test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CW feels underwhelming.

monarrchmonarrch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Been pveing and pvping and I must say that the class isn't bad but not great either. I don't feel we have the control that a "control wizard" would have and our damage doesn't justify our frailty. Any advice on powers or feat placement from any knowledgable players would be appreciated.
Post edited by monarrch on

Comments

• Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I feel completely the opposite, though I don't do PvP and am only 37 now. Outside dungeons I have sufficient control to barely take damage from most things (and keep the cleric around for those times I do). Inside them I'm easily top 2 in damage (depending on how many rogues are around).
  • Options
    vdosis15vdosis15 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I concur with being underwhelmed. Our control literally does nothing at all on some major bosses with just leaves us as a sad and pathetic low dps class in this type of situation. Im considering rerolling TR but i already grabbed all of my 600k AD on my CW and i dont think i can transfer :-(
  • Options
    robman1978robman1978 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    +1 here. Compared to my Cleric the wizard feels very sub par.

If their abilities actually worked on bosses, it would be a good class. As is - not so much.
  • Options
    jnaathrajnaathra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My CW hit 33 as of last night. I was enjoying it a great deal in both PVE (solo) and PVP (pugging). My damage and CC has been more than sufficent to overcome any PVE content thrown at me so far. I have also been slippery enough in PVP to fight TR's down to the wire in most battles. In PVP I also use some very basic tactics, pouring my control effect onto healers during large battles, while also taking advantage of all the high ground offered in the domination maps.

As long as nothing takes a huge turn for the worst a higher lvls, I will be sticking with it.
    Scout Tragold - "I haven't lived this long by being brave... it's just another word for stupid."
  • Options
    santos1978santos1978 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I also felt that way while doing pvp through the 20s bracket. Then I took a bit of time to look through my talents and decided to switch stuff around to be less controlly and more pew pew. Using Chilling cloud over magic missiles gives you a bit more splash damage when you have the melee grouped up. Also I went for more of the feats that increase dmg from your effect powers and that seemed to help with me being able to kill stuff.

I have gone 1v1 with every class now and while I have won 100% of the battles I can def hold my own and finish them off where before going into more controller feats I was struggling.
    elbansiggy_zps80b97275.png

HONOR - ABOVE - ALL - ELSE

VICE LORD
    KILLER BEE SANTOS
  • Options
    hokonosohokonoso Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited April 2013
    only rogues beat me in pvp, so unless the OP is playing against nothing but rogues i dunno what game he is playing. we have full control over everything!!! we are pretty unstoppable right now and will probably get nerfed or everyone else buffed.
    What is democrazy? It is a government in which the ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens.
    --Nom Anor
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    monarrch wrote: »
    Been pveing and pvping and I must say that the class isn't bad but not great either. I don't feel we have the control that a "control wizard" would have and our damage doesn't justify our frailty. Any advice on powers or feat placement from any knowledgable players would be appreciated.

Are we talking level 60? Level 20? Level 12? Just need some details from you in order to suggest things.
  • Options
    monarrchmonarrch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Are we talking level 60? Level 20? Level 12? Just need some details from you in order to suggest things.

I apologize. I am lvl 17. I find that I cannot place higher than 3rd in the first instance at any given time and I've done it several times. I find in PVp that as I said, my squshiness cannot justify my lack if DPS.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    hokonoso wrote: »
    only rogues beat me in pvp, so unless the OP is playing against nothing but rogues i dunno what game he is playing. we have full control over everything!!! we are pretty unstoppable right now and will probably get nerfed or everyone else buffed.

Forgive me for calling you out on this but full control over everything? Come on. That's not even remotely accurate and a broad generalized statement like like sounds like someone who hasn't even played the class.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It all really depends on what skills you slot and talents you take. I love the class, and have no problem with most fights. Some bosses are a pain, that teleport or can't be controlled, but that just means i take a different approach. If you focus on dps, your control will be less, and if you focus on dps, your control will be lower. The only real problem i've had are those annoying wolves in the winter area, ugh, HATE them. :P
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    monarrch wrote: »
    I apologize. I am lvl 17. I find that I cannot place higher than 3rd in the first instance at any given time and I've done it several times. I find in PVp that as I said, my squshiness cannot justify my lack if DPS.

In PvP, you might be unlucky with opponents or your own team. In the 10-19 bracket, I found it easy to nearly always finish with the top score. It's not about killing people (not only), it is about being in the right places. In fact, you get far more points if you fight over nodes and either capture or defend them. How much damage you do is not really relevant. CC people, push them off the capture nodes (either with Repel, Ice Storm or Singularity -- place it so that people get sucked away from the stone circles). CW feels very good in PvP to me. Plays a lot like a frost mage in that other game, if you get the hang on blinking and using CC on the right targets at the right times (I put blink on "mouse wheel forward", Repel on the middle button, etc.). One rogue is fine, two means you croak (but that IS 2vs1).

I also have no trouble scoring #1 or #2 damage in dungeons. It is also not what matters (that is, you can play poorly and get more dps or you can play smartly and help your group, and do a bit less dps). Bunch up mobs, use AoE, lift up heavy hitters, use your daily powers when they are ready. A good rogue will always outdamage you, but you should be able to do better than the average rogue.

Now, where I agree that the CW feels underwhelming is solo questing in the 40s. Things started to get more tricky around 35 as the cleric companion stopped gaining ranks, and by now (43, swamp) I need a potion nearly every fight. The 200-250ms to the servers doesn't help with very fast mobs. But I have yet to try a tank companion (the one from the Zen store) and I can swap in more defensive abilities. I'm usually lazy and use my dungeon set of skills.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I am not sure why you feel underwhelmed at all. I am level 60 and even though I need to avoid hitting hit or drawing aggro my damage is beast. I've teamed with 3 TR and stil have compareable dps. Our focus is AoE and control damage, but it all comes down to working as a team and knowing how to play your class. Like IM said, you need to know your role and how to help your team.
    There are, of course, things that need tweaked, but I find CW to be a pretty strong class.

I will say I HATE their level 50 spell, it was a huge let down and I want them to change it so bad I could cry. Actually I think I did cry when I first cast it.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • Options
    gyloirgyloir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just odn't get why many bosses we can't use our CC on. Are there bosses which Rogues can't backstab? Guardians can't block? It nerfs our class during boss battles a lot and no one else seems affected but CW's.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    gyloir wrote: »
    I just odn't get why many bosses we can't use our CC on. Are there bosses which Rogues can't backstab? Guardians can't block? It nerfs our class during boss battles a lot and no one else seems affected but CW's.

So far, in most cases where I had a boss that couldn't get cc'ed, there were adds that could. In a dungeon the GF's job is to handle the boss, and CWs deal with adds. It would make some encounters very trivial if we could chain-CC them, so the alternative would be severe diminishing returns and that would then affect our solo abilities. I feel it is okay the way it is.
  • Options
    ayamataayamata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 290 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Is it just me, or is Storm Pillar completely f**king useless? lmao~
    lunapic_136818015258135_1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ayamata wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is Storm Pillar completely f**king useless? lmao~

It didn't work well for me, either. I generally don't like "stand there and charge up a skill" abilities, though, mostly because I rarely get to stand and channel! :)

I've just been experimenting with Shield, in the mid 40s, and this really was a solid improvement for solo questing (especially if you have some lag at times). It doubles as damage reduction and emergency pushback/AOE. I had Chilling Strike in its place before, but this will now stay in the bag, except for dungeons.

One more level for Steal Time!
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yeah Storm Pillar, I found no use for at all. Bosses are bosses. You don't need to have your control powers to work on them. Majority of the mobs I fight can be controlled. The few that can't are usually bosses or epic mobs. Just use other skills on it.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • Options
    gyloirgyloir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Imaigne that though for other classes. What makes a control wizard is the CC/disables.

now imagine if Rogues couldn't backstab bosses.
    If guardians couldn't taunt them.
    etc.

Control wizards are the ONLY class that has the majority of their class focus "Disabled" on bosses, while no other class has that problem.
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    gaymer87 wrote: »
    Yeah Storm Pillar, I found no use for at all. Bosses are bosses. You don't need to have your control powers to work on them. Majority of the mobs I fight can be controlled. The few that can't are usually bosses or epic mobs. Just use other skills on it.

it would be handy if we could get our debuffs on them though. Im am enjoying levelling the class and don't feel underwhelmed.
  • Options
    mathbathmathbath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    I was going renegade, but then something hit me. With thaumaturge, I could set up storm pillar to up my damage, and it's shocks off of a full charge proc storm spell. I'm planning a hit-as-often-as-possible type of set up, and storm pillar can help with that.

Powers:
    At-Will = Storm Pillar (i know, whats this silly kid thinkin no magic missile?) and RoF
    Encounters = Conduit, entangling force, enfeeble, and probably chill strike in tab. I'm considering a couple others, as force choke is a wasted slot on bosses.
    Daily = Black hole and Ice Knife for PvE, Opressive Force and Ice Knife for PvP.

Planned Feats:
    Heroic -
    5/5/1/0
    3/0/0/3
    0/0/3/0

Paragon;
    Oppressor - 5 in bitter cold.
    Thaumaturge -
    5/5/0/0/
    0/5/0/5/1
    Renegade - 5 in Critical Power.

Renegade is neat, but I needs me my range, i.e. 80 > 30 > 19. The amount of hits I'm getting combined with the debuffs and buffs is something I'm hoping will pay off. I plan on stacking power and recovery mainly. I'm at lvl 42 currently, so I haven't played with steal time, but I really want storm pillar to pay off. And I've wanted to make a solid thaumaturge build since I got my grubby mits on this game. That being said, the mitigation and damage buffs I should be reaping will hopefully effect storm spell as well. Keeping my cooldowns on everythang low should keep them debuffs a rollin (as well as better control), and the amount of hits that'll come in from hits over time will hopefully proc metric butt tons of damage.

Feedback/discussion is welcome. Updates will be provided.

Edit: Concerned with Arcane mastery. Lookin at you avalanche. Wondering if it's worth it, maybe tab slot?
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »
    it would be handy if we could get our debuffs on them though. Im am enjoying levelling the class and don't feel underwhelmed.

The debuffs did used to occur to bosses, just not the slow/holds/stuns. If it isn't now, then I'd bug report that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mathbath wrote: »
    I was going renegade, but then something hit me. With thaumaturge, I could set up storm pillar to up my damage, and it's shocks off of a full charge proc storm spell. I'm planning a hit-as-often-as-possible type of set up, and storm pillar can help with that.

Powers:
    At-Will = Storm Pillar (i know, whats this silly kid thinkin no magic missile?) and RoF
    Encounters = Conduit, entangling force, enfeeble, and probably chill strike in tab. I'm considering a couple others, as force choke is a wasted slot on bosses.
    Daily = Black hole and Ice Knife for PvE, Opressive Force and Ice Knife for PvP.

Planned Feats:
    Heroic -
    5/5/1/0
    3/0/0/3
    0/0/3/0

Paragon;
    Oppressor - 5 in bitter cold.
    Thaumaturge -
    5/5/0/0/
    0/5/0/5/1
    Renegade - 5 in Critical Power.

Renegade is neat, but I needs me my range, i.e. 80 > 30 > 19. The amount of hits I'm getting combined with the debuffs and buffs is something I'm hoping will pay off. I plan on stacking power and recovery mainly. I'm at lvl 42 currently, so I haven't played with steal time, but I really want storm pillar to pay off. And I've wanted to make a solid thaumaturge build since I got my grubby mits on this game. That being said, the mitigation and damage buffs I should be reaping will hopefully effect storm spell as well. Keeping my cooldowns on everythang low should keep them debuffs a rollin (as well as better control), and the amount of hits that'll come in from hits over time will hopefully proc metric butt tons of damage.

Feedback/discussion is welcome. Updates will be provided.

Edit: Concerned with Arcane mastery. Lookin at you avalanche. Wondering if it's worth it, maybe tab slot?

I was only thinking 5 in renegade too for the crit...nothing more though.

Hope someone is working on a good feat calculator.
  • Options
    mathbathmathbath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    http://ricardo.ishibashi.com.br/neverwinter/control_wizard_feat.html

This helped me with an outline. I'm hoping it becomes more comprehensive soon. Still good work though.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Chaos Magic and such are applied to bosses. Kept an eye on it this morning when I did the Chasm dungeon (Plague-something).

I prefer Renegade by a good margin, but that is playstyle preference. I like being close to the action, blinking in and out, and generally living on the edge. :) My build (at 53, have leveled since) looks like this:

ycgbPYg.png

Note that my 3 human bonus feats are not spent yet. The remaining paragon points go into the first two Thaumaturge feats. It's very beastly when solo questing and I still out-dps rogues in dungeons (not on bosses, just overall).
  • Options
    jakedemetriojakedemetrio Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Spellstorm Mage is the only Paragon Path available for Control Wizards"

Can anyone explain what this means? What is a paragon path and how does it work? Or point me in the direction of where I can find the proper information about this?
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Chaos Magic and such are applied to bosses. Kept an eye on it this morning when I did the Chasm dungeon (Plague-something).

I prefer Renegade by a good margin, but that is playstyle preference. I like being close to the action, blinking in and out, and generally living on the edge. :) My build (at 53, have leveled since) looks like this:

Note that my 3 human bonus feats are not spent yet. The remaining paragon points go into the first two Thaumaturge feats. It's very beastly when solo questing and I still out-dps rogues in dungeons (not on bosses, just overall).

Yea that's very similar to where I'm headed. 49 now and having absolutely no issues solo or in groups. Still rarely using potions and only when things are really disgusting (pull 3 groups or ugly boss fights in dungeons). Even though the cleric falls a lot more I find she keeps me topped off between fights and gets enough agro during them I can still mop up everything with little difficulty. Will be interesting to see what she's like at rank 30.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    "Spellstorm Mage is the only Paragon Path available for Control Wizards"

Can anyone explain what this means? What is a paragon path and how does it work? Or point me in the direction of where I can find the proper information about this?

Paragon paths are like your specialty path once you hit level 30. They give you a title and access to some new abilities. Unfortunately right now every class only has access to one Paragon path, so everyone is the same in that regard. Your heroic and paragon feats (along with how you slot your powers) are the only differences between us all. Every control wizard will eventually be a spellstorm mage.
  • Options
    raugarraugar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    what the oO. cw is ridiccoulisly good. second best class after trickster rogue. if you have Problems with him, it's most likly because of yourself and not the class ^^.
  • Options
    jakedemetriojakedemetrio Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you Elyrielle.
  • Options
    serotonergicserotonergic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    I'm up to level 32 and I'm really okay with where CW are at balance wise so far.