test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Don't bother playing Great Weapons Fighter

Comments

• Options
    chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »
    Agreed. We need to keep in mind if they have gotten the class wrong the worst thing they can do is implement a snap decision change that makes it worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow
  • Options
    terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    chomag wrote: »
    Yes, yes, "It's just the PTR", "Max level will fix it", "Resilience will fix it". Then it's live, max level and having resilience. Surprise! Still not fixed.

Given that this is a WoW reference it's really silly given how viable if not OP Warrior was through the course of the history in WoW.
  • Options
    chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    terhix wrote: »
    Given that this is a WoW reference it's really silly given how viable if not OP Warrior was through the course of the history in WoW.

Not really. It was OP in short bursts usually at the beginning of an expansion, then gradually nerfed to ****. The best time to play a warrior was probably back in TBC.

I see Cryptic is attempting to get rid even of that short burst.
  • Options
    terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    chomag wrote: »
    Not really. It was OP in short bursts usually at the beginning of an expansion, then gradually nerfed to ****. The best time to play a warrior was probably back in TBC.

I see Cryptic is attempting to get rid even of that short burst.

I was playing through vanilla, TBC and WotLK. In TBC the warrior was either stupidly OP or good, at no point was the class weak to a degree where it would stop being competitive, even in arguably the worst season - the first season of WotLK - I could easily drop most DK/Paladin (which were absolutely overpowered) teams as Warrior/Shaman and get high in the ratings.

That and claiming that the balance will not change is really unsound, we are 2 days into OB, they have to focus on stability and they deserve some rest to celebrate, I wouldn't expect any balance changes till at very least two weeks in, but claiming that the company is not interested in balancing the game is unsound.
  • Options
    teethxteethx Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    at this point i just want to be able to join a 5 man and feel like i am not along for the ride :P i try to keep mobs off the healer during boss encounters but i am aoe with every thing i got and still nothing...
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ive come to the conclusion that the GWF is just a permanent DoT
    21.jpg
  • Options
    runafrunaf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    elthuzar wrote: »
    Except I'm not even going to bother levelling up a GWF because of it. They never should have changed the powers to this EQ Clone talent tree <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Nobody cares what you decide or decide not to level.
    The people who actually play GWF will continue to play.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lol gwf do just 2x times less total dungeon damage then tr on lvl 60,so yeah u see now he sucks on lvl 60 to,and dont say now he have aoes since even dungeon full of 10+mobs all time didnt help him to come closer then this
  • Options
    iceyrabbiticeyrabbit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    so far.. im lvl 25 and well the dps is alright, but it could indeed be a bit higher,

dungeons I do alright.. depending on the gear and loadout, ill never be top dps, I usually see GF or Rogues on there, and im usually.. 3rd maybe 4th depending on how our good friend control wizzard does.

overall I can take a beating and solo some mobs if its necceseary, slicing them to bits pretty quickly once the rage bar gets filled.. wich is a small point of improvement needed.. yes it hits faster, but could also hit a tad harder..
    other than that I see no real issues with the GWF.. take a cleric along as companion and well my health bar doesnt really go down at all anymore.

Now when I am not carrying a minion yea then I die pretty fast.
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    How is it pay to win? You can do the EXACT same thing for free.

It's paying for convenience and expedience.

Please learn what "Pay to Win" is

Are people whining? Are they mad? Are they jealous?

Then he won.

Simple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kgl7kgl7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Major problem is that people considered the GWF to be a DPS class. It is not.

It is first and foremost a Fighter which in 4th Edition D&D has the role of the defender.

For the GWF being a striker and controller is it's secondary and tertiary.

It's not like how Death Knights were when they were first introduced into WoW. That's what they felt like on the first week on entry in the beta.

People should really not cry so much all the time. It makes the community look bad.
  • Options
    kartofflenkartofflen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    It wont matter the GWF will change based on player want until other classes are released simply put if even 10% of the player base want to make this their main and cryptic wants to milk them for money as it is a business the whole DND defender striker controller thing will become a sham. Should be fairly obvious by now if say even 500k people play this and 50k people want GWF to do dps thats 50k people cryptic wants money from. Just wait and see.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The reality of everything is GWF wont get in to quality groups because of there class, people say "wait till end game!" but some have already made it that far and still are getting <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> results.

They simply have to give them one role defender or striker, the hybrid thing is not working for them at all, if they choose striker then to stay true to the D&D 4e they would have to change the class to a barb.
  • Options
    kartofflenkartofflen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    Pretty much my point exactly teethx. And as we all know DPS is the most popular archetype in any game so.
  • Options
    kgl7kgl7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It does matter what the player base thinks, but you should never stray from a concept. Then it becomes something else than Cryptics 4th Edition D&D mmo attempt which this game is.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Almighty dollar rules all when it comes to a "concept" artistic integrity is all fine and dandy to state but it wont matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    kartofflen wrote: »
    It wont matter the GWF will change based on player want until other classes are released simply put if even 10% of the player base want to make this their main and cryptic wants to milk them for money as it is a business the whole DND defender striker controller thing will become a sham. Should be fairly obvious by now if say even 500k people play this and 50k people want GWF to do dps thats 50k people cryptic wants money from. Just wait and see.

they will see very soon, its like most people never understand how a business works... most are just wishing against hope lol
  • Options
    divinehopedivinehope Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 48
    edited April 2013
    kgl7 wrote: »
    Major problem is that people considered the GWF to be a DPS class. It is not.

It is first and foremost a Fighter which in 4th Edition D&D has the role of the defender.

For the GWF being a striker and controller is it's secondary and tertiary.

It's not like how Death Knights were when they were first introduced into WoW. That's what they felt like on the first week on entry in the beta.

People should really not cry so much all the time. It makes the community look bad.

I am guessing you have not played a GWF, because like it has been said many, many times that its currently not doing any role. Actually, I don't think anyone knows WTF it is, not even the developers at this point because it can't do anything besides waste space atm. However, I guess I am a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> because I am still playing it lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    divinehope wrote: »
    I am guessing you have not played a GWF, because like it has been said many, many times that its currently not doing any role. Actually, I don't think anyone knows WTF it is, not even the developers at this point because it can't do anything besides waste space atm. However, I guess I am a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> because I am still playing it lol.

same.... I have hopes, it still is beta:P
  • Options
    tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Aye that is the issue. We can debate until we are blue in the face about what the role of the GWF is. But none of that matters. Because right now it is lack luster in every catagory. Having a GWF in your group right now is a handicap. Sadly. Because they have potential.
  • Options
    divinehopedivinehope Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 48
    edited April 2013
    teethx wrote: »
    same.... I have hopes, it still is beta:P

Well they need to something quick before mass flesh starts to melt from profuse stake burning.
  • Options
    jerchjerch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Am I the only one not having problems out of their GWF? I'm doing competitive over-all damage in dungeons and breezed through most of the content up to level 30, and even been selling most of my first tier healing pots just to save bag space. o.O
  • Options
    kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tinypyro wrote: »
    Aye that is the issue. We can debate until we are blue in the face about what the role of the GWF is. But none of that matters. Because right now it is lack luster in every catagory. Having a GWF in your group right now is a handicap. Sadly. Because they have potential.

Well feeling that way too. Last beta i didnt group so the class is just fine for solo but like you say it really doesnt stand out much in group play.
  • Options
    unjustbladeunjustblade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited April 2013
    The problem to me seems to be that the damage modifiers on the GWF's abilities are... Well... Complete ****. Let's compare numbers. We'll start with the Guardian Fighter:

Total Character Power: 100
    Weapon Damage: 42-51
    44-51 physical damage cleave (2 ranks) (No damage debuff for hitting multiple enemies)

162-182 damage griffin's wrath
    202-233 lunging strike

And now the Great Weapon Fighter:

Character Power: 144 Total
    Weapon Damage: 83-101
    38-45 physical damage Sure Strike (2 ranks)
    41-49 physical damage wicked strike (2 ranks) (damage debuff for every target hit beyond the first)
    165-195 physical damage Reaping Strike (2 ranks) (Approximately 3.2-3.7 seconds between each fully charged Reaping Strike)

So we can see that the Great Weapon Fighter's abilities use not even half of the equipped sword's full power, while a Guardian Fighter's abilities use 100% +. Not to mention, Cleave has no damage debuff for hitting multiple enemies. Does this seem like it's keeping with the GWF's theme of "Great AoE Damage Dealer" to anyone else? It doesn't to me.
  • Options
    malvolio11malvolio11 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just finished leveling to 25 and was hoping I was not alone. I played other classes in the CBTs so I decided to try out GWF and I am boggled by the design flaws. A GWF has no sustain, mediocre damage, and no niche. A Control Wizard can put out more AoE while having a metric ton more CC and safety, a trixter rogue can do the same with single target.

Whats the point in playing a GWF? Wizards do more AoE safer, Rogues do more ST safer, Soloing is downright painful last boss fight I went through 15 fkn pots

Every single ability has a catch 22 on it, It deals this much damage but less if there are more than 1 target.. meanwhile rogues and wizards get full damage on their AoE abilities.

When a wizard cleric or rogue dodges they are immune in travel.. but not a GWF in sprint your just fkd.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think some of the problem is that Determination builds up far to slow, and for dungeons (since we cant tank for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>) we don't build very much, hurting us even more. Yeah sure is a lot of Catch 22 going on here =P

PvP has been a nightmare for the most part too, but that's a different breed/story.
  • Options
    malvolio11malvolio11 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Determination also has a catch 22.. you attack fast but you do less damage. Heaven forbid they just give him a temporary boost without penalties
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    nocturnalg wrote: »
    The pay to win nonsense begins! Paid to hit max level in a couple hours and he had a epic purple weapon waiting for him at 60 from HotN.

Actually, its quite the opposite.
    By paying to bypass leveling, you rob yourself of not only content enjoyment, but actual combat experience. Meaning you have a level 20 player, running a level 60 character. Who can look forward to boring missions with no reward.

Sounds like pay to lose to me.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    Actually, its quite the opposite.
    By paying to bypass leveling, you rob yourself of not only content enjoyment, but actual combat experience. Meaning you have a level 20 player, running a level 60 character. Who can look forward to boring missions with no reward.

Sounds like pay to lose to me.

A lot of people stand around to look cool and say they got cool stuff. I think it makes them feel good irl or something duno why you want to do that, when i was in a end game guild if i wasnt raiding i was logged off because of jack all to do.
This discussion has been closed.