test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Completely Lost

pwregsuckspwregsucks Member Posts: 17 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
OK, I've been an MMO veteran since I beta-tested Ultima Online, but this game has confused the @%!# out of me:

-How do you turn off mouselook? I can't stand it

-Zoom doesn't seem to work, either

-The die rolls at character creation are "fixed" in odd ways; for example, it simply will not allow you to start a cleric with both high STR and decent CON, similarly for Rogue with DEX and CON, etc

-I can't fight with my cleric, someone said I need a weapon but the only thing I got at the beach was a stupid holy icon, and I built her to melee

-Is there a point to the rogue class, at all? What traps there are might as well not even be there, I'm not running into hidden doors or locked chests; it seems like they could have made ranger instead and gotten the same effect

I mean, it's a one-dimensional ARPG with other people running around on top of you, but they could have puit SOME effort into it.
Post edited by pwregsucks on

Comments

• Options
    breathabreatha Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You mad, Bro?
    -Breatha, the fat and sassy Dwarf
  • Options
    mikael74mikael74 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    breatha wrote: »
    You mad, Bro?

I think that he is furious so you better watch out. ;)

And yes the dice rolls at the character creation are fixed.

It's actually a limited set of dice rolls but just pick the set of dice rolls that works best for you.
    I play as a control wizard and when it comes down to it... it's all about the freeze.
  • Options
    descedentdescedent Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    you realize this isn't a tab target mmo and it's like a 3rd person shooter right?
  • Options
    vaultfairyvaultfairy Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Where to begin.... o.O
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    descedent wrote: »
    you realize this isn't a tab target mmo and it's like a 3rd person shooter right?

What does that mean, and what does it have to do with anything I posted about?
  • Options
    xen1912xen1912 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well the point of rouge is to sneak...
    Cleric isn't melee its ranged....
    You can add 2 stats into any stat you chose at the roll page, that's about it.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    breatha wrote: »
    You mad, Bro?

I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO PLAY THE GAME.

Thanks for coming in and being a %@#!, though.
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pwregsucks wrote: »

Seriously do some research in your first mmo before you look like a fool.
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    1) You can not. The combat is based on action RPGs. Not tab targetting nonsense.
    2) Odd, I know. You get used to it though.
    3) Why would you want to? 4E uses fixed classes, and this game makes them even more static.
    4) You can't do that with the current Cleric, classes are restricted to a certain build from the 4E ruleset.
    5) They're the highest single target damage output, traps are just trivial obstacles.

This game is based loosely on the 4E ruleset. Its classes are set in stone and you can not change your weapon type like you can in the PnP games. Especially not like you would in 3.5E, for example.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    xen1912 wrote: »
    Well the point of rouge is to sneak...
    Cleric isn't melee its ranged....
    You can add 2 stats into any stat you chose at the roll page, that's about it.

OK, haven't seen any reason to sneak, but whatever.

As for the cleric, are you saying that there is no way to actually fight?
  • Options
    athalel1athalel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ehhh did you even look at the boxes in the tutorial?
  • Options
    vorphevorphe Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2013
    I don't really care for 'mouselook' either but I'm not angry, first day of open beta and I'm sure they will continue to improve/make changes. I don't see why some are angry about this, it's way too early. P.S. I am very pleased with my rogue's rolls. In the old paper D&D game who ever started out with all 20's without cheating anyways :)
  • Options
    breathabreatha Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, you might want to read some of the forums about how each character works, that is always helpful.

And ya, I'm an ***. I could give ******* lessons. Want some?
    -Breatha, the fat and sassy Dwarf
  • Options
    digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    The current cleric version we have in-game uses the Holy Symbols for ranged combat. As I said before, it's not your PnP 3.5 cleric, it's a 4E Devoted Cleric stuck in its role.

As for Rogue sneaking, it adds to some skills their effects.
  • Options
    mikael74mikael74 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I actually prefer mouselook with no Tab targeting when playing my Wizard.

I am 38.
    I play as a control wizard and when it comes down to it... it's all about the freeze.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    for rouge. your damage is increased if you sneak, and you get other power bonuses while in sneak. very important in pvp and level 25+ gameplay. as for cleric. your only weapon is a holy symbol, a holy symbol is like a staff. you use your powers to throw things at your enemies. I don't see how that's not clear.

• Options
    thiagomagthiagomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited April 2013

Press B to to have a "look" at your character, but other than that, the game uses crosshairs for attacks and such. It's only a matter of getting used to it (sorry if this isn't quite what you meant. That's how I interpreted your question).
    -Zoom doesn't seem to work, either

You cannot zoom in under normal circumstances. Only way to do so is by pressing B, but then, you cannot fight while in this mode.
    -The die rolls at character creation are "fixed" in odd ways; for example, it simply will not allow you to start a cleric with both high STR and decent CON, similarly for Rogue with DEX and CON, etc

It will eventually roll high numbers together will low numbers. It's just a matter of getting lucky with rolls. This seems to be a tribute to D&D character creation.
    -I can't fight with my cleric, someone said I need a weapon but the only thing I got at the beach was a stupid holy icon, and I built her to melee

You will eventually gain the At-will skills to fight. Just progress a little further and you will get your first At-will
    -Is there a point to the rogue class, at all? What traps there are might as well not even be there, I'm not running into hidden doors or locked chests; it seems like they could have made ranger instead and gotten the same effect

Traps really need a boost IMO... I agree that they're a bit pointless, but YMMV. I don't know how the behave at higher levels...

Although, you CAN set up hidden doors/locked chests that only TRs can unlock, if anything.

Currently, TRs are the top DPS class. And that's pretty much it.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So, not only is there no multiclassing, but you can't even customize the class you do pick?

LAME.
  • Options
    kelteelkelteel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vorphe wrote: »
    P.S. I am very pleased with my rogue's rolls. In the old paper D&D game who ever started out with all 20's without cheating anyways :)

There are no rolls, you just toggle between fixed sets. http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?78361-Ability-Scores-List-of-all-possible-rolled-combinations is a list of all possibilities.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So, not only is there no multiclassing, but you can't even customize the class you do pick?

LAME.
    Sadly, yes. It's not a direct copy/paste of DnD. It's a loose (even further) simplified version of the 4E ruleset.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    thiagomag wrote: »
    It will eventually roll high numbers together will low numbers. It's just a matter of getting lucky with rolls. This seems to be a tribute to D&D character creation.

Nope; I spent all afternoon trying to get both 16 STR and 12 CON on a cleric, and it simply would not let it happen.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You can customize later on with paragon paths, that's mostly it.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    xen1912 wrote: »
    You can customize later on with paragon paths, that's mostly it.

That is truly pathetic.
  • Options
    kelteelkelteel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nope; I spent all afternoon trying to get both 16 STR and 12 CON on a cleric, and it simply would not let it happen.

If you want 12 CON then you can only have a max of 14 STR.
    15 WIS, 14 STR, 13 CHAR, 12 INT, 12 CON, 11 DEX is the closest you get to your desired ability points or 16 WIS 15 STR 13 CHAR 11 INT 11 CON 9 DEX
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    kelteel wrote: »
    If you want 12 CON then you can only have a max of 14 STR.
    15 WIS, 14 STR, 13 CHAR, 12 INT, 12 CON, 11 DEX is the closest you get to your desired ability points.

Yea, and even if that weren't WAY too much WIS and CHA, I still can't build the way I want.

Why do they even let you pretend to roll?
  • Options
    kingeyeballkingkingeyeballking Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow you guys fall too easily for troll bait.
  • Options
    mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    the mouse look is annoying also, i keep holding down right mouse to move teh camera and shield bashing the air.

you get used to it
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    the mouse look is annoying also, i keep holding down right mouse to move teh camera and shield bashing the air.

you get used to it

I keep trying to click on buttons or close annoying pop-up windows and wind up just spinning around.

I don't think that I will be here long enough to get used to it.
  • Options
    vikinggamervikinggamer Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    -In an action combat game such as this you need to aim your attacks rather than tabbing to a target. Having a forced mouselook is really the best way to handle this sort of thing. It doesn't take as long to get used to as you would think. It bugged me at first as well in Tera.

-hit B to enter examine mode if you want to zoom in and view your armor better or zoom all the way in for a screenshot. But you can't adjust for combat unfortunately.

-The die "rolls" are static. you randomly get a limited set of "rolls" that you can choose from by rolling again. They roughly approximate a point buy system so if you want the highest possible number in your best stat then you will have less points over all. Also, your best number will always be assigned to your primary stat and your next two best numbers will always go to your secondary stats. This is so you can't every completely gimp your character. They don't use true die rolls because people would spend hours rolling and rerolling until they got perfect 18s all the way across.

-This is a devoted cleric. They are intended to be ranged caster healers with a minor in controlling. What you are wanting is a Battle Cleric. Lots of people are asking for them and they are a very iconic build for DnD so don't worry, you will get them in time. I would bet, within the year. If you just hate the devoted cleric you should probably just play something else until the add the battle cleric.

-great dps, steath, disabling traps, cool looks?
    I mean, it's a one-dimensional ARPG with other people running around on top of you, but they could have puit SOME effort into it.

But if this is your attitude then you have already made your decision.

All die, so die well.
  • Options
    rasereiamokrasereiamok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited April 2013
    So I really gave a lot of thought to spending 59.99 on the game to play early. I factored in a few things and finally decided to get it. This was before I ever played the game.

After a few hours of gameplay, I am level 11 on a guardian fighter and I must say, this is one of the best MMO's thathas launched in a long time. Probably the past 5 years... The combat reminds me of Tera (Good thing because Tera is a good game also)...

The thing that really got me was a few things actually:

1.) Crafting... I loved the crafting in Star Wars: The Old Republic and BAM! We have a system very similar! AWESOME!

2.) Companions! I LOVE PETS! Now we all get pets!!!!!

3.) Foundry! So I was questing and randomly found a guy who offered PLAYER MADE quests. It then brought me to a dungeon and I was rewarded handsomely for it. It even gave me the option to TIP the quest/dungeon maker for his hard work. I love this system.

I have yet to try out PvP or official dungeons or even scratch end-game but so far, the game has been worth 59.99 for me just after seeing the game design.

9/10 A+ Great job Cryptic!
    I'm the #1 MMORPG player in the universe!