test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Argh, what kind of mages is this?

ytipshytipsh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Really, Mages that dont use Staffs? Mages that cast spells like Goku casting some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that he does? Control Mage isnt even close then a Mage of DnD.
Im a Mage lover of DnD, like Raistlin Majere of Dragon Lance, and else.. and, a Orb that fly around you? arrr... no, thx.
"I See Only Death"
Post edited by ytipsh on

Comments

• Options
    riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Welcome to 4th Edition D&D.
    Don't let the door hit ya.
  • Options
    voodoopapavoodoopapa Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Its actually a very good representation of 4e control wizards, all the way down to the sphere.
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yeah It is a huge let down I will be honest, but it is the class. I'll be leaving Neverwinter for archeage where I can wear robes, have a staff and cast awesome spells....until then I am going to enjoy Neverwinter and blow cash on it
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • Options
    piratedrugallpiratedrugall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited April 2013
    There's this thing called 4th Edition...
  • Options
    lackofcertaintylackofcertainty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    4e wizards do make me sad, but on the plus side 4e melee classes became a helluva lot more interesting. (now if they would just squish together tweaked 3.X spellcasting with 4e melee, I'd be a happy man)
  • Options
    itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, when they add the Warlock in, you will probably be pleased. That is your Raistlin type there.
  • Options
    demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    This isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not what it does not.
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • Options
    ebonsonebonson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either.

Made me think of this for some reason :cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vpaQ-6mJpzk#t=11s
  • Options
    madqhuemadqhue Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They chose to implement Control Wizard primarily as "Frost Mage" from WoW. As a result 30 year old standard spells like "Fireball" or "Lightning Bolt" or even "Color Spray" just don't exist in the game.

I think they could have made some different choices in how they presented the Controller archetype and the way in which this was expressed in Wizard spells, but for now we're stuck with Frosty the Snow Mage until such time as they implement War Wizard,
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    ytipsh wrote: »
    Really, Mages that dont use Staffs? Mages that cast spells like Goku casting some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that he does? Control Mage isnt even close then a Mage of DnD.
    Im a Mage lover of DnD, like Raistlin Majere of Dragon Lance, and else.. and, a Orb that fly around you? arrr... no, thx.

Welcome to DnD, you must be new here.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gaymer87 wrote: »
    Yeah It is a huge let down I will be honest, but it is the class. I'll be leaving Neverwinter for archeage where I can wear robes, have a staff and cast awesome spells....until then I am going to enjoy Neverwinter and blow cash on it

ArcheAge is an asian game, its overrated and the combat is like WOW(tab target ancient BS).... have fun. I tried the korean version, sure it has nice features, some sandbox too, but also it is developed in Asia, always gonna be way behind the asian version and will fail here like all Asian mmos.

I will try Elder Scrolls. It at least has a somewhat action combat with blocking and more thinking to it and developed in the West and based on a beloved RPG series.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Mages use many implements like staff, tome, orb etc.

however this particular build seems locked to orb just like cleric is locked to the pendulum.

Unlike misinformation from other people, it has nothing to do with 4e in which all builds of "REAL" clerics carry a mace.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Mages use many implements like staff, tome, orb etc.

however this particular build seems locked to orb just like cleric is locked to the pendulum.

Unlike misinformation from other people, it has nothing to do with 4e in which all builds of "REAL" clerics carry a mace.

Cryptic is DM.
    DM doesn't want your mace wielding Clerics.
    ('-')
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    Welcome to 4th Edition D&D.
    Don't let the door hit ya.
    lmao!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    johnny305 wrote: »
    ArcheAge is an asian game, its overrated and the combat is like WOW(tab target ancient BS).... have fun. I tried the korean version, sure it has nice features, some sandbox too, but also it is developed in Asia, always gonna be way behind the asian version and will fail here like all Asian mmos.

I will try Elder Scrolls. It at least has a somewhat action combat with blocking and more thinking to it and developed in the West and based on a beloved RPG series.
    you sir, smell racist.
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah for me the weapon is just odd,I love to see a staff/stave,or a tomes(aka a spell book),a wand would be cool too(long it doesn't have Harry Potter look/feel).Oh and Fire spells.
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Devoted Clerics are of the laser cleric variety. Battle priests will use maces
  • Options
    hatiskhatisk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, I for one enjoy the Control Wizard. I actually quite like the ball, it's a nice change playing a class without a huge weapon magnetically taped to my back half the time. :)

I'm a 2nd and 3rd edition kinda guy though (not much tabletop, but born and bred on Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter :)), when I first saw the classes, I was like "what.. the.. actual.. ****". Then I looked up 4th edition, and realized Cryptic's take on it wasn't far off. But whatever, I absolutely love the combat system here. I just hope they'll add Sorcerer at some point. Hopefully with fireballs.
  • Options
    xyxzorxyxzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I love the typical mage designs, but TBH I see no issues with this as long as they continue to add additional classes.
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    really looking forward to warlock with the ritual blades, curses and evil mojo - MY KINDA WIZARD
  • Options
    erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    has someone considered that closed beta's weapons list was compleete at about 40%? Devs might get staffs and shortswords implemented withtin the next patches, consider it ;)
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    Somebody said in another thread there was at least one wand and I think staff that you can buy from vendors for your Wizard.
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »

Misinformation? Have you even played D&D 4E? Devoted Clerics do not use maces there. Sure, they might carry one, but they don't use it. I've run a D&D 4E campaign with a cleric in it for a few years, and apart from one Battle Cleric power he took to diversify slightly, he never uses a mace even though he carries one around for backup. It's always the holy symbol that features in his attacks.

Once we get Battle Clerics, then you might see maces in action. Until then, treat the "misinformation" as actual information, because that's what it is.
  • Options
    jogoskanindragonjogoskanindragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    In my opinion, if yo uwant a Divine Power oriented class, able to wear heavyarmor, and use a good selection of weapons in mellee combat with some healing support you want a PALADIN. not a cleric...
  • Options
    bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    you mean those staves that they dont actually use in spell casting at all, and only use as a walking stick? LOL, these mages are way more <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
  • Options
    chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    bejita231 wrote: »
    you mean those staves that they dont actually use in spell casting at all, and only use as a walking stick? LOL, these mages are way more <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>

I can crash a mountain on your head but can't walk without a stick.
  • Options
    immortalsguildimmortalsguild Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    johnny305 wrote: »

Trion (rift, Defiance) will be the guys releasing Archage to the western world, that's why the long delay as they making big changes for the European market.
    The Immortals, United we stand, we don't fall! Application to join The Immortals
  • Options
    chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Trion (rift, Defiance) will be the guys releasing Archage to the western world, that's why the long delay as they making big changes for the European market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmrJx32xefM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGfWrJR5Ck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eal4fep7pK4&NR=1&feature=fvwp
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    Misinformation? Have you even played D&D 4E? Devoted Clerics do not use maces there. Sure, they might carry one, but they don't use it. I've run a D&D 4E campaign with a cleric in it for a few years, and apart from one Battle Cleric power he took to diversify slightly, he never uses a mace even though he carries one around for backup. It's always the holy symbol that features in his attacks.

Once we get Battle Clerics, then you might see maces in action. Until then, treat the "misinformation" as actual information, because that's what it is.

In 4th ed any cleric build can use weapon as an implement which is required to cast spells. Technically u can even add weapon feat bonus (weapon focus for example) to ur spells if u are using ur weapon as an implement. Its rly complex rules.

That said, i think cryptic made some rly bad decisions about class mechanism... imagine how many classes they will have to build up from the ground to be able just to cover PHB specialized classes....

Theres a lot of threats in foruns about this so i dont think the disscussion should be open again.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You can't use your weapon as an implement. In 4E, most spell casters use implements (orb, wand, stave, tome, holy symbol) to cast spells, while other powers or attacks require a melee weapon. For some classes, like a Warlock or Swordmage, their weapon doubles as an implement, but doesn't count as a weapon when using it for implement powers.

/rules lawyer

In 4th Edition, the orb implement style of casting provided bonuses to control effects, hence the weapon of choice for the control wizard is the orb.

Same for the cleric. A lot of their ranged and healing spells required the implement to be used NOT a weapon, hence the iconic look of the holy symbol for the Devoted Cleric. The alternate path was the Battle Cleric (which I assume we'll see at some point) that utilized a weapon for most of their powers.

Whether you like 4E or not isn't an argument for these forums, but for those familiar with D&D 4E, Cryptic has done an amazing job at staying pretty accurate to the themes and concepts presented, as well as the lore itself.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1