test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mac client for Neverwinter

snorri30snorri30 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi all,
I would like to know if we will have the Mac client version for those who have an Apple OS...
If we can get it before the official launch it will be great ...
Can't image a 2013 game without several client game, hope we can go for it :)
If we will not get it in the next beta week, i suggest to take Mac client in consideration for the future release or beta weeks.

Waiting news

Snorri Aeternuss
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    snorri30 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I would like to know if we will have the Mac client version for those who have an Apple OS...
    Can't image a 2013 game without several client game, hope we can go for it :)
    If we will not get it in the next beta week, i suggest to take Mac client in consideration for the future release or beta weeks.

Waiting news

Snorri Aeternuss

If they haven't already started working on it and do right now, I would expect 6 months or so. They still have a lot of development time necessary on the game as it is now.
  • Options
    hosilockshosilocks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    do yourself a favour and boot camp a windows OS (8 or 7 64bit are both good) then this will never have to be an issue for any games ever again :) (at the very least it will see you over until they release an official mac client which will probably be 9-12 months after launch (gusstimate)
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    There are No plans for a Mac Client at this time as far as I know.
    Cryptic strives to ensure all of their games are WINE compatible but they have never used resources to develop Mac OS clients.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Too bad, still hoping For it. I've got a bunch of friends in that need...guessing they're not alone ...
    Btw thanks a lot for Quick answers

@hosilock. That's a fake solution since many Mac users simply doesn't want to install win OS For many reasons tl to explain (ex. Virus immunity). They just want to be able to play modern games without changing/modding OS. But... I think they are going to do as you said. Thanks all
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I don't want to come across rude or anything but if you have intentions of playing any kind of video games a mac isn't the solution, sure some companies will take the time and resources to adapt their games to the mac but the vast majority won't or will years after release, windows does not have to be a minefield of virus' and malware as long as you're careful, having a windows boot with a decent firewall and AV thats only used to play games should have no dangers, use your mac os to browse the internet and all the other stuff macs are good for
  • Options
    kaschuaaerlikaschuaaerli Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hosilocks wrote: »
    I don't want to come across rude or anything but if you have intentions of playing any kind of video games a mac isn't the solution, sure some companies will take the time and resources to adapt their games to the mac but the vast majority won't or will years after release, windows does not have to be a minefield of virus' and malware as long as you're careful, having a windows boot with a decent firewall and AV thats only used to play games should have no dangers, use your mac os to browse the internet and all the other stuff macs are good for

Why is it every time someone requests or asks about a Mac client, people feel the need to stomp all over them as gaming rigs? Mine is a 2009, and it can run just about every MMO out there on the market at native resolution (2560x1440) with high settings. And it's old.

I do a lot of graphic design and photography. That's the main reason I own a Mac. Just because you're into gaming, doesn't mean you SHOULD have to own a certain machine. That said, yes, Boot Camp is your friend. Necessary, really. My machine runs Windows better than my husband's gaming PC. He's always complaining about it. :)

And I heard that Cryptic is making a Mac client for STO.

Blizzard has always developed on and for Mac, and they command a giant portion of the market and their games are always very polished and nice. Ever think their success might lie in their open-mindedness? A player is a player is a player. You open up that huge market and you're bound to succeed.

Anyway... I'll throw in my vote for a Mac client. People ask for it every game. Maybe if we ask enough times, devs will finally realize we are here and we do count and our machines ARE up to snuff.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Why is it every time someone requests or asks about a Mac client, people feel the need to stomp all over them as gaming rigs? Mine is a 2009, and it can run just about every MMO out there on the market at native resolution (2560x1440) with high settings. And it's old.

I do a lot of graphic design and photography. That's the main reason I own a Mac. Just because you're into gaming, doesn't mean you SHOULD have to own a certain machine. That said, yes, Boot Camp is your friend. Necessary, really. My machine runs Windows better than my husband's gaming PC. He's always complaining about it. :)

Blizzard has always developed on and for Mac, and they command a giant portion of the market and their games are always very polished and nice. Ever think their success might lie in their open-mindedness? A player is a player is a player. You open up that huge market and you're bound to succeed.

Anyway... I'll throw in my vote for a Mac client. People ask for it every game. Maybe if we ask enough times, devs will finally realize we are here and we do count and our machines ARE up to snuff.

Quote! Up for mac users ˆˆ
  • Options
    lithomedlithomed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited February 2013
    Because it's a fact: Mac's are bad for gaming due to lack of support. You Mac users whine in every game asking for a client, wasting dev cycles because you bought an overpriced PC with a fruit symbol on it and you think you are special, in a way you are. You are the ones that made the wrong choice now you have to deal with your decision.

If you want to play every game released buy a real machine, not an overpriced psuedo-PC.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I did not mention the hardware once, the hardware used in the more recent macs over the last few years has been great! that does not make them good gaming machines though as the lack of support by the "majority" of games developers and driver support makes them a pain to game on, that's all I was saying.
    As far as blizzard being a giant portion of the market, they're not really with a grand total of 3 games in the last 10 years (plus expansions) albeit 3 big games and well made none of them really push the envelope with technical advancements or even gaming genre advancements. Blizzard also have a LOT of money so they can afford to throw resources at making clients for the mac, in a world where more games are losing money than making it and with this game already launching without a box price even I do not expect Crypic / PWE to "waste" resources on a mac client anytime soon.
  • Options
    pwnhammer40kpwnhammer40k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just bought the Hero of the North Founders' Pack and came to the forums just to request a native (even if it runs on Cider) Mac client.

Almost every major MMO supports the Mac, so yes, please, let us play Neverwinter in full Retina glory right under OS X. :)
    Hero of the North Founder; adding my request for a Mac client please.
  • Options
    lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There are seventy million Mac users. Many have late model machines that can run MMOs and other games just fine. There is plenty of cash to be had there for the developers who choose to put in the extra effort to go after it. My wife just purchased one. As a gaming rig it kicks the tail off my machine. Every time I see her playing something at 100+ FPS with everything turned up at native resolution, I cry a little inside.

+1 for a native Mac client.
  • Options
    siemmasiemma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Heard of wine.. wine has a purpose yes?
    Personally, i haven't got it to work with wine, but i've haven't played really yet; just tried. nevertheless i'm positive it that it shouldn't be hard at all, with little hacking of wine if anything.. just use that, ill post what results, patches (if needed and i accomplish them), info when open beta hits anyway..

ps (for all the complainers): no this solution is not an inconveniences at all, if you want "OPTIMAL" gaming well why do you have a mac in the first place (your fault solely, if you find it to be a fault, i don't myself)?, if you want install windows on a separate mem slice and have an extra slice being shared for both, it'll be runnable in "OPTIMAL for your specs" mode and none-optimal when your casually playing.. (the fact that mac defaults/expects gpt is brilliant for such partitioning anyway in comparison to mbr; even if the sacrifices are quite unnoticeable for average user nowadays).

I think my solution is very good, your welcome.
  • Options
    aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @Siemma,
    If/when you get NWO working under wine, please post a How-To on these forums! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    brocklandersbrocklanders Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just an FYI, I've been playing every beta weekend on Neverwinter installed in OS X using Crossover. It's not perfect - camera movement is a little choppy sometimes - but it's playable.

I'd love an officially supported OS X port... if I have to boot into Windows to play, then I won't play as much.
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    All Crptyic games are based on the same engine, and that said engine use DirectX, not OpenGL for it's rendering. In order to make a Mac client (or a Linux one for that matter) they would have to rewrite the engine so it supports OpenGL instead of DirectX. That would cost a lot of money (seriously, they would have to rewrite almost the entire engine) and take a ****load of time, I just don't see them doing that at this point. The only hope to run any Cryptic game nativly in OSX or Linux is to use WINE, which supports Directx9 rather well, it requires some tweaking though but it's doable.
  • Options
    vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Keep in mind windows fans, that Win 8 has driven many consumers to mac. I have homebuilt windows based pc, but I live near a major university, and I only have one friend who still uses a win pc. Everyone has a mac here. I may not care for it, but I realize that many consumers want something that works and looks good. Unfortunately, most of them do not know the tricks or care to go out of their way to get a win 7 pc.

On the flipside tho, I would also say that Cryptic should also try for the next xbox/PS4 crowd as well, if we are basing everything on number of users out there.

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    vernednd wrote: »
    Keep in mind windows fans, that Win 8 has driven many consumers to mac.

Long live Windows 7.5.

What's that? Windows 8 is a great OS with a naybdweubdvweuyibgcyab aweful UI. Please keep the CEO of Windows away from me for his own sake...

Despite Windows' god awful failure at their UI and refusal to listen to customer feedback the customers who buy Windows Computers are taking full advantage of what only Windows computers offer; the ability to throw out the system and replace it with your own.

VistaStart is nifty but I don't want to ever see Metro UI.
    I had Start8 which was awesome for months. No complaints from me.

I am currently using StartIsBack. I've had a few glitches here and there but overall I think it was slightly superior an cheaper than Start8. It completely removed the UI if desired and allows a nice Windows XP, Vista or 7 Experience on Windows 8.

Point being: As some of the Windows 8 feedback has stated "If I wanted a Mac I would buy a Mac!" Windows had a major blunder but people aren't exactly avidly switching to Macs for it. The marvelous thing about Windows is that you can mess with it.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    vernednd wrote: »
    Keep in mind windows fans, that Win 8 has driven many consumers to mac. I have homebuilt windows based pc, but I live near a major university, and I only have one friend who still uses a win pc. Everyone has a mac here. I may not care for it, but I realize that many consumers want something that works and looks good. Unfortunately, most of them do not know the tricks or care to go out of their way to get a win 7 pc.

On the flipside tho, I would also say that Cryptic should also try for the next xbox/PS4 crowd as well, if we are basing everything on number of users out there.

Cheers!

I doubt Win8 has driven many consumers to mac, most are sticking with Win7. We'll see what 8.1 will bring to the table, for now there's mostly been positive feedback. Win8 also performs alot better than Win7 when it comes to gaming, all they need to do is add native support for the startmenu and bring back some legacy features and I bet more people will switch to Win8 from Win7.

Yes, most students use Mac, but the numbers arn't as big as many people think. Roughly 7% of the online computer populace use Mac computers, while roughly 91% uses Windows computers.. Those numbers are taken from a usage share statistics done by Net Applications.
  • Options
    daemonstheredaemonsthere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Well, Linux user here.
    Since you can run this on Wine, what is the point of rewriting the whole code for mac ? No sense.
    Fotzik, maybe in the US. I am an engineering student and on my university 50% Windows, 45% Linux, 5% Mac.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I had windows 7 installed, but I reverted back to vista. 7 had a quick loading time, but when it came to running one application, I found vista was better.

Linux beats all hands down though ....
  • Options
    daemonstheredaemonsthere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Vista is an unfinished version of win7, how can it work better ? Download yourself a CPU-control and rewrite the application to cores by hand. You can get up to +40% efficiency.

Well since Steam opened for Linux and comparing to Windows has about 15/20 more fps on the same computer, maybe the gaming future will be a penguin in a space marine suit ?
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't really know how, nor do I really care. For all I know it can be magic.

But I use a lot of heavy applications for work and hobbies, and what I experienced is what I stated. You can scratch your head figuring out hows and whats.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Well I am a programmer/engineer student, this is mostly what I do =)
  • Options
    theevildrftheevildrf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, Linux user here.
    Since you can run this on Wine, what is the point of rewriting the whole code for mac ? No sense.
    Fotzik, maybe in the US. I am an engineering student and on my university 50% Windows, 45% Linux, 5% Mac.

pls state step-by-step how-to for wine/darwine. ill see what i can dig up on my mac.
    The Evil Dr. F
    Beta Junkie
    grimrod614 wrote: »
    Never leave home without a cleric !
    fss_overall.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Well, Linux user here.

To get a native client they would have to rewrite the engine. DirectX is only supported on Windows and cannot be run under Mac or Linux. WINE is a software that tries to translate the windows api. The success varies from software to software and it's not as stable as running the software in Windows. It's up to you and everyone else to try WINE, but don't expect the same performance as in Windows.

Doesn't really matter what % use Linux or Mac on your university. They make games based on the total populace, and it's a fact that the majority use Windows, it totally dominates the market at the moment, which is really sad because I myself like Linux way more than Windows. As long as people keep using Windows we won't see a major push from the platform, most game developers also use DirectX instead of OpenGL which also is a problem.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Vista is an unfinished version of win7, how can it work better ? Download yourself a CPU-control and rewrite the application to cores by hand. You can get up to +40% efficiency.

Well since Steam opened for Linux and comparing to Windows has about 15/20 more fps on the same computer, maybe the gaming future will be a penguin in a space marine suit ?

Sadly as long as developers keep using DirectX we won't see that many games for Linux :S I wish they would use OpenGL more, not that many developers do. Blizzard do it and Valve that's why we see so many ports of their games.
  • Options
    blowchunksblowchunks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 81
    edited April 2013
    There are No plans for a Mac Client at this time as far as I know.
    Cryptic strives to ensure all of their games are WINE compatible but they have never used resources to develop Mac OS clients.

Don't you mean, "WHINE" compatible? lol

At any rate, I have a MAC, and i have bootcamped Win7 64 Bit on mine, and with my specs, it <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>'s all over my other machines... Can't wait till the 25th!!! C'mon!!!
  • Options
    gridwardengridwarden Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    snorri30 wrote: »
    Hi all,

You don't need to wait for a Mac client. Go to the Codeweaver website and download the free trial version of Crossover instead. Use Crossover to install Neverwinter and the game will play as well as your hardware will allow.

Don't bother with the whole Bootcamping or emulation routes. WINE/Crossover does the job nicely on OS X.
  • Options
    weedster420weedster420 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hey guys im having trouble to play the game through cross over on my mac :( im not a computer savy i just wanted to play this game cause it looks awesome
    and tips ?
  • Options
    ozzilupoozzilupo Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX Link to the Wine site for mac my sister has been using wine before steam was mac compatible and still prefers to use wine for PC games. I on the other hand use a windows based PC.
This discussion has been closed.