What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mac client for Neverwinter

Comments

• Options
    danthescotdanthescot Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lads, this is not a Mac VS PC Discussion.
    There are plenty of those threads scattered all over the internet.

Some of you say making a mac native client is a waste of time. I disagree that it would be a waste of time, however even if an official mac client is NOT released, mac users can still use WINE as a fruitful alternative! The wrapper I have posted on portingteam is a great example. Performance in wine us slightly lesss than how it would perform in windows, for myself... however everything works in wine as it would on windows. The launcher, graphics, multiplayer and overall the game itself works great.

The hardware comparison of macs and pcs are not related to this thread, nor do the comparisons actually answer the original posters question about a possible mac client for neverwinter. I guess we cannot change the devs minds to not make a Mac client. However, as I have all ready mentioned, there are other useful alternatives!

On a side note, I want to keep on topic but I also want to elaborate on what other users have said all ready. I am a Hackintosh user. My system has very high-end PC specs and I play games on OSX as well as Windows. Why? Simply because I like to. I enjoy OSX because its a simplistic, stylish, fast and all-round pleasing operating system... not that I don't like windows, I absolutely adore windows 7! Macs are not bad for gaming, admittedly they are just over priced. I don't agree with the prices apple charge for their products, but what does price have to do with how games perform on a system? The price doesnt effect how a GPU in a PC performs as the same GPU in a mac... They both have the same performance at different prices. Why should you pay more for a mac though? Well for starters, its fully compatible with Windows, OSX and even linux! Not to mention the high quality parts, visually pleasing aesthetics and easy to use operating system. Nonetheless, the price is in no way related as to how a mac can play games. Making the choice to buy a system that supports windows ( which means it can play windows games of course), as well as 2 other operating systems is NOT a bad choice. Its a smart one.

However, as i said all ready, i don't agree with apples prices... hence why I use a hackintosh (I do own the operating system however). It'd be nice for them to be lowered in the future as well as using some newer GPUs. Although, EVGA have just released a mac compatible GTX 680! Also, NVIDIA 6XX and 5XX cards, as well as AMD and Intel HD 4000 all work out of the box in apples new operating system, Mountain Lion, which rocks! I myself use a MSI GTX 670 PE in my system. Being able to use this in both OSX and Windows is really great!

EDIT: I'd like to also add that most, if not all people do not buy macs with the intention to ONLY use them for gaming. Most people use their macs for either very simplistic or even complex routines, such as programming, video editing, music editing, photoshop, word processing etc... I doubt someone will go out their way to buy an expensive mac just for playing games... that would not be a smart choice seeing as of course there are cheaper and in most cases, better alternatives for gaming such as gaming rigs.

Anyway, I guess i've contributed my views to both sides of this discussion (i.e. the actual topic of a mac neverwinter client and also the topic of 'Mac Vs Pc', !

Cheers anyway lads!
  • Options
    brokenseabrokensea Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I started running NW on a Parallels Desktop - with a Win7 x64 VM.

A few days ago there was a big update to the game and now it won't run on the VM.

New to Mac's (still playing it fine on the Win 7 x32 PC) but wondering if anyone had a solution to this?

Logs in okay.
    Loads the CRYPTIC screen OK... hangs on the Neverwinter 'loading...' screen.

Just sits there until you quit (30+ minutes)
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont see everyones argument about buying a cheaper "PC" ... it may be true that a budget PC is cheaper than the cheapest mac or whatever... but a nice gaming PC that isn't built from budget parts will easily cost you the same as any mac if not more.

I have a nice home desktop PC that I spent a butt of cash to build but i needed something that i could take with me wherever I go .. In steps the Macbook Pro Retina ... Its super light, reliable, amazingly beautiful OS thats easy to use on a laptop, Easy integration with Windows Apps <Parallells

I looked everywhere for a Laptop that could handle games as well has anything else i threw at it.
    I purchased the Macbook pro retina, 2200$ for i7 quad core 3.4Ghz - 16GB 1600Mhz Ram - 256GB Flash Storage - Dual graphics cards Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia 650m - native 2880x 1800 resolution
    Not to mention all the other little perks I found that I couldn't live without after having them, backlit keys, flawless technical support, Easy to use touchpad with swipe gestures / Pinch/Zoom not to mention 5-10 hours of battery life and so much more.

I spent around 2700$ building my home "PC" desktop gaming setup, It runs everything at max settings and stays 25deg, more ram than most of you have hard drive space..<Insert all the other my PC is better than yours stuff here> bla bla bla

It all comes down to ease of use and all that, I find myself picking up my macbook and chilling on the couch while playing more than going and sitting at my desk to play. Sadly the last 6-8 months I have only used my gaming PC as a remote desktop host so i can download things via torrents or faster browsing while tethering with my mac.

I was a hardcore PC user before I made this purchase, Now I enjoy the best of both worlds, Macs have their uses and as of late the Mac has started being a formidable gaming rig in both their laptop and desktop departments.

Go to the apple website and take a look at their specs..

Testament to customer service...
    I had one problem about 3 months into buying this Macbook pro, I called the apple store and made an appointment, I showed up, told the guy my issue.. he took a look at it and they replaced my unit the same day, I walked out of the store with a brand new piece of hardware, they even took the time to give me a perfect backup and restore of EVERY file and application I had previously installed.

I dont know of any PC manufacturer that will stand by their products like that.

My best friend was looking for a PC at the same time as me, he went with another "name" brand laptop, his overheated and he had to ship it to the manufacturer.. deal with customer support many times, etc etc.. I am sure most of you have had to deal with it at one time or another.. The whole time i was happily gaming ..

Long story short.. My mac plays anything i want without many problems, Wine / Parallels or however i want to do it.

You do know with a budget of $2200 you could get a killer system running Windows that will outperform that mac any day?
  • Options
    henamdarhenamdar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    You do know with a budget of $2200 you could get a killer system running Windows that will outperform that mac any day?

Edited and removed for my own reasons. I have become aware that some people just don't get it. Or make opinions without ever trying out new operating systems.
  • Options
    jetedrickjetedrick Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    henamdar wrote: »
    Edited and removed for my own reasons. I have become aware that some people just don't get it. Or make opinions without ever trying out new operating systems.

True, if there is a mac client released I'd love to know about it. I use both my macbook and my windows PC for gaming...when I travel I only have my macbook which means I can play WOW but not Neverwinter...
  • Options
    snorri30snorri30 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    glad this thread is alive, maybe one day we'll be rewarded :D

and keep it clean, this is not a mac-pc thread!
  • Options
    svnthsamuraisvnthsamurai Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was really looking forward to playing this game but not being MAC compatible sucks...
    thats why I will keep playing World of Warcraft, they fully support the mac!
  • Options
    tyk123tyk123 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Like earlier in this thread a guy wrote a perfect way around this is using crossover and disabling the dock while playing.
    If anyone wants the files for using this fix way around they can write to my mail tyk1_1@hotmail.com and il reply.
    The zip il reply with has:
    Crossover
    Crossover extender (working 23 may 2013)
    Neverwinter.exe
    A way to disable dock using the terminal easly
  • Options
    cynicsfaithcynicsfaith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Options
    darkc0untdarkc0unt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi all, i would be great if we could have a mac client. got another computer with windows but it's to old for any heavy downloads. got a much better computer with mac (os) but can't play at this one rather because there is no mac client. pls fix a mac client :)
  • Options
    pitabombpitabomb Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Macs are amazing for being the anti-lag machines, they can handle much higher resolutions than ANY other computer brand I've ever tried (believe me, I've tried the best of almost everything, and only macs met my expectations) All of you people who disagree and say that macs are not gaming computers are biased, and we whine because we don't get mac versions? It's because the developers have PC's too! and they don't make Mac versions cuz they don't need/think about them... So stop stomping all over us, we're just as good as the rest of you
  • Options
    pitabombpitabomb Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And a mac client would be great :)
  • Options
    rockman454rockman454 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OMG just shut up! Should be a Mac client, end of discussion. If you arent a Mac user.... STFU. Seriously. Oh and I am not a mac user but daughter has one so I have the right to voice. Bye for good.
  • Options
    admtolwyn1admtolwyn1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's capitalism.
  • Options
    kaapiskaapis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Fixes for these may be coming in over the next couple of months. In particular, I already have shadows and depth stuff working on our most recent code, and raw input is automatically disabled when it detects WINE versions earlier than 1.5.13.

I'd love to know what setting I should be using in WineBottler. I want to make this into a stand-alone app so i can put it on the computer the kids use.

I did find one package soemoen had made, but the download required creating an account, downloading from new zealand, agreeing to Mega's terms, and installing Flash. I might be willing to do one of those things, but certainly not all of them, and never will I install Flash.

Oh, and yes, I did try using Google Chrome. Mega claims that the current version of Chrome is outdated and I should download a new one.
  • Options
    meatintacomeatintaco Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There are No plans for a Mac Client at this time as far as I know.
    Cryptic strives to ensure all of their games are WINE compatible but they have never used resources to develop Mac OS clients.

I know mac 's arnt gaming computers but they can be. I guess i'll have to stick Blizzard and Steam =\

;
  • Options
    jjeshopjjeshop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lol @ your mac...get a real computer.
    IGN: Teseanna

Closed :D Beta :D Tester
    [SIGPIC]i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/jjeshop/ooo-1.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    praus1praus1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I run this game in Crossover on my Mac and it runs pretty well. I would encourage Cryptic to make their own cider or native port though. Mac users tend to spend more money then windows users (or at least some companies think so http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/06/26/mac-users-have-money-to-spare-says-orbitz/). When it comes to which group is more likely to buy your add-ons its probably the group that spent more then $250 on their computer…
  • Options
    maderiamaderia Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I own a Late 2011 iMac and a gaming PC so i see the merits of both machines. Mac users, I strongly recommend you run DirectX games using BootCamp. They run pretty well with few issues.

Personally, I run games on my PC and leave the Mac for productivity and music recording... While I can run games OK on the Mac in BootCamp, they don't compare to the experience on the PC. I haven't tried Neverwinter on my Mac yet but when I was playing The Secret World I got about 19 frames on the Mac and 60+ on my PC :) I guess it depends on the experience you want..

Happy gaming!
  • Options
    rondacherondache Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I dont see everyones argument about buying a cheaper "PC" ... it may be true that a budget PC is cheaper than the cheapest mac or whatever... but a nice gaming PC that isn't built from budget parts will easily cost you the same as any mac if not more.
    A gaming computer built from scratch will out perform any Mac of the same price. If you google it, there are several web sites that have done comparison over the last few years.

With how easy it is to assemble a computer these days, there is no need (or even desire) to do anything other than buy the components and assemble it yourself.

People buying a Mac for work is fine, if they are the kind of people that don't want to spend the time to get to understand the tools of their trade (a windows PC can do anything a Mac can and more, it's just a case of figuring out how), then thats fine. But when they purchase a niche product and expect mainstream support from third parties, it's kind of, well, weird. It's kind of like buying a car that runs on aviation fuel, and then complaining that not everyone sells it.
  • Options
    akashalestaakashalesta Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    so everyone's *****ing about mac vs pc since 2012. I just want to know if there is a mac version yet. If not I'll just play another game that includes everybody
  • Options
    veruganverugan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 100
    edited July 2013
    Just Bootcamp it, takes an hour or so tops. Works great.
  • Options
    saltykittysaltykitty Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    why would you actively decide to decline marketing your product to MAC gamers?? beyond being rude that is just plain poor business practice.
  • Options
    sturmwaffel2sturmwaffel2 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 219 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I gave CodeJunkies $60 so I could play Neverwinter because PWE/Cryptic-- well, you know the story.
  • Options
    buhmkebuhmke Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Who are you to tell others what to buy and what not? As said people tend to buy a mac for a reason, usually work, just like myself.
    I want to use the computing power I have to play a game. The fact that developers have been developing usually for windows OS because most people can't afford or don't want to learn a new OS (and plenty of other good reasons to buy a windows machine). Developers have to keep up with the demand, and not the other way around, then competition will steal your customer base. U can close your eyes for it, but that doesn't mean the devs of this game are missing a HUGE market by ignoring Mac OS. This is one of the reasons WoW is still doing so well, people will pay for quality and support. Even if people don't play monthly they still want to pay the devs often out of appreciation through in game skin purchases and more making it worth the investment. (as long as the prices aren't offensively high). Get your butt out of the 90's and Realise that Mac is a serious OS to develop for.
  • Options
    buhmkebuhmke Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You sir, are clearly a support agent. Stop moaning about Macs. They are actually nice machines, have good support at AppleCare, atleast for a good while. It does cost more but people pay more for a cup of coffee at a coffee bar then it costs in the super market, it doesn't make them idiots... If you use software that only runs on Mac OS because hardware peripherals and all are also MAC exclusive I am not going to build a **** pc myself to save a buck and still be stuck with Windows... No offense, if you still think that Mac OS is inferior to Windows, you're just hating. Or you are ill informed, one of both. Also I like having a screen tied in with my hardware so I don't have a monitor and a huge beast of a computer. Is it okay if I make the choice what I want and how much i want to pay for it, without being called an idiot. I have worked for Apple many years and everything you can do on a windows machine you can do (better) on a Mac as well, so what's your point? Just can't afford one? Or hating cuz it's a fashion to hate on Apple currently cuz smartasses like you don't understand how it works.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    saltykitty wrote: »
    why would you actively decide to decline marketing your product to MAC gamers?? beyond being rude that is just plain poor business practice.

Well no. Not really. It's a cost/benefit issue. Will the cost of developing the game to running smoothly on Macs and then supporting it on an ongoing basis be offset by sales and therefore be profitable? The answer for many companies is no. It's not a question of being rude, but being smart. Quite likely they have done the math realized that it would cost them more to develop it for Macs.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    so everyone's *****ing about mac vs pc since 2012. I just want to know if there is a mac version yet. If not I'll just play another game that includes everybody

Probably not worth the cost to develop an OpenGL renderer for it, not to mention the fact that few macs have really decent GPUs, and this game is weirdly heavy.

That is, of course, leaving aside the fact that when native mac ports often perform less well than just using bootcamp in a lot of cases. This is partly because less effort can be lavished on the OGL renderer compared to the DX one, but also because of the alarming performance hit sometimes caused by MacOSX's desktop context. I find that even games that have Mac versions available freely to me on Steam (because I already own the game) have markedly worse performance than booting the machine into Windows and running the DX version.

Of course, either is suboptimal, as my PC has much more frequently refreshed hardware as a rule, anyway, so tends to be a lot more suitable for gaming. I leave the Mac for audio jobs, mostly, as CoreAudio and chums are still A Good Thing.

This game can be a bit of a hog even on fairly decently equipped machines, built for gaming. I wouldn't really want to see it crowbarred onto the Mac, it would be both a waste and underwhelming.

Edit:

There's rumbling of some WINE support for it, though, earlier in this thread. That could be pretty cool:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?58181-Mac-client-for-Neverwinter&p=3283301&viewfull=1#post3283301

(WINE is a thing which emulates API calls rather than an entire guest OS, is a massive hack, and works incredibly well.. I have certainly had some luck using it to run DirectX games under Linux, and I know that it has worked well in some cases on the Mac.)
  • Options
    madmartigan1madmartigan1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Probably not worth the cost to develop an OpenGL renderer for it, not to mention the fact that few macs have really decent GPUs, and this game is weirdly heavy.

That is, of course, leaving aside the fact that when native mac ports often perform less well than just using bootcamp in a lot of cases. This is partly because less effort can be lavished on the OGL renderer compared to the DX one, but also because of the alarming performance hit sometimes caused by MacOSX's desktop context. I find that even games that have Mac versions available freely to me on Steam (because I already own the game) have markedly worse performance than booting the machine into Windows and running the DX version.

Of course, either is suboptimal, as my PC has much more frequently refreshed hardware as a rule, anyway, so tends to be a lot more suitable for gaming. I leave the Mac for audio jobs, mostly, as CoreAudio and chums are still A Good Thing.

This game can be a bit of a hog even on fairly decently equipped machines, built for gaming. I wouldn't really want to see it crowbarred onto the Mac, it would be both a waste and underwhelming.

Edit:

There's rumbling of some WINE support for it, though, earlier in this thread. That could be pretty cool:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?58181-Mac-client-for-Neverwinter&p=3283301&viewfull=1#post3283301

(WINE is a thing which emulates API calls rather than an entire guest OS, is a massive hack, and works incredibly well.. I have certainly had some luck using it to run DirectX games under Linux, and I know that it has worked well in some cases on the Mac.)

as a linux user ill support a mac client in hopes it will cause them to also make a linux client.

Sad part is all the fud that is thrown around on this thread makes me realize why windows is the dominant os..

AS far as mac users not having better gpu's Most macs have the latest gpu's provided they bought there mac recently. If not You can use off the shelf Nvidia and most ati gpu's with a mac sense they moved to x86 awhile back. Many mac users have done this many do it now..

As far as re writing the game for open gl.. Most intelligent programmers don't write there engine for ONE api its open ended enough to allow direct x or Open gl / Open Al or any other api they care to inject into it.

For people that say it would cost to much to support a mac or linux client or both... Where is the proof? Cause i think we can cite more proof that it increases a companies profits to go multi platform instead of being stuck in a Microsoft world.

As far as wine being a emulator its not.. It translates Direct X function calls to linux equivalent function calls. Notihng is done in emulation its all done by the hardware.
This discussion has been closed.