test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Official Neverwinter Wiki!

2»

Comments

• werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    not knowing 4e lore past what i have read in this forum i suppose i could believe that being turned into a half spider while worshiping the Spider Queen sounds reasonable enough to be called a blessing even if only in words.
    21.jpg
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ooeyes1 wrote: »
    Which makes perfect sense since we're building up a guide for the Foundry, but that doesn't help decide how to handle pages for the actual Foundry quests people are making.

Coming from my experience with STOWiki, we didn't used to allow Foundry missions to be on the wiki at all. Then the community approved a policy that allowed it, but had strict conventions for naming the articles and where they showed up. At the time (I forget whether I was just a regular user or community admin then, but I wasn't working for Curse yet), I was the sole voice advocating looser conventions. But these kinds of decisions should be made by a wiki community, and hence we went with the stricter standards.

So the question to discuss now is, how does this wiki community want to handle these quests?

It should be a strict control imo, because we authors tend to be enhusiastic about our content. So a word limit, field limit etc ahouls be implemented. That said, there should be ome empty fields which let authors add things which make their campaign different in limited words.

However, we will have to rewrite a lot if foundry and normal Wiki is separated. afaik, STO Foundry was never really integrated to the game. The foundry in Neverwinter is integrated with the game. So eventually foundry pages may end up with twice the work.

This will also bring in another perspective. We will need a canon of the all the regions which can possibly be included in foundry stating the changes which happened recently which can serve as a source of guide or a handbook for them to design their quests within this timeframe. . . . .

Maybe it is better to define the limits of Wiki beforehand so the things can be focused on specific things rather than spent energy on things which may not be necessary.
  • dvscalesingerdvscalesinger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just thought maybe this should be added to the wiki: Map of Faerun

I know it is helping me keep track of certain lore locations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FOR THE SEVEN!!!
  • ashneraashnera Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just finished updating the Guardian Fighter page *Phew* Will try to keep it up to date with patch changes.
    Wiki is starting to look good ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][url]
    http://twitch.tv/xilana[/url]
  • aguemortaguemort Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For anyone that had edits on nwowiki.co, i will be shutting the wiki down in 01 May 2013, so feel free to grab anything that is on there that you want to port over to the other wiki before then. after 01 May, the entire site, to inclue the domain will be deactivated and/or deleted. thanks.
  • leetsawcesleetsawces Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 81
    edited April 2013
    What is with the neverwinter wiki anyways? Literally 95% of anything I type in has nothing found, as in a page hasn't been created. The wiki is empty to say the LEAST
  • elsenrailczelsenrailcz Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Saw it and must admit its pretty cool and I hope it will widen number of articles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ooeyes1ooeyes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    leetsawces wrote: »
    What is with the neverwinter wiki anyways? Literally 95% of anything I type in has nothing found, as in a page hasn't been created. The wiki is empty to say the LEAST

I've been told Neverwinter is difficult to data mine, so any kind of data dump to the wiki is probably not feasible. But even that would only create a bunch of stub pages that wouldn't necessarily be helpful.

Meanwhile, there have only been four closed beta weekends and five days of early access, and not quite 11 hours of open beta. That hasn't been a lot of time to collect information, much less enter it on the wiki. But as the wiki community grows, it should being filling in at a much better pace.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    ooeyes1 wrote: »
    I've been told Neverwinter is difficult to data mine, so any kind of data dump to the wiki is probably not feasible. But even that would only create a bunch of stub pages that wouldn't necessarily be helpful.

Meanwhile, there have only been four closed beta weekends and five days of early access, and not quite 11 hours of open beta. That hasn't been a lot of time to collect information, much less enter it on the wiki. But as the wiki community grows, it should being filling in at a much better pace.

When the wiki was first announced I stared at all those empty links thinking:
    "Hmmm...if only I could play then I could actually fill this stuff in."

However now that the game is live I've been having much less time to enter information on the wiki.

We'll see it flushed out soon though. Like you I have no worries.
    The game is live now. The wiki will likely explode once the launch jitters wear off.
  • rasputinyrasputiny Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Didn't the game go into open beta 12 hours ago?
  • leetsawcesleetsawces Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    Didn't the devs announce and make multiple ads/pop ups about how happy they were to announce the official wiki over a week ago? And happily I might ad, that's like saying you are paying your way through school to get your MD by stripping... "well im a doctor, okay not yet, but Im going to be. So dont call me a stripper. What do you mean Im not graduated yet with an MD? Im still a doctor" if it is completely worthless and 95% empty as it is why send players there only to type something in and see the inevitable "This page has not yet been created"
  • ooeyes1ooeyes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Didn't the devs announce and make multiple ads/pop ups about how happy they were to announce the official wiki over a week ago? And happily I might ad, that's like saying you are paying your way through school to get your MD by stripping... "well im a doctor, okay not yet, but Im going to be. So dont call me a stripper. What do you mean Im not graduated yet with an MD? Im still a doctor" if it is completely worthless and 95% empty as it is why send players there only to type something in and see the inevitable "This page has not yet been created"

If someday in the future, doctors start getting their education by convincing a vast group of professors, researchers, and other doctors to spend part of their spare time training them, this comparison would be more applicable. But even in that case, med students would be able to better target their advertisements because it's a lot easier to determine who in the population has medical expertise because there are credentials for that. In our case, our readers and editors come from the same group: players, and there's no easy way to predetermine who among them might be good editors, so we have to try to reach out to them all.

There's just a fundamental chicken-and-egg problem here that most wikis manage to work their way through. Content is needed to attract users, and users are needed to generate content. Telling us not to advertise because we're not 95% complete (or even 10% complete) means we never reach those milestones. The estimate I usually hear is that only 5% of wiki users actually contribute to a project, so that forces us to cast a wide net.

Also, note that the original plan was to wait until after release to open a official wiki. You've got 5% more now than you would have even had after release if that had happened.
  • healsareophealsareop Member Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Where can I get a free respec without being a founder? I heard it was level 30 but I didn't get one, or don't know where to go to get one. Anyone know? If there isn't one free respec soon that is horrible.
  • keaankeaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for making that on wiki. It's very well made. Bookmarked it.
    Sometimes I visit this place when have questions about game :)
  • mstrssihrmstrssihr Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have high quality screen shots of items that are currently not on the wiki. I don't know how to edit wiki and unfortunately don't really have the drive to learn how to do it, yet. Anyone willing to take said screen shots and use them to add to or create a page?

Add: I have been wanting to find a super active NWO/Wiki buddy to help out with this stuff, if u are that person please reply here and let me know!

*note to self, check YouTube for possible tutorial vids on how work with Wiki syntax*
    - Major Peachy Bottom * Gutbuster's Brigade -

"Last request - microtransactions for alllll old skins for zen/weapon appearance changes, 500 zen to make ur wep glow the color/enchant you want it... You will make more off that one item than any other zen item ever made." freshour

"beckylunatic" Gateway AH should have column headers to sort by buyout, bid, end time, quantity, etc. These disappeared iirc with the module launch. It's obnoxious.