test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Argh, what kind of mages is this?

2»

Comments

• diedreadiedrea Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is ewhy I hate 4E rules
  • themangroththemangroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I absolutely love the physical animations of spell casting in this game. Orb or not, it beats the hell out of watching the WoW style "seig heil" salute 5 million times over the course of a several year playing career.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    ""Rules Compendium p.275:

Weapons as Implements and Vice Versa

Some adventurers have the ability to use a weapon as an implement or an implement as a weapon, and some magic items grant this ability. For example, the holy avenger weapon can be used as a holy symbol, which is a type of implement. The following rules govern such uses.

Using a Weapon as an Implement: If an adventurer is able to use a weapon as an implement, the weapon works like a normal implement, but the adventurer uses neither the weapon’s proficiency bonus nor its nonmagical weapon properties with his or her implement powers. For example, if a weapon has the high crit property, that property does not work with implement powers if the weapon can be used as an implement.

When an adventurer uses a magic version of the weapon as an implement, he or she can use the magic weapon’s enhancement bonus, critical hit effects, properties, and powers. However, some magic weapons have properties and powers that work only with weapon powers. Also, a weapon’s range and damage dice are usually irrelevant to an implement power, since such a power has its own range and damage expression.""
    edited April 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    You can't use your weapon as an implement. In 4E, most spell casters use implements (orb, wand, stave, tome, holy symbol) to cast spells, while other powers or attacks require a melee weapon. For some classes, like a Warlock or Swordmage, their weapon doubles as an implement, but doesn't count as a weapon when using it for implement powers.

/rules lawyer

In 4th Edition, the orb implement style of casting provided bonuses to control effects, hence the weapon of choice for the control wizard is the orb.

Same for the cleric. A lot of their ranged and healing spells required the implement to be used NOT a weapon, hence the iconic look of the holy symbol for the Devoted Cleric. The alternate path was the Battle Cleric (which I assume we'll see at some point) that utilized a weapon for most of their powers.

Whether you like 4E or not isn't an argument for these forums, but for those familiar with D&D 4E, Cryptic has done an amazing job at staying pretty accurate to the themes and concepts presented, as well as the lore itself.

"Clerics start with holy symbols as their basic implement and it is one of the better implements in general since it has a unique item slot and there are many good ones to pick from."

Which means u can still cast spells and have a mace and a shield in ur hand even if ur bonus come from the implement. (depending of the spell keyword)

"However, with the revised implement rules, clerics can now use any implement they are proficient with from multiclassing for their cleric powers. This has two major implications. First clerics can use any weapliment they are proficient with for cleric powers, including heavy/light blades from multiclassing swordmage and a ki focus with a weapon if they get it from a background."

Like i said 4th edition rules are very complex, try to read some class builds from WoTC foruns and u will see what im speaking about.

Check this build as an example:Holy_Smoke_A_Clerics_Handbook
    edited April 2013
    oh and for the record, im not saying its good or bad the way cryptic have deal with implements and classes, i was just saying that is not all 4th edtion rule set fault.

It was just cryptic decision.
  • shaudrashaudra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not a DnD person by any imagination; but, as someone who's played loads of MMORPGs I gotta say I really like the whole control wizard orb thing; and I like the holy symbol for the cleric.
    shautrusig.jpg
  • az3ll3az3ll3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited April 2013
    First I own 4th edition, read it, hate it, decided to stay with the 3rd. I'm not super happy with the class selection they came with for NW release but more classes are coming. Since leveling is super fast, reroll won't be a problem. So yes I understand your frustration that our archetype classes are not all represented. Personally I don't care much though, I play NW just so I have something to play until Elder Scrolls Online comes out :p not even ashamed to admit it.
    To those who wants NW to be their new home /comfort I wish the traditional classes were available for release also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]