test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Panther or Vicious Dire Wolf ?

kazehideoshikazehideoshi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm trying to figure out which companion to level up first and which one in reality does more damage than the other.

I'm a Trickster Rogue.

Panther: Level 1

Claw: 1s cooldown.
32-39 Physical Damage. Damage is increased if Panther has combat advantage.

Pounce: 5s cooldown. 20' range.
51-62 Physical Damage. Grants Combat advantage for a short duration.

Charging Pounce (Level 30):

Does 50% increased damage. Also knocks target prone.

Vicious Dire Wolf: Level 1

Tear: 5s cooldown.
126-154 Physical Damage. Causes bleed effect.

Vicious Bites:
48-58 Physical Damage in 3 quick bites. Staggers the target.

Dire Fury:
When the Vicious Dire Wolf has combat advantage. It knocks the target prone.

Help me my fellow lads in seeing which is best to level first = )
Post edited by kazehideoshi on

Comments

• gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013
    The Panther will do slightly more damage while the Dire Wolf will offer slightly more control in the form of consistent knockdowns once they hit 30. Up to that point however they are very similar. Really just pick to flavor :)
  • kazehideoshikazehideoshi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It seems animation wise. The Dire Wolf does more.

My Panther sits there a lot and charges pounce and his Claw doesn't actually hit every 1s. It appears to be every 3.

When I did the Hero of Justice vault mission. The Dire wolf was practically one shoting everyone. While it took 2-3 hits (with combat advantage) for the panther to take them down.

When fighting the Guardian of the Nine boss. I tested the direwolf first. and the first 5-8 seconds into battle he already half-healthed him. Then I switched him out to the Panther. And it took quite a bit longer.

It seems the cooldown on the Dire Wolf a lot shorter than it actually is.

Also did a test. Dire wolf 1 shotted two people. And the panther took 2-3 hits to kill them = /
  • kazehideoshikazehideoshi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yea. It just seems the Wolf does more damage right now.

I'm going to test more.
    edited April 2013
    Any other thoughts guys?
  • zeek29zeek29 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was wondering is there a way to have two companions out at the same time?
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would say wolf but then it's more to avoid the whole Guenhwyvar cliche.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Only thought i can come up with is that i wish i could just buy the Panther hehe.

Really looks nice. Her attack seemed a little slow from the streams i have seen but i have no way to compare it.
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Go with whatever you think looks cooler next to your character. Neither seems to be dealbreakingly better or worse.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • mbomberdavidmbomberdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I tried the wolf and just started the panther but so far neither seems as good as my honey badger was in the 3rd beta. Im going to watch this thread closely and see what you folks report.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    How is the Honey Badger in comparison to these 2 companions?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • skittlelolzskittlelolz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My honey badger suffers from AI problems. Lots of times he will just sit there and watch me.
  • martianmanrapermartianmanraper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited April 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    Go with whatever you think looks cooler next to your character. Neither seems to be dealbreakingly better or worse.

Yeah exactly. I get mildly griped during my forum travels to see posts like "Which class should I choose??" or "What race for trickster rouge plz!!"

Seriously..? Pick whatever you want.. Does this indecision rear its ugly head in real life? It's a video game class for crying out loud. Just pick what you think is cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kittykaswickkittykaswick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    At the start with the panther and your hero pack weapon its pretty much a mute point, by the time the panther moves the mob is dead. The panther does like to try and pounce a lot but it gets better at higher lvls.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Same with my Panther, its why I have been playing with Wolfie. Seems to be more active and has less stuttering problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • mutley1984mutley1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Nighteyes FTW
  • donnorgondonnorgon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dogs > Cats ;)

i joke... maybe.
    It's good to be bad.
  • eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I say go with the wolf just because there are way to many panthersrunning around. Unfortunately mine is one of them :(
    I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)
  • rustplayerrustplayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited April 2013
    Yeah exactly. I get mildly griped during my forum travels to see posts like "Which class should I choose??" or "What race for trickster rouge plz!!"

Seriously..? Pick whatever you want.. Does this indecision rear its ugly head in real life? It's a video game class for crying out loud. Just pick what you think is cool.

Impossibru!
    If they pick class X with race Y they won't know if that choice was good until they can enter PvP... and if they get roflstomped then by someone who picked the same class X, but with race Z they'll know that they chose ill.
    Then the game will turn sour and they will go back to WoW, where they'll get roflstomped as well - but that's besides the point.

After all, the Brain-thingy huwts when used - therefore it cannot possibly have been designed to be used at all. :cool:
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Subjectively, the wolf attacks faster and more frequently. But both seem to be a bit on the slow side. Mobs do go down very fast at my low level, though, so that may have to do with it.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • saintxiisaintxii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 100
    edited April 2013
    the panther looks to close to a giant rat. Neverwinter has a rodent infestation atm :D
  • mrvukmrvuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I did test both compainions and the wolf does more damage and the staggering target is nice. The panther seems to take longer to engage and it takes it longer to kill target. I picked out a single mob with same name/level and let the pets attack solo. Wolf was faster each time.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This just means you need to get and use a Dire Wolf instead of a panther....
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    just get the panther it does this ;) IMG] puttytat_zps640f76a4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG][/img]puttytat2_zps882026d9.jpg
  • decubisdecubis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 90
    edited April 2013
    haha that is hilarious
    Greetings Decubis,
    image_160079_thumb_wide300.jpg
    Decubis: Dwarf Guardian Fighter: lvl 60
    Demic: Human Devoted Cleric: lvl 60
    Server: Beholder Guild: The Unnamed
  • dantosdantos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 52
    edited April 2013
    My honey badger suffers from AI problems. Lots of times he will just sit there and watch me.

Honey badger dont care.
  • doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Personally I'm using my wolf cos there are too many **** panther around atm xD
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Those screenshots are hilarious!

I use the dire wolf too, mainly due to its smaller size and faster reactions. I need to level up the panther too, though. Will probably start doing that when the wolf is in training, seeing how that starts to take a while each time. :)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I use one till it levels then switch. Even though its only a 1-2 min cooldown currently for me (at level 10) eventually it will be 30+ mins of downtime and I don't want to deal with a level 1 panther when I'm used to a level 10 wolf
    When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
  • doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    At the moment I sent off my wolf for training at level 9 and it was a 12minute downtime, so yeah using the panther during long downtime is a good idea.
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
  • lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Panther will do slightly more damage while the Dire Wolf will offer slightly more control in the form of consistent knockdowns once they hit 30. Up to that point however they are very similar. Really just pick to flavor :)

Thanks for this reply, but can you please do a bit more testing? Dire Wolf vs Panther on the same mob - the wolf kills MUCH faster.

The Panther's AI or animations are probably buggy, because so far the wolf is a real clear winner from what I see... Of course I could be wrong, in fact I often am!