not the main focus. Allows me to always be second on the damage board and out damage other GWF with better gears.

Whats your build and What is AW?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    At least 10 characters
  • Options
    foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel someone gypped that there are no axes for dwarf gwf's to use... or at least none that I have seen anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I feel someone gypped that there are no axes for dwarf gwf's to use... or at least none that I have seen anyway.

There is one, its for astral diamonds at the vendor. There's also a club that drops a lot in Heroic Cloak Tower
  • Options
    foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wonder how big it is, and does it clip into the ground like the swords do.
  • Options
    pinkiepie17pinkiepie17 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My question is this, why don't you use master strike for one target to debuff a single target? Then use encounters to increase damage, remember there's a talent that allows your encounters to be increased in damage if you debuff first, and it lasts for a very long time. I can hit at least two rotations of Sure strike and use an encounter if I wanted too, then master strike again. The damage is not decrease cause sure strike and master strike almost have the same damage, the difference is 20 maybe 30 damage difference
    pinkamena_d__pie_signatur_iii_by_grumbeerkopp-d4uncp9.jpg
    Pinkamena Diane Pie - Great Warrior Fighter
    One, two, Pinkie's coming for you, three, four, you better lock your door, five, six, grab your crucifix, seven, eight, gonna stay up late, nine, ten, never party again.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I wonder how big it is, and does it clip into the ground like the swords do.

I play a dwarf and its not that big. The glow isnt as impressive when you enchant it but it does look like you would expect a real great axe to look like.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    My question is this, why don't you use master strike for one target to debuff a single target? Then use encounters to increase damage, remember there's a talent that allows your encounters to be increased in damage if you debuff first, and it lasts for a very long time. I can hit at least two rotations of Sure strike and use an encounter if I wanted too, then master strike again. The damage is not decrease cause sure strike and master strike almost have the same damage, the difference is 20 maybe 30 damage difference
    Because you can almost use 3 full sure strikes before you finish one WMS. It has a very slow attack speed and I find you get MORE damage by just using sure strike than from bonus damage with WMS. Most encounters are WMS anyway. Its very rare there is just 1 monster, even on bosses.
  • Options
    pinkiepie17pinkiepie17 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fcrowles wrote: »
    Because you can almost use 3 full sure strikes before you finish one WMS. It has a very slow attack speed and I find you get MORE damage by just using sure strike than from bonus damage with WMS. Most encounters are WMS anyway. Its very rare there is just 1 monster, even on bosses.

have you've done the math on this? cause my Flourish hits for 3500-3700 crit with WMS debuff up, without it, its at least 2800-2900. i'm level 42 with 2k power, that's a BIG gain just to put the debuff up through alot of effort

Edit: IF you are wondering how I got that much power, I use only gear with power and defense on it, even have a level 28 bracers that have 175 power on it. Anytime I lose power I seem to lose damage by alot, and the gear I get keeps getting in quests are me reflection/armor pen/recover/defense. >.<:
    pinkamena_d__pie_signatur_iii_by_grumbeerkopp-d4uncp9.jpg
    Pinkamena Diane Pie - Great Warrior Fighter
    One, two, Pinkie's coming for you, three, four, you better lock your door, five, six, grab your crucifix, seven, eight, gonna stay up late, nine, ten, never party again.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    have you've done the math on this? cause my Flourish hits for 3500-3700 crit with WMS debuff up, without it, its at least 2800-2900. i'm level 42 with 2k power, that's a BIG gain just to put the debuff up through alot of effort

Edit: IF you are wondering how I got that much power, I use only gear with power and defense on it, even have a level 28 bracers that have 175 power on it. Anytime I lose power I seem to lose damage by alot, and the gear I get keeps getting in quests are me reflection/armor pen/recover/defense. >.<:

I can't do exact math because I don't have a parser. Its hard to say. I will say this. If you get a crit with indomitable or Flourish with the WMF then it's totally worth it to keep WMF debuff on. If not I'd have to say from looking at the numbers spamming sure strike is higher damage. I tried on the dummies, but I have so many things that proc from swings I get a lot of extra damage from attack more times. Enchantment damage, crit DoT, ect.
  • Options
    decay6577decay6577 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just out of curiosity, have you seen any weapons besides Greatswords for GWFs? I'd much prefer to use a mace or an axe but even looking in the auction house, all 400 GWF weapons across all levels were greatswords :\ Maybe they don't show up till later level or something since I'm only 12 atm.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    decay6577 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, have you seen any weapons besides Greatswords for GWFs? I'd much prefer to use a mace or an axe but even looking in the auction house, all 400 GWF weapons across all levels were greatswords :\ Maybe they don't show up till later level or something since I'm only 12 atm.

There are three others. One is a club from a boss in early Cloak Tower. Another is a axe from the astral diamond vendor. The third is a level 80 blue version of the club from Heroic Cloak Tower.
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i read in this and another guide to use sure strike on single targets instead of WMS.

i call BS my damage was less - not to mention you need to be 'locked in' for 4 full strikes to get the proper damage out of it and you cant afford that in most boss fights and dungeons because you need the mobility.

the only place you would trade sure strike out of wicked strike is on bosses to increase your single target dps on them. thats not your job any way and you should be peeling and doing heavy aoe dps on trash mobs.

sure strike is useless when you get wms