What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How many old school D&D players do we have

Comments

• Options
    sweatapodimassweatapodimas Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    started AD&D pnp in 1992 and played all the gold box pc games :)
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • Options
    frozentreatsfrozentreats Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Been playing since the Red Box in the early 80's. Stopped playing for about 10-12 years in the mid 90's, and got back into it 5 years ago when 3.5 was out. My group has transitioned over to Pathfinder, as we found D&D 4th Ed. too MMO-like.
  • Options
    frozentreatsfrozentreats Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lasciver wrote: »
    So I'm curious out of you lot, just how many have been long-term DMs? ;)

30 years of gaming, and I just started full-time DM'ing this last year. Was usually party leader-ish, unless the char didn't lend itself to the role. Got tired of never having a good DM after getting back into P&P RPGs in a new state, so I invested my time & money heavily in some Pathfinder adventure paths, and am running two separate groups simultaneously through RotRL. I am enjoying DM'ing WAY more than I ever suspected I would.
  • Options
    prysianprysian Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Started with 2nd Edition AD&D, the black box with the red dragon on the front that was basically just Dragonlance.
  • Options
    belniusbelnius Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Started with 'purple box' in the early 80s. Played all versions upto 3.5 which I do still play occasionally. Looking forward to trying NWO once the open beta access starts next week!
  • Options
    halflingpaladinhalflingpaladin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited April 2013
    i got in towards the end of 2nd edition advanced.
    When 3rd edition let me play a halfling paladin, i was happy.

4th.. ehh i'm glad to see it in video game format, but at the table i'm not pleased.
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i am 25 years old and i started playing AD&D 2E in 1993 when i was 5 years old with my parents.
    as to date 3.5 is my favorite and i have only ever played 1 game of 4e( im not a fan) and i will NEVER play a game of D&D next (who the hells bright idea was it to take away skills?)

fun fact: it was the first edition to calculate distances in feet instead of inches.

P.S. you have to know what THAC0 to play in my PnP games. lol
    21.jpg
  • Options
    halflingpaladinhalflingpaladin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited April 2013
    i am 25 years old and i started playing AD&D 2E in 1993 when i was 5 years old with my parents.

fun fact: it was the first edition to calculate distances in feet instead of inches.

P.S. you have to know what THAC0 to play in my PnP games. lol

THac0 is wack0. friends don't let friends consult tables!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    THac0 is wack0. friends don't let friends consult tables!

lol ya dont have to use it you just have to know what it is :o

also this reminds me
    Rapahel wrote:
    Cricket? Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!
    21.jpg
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Played D&D since 1976.

I'm not old school, I'm ancient school :p
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    sycorax666sycorax666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Been playing many years. At least since early 80's. Ye gods that makes me feel old.
  • Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Try it before you make an opinion. Most people that complain about 4th never even try it, Im not saying its for everyone.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    valetudo78 wrote: »
    Try it before you make an opinion. Most people that complain about 4th never even try it, Im not saying its for everyone.

Honestly, 4e seems like the dream setup for a mmorpg.

It's not super fun around the table because it's so hand-holdy (in my opinion of course), but as a video game system? should work wonderfully.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Since around 88. AD&D 2nd Ed I believe.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Played D&D since 1976.

I'm not old school, I'm ancient school :p

Not quite as ancient school as this guy, but close;).
  • Options
    razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, lets just say that I remember when Greyhawk and Blackmoor came out as supplements (in little paperback books).

So Yeah, I am one of the Ancient.
  • Options
    xgamemonsterxxgamemonsterx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Started with the original Chainmail rules...
  • Options
    folkorebberonfolkorebberon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    T1 The Village of Homlet was my very first game of D&D in 87. I've been addicted ever since. Currently DMing an Ebberon campaign and we're finishing our 3rd year of using 4e. It really depends on your DM if the players like it or not. I find it makes combat a lot more entertaining, and with less rules outside of combat it doesn't bog down my game the way that 2e did near the end of its life.
  • Options
    morterictusgrinmorterictusgrin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    3.5e for life.
  • Options
    ritorixritorix Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I started with: 35arfy9.jpg

Got hooked instantly, quickly moved on to the Rules Cyclopedia then 2e. After playing 3e and a ton of 4e, these days I am more into Dungeon World.
  • Options
    makathmakath Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I started with D&D Red Box and AD&D first edition in the early 80's.
    kilfir_sig.png
  • Options
    demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I started in the late 70s with original D&D, it came as three tan pamphlets, there were only three classes (fighter, mage, and cleric), and they used terms like hobbit, balrog, and ent for monters in the original monster book (Gygax was soon forced to change the names to what we have now).
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • Options
    jambysjambys Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I play since the early 80s. Not only D&D, other stuff too (West End Games Star Wars comes to mind).

My favorite setting ever is 2nd Ed. Darksun.
    : )
  • Options
    kaerthuskaerthus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not ADnD first edition but the original Basic Red Box Set.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    valetudo78 wrote: »

yeah i tried it, i didn't like it i played a rogue... it was just too... easy. we played several premade adventures and we just never seemed to be in any danger of dying and we were only a party of 3 in 5 man encounters..
    21.jpg
  • Options
    vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lasciver wrote: »
    So I'm curious out of you lot, just how many have been long-term DMs? ;)

I have been DMing since the 70s and the current game I have been DMing for the past 15 years
  • Options
    azmoudiusazmoudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Been playing D&D for over 28 years as DM =)
  • Options
    drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Been playing since the 5th grade, with good old 2.0. I even played in the Navy onboard ship lol.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • Options
    desthatdesthat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    have being playing DnD for only 15 years :) not as long as you
  • Options
    visinjivisinji Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Since the very early 80's. I miss those days!