test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Completely Lost

2»

Comments

• thewobeythewobey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pwregsucks wrote: »
    OK, I've been an MMO veteran since I beta-tested Ultima Online, but this game has confused the @%!# out of me:

-How do you turn off mouselook? I can't stand it

-Zoom doesn't seem to work, either

Attacks are based of where your mouse is pointed, or where your "looking" you can not disable this and function in combat, so it is not toggle off able. You can zoom in and out if you press "b" (by default).
    -The die rolls at character creation are "fixed" in odd ways; for example, it simply will not allow you to start a cleric with both high STR and decent CON, similarly for Rogue with DEX and CON, etc

-I can't fight with my cleric, someone said I need a weapon but the only thing I got at the beach was a stupid holy icon, and I built her to melee

The rolls, are balanced in a way so you can't have multi stats really high, the best choice of action is pick whatever your class requires the most, and get it high. (or spread them even)

Cleric's are not a melee class, there actions are based off the holy symbol they use. So you can not equip a mace, or a sword for example. There is no "auto attack" like most mmo's this is action based game not a tab target auto attack game. You need to get use to that fact.

-Is there a point to the rogue class, at all? What traps there are might as well not even be there, I'm not running into hidden doors or locked chests; it seems like they could have made ranger instead and gotten the same effect.

Every class has a specific skill that allows them to open a specific resource node in dungeons. IE clerics can open divine nodes, mages arcane. Rogues, do not have a special "open lock" ability, but they do have a class specific node.

Rogues are high melee dps characters, that has stealth. Each class has its strong points and small points, throw out what you think you know and look at the classes with fresh eyes, as to what they get.
  • pwregsuckspwregsucks Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013

-This is a devoted cleric. They are intended to be ranged caster healers with a minor in controlling. What you are wanting is a Battle Cleric. Lots of people are asking for them and they are a very iconic build for DnD so don't worry, you will get them in time. I would bet, within the year. If you just hate the devoted cleric you should probably just play something else until the add the battle cleric.

Then they not only missed the point, they don't even understand the background that the point is based on:

I don't want to click on a box that says, "Battle cleric;" I want to build my cleric to be a melee character MYSELF.

Similarly with the die rolls; I don't want the game to prevent me from making a gimp character. I want to be able to make something that doesn't work at all, because if you can't do that, then you can't make your character meaningfully better than any other character in any way.

We all get to play the same thing, how much more boring can you get?

-great dps, steath, disabling traps, cool looks?

....in a game that requires none of those things?

But if this is your attitude then you have already made your decision.

I have been looking forward to this game since it was announced; whatever units they use to measure disappointment, my value would have at least a "mega-" prefix.
  • pwregsuckspwregsucks Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thewobey wrote: »
    Attacks are based of where your mouse is pointed, or where your "looking" you can not disable this and function in combat, so it is not toggle off able. You can zoom in and out if you press "b" (by default).

The rolls, are balanced in a way so you can't have multi stats really high, the best choice of action is pick whatever your class requires the most, and get it high. (or spread them even)

Cleric's are not a melee class, there actions are based off the holy symbol they use. So you can not equip a mace, or a sword for example. There is no "auto attack" like most mmo's this is action based game not a tab target auto attack game. You need to get use to that fact.

Every class has a specific skill that allows them to open a specific resource node in dungeons. IE clerics can open divine nodes, mages arcane. Rogues, do not have a special "open lock" ability, but they do have a class specific node.

Rogues are high melee dps characters, that has stealth. Each class has its strong points and small points, throw out what you think you know and look at the classes with fresh eyes, as to what they get.

No, I think I'll just hold on to what I think I know and go and play D&D.

Thanks for trying, guys, but this game has officially lost me.
  • sepheresephere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's like a shooter (an fps run&gun game) with targeting, if you've played one before, than it's easier to get used to the targeting

As for the clerics issue of being ranged, it's meant to be magic based ranged caster,
    paladins (what you might be thinking of, they're melee based healers),
    might come into the game later, since they said they plan on making more classes, who knows
  • thewobeythewobey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Its not your cup of tea that's fine, but this game is in open beta, only has 5 of the classes out, there will be a more "battle cleric" orinated character, however the way the game is set up and balanced you can just make a blank character and do what you want. (other games let you do that not this one) you need to choose what you want out of the options you are given.

You will never find a game that lets you free form as much as a table top game of D&D is. Don't look at this as that. Look at this like a video game, that you need to play by the games rules.

Its based on D&D it is not D&D.
  • iamphausiamphaus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    No, I think I'll just hold on to what I think I know and go and play D&D.

Thanks for trying, guys, but this game has officially lost me.

Lost you? by the looks of it you never even looked into it to understand the game's basic mechanics. It never had you.
    Common sense is hard to come by around here it seems..
  • sefeniasefenia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    Perhaps you should pay attention to the tutorial? Research how classes work, as in which classes can be melee and which are ranged. I'm sorry you're frustrated, dude, but relax, take a deep breath and try not to rage.
    vn7W95H.png
  • altodarraltodarr Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    Just take a step back and literally <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> your own face.

Thanks.
  • dariuscstarrdariuscstarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    May I just point out the OP's join date as evidence of complete trolling. Also, I'm sure I recognise the name, didn't he used to have the big P2W sign as his avatar all through pre-beta and was continuously bashing the game?
    9.jpg
  • vikinggamervikinggamer Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Then they not only missed the point, they don't even understand the background that the point is based on:

I don't want to click on a box that says, "Battle cleric;" I want to build my cleric to be a melee character MYSELF.

Similarly with the die rolls; I don't want the game to prevent me from making a gimp character. I want to be able to make something that doesn't work at all, because if you can't do that, then you can't make your character meaningfully better than any other character in any way.

We all get to play the same thing, how much more boring can you get?

....in a game that requires none of those things?

I have been looking forward to this game since it was announced; whatever units they use to measure disappointment, my value would have at least a "mega-" prefix.

If you don't like they way they did it then go make your own game.

And I stick to my assertion that you have already made your decision. Your not lost as in not understanding something. You just don't like the game and very obviously don't want to like the game. That's fine. That's your choice. Embrace it and move on.

All die, so die well.
  • spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    So, not only is there no multiclassing, but you can't even customize the class you do pick?

LAME.

This and the OP makes this the funniest thread ever. Adapt or find another game. If you are as old a gamer as you state, then you would know that there are other games than WoW right?
  • dataquedataque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    To be clear to anyone that thinks Neverwinter is a D&D based RPG: it is NOT. Cryptic has built an action MMORPG around the D&D IP and lore. Neverwinter only follows the 'spirit' of the 4E ruleset and does not play like a PnP RPG. Like most MMO's, Neverwinter is primarily gear based and your class options are extremely limited (you will see many cookie-cutter builds).

My condolences if you were expecting something different.
  • snarftasticsnarftastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is this kid for real? Stupidity at it's finest people.
  • bluebacker63bluebacker63 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That is truly pathetic.

Sounds like this game might not be for you. Hope you didn't drop any cash on it.
  • phontigallophontigallo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Have you tried reinstalling Windows? If that doesn't work, then you can always write a letter to the developers and then kill yourself for looking like an idiot...idiot.
  • dendrobates0825dendrobates0825 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with bluebacker63, this isn't the game for you and it would be better to move on to something more to your liking.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sounds like the mmo you want is DDO. I play that too, and it's closer to the spirit of 3.5 D&D, being able to customize how you want, multiclass, etc.
  • toadoflickingtoadoflicking Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    OP's been here for months, continually bashing the game. This is not a brand new player confused with the game. It's a long-time dissatisfied forumite uselessly trying to bring awareness to the "issues" with the game.

It hasn't worked in the past few months, and it's certainly not going to work now. You don't like the game. We get it. We got it months ago. Just leave. Maybe see if you can get the rights for Next-based video games. Oh, right. Too late for that, too.
  • cambraaacambraaa Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sorry no backpeddling and tab targeting in this game, back to wow sir!
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    It does not really matter what you roll for stats on character creation, just pick one it won't matter.

Only way to turn off mouse look is to hit alt and then you get your cursor and you can click menu items and things like that

There is no mouse wheel zoom feature

Cleric is ranged not melee

The Trickster Rogue was my favorite class in alpha test and the only thing they seemed to pay any attention to was that the Rogue at first had this crazy lurching sneaky walk animation that said..."hey I am a rogue and I am totally sneaking here!!!" we complained about it so much they finally took that out, the rest they left in or made it the way they wanted to with little or no input from us testers...