test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How the new 15 min reward system trashed my non-linear quest

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
So back when I made a nonlinear quest in BW4, it was praised a lot and people liked it. You needn't complete all the side-quest, just do main quest and its done. The main quest was no joke, but was comparitively short, while side quests were 5 times as long as that.

Now, as they trashed the BW4 reviews(when players had a lot of time with them and played the quests at their pace) and considered the alpha reviews (who had like 4 hours to play and used to run quests without even understanding what the quest was - in short, shallow, stupid and superficial reviews), it does not even have 12 reviews.

This is because your stupid "this quest does not qualify for daily rewards". NOT EVEN ONE PLAY. Why do you hate nonlinear quests so much? It keeps on getting harder and harder for nonlinear quests.

Should I stop making puzzles and side-quests? Do you want me to make themepark only quests.

I strongly hate the one who proposed this anti-sandbox quest idea. AND I HATE ALL THE ANTI-SANDBOX DEVS IN CRYPTIC, AND THE PLAYERS TOO!!!!!!!
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Do your worst i will eventually rule once everyone gets bored of run of the mill quests> they will come back to me.

Just dont add another stupid rule that quests longer than 4 months would be deleted when they finally decide to come. Ok??
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    And that is the real f****** problem with sandbox. Its the devs who f****** hate and discourage it, while BW4 shows that players love it when it gives equal rewards on equal footing.

f****** hostile themeparkers...
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Are you talking about shards of Selune? I see 88 reviews on the campaign, 50 plays on silverstars, and 112 plays on selunite way. Selunite way qualifies for daily, but silverstars does not because it is only 14 minutes.

This doesn't seem so bad to me!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The point is their discriminatory behavior towards a certain section of authors. And your statics are wrong, check them again.

The two quests are part of the same campaign. However, due to one green line one of the quest has not got a single play ever since launch. It clearly shows their anti-sandbox quest and pro-themepark policy which has selectively targeted the sandbox quests once again after the budget limits being designed in a deliberate way to restrict the construction of open maps.

The 12 plays from alpha a re inconsequential as rules at that time (and rewards) were different. During BW4, I did have much more than 112 reviews and mostly positive. It showed people liked to explore and they liked the surprise.

By advertising that "You don't get rewards when you don't play greens" they have completely destroyed any motivation an author would have towards making a sandbox map where a player chooses what quests to do instead of what is spoon-fed to them.

There are a thousand and one faults with their ratings, but it is not bothersome as long as it is not hostile. If it is not pro- , its fine. But the latitude has been tilting lately and discrimination is strong towards certain section of authors who do not toe the line and removal of rewards(and thus motivation for players to play it) is the most extreme step.

TL;DR:-
    The bottomline is, they can do the hell they want with the ratings, its never a botheration, but messing with rewards to orient people towards one kind of quest is morally wrong.
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The fifteen minute "invisible bar" got me this morning. I tested and tested my quest before publishing. Then with my live character and the Hero of the North starter weapon, I sliced through it in 8 minutes. So I had to go back and make it harder. I see where the goal is going to be continually moved.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I just did this quest, and I am pretty sure the actual reason no-one has run the quest is that they couldn't figure out where the house to rest is located. I started in protectors enclave, after finishing the first quest, but the link was broken and I had no idea where to go. Luckily, I read the journal and found out it was in the blacklake district, otherwise, I'd have never found it!

I suggest you make it say 'find house in blacklake district'.

Kudos on all the special effects, pretty neat!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Ok, so here is the explanation which I thought should have been obvious to everyone, but not everyone is well versed with foundry and aspects of 3D rendering.

The serious issues

1) How the budget limits are technically incorrect and morally evil

Budget limits are used to make maps easy to render. Fine. But is it all they do? No.

What they do? They are actively discouraging the players to make larger custom maps irrespective of how heavy they are on rendering side.

Explaination.

There are many kind of objects. Let us choose a scale of thousand then blade of grass may lie somewhere 20 while a detailed statute with etchings may lie somewhere 100. If you assign budget limit to each object, you will have a maxwell distribution curve which is very smooth with majority of values lying somewhere in the middle.

What was done?

Instead of concentrating on the budget limit system, the middle of the curve was quantumized as starting value. i.e. they clubbed the objects together by reducing the units of the limits of the objects. i.e. instead of Thousand, you just choose 5 to differentiate between objects and do not use decimals. This ends up rounding up all the numbers.

That way,
    1/1000 to 200/1000 becomes 1/5
    200/1000 to 400/1000 becomes 2/5
    800/1000 to 1000/1000 becomes 5/5

What it does?

As majority of objects lieing 1/5 region, most of the differentiation between the object s lost. So while earlier you could have used 5000 objects in the same limit, you can only use 1500 objects, even when the limit is same.

Why does this happens?

This is because the upper limit is fixed based on budget limits. So most of the objects which actually are 0.01, 0.03 etc. are counted as 1.

Who does it affects?

It affects the empty large map by artificially increasing the budget limits for them. So while actually the larger maps are way behind the budget limits, it is artificially increased for them.

Basically a step to curb the open world maps.

Is it deliberate?

We were told that budget limit is something they have implemented after a lot of testing. Hence it is not some kind of overlooking on their part. It is deliberate.

Why would they do that?

In order to "encourage" authors(I would use the term dictate) to not make open world maps.

2) Dictating players to play a certain kind of maps

Like the culprit above, the action of "15 min maps are qualifying for rewards" looks innocent. However it is not.

Why?

The quests which are less than 15 mins (say 10 mins) count 0 in terms of daily rewards. You cannot do the 3 5 mins quests to claim daily reward for them.

How is it wrong?

The devs are clearly trying to dictate players WHAT TO PLAY, not HOW TO PLAY. Basically they are handpicking the content for you.

How it should have been?

All other actions (like unfair star rating) dictate to players "how to play". i.e. players should spend 1 hour in foundry quests to be flagged for rewards, etc.

Here the time spent in doing quests less than 15 mins is the time wasted due to this unfair reward policy.

Is it deliberate?

Yes it sure is. Anybody applying his understanding to this system should easily be able to see how it has recently been changed for this particular game to cater to thempark style conventional quests.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lastly, why do they do it? Does it boosts their popularity? In short, is it wise?

I believe their discrimination comes from the data from MMO which is not an accurate portrayal of success. It is good to have conventional quests in game, but actively weeding out diversity by a discrimination policy in determining costs on author side and rewards on player side is a very stupid attitude.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rest minor issues with rating system are minor, but all other features also make sure that only certain quests which qualify their themepark agenda come up.

However rating is a minor issue as it is only a suggestion which can be overcome by increasing the overall quality your quests when compared to other run of the mill quests.

===========================================
    @izatar, you are deflecting the real issue. The second quests had got a lot of plays already - it is about first quest which did not qualify for rewards. However I had to apply a change to it in order to make it artificially longer and destroy my story in the process because of hostile attitude of the game system. And your perception is not required when I already have data from BW4 to compare with the same crowd.

Even when now both my quests qualify for rewards does not condone the discriminatory policy of devs in any way.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    . . . . . I do not notice any decrease in plays of my first two missions, which no longer qualify for the daily. In fact, I've been getting steady plays on them and gracious tips. I don't see how this is hurting anything. I see the 15 minute restriction as a way to make sure that ADs aren't flowing into the game too fast. I'd bet it has to do with the game economy as well as any marketing related to the AD/Zen Echange, which is to be expected so some degree. I have no issues with this 15 minute restriction.
  • Options
    volcxxxvolcxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, i dont like this system too. I prepared Blood and Sand to be 15-17 min JUST to only have green note.
    And after 3 days i have almost 4000 plays.
    When you have 1 hour of 1,5x EXP, AND 4 quest on lv 55+ to finish to get Astral diamonds, people will play quest close to 15 min to get most of it (EXP and astral diamonds)

This system is just not too good.
    5cm82e.jpg
    Old "Blood and Sand: Unchained" quest
    Played more than 100 000 times!
    > TRY IT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ecy4o6JqLc
  • Options
    kimbyrkimbyr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I got a review saying my quest is maybe too long, due to this 15 min. setup by the devs. So you cannot even create a story you want to tell in your way and your time length, you need to follow what the dev has set up now. A quest needs to be 15 min :/

And at the moment most players only play quest that is green??? How should all the other quests be played and when? They don't give AD even if they are 15+ min.

I find this system hostile against authors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Dark Wizard Campaign
    Search for @kimbyr
  • Options
    thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I can see where the player is going to base the length on the 15 minute minimum, but I dont disagree with the limitation. There ought to be something there. Otherwise you could make a super short quest, and I guarantee if it qualified, it would get most of the plays to do the daily. I dont even know how to write a quest less than 20 minutes. lol.. just the basics make it take that long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • Options
    sshatesshate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33
    edited April 2013
    So just make some of the side quests mandatory? Baldur's Gate 2 did that with the money-raising theme.
  • Options
    wtfgivemeanamewtfgivemeaname Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'd take pride in how many "plays" my quest/campaign got, when it's obvious most run of the mill players are going to gravitate to whatever gives them the fastests, simplest, path to items/exp/etc.

Shouldn't the reward of creating something be the act itself? And, if a couple of people who want more than the widest xp/item spigot they can find happen to play and enjoy something you create, isn't that just icing on the cake?

If, however, one is creating something for monetary purposes (gems), then having to pervert one's creative ideas to fit the consumer market is hardly something new.

I know I, when I'm logged in as a player, actively do search for something a little more above board than kill 7 of this and 3 of that "quests", but so many quests have such horrible descriptions written more as software release notes than something that might compel me to go "oh hey, that might be an interesting story, etc", that I can't say I've spent more than a few minutes doing so prior to going to the Foundry myself to make something a little deeper than what seems to be pumped out en masse currently.
  • Options
    acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited April 2013
    Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like nobody's mentioned this. Why do we have the 15 minute thing? It's meant to prevent farming and speedrunning.

Over in Star Trek Online, people used to publish Foundry missions which were just little maps with a few interactable objects. So you hop in, click or press F next to the objects, then get out. Bam. You have your nice little currency reward for less than a minute of gameplay.

What this meant was that the most-played and most-rated missions in the STO Foundry became all these tiny glowie-maps. Actual story missions were pushed down the list, or worse, downvoted via one-starring.

So a minimum-time restriction was introduced to the STO Foundry to prevent abuse like that. The idea being that players should only get rewards from missions that actually tell a story. The trouble is, they can't exactly screen every mission to make sure it's an actual story, not a farming or speedrun tool...so they used a time restriction instead.

The 15 minute window is a measure intended to help storytellers, not hurt them. That's the idea, anyway. By doing this, it makes sure that actual substantial mission content gets the most players, not these...teeny-tiny speed farms with barely any written text.

Trouble is, the time restriction means that content like the quests in this thread will be sort of screwed over. But it's not like Cryptic has some kind of nefarious evil hatred for open-ended mission maps, and wants to exterminate all sandbox creators. It's a side effect. It's collateral damage.

EDIT: To clarify, I feel your pain - I've almost scrapped my own plans for an open-ended sidequest-heavy story because of this.
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I created a ~1minute quest over the weekend. Not even telling in the description much detail, but rather trick the player to kill monsters anyway... of course noone played it yet and this is fine with me, because it is there.

Personally, I don't do dailies (tried this once).

It is quite hard to find any other quests than go into the dungeon and fight ridiculous hard opponents (boss-mobs every two meters). Those Death-Witches are very common at the moment with their ability to heal their group and respawn monsters, just to annoy the players (Guardian Fighter has interruption as long as they come alone and not 2-3 of them).

So, just be happy that your quest is there and it will be played ;)

p.s. how are the times measured anyway? I could play a quest in 1min, because most of it happens on the official map and not in the dungeon.
  • Options
    aggropotatoaggropotato Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    The way I see it, constraints and limitations are part of the creative process. There's no such thing as total creative freedom. A painter works with the characteristics of his canvas, the drying time of his paints, the imprecision of his brushes. An animator does the best with the technology and tools he has at his disposal and delivers by the deadline.

I personally don't think that the 15-min requirement is "hostile to authors"; as acylion explained above, the rationale is usually far more mundane: to prevent abuse.

The fun is in the act of creation, particularly for something that's a hobby and not work; if it turns out to be popular and well-liked, that's just icing on the cake.

Creatives who insist on creative freedom usually end up creating ... nothing.
    JtuEMvw.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The solution is simple: the reward should scale with how long the player actually spent in the quest.

Clearly, the current scheme is exploitable- just design a quest that can be completed in 1 minute if you know the right method, but longer by the ignorant masses, or by an army of alts. Thus, the current system seems designed to be cheated, as it bases your reward not on how long you played, but on how long other people played.

Having actual time played also solves a horrible issue: I make a quest that averages 15 minutes at the start, but then people start farming it since its exactly 15 minutes, and do it so fast that the time goes down. Once a quest goes below 15 minutes again, it is doomed; getting the average back up will never happen.
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    izatar wrote: »
    The solution is simple: the reward should scale with how long the player actually spent in the quest.

It does, actually. Or at least is supposed to, based on what the devs have told us since the beginning.
  • Options
    fyrestorme1fyrestorme1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    @OP

I can understand you're upset because cryptic set up the rewards for doing quests in such a way that it would hurt traffic to your quest, but don't you think you're overreacting just a little?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    It does, actually. Or at least is supposed to, based on what the devs have told us since the beginning.
    O_o. Astral diamonds are rewarded for the daily foundry quest for completing a quest that had an average of 15 minutes or higher before you started the quest. If you complete the quest in 1 minute, you still complete your daily. As I recall, a recent patch note even specified that you keep your reward even if your time makes the average less than 15 minutes.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yeah okay, I wasn't talking about that reward. I see now that you were talking about something other than what I thought you were. I was referring to the chest reward at the end of a quest.

Your suggestion is probably not a good idea. The players who pick a random Foundry quest for their Daily, only to have it be a 1-minute quest and receiving almost nothing for their trouble, are not going to be happy about it.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Well, maybe the first time they will be upset, but afterwards, they might wise up and pick longer quests, or just spend more time exploring the quest before completing it.
  • Options
    fyrestorme1fyrestorme1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    I do agree with the OP's assessment of budget limits - to an extent.

I don't think it's right that we have the same detail budget on a large map as we do on a small map.

Larger maps need to have more objects populating them than small maps - in order to make them feel natural or not "empty".

As it is currently, we are limited to the same number of detail objects, but spread out over a larger area (in large maps) as opposed to in smaller maps - which has the end result of making larger maps look very artificial and empty.
  • Options
    myrkolithmyrkolith Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The main problem and what the OP is getting at is the same issue my own quest will be facing at first until I finish the other maps. When you don't want to make a quest that Step 1:go talk, Step 2: go kill, Step 3:get object Step 4:Go back and give it Step 5: get reward.

Gil's quest (which was incredible by the way you should play it whether it's 15min or not) Meant you could literally go in and do what you wanted, sure there was a main point, but there was also all this other stuff to discover and enjoy. The problem with a hard limit is, if no one searches for other stuff or goes off the beaten path, then the quest won't qualify for rewards and no one will play it.

As it stands everyone is now using the Foundry as a reward wheel. They play only the quests that are are closest to the 15min mark without taking longer. Anything under they won't bother with unless they are friends, guildmates etc.

If this was made actual playtime inside the quest for rewards, then players could play any quest they wanted. as long as they spend 15min in the quest they get the rewards, and can't farm the quest in 2mins etc.

For my own quest for example you begin the quest in a starting area, then branch out on 3 entirely different stories within the same Adventure. But I'd have to build it so each of those paths are 15min long otherwise it won't qualify unless someone plays Path 1 only etc. I build my Adventures with the same thing Gil likes to add. Replay value, so you can play the quest again and actually find something new you didn't the last time.

When my quest is done you can play through it 3 times and have a different adventure each time. That is my goal but the current 15min limit not being based on actual time spent in the Foundry quest is a problem. Instead of having it based on average playtime, just make it you must spend at least 15min inside any Foundry quest in order to get rewards. It's not exploitable since everyone would have to spend a minimum of 15min in each quest.
    Conduit of Time: 7 Chapter Campaign in progress (Currently Chapter 6 Released)
    Search @Longshire for 12 Foundry Quests, all are story driven adventures
    Story -- Medium/Heavy, Combat -- Light/Medium, Lore -- Medium/Heavy
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    myrkolith wrote: »
    As it stands everyone is now using the Foundry as a reward wheel. They play only the quests that are are closest to the 15min mark without taking longer. Anything under they won't bother with unless they are friends, guildmates etc.

Do you have anything to back up this statement with? The 15-minute limit counts once a day at most, and I haven't seen any indication that what you're saying is true. People still played my second quest despite it not qualifying for a while.

Let's not use grand sweeping statements not founded in actual fact. That only does all of us a disservice and muddles the discussion. Apologies if you actually have a factual basis for your claim.
  • Options
    veeiveei Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just want my 23 min, 4 star ranked quest to get more that 10 plays. :(

It would qualify if people would play it but in a sea of quests it gets lost. Needs some fine tuning, but for the most part everything is there. Including story line.

So, fellow Silverstars/Moonstars. Play "Progenitors Shadow: Book One, The Skullcracker Tribe". Take the time to read the dialog. It sets up alot of the story line for later quests.

:)
    Rigas Crimstone, Officer

"Perfecting the art of being a meatshield since 1998"

Banners of the Light
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    For whatever it's worth, I make a point of scrolling far down the list when playing Foundry quests. I'm well aware of our plight.
  • Options
    maddllamamaddllama Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Work with the tools you are given or burn your creativity elsewhere.

Gill... sorry to see your quests get hurt, but the system is set up the way that it is to prevent exploitation. Why do you think they are taking so long to even look at adding harvesting nodes or allowing us to add treasure chests? Someone out there is going to take th tools and they are going to exploit it in some way. They have to put in these limitations.

I have played the STO farming missions... yeah, I won't go there.
    5444373MbVxa.png
    @kmhknight

My campaign: The Madness Plague.
    My quest: Blacklake Gold

My guild: "The Older" Age 30+, Casual
  • Options
    cakuucakuu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited April 2013
    Sorry to hear you're disheartened, Gil :( Please continue to promote your work for the merits which you built them upon, you're sure to find your audience (and you will!). Somehow, I don't believe the act of placing a 15 minute limit for rewards was meant as an insult to authors like yourself. I agree that it sucks that its weighted in such a way (and all that comes with it), but I also have to side with others in their opinion: it was probably the best option available for averting some kinds of Foundry exploitation. These devs and players are not your enemies. :(

The lesser of the evils here is to augment your individual campaigns with a mandatory 15 minute activity. Yes, it's a restraint, but as creative people we work BEST when overcoming challenges. I know you can too. So chin up, I and many others would love to see more of what you have in store-- and play with you, too!

As for the 15 minute marking, I noticed that the current average time of most quests were significantly impacted by the Founder's rewards (such as the Greycloak weapons and readily available Companions) allowing low-level players burn through content much faster than originally intended. I expect it will even out a bit more once the game is fully Open Beta, and the flood of non-Founder Enhanced players go through that content again.
  • Options
    borysthenisborysthenis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I should point out as well that when I did my Daily yesterday, it was a part of a campaign. Several of the other quests in the campaign failed to meet the standards of the Daily, but I kept going through them. As with many other things, sometimes the less traditional campaigns might need to be sweetened with things like the Daily early on, but will hook players into seeing them through regardless of rewards.

I also don't think a lot of players will only play the Foundry content for the Daily Rewards. Unlike STO or even City of Heroes before it, the Neverwinter Foundry was a part of the game from day one, and UGC is inexorably tied to D&D in general. Yeah, there's that 'punch the monkey' aspect (man, that reference will go over most peoples' heads), but the way the game is organized, there's a lot of reason to think the Foundry content will see a lot of adoption in general.

At least I hope so -- I'm heading to the opposite problem; my content is going to run considerably more than 15 minutes run time. I doubt the Daily reward would be enough of a hook, since other content will give it to people inside of fifteen minutes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I had the ambition to not only go farther than man had gone before,
    but to go as far as it was possible to go"

--Captain James Cook