test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Official Neverwinter Wiki!

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
We're excited to announce our partnership with Curse for the official Neverwinter Wiki! http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Neverwinter_Wiki

The Neverwinter Wiki will be a central information source for all things Neverwinter, from guides about gameplay, races, and classes to entries about Forgotten Realms lore and tutorials on the Foundry. We'll be building out the content for it over the next few weeks, but the best part of the Wiki is that you can participate in its growth and awesomeness, starting right now!

Head here for more info: http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=869911

Q&A

How can I add new subsections to a page?

You can add any new page by enclosing it in "==" characters. For example:

"==Lore==" will create a new sub section called Lore which will then show up in the table of contents.

How can I link to my page from another page?

You can link to your page from anywhere on the Wiki by placing the page name in brackets, i.e. Mounts will link to the page called Mounts.

I made an entirely new section. How can I get it added to the front page?

Answer in progress!

How do I edit the intro of a page? It's not showing up when I try and edit a section.

You can edit the intro by clicking "Edit" at the top of the page. This will allow you to edit the entire page, rather than just a specific section.

What is the approval for new pages and page edits?

Content is automatically approved, but there is a team of volunteers, developers, Perfect World employees, and Curse employees actively monitoring the content and ensuring that everything is accurate and appropriate.

Enjoy! :)
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Excellent news!

I can't wait to see the community populate it with guides and information!
  • ooeyes1ooeyes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hello, everyone,

I'm Shawn Bruckner, or OOeyes on the wiki. I'm the official Curse liaison for Neverwinter Wiki and was responsible for putting it all together. I look forward to seeing you on the wiki, everyone!

And now that we've reached this moment, *dies.
  • vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    ooeyes1 wrote: »
    Hello, everyone,

I'm Shawn Bruckner, or OOeyes on the wiki. I'm the official Curse liaison for Neverwinter Wiki and was responsible for putting it all together. I look forward to seeing you on the wiki, everyone!

And now that we've reached this moment, *dies.

Thanks for the work on the site mate! Looks good! Can't wait for more information as it becomes available!

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • marzipanikmarzipanik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Woohoo! The Wiki looks amazing! ;)

It will be fun to watch it grow following open beta launch. Three cheers for all that hard work! Wikis are notoriously tedious to craft!
    RookBannerFinal_zpsc8b09fb3.png
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Finally..............
  • aurelploufaurelplouf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited April 2013
    Thank you! :)
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Umm... I think it needs more info if you dont mind me adding stuff to make it more... in depth
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Umm... I think it needs more info if you dont mind me adding stuff to make it more... in depth

That's the point!
    By all means go for it.

Just no trolling or Shawn/OOeyes will get angry :p
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That's the point!
    By all means go for it.

Just no trolling or Shawn/OOeyes will get angry :p

no trolling just want to add details
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Nice.

Now all we need is a Working character planner/builder and some sort of wowhead.com database site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
    edited April 2013
    Haha, yeah I know you wouldn't troll Death!

By all means the purpose of a Wiki is for the community users to update and supply information. While the developers are adding articles they not only allow you to as well they encourage it!
    Please, by all means contribute and expand on articles as you see fit. :)
    edited April 2013
    I had a look.

The wiki is not satisfactory.

There is no way to add lore, or introduction of the region. And official intro is non-existent.

Please have a look at how much access you give to users or add some intro yourself. As of now, it is just a list of what quest is in what region. that is all.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I had a look.

The wiki is not satisfactory.

There is no way to add lore, or introduction of the region. And official intro is non-existent.

Please have a look at how much access you give to users or add some intro yourself. As of now, it is just a list of what quest is in what region. that is all.

You create a new page and start writing away.
    That's what I did (Economy FAQ for newer users - at least how I describe it). I must have done a respectable job because someone named OOeyes moved it to the main index. I feel shpethule now!

@Gillrmn: YOU are the among the most knowledgable in those things you have mentioned yourself. Seriously: you could help make that wiki rock!

Here's what I did: I used the rich text editor on my system to write everything out (and I'm pretty sure I caught all the spelling goofs) - formatted it, reviewed it and made sure it was complete. Then I copied, did a search for the subject matter - top link in the results is to create a new page.

Though I don't have a clue how to edit a Wiki page - I found it was actually very easy! There are the formatting tools to insert the formatting code - which makes it pretty easy to get it respectable. Then just publish the page. Fortunately someone *official* fixed the indexing part and moved it to the index.

I see this as a win-win - I did the heavy-lifting (writing the article and all that stuff) and the Cryptic team only needed to do some minor touch-up, so it saves them a lot of time.

Thank you Somitator and the rest for encouraging me (and all of us!) to just jump-in with both feet (as I've shied away from Wiki participation for years because of the "confusing" nature of it all.) I will say this was an interesting experience, not unlike editing a touch of HTML code. And the best part: I feel like I contributed to the community. I encourage others to do the same!

Planning some serious Foundry tips and tricks next!
    edited April 2013
    ...Seriously: you could help make that wiki rock!...
    It is not that I idn't try to edit it. I gave up after one hour of fruitless effort. If you look at first page, the names of the gates, places in PE, NPC in PE were all filled in by me.
    I tried my best to find a place to add intro of regions, a bit of lore - nowehere.
    But in the end that was all. It is just a place to add lists of things and quests. It is not a real wiki.

Perhaps it caters to MMO crowd who is looking for stats and stuff only, maybe list of where this quest is who gives it etc. That is not my kind of thing.
    edited April 2013
    Gill what exactly are you looking for?

There's a bunch of things which can be expanded as lore such as these.

I don't have a ton of experience in wiki editing but worse come to worse maybe you can contact OOeyes. I'm sure he's open to requests.
    edited April 2013
    Lets take a page which is not red and a bt filled. The one I edited a bit.

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Protector's_Enclave
    ==================================
    First of all Intro - you cannot edit it.

Then
    - Exits
    <Just a list of gates>

-Points of interests
    <Just a list of locations shown in map>

-NPCs
    -Vendors
    -Various
    <A list of NPCs>

Quests
    Ends within this zone
    <list of quests>
    Occurs entirely within this zone
    <list>
    Stars and ends within this zone
    <list>
    Starts within this zone
    <list>

Gallery
    <add pictures, screenshots>
    ====================================

That is it.

I filled the names of gates, points of interest and NPCs and that is when I gave up. There is no intro for this location, no proper headings of its history, demographics, ruled by etc.

In short, as I said before, its just designed to be a list for MMO crowd - more like a small database of quests, questgivers and icons on map. It is not a wiki.
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Nice.

Now all we need is a Working character planner/builder and some sort of wowhead.com database site.

there is a person making such a thing :D

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?136411-Power-Calculator

it isn't a db site, but it is an ability planner at least.

Gill
    '''Protector's Enclave''' is a major hub within the city of Neverwinter. It is also a quest hub for part of the storyline.  Many vendors sell items.

this is the line you'd start to edit to include Lore. You could also add a section on that page called =Lore= (may need more or less = but I hope you get the point).

unless you mean that the page is locked and only certain 'account groups' can edit it. That'd be a different story.

also note totally oops about that Many vendors sell items. part. i hit cancel but somehow it saved ><

I added a ==Lore== section. you can fill that part in.

for people that do not know much about contributing to a wiki. you can head to google and type in
    wiki help <thing you dont know how to do>

This will usually give results to the wiki help section where everything is explained.

PS Forum people, please change the css for the code block. that white is horrible.
    pss Can we have a WIKI subforum for some questions/discussing about formatting, should i post a page about x? a place just to discuss the official wiki.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
    edited April 2013
    Thanks. I was not pressing the edit button on top left but pressing edit button on topics.

Now I got it.

Regarding code, use QUOTE tag and cover the code in NOPARSE tag. That is much better and visually appealing.
  • ooeyes1ooeyes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The intro can be edited. You simply have to use the EDIT button at the top of the page to open the whole page rather than the edit links in the page itself. That's just how the underlying software is designed, unfortunately, but the intros are in no way protected.

And I have no opposition in adding lore. I simply fleshed out a few location pages based on information I had at the time. I didn't work on lore simply because there was limited time and I felt gameplay details were the most important to have in place for launch, not because I thought other details shouldn't be there. I think a paragraph or a couple short ones in the intro with by an optional expanded lore section at the end is a great idea.
  • dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey All!

Thanks to everyone that has asked or answered questions on this thread.

I've updated the OP with some Q&A/guidance. Please feel free to continue posting your questions here and we will do our best to address your concerns!
  • agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sweet! Now how are we going to integrate this Wiki with Foundry created content? ;)
    edited April 2013
    Sweet! Now how are we going to integrate this Wiki with Foundry created content? ;)

This is something the community needs to decide on. I've started a discussion on this topic on the wiki.
    edited April 2013
    ooeyes1 wrote: »
    This is something the community needs to decide on. I've started a discussion on this topic on the wiki.
    We were told that a certain button in game while opening foundry will open up this wiki for reading.
    edited April 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    We were told that a certain button in game while opening foundry will open up this wiki for reading.

Which makes perfect sense since we're building up a guide for the Foundry, but that doesn't help decide how to handle pages for the actual Foundry quests people are making.

Coming from my experience with STOWiki, we didn't used to allow Foundry missions to be on the wiki at all. Then the community approved a policy that allowed it, but had strict conventions for naming the articles and where they showed up. At the time (I forget whether I was just a regular user or community admin then, but I wasn't working for Curse yet), I was the sole voice advocating looser conventions. But these kinds of decisions should be made by a wiki community, and hence we went with the stricter standards.

So the question to discuss now is, how does this wiki community want to handle these quests?
  • alrycalryc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18
    edited April 2013
    Hopefully the wiki will clarify some confusions. When I read the Drider blog, it stuck me that Crytpic got things backwords. Driders weren't the "chosen" but to quote from a D&D 3.5ed:

Driders do not form societies of their own, and they are typically shunned from (if not outright hunted by) any society of which they were originally a member. Their hateful and destructive nature prevents them from cooperating with others for any extended length of time. Consequently most driders are solitary, and those that aren’t are almost never found in anything more than pairs.

Going back to my old books (yes I still have them) both the 1st and 2nd ed also have similar stories about Driders. Even in R.A. Salvatore's novel Homeland, Driders weren't the "chosen" but were outcasts.

Now if Neverwinter is in some new setting that changes all this, well then I stand corrected. :)
    edited April 2013
    alryc wrote: »
    Hopefully the wiki will clarify some confusions. When I read the Drider blog, it stuck me that Crytpic got things backwords. Driders weren't the "chosen" but to quote from a D&D 3.5ed:

Driders do not form societies of their own, and they are typically shunned from (if not outright hunted by) any society of which they were originally a member. Their hateful and destructive nature prevents them from cooperating with others for any extended length of time. Consequently most driders are solitary, and those that aren’t are almost never found in anything more than pairs.

Going back to my old books (yes I still have them) both the 1st and 2nd ed also have similar stories about Driders. Even in R.A. Salvatore's novel Homeland, Driders weren't the "chosen" but were outcasts.

Now if Neverwinter is in some new setting that changes all this, well then I stand corrected. :)

I have practically zero knowledge of the Forgotten Realms business as I'm a Dragonlance transplant (Hey Cryptic: where are my DRACONIANS, darn it!?) -Anywaze... I saw in another thread on this subject where someone with some heavy-duty version 4 knowledge explained how Wizards completely redefined Driders and their back-story. And since Cryptic's Neverwinter is official based on the version 4 rules, they are correct.

Hey, @Gillrmn, when needed, where are youuuuuu!? LOL
    edited April 2013
    I may not be Gill but the answer is simpler than you might think.

Close the previous edition books and open Fourth Edition books.

Fourth edition changed a lot of lore. If you notice a discrepancy between your lore and Cryptic's it likely has to do with changes in Fourth Edition.

Whether lore from previous editions should be permitted on the wiki is a pretty big consideration too as it could lead to some confusion.
    edited April 2013
    Yah... anyway... Wizards of the Coast main office is literally 3 minutes from me down the street (My bestest friend works their in I.T. department) - so if anyone needs a head or two bashed over there over this Drider reclassification and whatnot - just give the word. It'll cost you 5,000,000,000,000,000 Astral Diamonds in-world, though. And you have to pay up-front.

ON-TOPIC: Perhaps this qestion about Drider back-story is a perfect example (FAQ style) for inclusion in the Wiki? (And maybe someone already has done it - I'm focussing on Foundry pages myself).

~three thumbs up~
    edited April 2013
    *sigh* I made such a beautiful post and its lost because there was an ASCII character in quote....
    edited April 2013
    In answer to the rider question, it is complicated. But let me assure you that it is correct.

The dev in charge of lore is not very visible but he is very knowledgeable about lore and is always accurate about it. The lore in game also will be 100% canon and accurate, and without reading I can tell you that.

Thank you whoever the invisible man in charge of lore is for giving us accurate lore.

please read this book to update your lore:-

Menzoberranzan - City of Intrigue

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regarding the answer, you will be surprized that the answer to your question is very complicated, but after you read this answer you will be happy. 4e has polished its lore a lot and seldom do I see a person who is truly interested in lore be unsatisfied after they have read the complete truth about it.

The lolth "blesses" the drow to become driders who are brainwashed and haughty form of drow. However most believe that it is a sarcastic sense of Lolth who is super S.

Afterall if you remember regarding that Ooze god Ghauraunder, Lolth is very proud of her sense of elven beauty even when she is deformed. So why would her blessed be like UGLY??? It is a very valid vewpoint.

But in drow society if you question her ways, even when you are correct you will be executed. So you always will have to go with official statement that those guys are "blessed" and have to humor them that way.

Secondly, their are staunch belivers who actually believe that driders are blessed and not cursed. For example in House Melarn, everybody aspires to become a drider as they think it is a blessing. This has also given their house strength and power so such an approach is good for them.

In the end you have to understand they are drow. Official statement does not always mean the truth. Infact you may dig as much as you want but never scratch the surface of truth. And that is the beauty of this lore.

There is official statement of blessing, which may actually be a curse. But you can never know. Just interpret.

However the point is, some drow believe Drider being a curse, some drow think it to be a blessing.