test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Videos] Cleric Epic Dungeon Runs and Build

unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I have moved away from the builds presented here. They still work and I completed all T2s with each build. In fact after 2.0 I returned to something closer to my original build. I used my 2.0 build to farm all the gear I use in my current build. I've also completed most T2s with my regen tank build (those I haven't are ones I simply haven't done since the respec).

My final build, and I do mean final, for this character as well as gear choices can be found here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?256552-Regen-Tank-Healer-Gear-choices-and-build
Direct link to Regen Tank video: http://youtu.be/Gi-0mZoiV7M

As always, take my videos and opinions as information, not instructions to be followed.

I spent a few hours running Epic Cloak Tower and Cragmire Crypts today to test my build before I go and make build videos (tomorrow!). I frapsed the last run of each I did with my group today, who were all a bunch of strangers this morning. Neither run is exactly "perfect" but for this type of thing I prefer the imperfect because it shows what can go wrong. Regardless, the fault wasn't with the build it was with me being tired and stupid.

I do open my character panel and go through each tab at the end of Cragmire Crypts Part 2 so you can get a general sense of the build I'm using. However there are a few things in powers I will likely be changing tomorrow when I do a full respec for the build video. The feats are set the way I want them and won't be changing that at all.

Epic Cragmire Crypts Part 1: http://youtu.be/2t4u-mWfWK0
Epic Cragmire Crypts Part 2: http://youtu.be/dKOs22RTjAQ

Epic Cloak Tower Part 1: http://youtu.be/2-UmAgrnbaU
Epic Cloak Tower Part 2: http://youtu.be/5EMvtJdS3rI

These next 2 videos are really just my opinion on things. They're aimed at people who like discussing this stuff, hearing other opinions, and creating builds. That's not to say people who don't enjoy those things won't get something out of it but they are pretty long (40 minutes and 30 minutes). I also go and use almost every power on some random trash in the world to demonstrate how they work. Feats can't really be demonstrated the same unfortunately. If you just want my build you can safely skip these two if you really don't care.

Thoughts on Powers: http://youtu.be/dHharPTtkkw
Thoughts on Feats: http://youtu.be/0tq3g78ssLg

Note: I don't believe for a second my build is "perfect" or "the best." I had 2 days to figure it out and this is what I came up with. It seems to work well, especially speed runs of Cloak Tower and Cragmire Crypts. I'm sure in the coming weeks different, and possibly superior, builds will come out.

My Build 1-60: http://youtu.be/0NghNg_21mg

Build 2.0 and Gear/Stat Discussion
As many of you are probably aware I've respecced since the build posted above. I still believe that is a good build, it just isn't optimal for a variety of reasons. This video is not as in-depth as some of my previous videos. I only cover things I have changed my mind about and/or were removed/added to my build. The second half of this video is all about gear, stats, and diminishing returns.
http://youtu.be/nS7o6wo1UBM

I'll do my best to answer any and all questions here or on the videos themselves, though you have a much better chance of getting quick response here. Also you will likely get a much wordier response here :p
Post edited by unspecifiederror on

Comments

• ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    Nice dude thanks will watch.
  • dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yeah awesome vid, No Guardian?
  • jgfujgfu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Good job man, I'll be sure to watch and keep the cleric videos and ideas coming xD

~Die hard cleric~
  • unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    dtrain69 wrote: »
    yeah awesome vid, No Guardian?

We didn't have one when we started and never felt the need to find one. Before I decided on this build I tried a more traditional "healer" role in Caverns of K... w/e the 59 dungeon is called. I was making the joke "I R TANK!" So I built for it and was very pleased with the results... as long as I stay in the circle...

Unfortunately with the way things are now there just doesn't seem to be any good way to keep the adds off the cleric which means the cleric has to be prepared to off-tank at the very least. So I just dropped all threat reduction and went all out making myself a tank and drawing on the Warden from LOTRO for inspiration.

I honestly feel bad for GFs, I don't know the first thing about them but I also don't feel the need to find one for groups at present. Just give me 4 DPS and I'm good to go. I wouldn't refuse to group with a GF though.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Looking forward to the build video tomorrow! Thanks for doing this. :)

My cleric was meant to be my main character, but even trying to heal the first dungeon was a little off-putting, so I tried out a CW and shelved the DC temporarily. I would still like to do something with him, so, thanks for providing inspiration!
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We didn't have one when we started and never felt the need to find one. Before I decided on this build I tried a more traditional "healer" role in Caverns of K... w/e the 59 dungeon is called. I was making the joke "I R TANK!" So I built for it and was very pleased with the results... as long as I stay in the circle...

Unfortunately with the way things are now there just doesn't seem to be any good way to keep the adds off the cleric which means the cleric has to be prepared to off-tank at the very least. So I just dropped all threat reduction and went all out making myself a tank and drawing on the Warden from LOTRO for inspiration.

I honestly feel bad for GFs, I don't know the first thing about them but I also don't feel the need to find one for groups at present. Just give me 4 DPS and I'm good to go. I wouldn't refuse to group with a GF though.

Yeah that's cool. Thanks for the reply.
  • jgfujgfu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Good to know not only one noticing the aggro clerics pull from adds. I seriously think they only look at us XD Many times I feel their evil glare.
  • teflondon75teflondon75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So glad you posted this unspecifiederror! I was really hoping to find some tips, insight etc for the 30th when I'll start playing! Watching this has definitely made me feel a bit more relaxed. I love healing and actually prefer it a bit hectic but most of the vids on youtube show a very different picture than yours did. Mass hysteria and chaos with the healer barely staying alive constantly and not keeping the team up half the time lol. In fact most of them(lower level instances) it appeared the DC's could barely heal at all really(I've not played NW yet so I only have those vids to go off currently)

I had heard threat was a real concern so I'm quite interested in seeing what you did to tank up a bit! It looks like it worked out quite well for you!
  • arixar2arixar2 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So are epic dungeons hard?

its looks as boring as normal dungeons. Just aoe down the trash and zerg dodge boss, 2 cw's cc about everything -.-;(
  • highropeshighropes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103
    edited April 2013
    Really looking forward to this, going to reroll my DC today. Hopefully I can learn something here, good job with those videos.

Actually, we might end up having 2 DCs in our gourp. Do you think it's possible to play primary job dmg and secondary job healing? Thanks for answers, i'd be really interested in dmg dealing DC.
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Clerics are pretty much the tanks at high end... but having a guardian in party to tank the boss mob can help.. also they can reduce the damage you take by 50% so they can make it even easier for you as a cleric to tank everything, little awkward situation really when your cleric is better at holding agro.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Slightly unrelated, but that GWF's glowy 2H sword looks pretty cool in the videos. :)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    arixar2 wrote: »
    So are epic dungeons hard?

its looks as boring as normal dungeons. Just aoe down the trash and zerg dodge boss, 2 cw's cc about everything -.-;(

Honestly I think the level 59 dungeon is harder, or at least more interesting. Different types of enemies have different abilities. illithids for example are nasty things.
    highropes wrote: »
    Actually, we might end up having 2 DCs in our gourp. Do you think it's possible to play primary job dmg and secondary job healing? Thanks for answers, i'd be really interested in dmg dealing DC.

I do think DCs could make decent DPS though I think if you were going to have 2 DCs one should focus on healing/buffing and the other on DPS/debuffing. If I was in that situation I'd drop Divine Glow on my spec and take something else, not sure what off the top of my head. The DPS cleric could take Divine Glow, Daunting Light (with feats gives a 10% damage taken debuff), and and use Brand of the Sun feated to reduce enemy damage by 5% and crit chance by 5% (replacing Astral Seal). Also taking Terrifying Image or w/e the class feature that increases damage dealt to targets you already hit is called, stacks up to +16% damage with 4 stacks at rank 3 I believe. Not sure exactly what else would go into a DPS spec off the top of my head but when I do my powers and feats videos I'll be talking about various options I think would work. There's very few abilities I think are "garbage" but there's a lot that are "garbage for this spec."
    mewbrey wrote: »
    Clerics are pretty much the tanks at high end... but having a guardian in party to tank the boss mob can help.. also they can reduce the damage you take by 50% so they can make it even easier for you as a cleric to tank everything, little awkward situation really when your cleric is better at holding agro.

That 50% damage reduction would be amazing! Combined with the 11% from Foresight (little yellow head buff) and the I believe 30% from Astral Shield (+10% for rank 2 and 3 each and an unknown initial amount) and then another 15% from Hallowed Ground on top of the base defenses people have and any other buffs.

I also do believe a GF controlling the big boss could be very beneficial. I have to do a lot of dancing around bosses a GF could just face tank. It was really the Add Aggro problem I was most interested in resolving with this build.

Unless GFs have a spammable AoE hard taunt with a massive radius there's just no way for them to ever reasonably pick up all the adds that spawn all around boss rooms. They will always end up on the cleric and clerics just have to be able to take it while a CW and GWF clean them up and the TR hurts the boss. At least that's how I imagine Cryptic intended it and it should work fine. But if you're short a class the other classes can step up to fill the void, like a cleric tank or cleric dps (sorry I only know the cleric).

P.S. Cloak Tower videos now up.
  • highropeshighropes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for answers, hopefully those guide videos will be up as soon as possible! :-)
    edited April 2013
    highropes wrote: »
    Thanks for answers, hopefully those guide videos will be up as soon as possible! :-)

I'd estimate late evening tomorrow. I'm going to record them in the late morning and/or early afternoon (pacific time) and then I have to compress and upload which takes a few hours each. They will be up tomorrow though.

Need sleep now though :P
    edited April 2013
    I'd estimate late evening tomorrow. I'm going to record them in the late morning and/or early afternoon (pacific time) and then I have to compress and upload which takes a few hours each. They will be up tomorrow though.

Need sleep now though :P

Ok, thanks.. I will be saving my points and stuff for as long as possibe. Could you at least direct me what should my stats look like? Also, I guess playing human is best for Cleric. But if you don't have time now, I'll wait for your videos.. Go get some sleep now. :-)

edit: oh nvm, I see those stats in your video now, silly me, thanks.
  • jikjaxjikjax Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Not as high as you, but similar conclusion on my cleric. I had hoped GWF's would be the off-tanks/add collectors of NW.
  • misanuffmisanuff Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks man for typing all this and doing the videos. Appreciate your work! :)
  • quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Nice vids....I am waiting patiently for your builds and commentary. I'm only 17 human DC right now basically soloing and trying to learn the mechanics. The one skirmish I joined had alot of level 13-14 when I was 16 and I got my face eaten twice because every frickin mob attacked me. I'll try to get into a Cloak Tower group today but would like some advice as to what are the best healing skills I can equip at that level. Right now I think i'm running Sun Burst, Healing Word, Chains, Lance, Astral, and that Guardian Daily.

I never play a main healer class in MMO's. My two mains in Lotro are a Hunter(range dps) and Captain(Buffer, off-heals) which i've been playing since 2007 off and on. Anyways, the way your cleric was keeping the group up in that first vid is what i'm envisioning for the future...good stuff...looking forward to your build vids.
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • qwal1qwal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Very nice! feeling like playing a cleric instead of CW :D
  • dmndmndmndmndmndmn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey unspecified, I know this is not DC specific but I'm just looking into feedback from someone that can give a proper, informed answer.

Given the current state of dungeons and abilities, would you pick TRs over CWs anytime?
    Do you feel your runs go slower/faster when partying with CWs instead of TRs? Smoother?
    No difference?

Thanks!
    edited April 2013
    Really curious if half-elf is not better for Cleric then human.
  • ohrobinvanpersieohrobinvanpersie Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sounds a little silly if clerics are tanks, healers, and reasonable DPS on top.
  • quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

aye this multi tasking is teh suck...can't go afk during boss fight to grab a soda :p
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
  • silvernine84silvernine84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

If by reasonable, you mean typically last or close to last, not really. CW and TR typically out-DPS me. I run a similar build as the OP and can tank reasonably well but my DPS is poor.

Unfortunately, agro is still bugged at higher levels, and the Agro Reduction from our passive ability seems to actually increase agro instead of reduce it. The problem is that the game seems to consider 1 heal as 1/2 of a damage. This works great when you are grouped with two people, but once you start getting to a full group and AE healing (since all of our single target heals suck), you are getting tons of heals that out-surpass the damage going out. You have heals from your AS, your encounters, and your passive feat.

They need to really take another look at healing agro. It should be that heals are only counted if you actually heal the person. Overhealing shouldn't bring agro since it can't be avoided and added nothing.
    Hadekin Unavailable
    Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators,
    The Boss of the Applesauce, Dwarven Cleric Extraordinaire...

Hadekin.jpg
    Athkatla Arranaur, eat your heart out you gelatinous giant rat!
  • moodsmoods Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah im not really a fan of Clerics having to off-tank either, I fully respect that Clerics in this game arent pure healers, but more of a hybrid support class, but I did not make one to off-tank every single add that spawns.
    edited April 2013
    Unspecified....wake up!! We are waiting :p
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__CBWoAo1_I&feature=youtu.be a 60 cloak towe group with no cleric. the gf has a lot of heals incoming even though he's not using a healing companion.

if this is the case for this game where tanks and healers are really not needed, then the most efficient way through the game will be a mix of 5 tr/cw.

starting to smell like tactical captains up in here all over again...
  • brainwashdkbrainwashdk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    what Race and stat roll to u think will work for this spec ?
  • wintersmercywintersmercy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Unspecified, I'm curious about your love of Sacred Flame. The temporary hitpoint return I see is absolutely miniscule from it (when I can stand still to get the third hit), and the damage is noticeably less than Lance of Faith. Is there some sort of synergy with feats that I'm not seeing?