test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Videos] Cleric Epic Dungeon Runs and Build

Comments

• unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__CBWoAo1_I&feature=youtu.be a 60 cloak towe group with no cleric. the gf has a lot of heals incoming even though he's not using a healing companion.

if this is the case for this game where tanks and healers are really not needed, then the most efficient way through the game will be a mix of 5 tr/cw.

starting to smell like tactical captains up in here all over again...

His potions were on constant CD during bosses. Other people were using pots as well. There were 2 cleric companions which have a 3 strike combo that heals in an AoE around the target on the 3rd hit and he probably had some regeneration running.

I don't believe a 5 TR/CW group would work out that well honestly but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

P.S. I just finished compressing/merging the Powers video (it's about 40 minutes long, I also demonstrate each ability) and am uploading now and about to start on making the Feats video. It'll still be awhile before they are uploaded but I'm working on it.
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    His potions were on constant CD during bosses. Other people were using pots as well. There were 2 cleric companions which have a 3 strike combo that heals in an AoE around the target on the 3rd hit and he probably had some regeneration running.

I don't believe a 5 TR/CW group would work out that well honestly but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

P.S. I just finished compressing/merging the Powers video (it's about 40 minutes long, I also demonstrate each ability) and am uploading now and about to start on making the Feats video. It'll still be awhile before they are uploaded but I'm working on it.

right so if you can just spam pots to win your way through epics, then the more efficient way to play would be to bring all high dps classes.

just like in sto sadly
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Unspecified, I'm curious about your love of Sacred Flame. The temporary hitpoint return I see is absolutely miniscule from it (when I can stand still to get the third hit), and the damage is noticeably less than Lance of Faith. Is there some sort of synergy with feats that I'm not seeing?

sacred flame attacks faster than lance. it is likely higher dps overall.
  • unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    dmndmndmn wrote: »
    Given the current state of dungeons and abilities, would you pick TRs over CWs anytime?
    Do you feel your runs go slower/faster when partying with CWs instead of TRs? Smoother?
    No difference?

I would prefer to always have one of each in a group. A TR just can't handle adds the way a CW can but a CW can't put out the single target DPS of a TR. I had one of the TRs in my group comment about 25k crits yesterday. I wouldn't say either is absolutely necessary at this point because I lack enough experience to say for sure but currently I'd rather have both over all of one or the other.
    what Race and stat roll to u think will work for this spec ?

I'll cover race selection a bit in my build video when I get to that. I favor the Drow currently but I think Human or Tiefling would also be excellent choices. I'm not sure about the other races though.
    Unspecified, I'm curious about your love of Sacred Flame. The temporary hitpoint return I see is absolutely miniscule from it (when I can stand still to get the third hit), and the damage is noticeably less than Lance of Faith. Is there some sort of synergy with feats that I'm not seeing?

I'm not sure there's a right answer between the two exactly. I feel it comes down to deciding what is more important to you, more DPS or more damage reduction.

It's true the temp hitpoints are low but there is synergy with the 11% damage reduction from Foresight, the 30% damage reduction from Astral Shield, and the 15% damage reduction from Hallowed Ground (plus any AR from other classes).

Since DPS just isn't my concern at all I favor Sacred Flame.
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Was going to make a separate thread, but figured I'd chime in here first. I'm running a pure crit build, recovery secondary. Been running these 2 + throne this last weekend.

Curious what your stats are? I'm sitting at ~39% crit, ~35% recharge speed, ~34% action point gain (8100 gear score). I'm running a different build, but the last couple times I did a dungeon, everyone else was <100k healing and I was well over 3 million.
  • difinitusdifinitus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

There is a Paragon Feat that 5/5 makes your heals 10% more effective if they have temporary hitpoints, making the astral seal/sacred flame combo very useful in heavy boss fights.
  • laere89laere89 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey OP, how was leveling as a Cleric. I usually play healers in MMO's and am very experienced, however the leveling always seems to be rough for healing classes in my experience. I'm new to Neverwinter, and to Dungeons and Dragons. So how was leveling? Easy? Slow?
  • caljosstrocaljosstro Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    right so if you can just spam pots to win your way through epics, then the more efficient way to play would be to bring all high dps classes.

For the past few days, I was watching a level 60 GWF doing epic farming runs, and this guy is broke. Healing potions can't be crafted, and if you drink like 20 per run, we'll see how long you can keep going. He is definately appreciating a good healer.

And don't get me started on STO ground combat.
  • battl3hamm3rbattl3hamm3r Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nice, will watch !

By the way, I know the game is still young, but I was planing to play a cleric, are they rare or you can easily find one for dungeons/PvP ?!
    edited April 2013
    laere89 wrote: »
    Hey OP, how was leveling as a Cleric. I usually play healers in MMO's and am very experienced, however the leveling always seems to be rough for healing classes in my experience. I'm new to Neverwinter, and to Dungeons and Dragons. So how was leveling? Easy? Slow?

Leveling was easy. It's a bit slower than a TR early on but I gather other classes start having a harder time soloing between level 50 and 60. I just had to drop Forgemaster's Flame and take Astral Shield and continue on my merry way. I never found it "painful" or "slow" like I have in other MMOs. I wouldn't worry much unless you insist on running with Healing Word and Bastion of Health on your bar while soloing, but then you're just being silly.
    By the way, I know the game is still young, but I was planing to play a cleric, are they rare or you can easily find one for dungeons/PvP ?!

I really can't say. I never had queues pop while leveling (speed leveling does that) and now at cap I've only really run with a few people though I wouldn't say clerics are rare. I just did a run with a second cleric and I swapped out some healing for some DPS (Sun Burst for Daunting Light) to try and compensate for the extra heals. It was a PUG though so coordination and planning don't really happen. In a set group a second cleric could easily just go DPS/Debuffs and it would work out reasonably well.

That said, I do get the "Hey, do you want to heal an epic dungeon?" question from random people indicating they're trying to find a cleric and looked up who was online.

P.S. Powers and Feats videos are up in the OP. Build video soon!
  • commonlispcommonlisp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hmm, after watching your feat video I think a 1/20/10 build might be a good way to go. Rising Hope seems a lot better than Greater Divine Power. Ethereal Boon and Righteous Rage seem worth spending 10 points as well.
    edited April 2013
    commonlisp wrote: »
    Hmm, after watching your feat video I think a 1/20/10 build might be a good way to go. Rising Hope seems a lot better than Greater Divine Power. Ethereal Boon and Righteous Rage seem worth spending 10 points as well.

I admit I strongly considered the same thing. I think there's a very viable build in that I just decided to go the Hallowed Ground AP route and I'm not sure where I'd want to pull the other 6 points out to pull into Ethereal Boon and Righteous Rage. Though I agree putting 1 point in Rising Hope would be way better than one point in Greater Divine Power.

P.S. Link for build video is in the OP now and Youtube will be done uploading in about 20 minutes as of this post.
  • highropeshighropes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103
    edited April 2013
    Great videos, really helpful an insightful.

Thanks for this awesome work! :-)
  • paragon33paragon33 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    well done ty
  • duck2013duck2013 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thanks man.. nice to finally have some info on the abilities before it's time to level tonight... :D
    --- I loved clerics in this game --- <--- My youtube video. [R.I.P good cleric now they nerfed our self healing by 50%]
    Look forward to my long campaigns and short stories in the foundry upon release.

Join our awesome stream community for neverwinter on twitch
  • quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    So something that has been bugging me. The first tier where you dump 5 pts into Action Point Gain % it say 1/2/3% but we use 5 pts. Is this a typo? Shouldn't it be 1/2/3/4/5% or are we just assuming it is already??

or is there a 1.5/2.5 % increment that the tooptip doesn't show?
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • samahnsamahn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    one day a mmo will have a challanging end game like WoW, these dungeons looks walkover. give raid dungeon! with bosses you actually wipe on for weeks before you can kill them, i remember M'uru in WoW, we spent 6 hours 5 days a week for a month and a half on that single boss before we killed him the first time, now thats end game xD
  • quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    ^

and this has what to do with Cleric builds??

l2forumpost
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I watched your character build after using the respec token to see how yours compared to mine. Sorry, but I laughed so hard when u forgot to save your feat/paragon pts... Also felt your pain. Good lesson for those watching. Make sure you commit changes LOL.

overall, nice videos for people who never had the chance to beta test. Ty for taking the time to do this. It answers many questions people ask about what to do and what abilities work and when. Awesome job trying to explain everything in a short time. Those videos can easily run for hours trying to point out the whys and why nots of choosing, especially with a short time into the game.

GL to all the clerics created today !! Don't get bogged down on pt allocation. Unlike alot of MMO's, skill at playing means more than button mashing skills in this game. Pay attention to what is going on and u will do great. Allow for a curve to get used to this game, and allow other classes the same time to get used to playing theirs. The game is in its infancy and people will get better over time.

Above all else, have fun today !!!
  • deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Thanx for posting this, I tried to test out powers as I leveled but that results in all sorts of points everywhich way. I think Astral Shield and staying in melee range ended up working better even as a DPS spec. I tried both that and using my tank to go get the aggro, but just being in melee range and using combat advantage still worked better than the kiting. Kiting is just a losing proposition it seems. (was basically kiting until DPS powers came off cooldown)
    edited April 2013
    So something that has been bugging me. The first tier where you dump 5 pts into Action Point Gain % it say 1/2/3% but we use 5 pts. Is this a typo? Shouldn't it be 1/2/3/4/5% or are we just assuming it is already??

or is there a 1.5/2.5 % increment that the tooptip doesn't show?

I am assuming there's a typo in the tooltip and 5 points gets 5%. I don't know that that feat is actually that useful since the tooltip obviously has a problem and it's unclear what exactly constitutes a "healing spell" (e.g. Does Astral Shield count? What about Forgemaster's Flame?). I went for it mainly because I figure it couldn't hurt and 3% more healing isn't a big deal when my main goal is damage mitigation and max health % based heals.
  • pinchzpinchz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited April 2013
    The bonus healing from wisdom feat is actually 1/3/5%. From my experience, it works on everything that power works on.
  • ptreese84ptreese84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This helped me a lot. Should be Stickied.
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I got to run epic CT tonight and it was much easier than expected. The only healing ability I had was astral shield. I ran no class abilities to improve it and my build is based on a dot damage feat setup. Well, I do have soveriegn Justice, but I rarely got hit.

My encounters were astral shield, daunting light, and break the spirit. My at wills were brand of the sun and sacred flame.

The first two runs I had a great GF tank and felt a bit useless as I got used to my new non-dps setup. It was basically keeping astral shield up and rotating damage. Since the GF kept aggro so well and had great mitigation, I only healed for about 900k with about 900k damage.

Second run was with the same tank. Same story except I got better at damage and finished with a little over a million. Never pulled aggro in either of these runs.

Third run was without a tank. Well, there was a dps GWF. Other than that it was three rogues and myself. The good news is since they were all melee, my astral shield kept everyone topped off. The bad news is I did pull aggro a few times on the first two boss fights. If I am without a tank again, I'll go with sun burst over daunting because kiting was needed. I ended this fight with 1.45m healing and 1.23m damage.

The point of writing all of this up? Astral shield can apparently keep everyone topped off in the first dungeon by itself. I did succumb to going full dps and people started to drop HPs and wondered where AS was. So it is needed unfortunately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ran a dungeon with a very awesome group today with a new setup and omg... LOVE IT.
    Also... as I said... fantastic group, we 4manned the dragon (level 59 dungeon I believe).

Shield in divinity - never leaves my bar. I don't tank, but I also don't kite. I DPS and evade a tad as needed. :P
    Glow - love love love love it. It's a tad odd on huge bosses, but works great on ads that are taking forever to kill (yay elites). In divinity mode it's fun. I'd probably experiment with other debuffs in there as well, but this one is just great on elites. Put it for myself or the rogue/gwf trying to kill an elite ad and YAY death.
    Daunting Light - ads love to hate me so this thing tends to take care of an archer almost in one cast. It takes care of 3+ melee ads in divinity. Also takes a huge chunk out of elites.

Flame Strike - elites getting knocked down on their asses and hopefully hitting some other ads around them? Priceless. More AOE options are great.
    Hallowed Ground - like it when there's not a lot of elites around. I don't have feats to make it also heal, so it's not always the best choice versus taking care of some spammy elites.

Foresight and Terrifying - excellent, no other word for them.

Astral Seal and Lance - I'm torn between Lance and Sacred Flame. but I have found lance better as it takes down archer/ranged type ads faster and usually nobody is close enough to them to get the temp HP. Not even me.

Full DPS tree + 10 points in the bottom tree to get the divine power from encounters coming off CD.

Shall see how things pan out later on, I find that people take a while to grasp that shield area gives healing and also got better placing the shield to cover the best spot for dps (sometimes it was far away from dragon to where dps were taking care of ads, sometimes by tank, etc). I do sometimes miss not having healing word for the instinct in me to aid someone low on hp... but it really is a crappy ability. It never kept me alive kiting ads and I don't think it can do that for others either. If you run out of stamina and running in circles until your AOE is off CD, you pot. I pot. No HW has ever kept me alive with 4 archers shooting at me or 6 spiders trying to melt my face off.

Depending on end-game I might go more heal-spec-ed than now. So far in an intelligent party it seems to work alright.

I wouldn't have given Glow a chance until I saw your videos. I found the inclination to test out all the DPS and healing abilities, but no drive to try out the various debuffs.
  • trique76trique76 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you, I really want to roll a cleric and was surprised by your choice for the drow. I am a total newbie in 4e (even knowing that NW is a mix of rules) so why you didnt pick the human? And what makes the drow superior to humans and tieflings?
    As a last question I still dont understand why people keep saying tieflings are good since all their bonuses stats are on non-class stats... is it for the bonuses they procc on damage?
    edited May 2013
    trique76 wrote: »
    Thank you, I really want to roll a cleric and was surprised by your choice for the drow. I am a total newbie in 4e (even knowing that NW is a mix of rules) so why you didnt pick the human? And what makes the drow superior to humans and tieflings?
    As a last question I still dont understand why people keep saying tieflings are good since all their bonuses stats are on non-class stats... is it for the bonuses they procc on damage?

Tieflings can get +2 cha and +2 int both of which give CD reduction, that's 4% right there and Cha is a secondary for clerics. The other reason is the debuff applied when you get hit. There's also the damage increase on enemies below 50% which is just an added bonus.

I chose drow over human initially to test out Fairie Fire. The debuff really is a big deal and has a near 100% uptime on anything I'm actively attacking. Meaning everyone always does 6% more damage and the enemy does 6% less damage. I was trying to see how many buffs and debuffs I could stack, the answer is a lot.

With 4 stacks of Fairie Fire, 4 drow in the party today, (24% more damage), Divine Glow (7.5% damage resist debuff) cast in divinity for the buff (7.5% damage buff) as well, Hallowed Ground (15% damage buff), Linked Spirit (I have 3.9k power so I was giving almost 200 power to everyone, and 150 crit and other stats too), and other buffs the rest of the group put out the rogue was critting for 50k in Grey Wolf Den today. Then there's the defensive buffs.

I really can't recommend Drow over Human for cleric but I don't think it's a worse choice either. Humans basically get a 3% defense boost and slightly better divinity gain (or wherever you put 3 feats). I don't really feel more divinity is strictly better than Fairie Fire. I'd probably just use it to cast Divine Glow in divinity more often which would be an extra 7.5% damage buff to melee more often. Without a lot of math and stuff factoring in the builds of every other class, who is hitting what how frequently, how often you can keep Fairie Fire up vs. Divine Glow, etc... It's just not an easy question to answer definitively.

So really I say pick the one you like and run with it.
  • trique76trique76 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tieflings can get +2 cha and +2 int both of which give CD reduction, that's 4% right there and Cha is a secondary for clerics. The other reason is the debuff applied when you get hit. There's also the damage increase on enemies below 50% which is just an added bonus.

I chose drow over human initially to test out Fairie Fire. The debuff really is a big deal and has a near 100% uptime on anything I'm actively attacking. Meaning everyone always does 6% more damage and the enemy does 6% less damage. I was trying to see how many buffs and debuffs I could stack, the answer is a lot.

With 4 stacks of Fairie Fire, 4 drow in the party today, (24% more damage), Divine Glow (7.5% damage resist debuff) cast in divinity for the buff (7.5% damage buff) as well, Hallowed Ground (15% damage buff), Linked Spirit (I have 3.9k power so I was giving almost 200 power to everyone, and 150 crit and other stats too), and other buffs the rest of the group put out the rogue was critting for 50k in Grey Wolf Den today. Then there's the defensive buffs.

I really can't recommend Drow over Human for cleric but I don't think it's a worse choice either. Humans basically get a 3% defense boost and slightly better divinity gain (or wherever you put 3 feats). I don't really feel more divinity is strictly better than Fairie Fire. I'd probably just use it to cast Divine Glow in divinity more often which would be an extra 7.5% damage buff to melee more often. Without a lot of math and stuff factoring in the builds of every other class, who is hitting what how frequently, how often you can keep Fairie Fire up vs. Divine Glow, etc... It's just not an easy question to answer definitively.

So really I say pick the one you like and run with it.

Perhaps I will move slightly from the topic but I wonder why the half elf is such a bad choice (I asked this some days ago). He seems to be a nice one for the future tank-paladin ("Protecting"), but I fail to see why he is so bad for clerics. You can even roll 8 on CON and use his racial +2 to raise it to 10 and get your int to 12, that wound be so far from tiefling (minus the damage procc).
    The faery fire is really interesting... I was thinking about save my drow for the ranger but I am considering the cleric. Is it good on other classes like the GF?
  • kitzakoskitzakos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well i made a Dwarf Cleric instead of either Drow or Human, is it a really bad choice? >=(
    edited May 2013
    trique76 wrote: »
    Perhaps I will move slightly from the topic but I wonder why the half elf is such a bad choice (I asked this some days ago). He seems to be a nice one for the future tank-paladin ("Protecting"), but I fail to see why he is so bad for clerics. You can even roll 8 on CON and use his racial +2 to raise it to 10 and get your int to 12, that wound be so far from tiefling (minus the damage procc).
    The faery fire is really interesting... I was thinking about save my drow for the ranger but I am considering the cleric. Is it good on other classes like the GF?

Isn't the half-elf bonus something like gold boost? LOL I can't remember

I run a half-elf cleric, really don't feel that I have to run a particular race. Some stuff is nice, but generally I don't feel it's that huge of a deal. If you want min-max all the way, well that's a different story.