test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need Feedback: Direct3D and DirectX Errors

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
Hi all,

If you've experienced either of the following errors during Beta Weekend Events, please let us know in this thread. We're gathering some data and your assistance would be super helpful:

1) Err: Unable to initialize Direct3D. This application requires Direct3D 9.0c. This failure may indicate the installed Direct3D version does not meet that requirement. Rebooting, reinstalling DirectX, updating video drivers, or contacting customer service may help resolve this issue.

2) Err: Unable to create DirectX render device! One of the following may help you resolve this issue: restart your computer, ensure your video drivers are up to date, contact technical support.

Thanks a lot! :)
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• Options
    hithereyouhithereyou Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm particularly interested in if people can tell us if they see it randomly, or if it's consistent for them. We have some things we're working on, and can send custom builds of the client for people test. So please let us know if you've seen these errors.

Thanks!

Dave
  • Options
    veeiveei Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    When I attempt to start the game in anything OTHER than windowed mode using DirextX9, the PC locks up and requires a hard reboot. The lockups occur in windowed full screen and full screen. It is reproducible and happens every time. To play the game I have to use DirectX11 which has no issues.

My system specs are:

GeForce 660 TI 2Gb - Drivers are most recent published drivers
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64bit
    8Gb RAM
    Xeon W3520 Quad Core Processor
    Rigas Crimstone, Officer

"Perfecting the art of being a meatshield since 1998"

Banners of the Light
  • Options
    vestinious1vestinious1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    hithereyouhithereyou Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi Veei,

This isn't the particular crash we're concerned about in this thread; it sounds more like a driver problem. However, you can send us the OS crash dump, and we'll share it with Nvidia, in the case that it's a problem with their driver. I'll send you instructions.

Dave
  • Options
    blackmoonblackmoon Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I get Direct 3d errors when I try to change game resolutions. Or when I try to alt tab out to see something on internet you can leave game easy enough but soon as I try to get back into game it crashes with Direct3d errors that it cannot find the drivers. I was however able to reboot system and change resolutions once. But soon as you go into game and try again it reverts back to crashes.

I am running it on windows 8 do not have any other issues with any other games under windows 8
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hi Blackmoon,

Can you tell me which errors (CrypticError IDs are most useful, but the Fatal Error message text might be sufficient) you are experiencing? Would you mind sending me a DXDIAG report from your computer?

Dave
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Blackmoon,

I believe I've managed to find the error report for the crash you're experiencing (E_FAIL while resetting the device). It's something I'm working on, but I don't have an ETA on a fix, partially because I can't repro it, so I'm making some speculative changes to the engine. Does it happen randomly, or just when using fullscreen modes?

Dave
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Okay - as of date and time of this post - just got this error:

"FATAL ERROR" (this is the first crash I've had since playing Thursday morning) - no Cryptic crash reporter. This appears to be a Windows XP Error box - verbatim:

Title: "Fatal Error"
    "Technical Details: E_OUTOFMEMORY while creating 2D texture size 1024 x 1024 (11mips, RTEX_DXT5), 810,10 MB RAM, 86,84 MB virtual space available"
    OK [button]

I dunno what this means - I've never ever before seen anything like this - ever! LOL

I also dunno if this is Direct X related - and I suppose it could be my machine. But I figure better safe than sorry so I am reporting it.

Date/Time: Sat, Apr 27, 9:08 AM

Only things I did recently in game is purchase the War Horse (Sword Coast Armored mount - purple) and summon a new companion (the Phoenix one I won in a lockbox) - I was headed to a Protector's Enclave Gate to return to Sword Coast zone - I reached the gate, F'd and selected zone on map. Transition screen - and either before transition completed or during the transition - BOOM.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Angrysprite,

FYI, since you posted, this definitely is a Direct3D failure. Unfortunately, it can be triggered by a bunch of conditions, so the error itself doesn't always indicate a graphics problem, per se. It's not a startup failure though. A few of us are working on bugs that can lead to Direct3D failing in this manner. In this case it seems that you have suffered a memory leak.

I'd really like to talk with someone who has one of these two Direct3D startup errors, but I do appreciate your reporting.

Dave
  • Options
    mrvukmrvuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Greetings,

I had to switch to using DX9 for a more stable game. I'm running 2 GTX 580's in SLI and when I used DX11 beta, it would crash every hour. Sorry, I don't have any errors to report on the crash. It would grey out my game and bring up the generic windows error box "program has stoped responding". I'll send you whatever you need if you tell me where to look for the crash log info.

Thanks,
    WOLF

Edit: I'm using the beta Nvidia driver 320.00 with the SLI "fix" and windows 7 64bit ver.
  • Options
    tedebearnctedebearnc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mrvuk wrote: »
    Greetings,
    I had to switch to using DX9 for a more stable game. I'm running 2 GTX 580's in SLI and when I used DX11 beta, it would crash every hour. Sorry, I don't have any errors to report on the crash. It would grey out my game and bring up the generic windows error box "program has stoped responding". I'll send you whatever you need if you tell me where to look for the crash log info.

Thanks,
    WOLF

I've been experiencing almost the exact same thing. When using DX11 my screen will randomly go black with a Windows 7 loading circle cursor, then after a few seconds it will go white, then after a few more it goes back to black then will eventually pop up with the "This Program Has Stopped Responding" box. This started in BW4 when DX11 was introduced and I didn't connect it at to that at first. When I first started having problems I updated my video card driver and it seemed to go away but I guess I just got lucky. But it started again last night.

Oddly enough, it doesn't happen in Protector's Enclave. During BW4 it only happened in the Tower District. I moved from the Enclave to Blacklake to the Tower District to test it and I could spend any amount of time in the first two but in the Tower District it'd crash anywhere from one to five minutes. Last night I experienced it in Blacklake but only once as I was close to finishing there when it happened. Today I was in the Tower District and had been there a good 30 or 45 minutes before it occurred and when I logged back in it happened again within a minute or so. I changed back to DX9 and haven't had a problem since. I need to do a bit more testing to be 100% sure DX11 is the cause but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

I tried to find a crash log with any relevant info but didn't see anything.

Setup:
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom II 940 x4
    nVidia GTX 580 - with latest driver
    8 GB RAM
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hi tedebearnc and mrvuk,

Thanks for the error details. Unfortunately, I think you're both hitting a case in which our error reporting software is not able to send us a crash report. I suspect this is because the crash is happening in a user-mode-driver thread (haha, how about some jargon for you?!) or a worker thread for Direct3D. These get reported to Windows Error Reporting instead, which is why you see the regular Windows application error dialog. If it's actually graphics-related (it could also be audio) then it's hard to say whether these are driver or Direct3D runtime bugs, or if our game is triggering some problem in those components. I'll need to ask someone on our infrastructure team if there is a way we can trap those errors, at least on your machines.

Dave
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Oops - I duped my last post, so I'm editing it down to this!

Dave
  • Options
    naviernavier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    I am having some issues with FPS = Frames Per Second Running ATI Crossfire HD6500 2Gb GPU X 2 = 4 Gb GPU DDR3 RAM. Anyhow, can you please implement some better options for SLI and Crossfore users please :) NAv
  • Options
    lanhelinlanhelin Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Today I got an E_OUTOFMEMORY Fatal Error Crash to Desktop ("while creating a texture")with two different toons (Mage, Cleric), both Level 9 and after I returned from Blacksea Quarter to Prospector's Enclave. With the Mage I got it during a dialogue with Knox, with the Cleric while running around in town.

After the game crashed playing the Mage, I downloaded the Neverwinter.exe from here, renamed the existing, relaunched the game and choosed the repair option. A few hours later the same issue occured with the Cleric.

So I googled and found this 6-year-old possible solution and I tried what is proposed there in the quote tags. The error did not occur anymore so far, but I do not know if it's just a delay for it (because after the change I could not play as long as I did before) or really a solution, since I do not know too what this registry change exactly does. Apparently something with memory^^

my old system: Win XP 32bit, Radeon HD 5750 1 GB, 2 GB RAM - NWo runs fine apart from that.
  • Options
    techonictechonic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I got this error:
    Couldn't create D3D device. IDirect3D9::CreateDevice failed with hr D3DERR_DEVICELOST (0x88760868)
  • Options
    druelspittdruelspitt Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have a Windows XP Pro 32bit system with 4GB of system ram. Was getting the Direct3D Out of Memory, Can't create buffer, initialize device, etc. Game ran fine in starting area, then crashed twice on the bridge and then once in the Enclave it would crash in less than 2 miniutes if it even came up at all. Tried the fix linked to ealier Which I'll repost here;

*** Possible fix for Direct3D Errors such as "Out of Memory" ***

Here's how you open Registry Editor:

Start Menu > Run > regedit

Surf down to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session

Manager\Memory Management

Double click on "PagedPoolSize". Hexadecimal is listed first. Change

the "Value Data" to one of these below:
    (Note: You only need to enter EITHER Hexadecimal or Decimal. They both

are the same.)

Megabytes Hexadecimal Decimal
    192Mb 0c000000 201326592
    256Mb 10000000 268435456
    384Mb 18000000 402653184

Once you are done, make sure you reboot your computer.

I went with the 384mb option then later changed to 192mb so more real memory would be availabe. This however didn't fix the crashing. I then remembered a fix I entered for another MMO that would exceed the 2GB limit for apps under a 32bit OS that did seem to allow that game to run for hours before crashing. I removed part of that fix and then this game ran for 2 1/2 hours before crashing. I don't know if the registry mod stated here has anything to do with it (I didn't back it out) but the game is playable now. Still will crash but that doesn't happen for several hours. So this game has a memory leak somewhere that needs to be fixed.

Heres the fix for apps that exceed the 2GB limit assuming you have at least 3GB of memory. If you've already made this modification you should try altering it to see if it helps Neverwinter run.

This mod requires modifiing the "Startup and Recovery" options. So make sure if you add/modify this you don't make any typeo's or your OS my no longer boot!

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Modified last line (Do not Modify any other Line!):
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /3GB /userva=2560

I changed it to:
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /userva=2560

This change requires a reboot to take effect.

This fix required you add "/3GB /userva=2560" to the last line in the "operating systems" section. Your OS version may look different but it should be the last line in there. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the "/3GB" tells OS to use 3GB of memory (and only 3GB even if you have more it seems) for application use and to allow the user environment to use 2.5GB of memory. I removed the "/3GB" option, which I don't think was really needed to begin with, and Neverwinter was able to run. I hope this helps track down these anoying DX errors.
  • Options
    nodensnttnodensntt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hello,

First of all, I'm an independent game and software developer so I do understand technical jargon and I can help if traces are needed etc.

The issue:

After a while running, although lately it happens almost immediately (perhaps affected by a patch), I am getting a great amount of stale spikes (as verified with /fpsgraph 1). To the point where the game is unplayable. I have noticed that forcing single GPU (the system is using SLI, more on the configuration bellow) makes the issue much better. I have not tried switching to the DX9 render path but I will do so tomorrow and update with my findings. Also running in Windowed mode helps (the graph becomes a lot cleaner). Reducing graphics quality after the issue has manifested does not affect the issue.

My development system which consists of:
    ASUS Rampage Extreme IV (X79)
    Intel 3930K
    16GB RAM
    2xEVGA 680 SLI (Reference cards)
    Windows 8 Enterprise
    The game is installed on a RAID5 SSD array running off an LSI MegaRAID 9260 controller.

The system is absolutely stable as it is my development system and I maintain it thoroughly. I am absolutely sure there is no third-party software related issue involved. The nvidia driver used is 320.00. Also there are no options forced via the driver.

Testing on one of my testbed systems with a 275GTX, i5-750, P55 chipset, same nvidia driver version and Windows 8 Professional, I can not replicate the issue. The game runs as expected of the 275GTX card.

As a sidenote my development system has VS2012/WDK installed. I doubt there could be any kind of library conflict but I'm mentioning it anyway.. Let me know if you need any further information.

Regards

EDIT: No difference with the DX9 render path.

EDIT2: After further investigation we observed similar issues while profiling our own code, although to a much lesser extend (our engine is not nearly as graphics intensive as Cryptic's). We currently believe the issue is not related to the game. We think the issue is related to the Sandy Bridge-E CPU and PCIe GEN3 support. The SB-E CPU is not certified for GEN3 and due to signaling issues nvidia was disabling GEN3 driver support. We had no issue with it enabled with the previous 3930K sample. Apparently since we switched to another 3930K CPU sample, a week ago, this is no longer the case. Disabling GEN3 fixes this issue for Neverwinter. I apologize for this misreporting as it seems it's on our end. Nonetheless you should keep this information in mind, in case people are reporting similar issues (although diagnosing thi particular issue may be difficult for the average end-user).
  • Options
    dylangalipeaudylangalipeau Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I got this three times:
    Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) while creating index buffer.
    Technical Details:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660.
    I installed the most current drivers for my graphics card. When the game crashes, my monitor will flash out a random color, mostly white, then, if I don't quit fast enough, it will slow all of the audio coming out of my PC and it locks my computer up.
    I've never experienced any situation like this before so I am quite confused. Any help would be appreciated. :)
  • Options
    derkrieger007derkrieger007 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    techonic wrote: »
    I got this error:
    Couldn't create D3D device. IDirect3D9::CreateDevice failed with hr D3DERR_DEVICELOST (0x88760868)

I have the same problem, anyone knows a solution for this error?
  • Options
    mortarrkangmortarrkang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After seeing folks chatting about how you could enable d3d11, I did so and the game ran fine. I logged off for the night a bit later; today, after logging in to the launcher and pressing "Play," got two pop-up boxes in a row (both with the same message):

Couldn't create D3D device. D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain failed E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)

This was followed by a third pop-up box with the prompt of

If I click on the "Options" on the launcher and select "Safe Mode," then I am able to launch the game without a crash. However, I have to manually readjust my windowed mode, screen resolution, etc again. I've given it permission to verify the files and even selected "Force verify" from the same Options menu, but it doesn't appear to actually do anything ("Patching" does appear under the shard select window, and the button says "Cancel" instead of "Play," but there's no other indication of a verification process.)

EDIT: I thought I had already swapped it back to d3d9 mode, but I hadn't; having done so, it no longer crashes
  • Options
    k3m3d0k3m3d0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm having this issue a lot while running Nevrwinter Online. :shocked:

I'm running with Windows 7 and Radeon HD 4850 (as dxdiag above)...

Crashs:
    http://i.imm.io/14YcQ.png
    http://i.imm.io/14YcO.png

(they are differents links O != Q :sins: )

Dxdiag:

http://sharetext.org/9Eu6
    [SIGPIC]Oromeh@k3m3d0[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    k3m3d0k3m3d0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I
    [SIGPIC]Oromeh@k3m3d0[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    despidespi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    I have pixel shader error
    Pixel shader compilation failure.(compile error code= E_Fail0x0004005):Shaders_processed/Dyn/Templates/Character/Template_character
    Like in this topic:
    http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=9311&page=2
  • Options
    thomtastickthomtastick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm crashing every 2-5 minutes when in game. I can't hardly complete anything, and have tried a lot of the suggestions here. I'm not sure what to do now because I want to play the game but every time I try I just get a black screen with skipping sound and my computer restarts.
    NVIDIA 480 GTX card running updated drivers
  • Options
    kaasdoekkaasdoek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    using Dx11 you get this at last boss of ice cave

9gdabc.jpg

can't see aoe red warnings
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kaasdoek:

We have a bug report open on the black geo.

Dave
  • Options
    cathgar457cathgar457 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Doing Bloody Pit Foundry quest and got error, running DX11 in game.

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while creating a texture.

Technical details: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED while creating 2D
    texture sixe 128 x 128 (8mips, RTEX_BGRA_U8)

system:
    Intel i5-2500K @ 4500mhz (watercooled)
    16.0 GB DDR3
    GTX670 (320.14 Drivers)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Have also noticed that since the 2nd last patch, I have been receiving white texture boxes above NPC's heads for a second on occasion and some brief graphic glitches, notice in forums that others are having the same glitches since the same patch.
  • Options
    neverhofneverhof Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Direct X 9 seems to have been causing me huge fps drops around mobs or players using stealth, once I switched to Dx 11 it virtually solved the issue.
  • Options
    redwaterxredwaterx Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    you guys make me want to dash my ****ing brains against a rock. what even is this.