test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need, greed, pass

vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I know this has been said before, but with the AH as a means of getting Astral Diamonds every group I am in people just roll need on all blues/purples. Please in such a day and age add where if it is not for your class that you cannot roll need on it. Im so sick of watching upgrades go to other classes that cant use just to see them pop up on the AH later. Your economy system promotes this as essentially free AD for need rollers.

So we have a community of no talking need rolling greedy peeps essentially. All in the name of the mighty astral diamond.

Cheers!
Fighter.jpg
Post edited by vernednd on

Comments

• chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    In before "just get a guild"
  • erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I never need items i don't need for 1 simple reason: i'm not selfish. Never did, never will do. But yeah, every game is plenty of selfish players and the only way to settle this is to automatize the loot system in order to auto roll need for class items, greed non-class items and need misc. Then luck decides and markets get alive
    chomag wrote: »
    In before "just get a guild"
    that usually happens inside guilds aswell
  • tjbaintjbain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I always pass on off class items. And it bothers me when I see people Need on items they can not use. I've come to the realization that being part of a good guild is very important in this game.
    Catch ya on the flip side,
    TJBain
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    On Dragon, everyone seems to roll greed unless they want to wear it and suspect it may be better than what they have, even if it is greens their class can wear. I always check how the group rolls and then go with that. Maybe I have been lucky with my late night groups. I agree that needing on stuff that is not for one's class should not be possible, though.

I also wish drops in dungeons were already identified. It is a little weird to roll on unidentified items.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    On Dragon, everyone seems to roll greed unless they want to wear it and suspect it may be better than what they have, even if it is greens their class can wear. I always check how the group rolls and then go with that. Maybe I have been lucky with my late night groups. I agree that needing on stuff that is not for one's class should not be possible, though.

I also wish drops in dungeons were already identified. It is a little weird to roll on unidentified items.

Not at all for you can still trade it. The risk consists only on using 1 ID scroll
  • chilledjuicedchilledjuiced Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hello :)
  • gotemikegotemike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is there a party kick feature? If so tell people at the start of the group only need on usable items, any one that breaks this common rule does not deserve to be in your party.
  • solmyr14solmyr14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited April 2013
    I know the leader can change the loot rules (at least they could in BW4), wasn't there one for to prevent you from rolling need on items you couldn't use?
  • chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    gotemike wrote: »
    Is there a party kick feature? If so tell people at the start of the group only need on usable items, any one that breaks this common rule does not deserve to be in your party.

There doesn't seem to be any. Also no way to get a replacement so kicking someone could very well mean you can't finish the dungeon.
    edited April 2013
    chomag wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any. Also no way to get a replacement so kicking someone could very well mean you can't finish the dungeon.

But still there should, devs said nothing from betas would be removed :| that's kinda strange
  • devilman0xdevilman0x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For a long time I was actually unclear whether 'greed' or 'need' was what I should choose when I roll simply because unless im with friends or a potential guild/clan of friends I am just more the type to explore and enjoy the game world solo while still interacting w/players outside a group setting.
    Regardless of what the polite way may be, sometimes people will just need roll anything whether they can immediately use it or just need rolling to sell.
    But that doesnt stop the rest of us from being more courteous after all. I for example will only need if its something I can use on my current character or i will simply ask the group if anyone else was going to need and possibly rolling to pass it on to an alt if no one minds.
    :) It may not be happening all the time but there are still polite folks out there
  • adamaantadamaant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Usually a simple reminder at the start of the dungeon that "Please don't take gear you don't need". People don't like being judged by others, so most will abide.
  • fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I have to say I'm a bit surprised and disappointed nothing has been done about this. The current method simply makes no sense and is very backwards thinking. Very unfortunate
  • drewbert1drewbert1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Seriously? I know need/greed/pass is wow parlance and a system derived from wow. But they have the green/blue/purple color schemes for item quality as well?

I wish they would make this game more like the old Neverwinter Nights and less like Wow.
  • fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    drewbert1 wrote: »
    Seriously? I know need/greed/pass is wow parlance and a system derived from wow. But they have the green/blue/purple color schemes for item quality as well?

I wish they would make this game more like the old Neverwinter Nights and less like Wow.

It is pretty much the standard in any mmo anymore regardless where it started. Not sure how a need/greed system "wowifies" anything. I can get other aspects but that seems really pushing it.
  • neolitheneolithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You should only be able to need on items you can actually use. It wouldn't solve all the problems but it would help a little. They should also just make it so those dungeon specific blue/purp items are bound once you pick them up.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    drewbert1 wrote: »

It feels every bit like NWW1 (especially one of the persistent worlds). The atmosphere is there and it is a great ride! It does not feel or behave like WoW at all, item colors aside (which aren't unique to WoW anyway).
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    make it simple, just block classes that cannot use the item from needing...problem solved
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    make it simple, just block classes that cannot use the item from needing...problem solved

And make anything that is needed on bound to character. Implementing both of these would (almost) completely resolve the issue. If you really Really REALLY wanted to go the full hog, make any needed items unsellable even for gold ;)
  • nwobrocknwobrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm actually a fan of FFA loot. If someone gets an item you want....buy the darn thing from him...trade or barter for it.

I do not like need/greed/pass.

I would prefer if there were only two buttons that said "Roll" and "Pass".

Just my opinion.
  • streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vernednd wrote: »
    I know this has been said before, but with the AH as a means of getting Astral Diamonds every group I am in people just roll need on all blues/purples. Please in such a day and age add where if it is not for your class that you cannot roll need on it. Im so sick of watching upgrades go to other classes that cant use just to see them pop up on the AH later. Your economy system promotes this as essentially free AD for need rollers.

So we have a community of no talking need rolling greedy peeps essentially. All in the name of the mighty astral diamond.

Cheers!

Like people say, find a guild who are not filled with loot*****s. Also, kick those loot *****s out of the group when they start up. This is common in every MMO that has party loot :D
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    People will have tons of alts , so rolling need on everything will become mandatory soon after the soft release . Now don't quote me on this but you know how the mmorpg community is , people love to reroll new character every now and then ;]
  • nitemaresbnitemaresb Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vernednd wrote: »

Cheers!

I 100% agree. with how long and intense some of the dungeons are, and the fact that the bosses only drop 1 blue gear item each, Most of the time the dungeons are a waste of time ESPECIALLY if something drops for you and another class rolls need. that and how little the exp gain is in dungeons, you'd be better off just grouping with guildies and forget about pug'n. or just dungeon at 60.
  • jaddaljaddal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I only had it come up once and yea everyone rolled on the items. What I don't get is the items required an ID scroll. So how the hell do I know if I need it before I even know what the stats are?

Is that the way it is, roll on items before you even know the stats? That seems exceptionally inefficient from a gaming perspective.
  • speiberbobspeiberbob Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Agree.
    need roll* shouldnt be allowed if you
    Speib it!
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Need only enabled for class or usable items - just like every other MMO that's gone through this.
    It amazes me after all these years they got this wrong.

Although, I'd actually prefer the way we normally do it in all the PnP D&D groups - divide it up at the end.
    Once the quest/event/dungeon is completed, you examine/identify all the treasure, and then
    you decide which items you need, and if more than 1 person needs an item, they roll for it.
    Everything else is automatically "greed" and distributed (or sold, and the money divided).
  • horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Since it won't change, in time if you are in a PUG, you will just have to Need everything. Perhaps when you join a group send out a message "Is anyone planning on Needing all loot?" If someone answers yes, then you Need everything as well.
  • niblnibl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So since BW3 (or even earlier) they didn't changed it... (I was quite sure that some dev said that they will change it)
  • vandraegonvandraegon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ugg. The party mechanics apparently need a lot of fine tuning and functionality added. How much of this is due to this being a F2P game...
  • faergorrfaergorr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Guys, what about the chests? Has their looting in a party been changed yet, or not?