test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An Epic Conclusion to Weekend Four, A.K.A. "How the WoW addict broke his addiction"

ashterrorashterror Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I purchased my founders pack right before beta weekend 3, and last night proved to me that it was the best investment I've ever made in a video game pre-release.

A little backstory; I've been playing MMOs since the mid 90s. My longest runs have been with EQ and WoW. So far, WoW's had most of my time, but both were 8+ years. But beyond those, I've graced the fields of dozens of others. I've had fun with them, to be sure, and thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. However, as most of you who have done the dance of new MMOs understand, they can lose their flavor or suffer from player loss, sometimes even being pushed out too soon can ruin the entire game because of a loss of an aspect that would have otherwise brought the game together perfectly.

I've also been a tabletop gamer since I was little little. 1989 my big brother taught me all about Dungeons & Dragons and I was immediately hooked. It was my 8th birthday when he handed me my first PHB and I still have it. It's my first "love" (dwarfed only by my love of Star Wars) and I'm pleased to say, I've started indoctrinating my children into it's immense and amazing rulesets.

Anyway, I'm babbling, and apologize but I wanted to set the stage. I'm a WoW Addict. I've tried and tried and tried to quit, but I can't. Most of the reason I still play is because of my great friends whom I've known for a number of years, some friendships going all the way back to EQ. But the other reason is, even though the content is just bleached, washed, pressed, recolored and plastered back in our faces, I'm good at it and I enjoy that feeling.

...you know. That feeling where everything comes together perfectly, you feel that "click" and win the day. Be it PvP or PvE, you all know it. I live for that moment, regardless of how often it's occurred. To me, it defines my ability to impress upon others my understanding and make things work. But the one thing I really miss, that....that one truly defining moment of why MMORPGs are the best games in the world...is that panicked moment when you set foot in a bosses room for the first time on a new toon you just leveled, and you're a little unsure of yourself. You anticipate failure but reach for success, and you're so anxious with the thought of diving right in, you find that your hands shake just a bit as you grip the mouse and keypad. You become hyper aware for fear of making a mistake. You become so intensely focused that you could be robbed blind just sitting there and not care. And then, in that clutch moment, it comes together. The "click" and the apprehension...oooh. It gives me chills.

I haven't felt that feeling in a long, long time. But last night, I had the pleasure and the privilege to experience that for the first time since I killed Ragnaros back in Vanilla. At level 35, my rogue helped slay a dragon.

And it was the best dragon fight I've ever been in.

I'm sure some of you have done the Lair of the Mad Dragon, and for those who haven't, I won't ruin it all...but I couldn't hold in my excitement from doing this encounter. But five of us entered and experienced a depth of hellish fun that I have never, in all my years of video gaming, have ever experienced ever! The fight lasted so long, and the dragon..oh my giddy Aunt Betty...the dragon! It was a dragon! Not just some dragon mob with weird and unusual mechanics; an honest dragon! Green! And it breathed the right breath weapon! It buffeted it's wings to keep us from it's flanks! It cleaved with it's claws and bit with it's head! It hopped and slammed down to clear us away! It swept it's tail to keep it's backside free! It called in adds! TONS OF ADDS! Not easily managed adds; casters, juggernauts, fodder of all shapes and sizes!

It was controlled chaos beyond anything I've ever experienced! There was no pre-strat! There was no plan! We had a dragon to kill and that is what we did! All thirteen minutes of crazy, constantly moving, constantly going "ohmygodI'mgonnaDIE!" but never quite making it to death's door.

But we killed it! And not a single person bit the dust...well, except for the companions. But it was the single greatest dragon fight I have ever took part in and with an hour left until beta weekend 4 was to come to an end...I could have been logged out, right then in there in that cave...and I wouldn't have cared on bit. Because I killed that dragon, with a group of strangers who reacted and wove magic in the finest way.

So, I want to thank that party, from the bottom of my heart and in the sincerest way I know how. And, I'd like to thank the developers too, with the same level of sincerity and awe. Thank you all so much for helping me break my addiction to WoW and for showing me the greatest battle I have ever taken place in. Know that I faithfully, patiently wait for the Open Beta and release dates for the chance to play again.

TL;DR - Salut!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by ashterror on

Comments

• Options
    crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013
    ashterror wrote: »
    I purchased my founders pack right before beta weekend 3, and last night proved to me that it was the best investment I've ever made in a video game pre-release.

A little backstory; I've been playing MMOs since the mid 90s. My longest runs have been with EQ and WoW. So far, WoW's had most of my time, but both were 8+ years. But beyond those, I've graced the fields of dozens of others. I've had fun with them, to be sure, and thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. However, as most of you who have done the dance of new MMOs understand, they can lose their flavor or suffer from player loss, sometimes even being pushed out too soon can ruin the entire game because of a loss of an aspect that would have otherwise brought the game together perfectly.

I've also been a tabletop gamer since I was little little. 1989 my big brother taught me all about Dungeons & Dragons and I was immediately hooked. It was my 8th birthday when he handed me my first PHB and I still have it. It's my first "love" (dwarfed only by my love of Star Wars) and I'm pleased to say, I've started indoctrinating my children into it's immense and amazing rulesets.

Anyway, I'm babbling, and apologize but I wanted to set the stage. I'm a WoW Addict. I've tried and tried and tried to quit, but I can't. Most of the reason I still play is because of my great friends whom I've known for a number of years, some friendships going all the way back to EQ. But the other reason is, even though the content is just bleached, washed, pressed, recolored and plastered back in our faces, I'm good at it and I enjoy that feeling.

...you know. That feeling where everything comes together perfectly, you feel that "click" and win the day. Be it PvP or PvE, you all know it. I live for that moment, regardless of how often it's occurred. To me, it defines my ability to impress upon others my understanding and make things work. But the one thing I really miss, that....that one truly defining moment of why MMORPGs are the best games in the world...is that panicked moment when you set foot in a bosses room for the first time on a new toon you just leveled, and you're a little unsure of yourself. You anticipate failure but reach for success, and you're so anxious with the thought of diving right in, you find that your hands shake just a bit as you grip the mouse and keypad. You become hyper aware for fear of making a mistake. You become so intensely focused that you could be robbed blind just sitting there and not care. And then, in that clutch moment, it comes together. The "click" and the apprehension...oooh. It gives me chills.

I haven't felt that feeling in a long, long time. But last night, I had the pleasure and the privilege to experience that for the first time since I killed Ragnaros back in Vanilla. At level 35, my rogue helped slay a dragon.

I'm sure some of you have done the Lair of the Mad Dragon, and for those who haven't, I won't ruin it all...but I couldn't hold in my excitement from doing this encounter. But five of us entered and experienced a depth of hellish fun that I have never, in all my years of video gaming, have ever experienced ever! The fight lasted so long, and the dragon..oh my giddy Aunt Betty...the dragon! It was a dragon! Not just some dragon mob with weird and unusual mechanics; an honest dragon! Green! And it breathed the right breath weapon! It buffeted it's wings to keep us from it's flanks! It cleaved with it's claws and bit with it's head! It hopped and slammed down to clear us away! It swept it's tail to keep it's backside free! It called in adds! TONS OF ADDS! Not easily managed adds; casters, juggernauts, fodder of all shapes and sizes!

It was controlled chaos beyond anything I've ever experienced! There was no pre-strat! There was no plan! We had a dragon to kill and that is what we did! All thirteen minutes of crazy, constantly moving, constantly going "ohmygodI'mgonnaDIE!" but never quite making it to death's door.

But we killed it! And not a single person bit the dust...well, except for the companions. But it was the single greatest dragon fight I have ever took part in and with an hour left until beta weekend 4 was to come to an end...I could have been logged out, right then in there in that cave...and I wouldn't have cared on bit. Because I killed that dragon, with a group of strangers who reacted and wove magic in the finest way.

So, I want to thank that party, from the bottom of my heart and in the sincerest way I know how. And, I'd like to thank the developers too, with the same level of sincerity and awe. Thank you all so much for helping me break my addiction to WoW and for showing me the greatest battle I have ever taken place in. Know that I faithfully, patiently wait for the Open Beta and release dates for the chance to play again.

TL;DR - Salut!

This post brought a smile to my face... Thank you for sharing your story :)

As a dev it's been great to play the game with all of you filling the servers with so much life. Very excited for open beta! :)
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This post brought a smile to my face... Thank you for sharing your story :)

As a dev it's been great to play the game with all of you filling the servers with so much life. Very excited for open beta! :)

As long time follower of this game, like before the Atari sell long it did the same thing. I was so glad to see it.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That fight is epic for sure. I absolutely love the delves in the game and hope they continue to add to them to keep things fresh.
  • Options
    njgreen123456njgreen123456 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 97
    edited April 2013

TL;DR - Salut!

You Sir, are a Gentleman and a scholar. This single post got me more Amped up to play this game then anything else. I want to be in that dungeon I want to slay that dragon.
  • Options
    txhawktxhawk Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That fight is epic for sure. I absolutely love the delves in the game and hope they continue to add to them to keep things fresh.

I wouldn't know. By the time we had a group together, I was one level too high to get in.

But I'm not bitter....
    Waiting for paladins...
  • Options
    vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

Great post OP. To the above, I totally agree. The group dungeons in this game are insanely fun. I have also been massively impressed with the foundry content that I have experienced as well. So far the content in this game is just outright awesome!

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    desmundesmun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited April 2013
    This was a great read. Well written post indeed. Thank you OP for such a good post.
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great post! Im emailing a copy to my friend who plays WoW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    leissesleisses Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great post! I was already sick to fight the dragon and now I'm even more.
  • Options
    eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great post. Thanks for sharing. :cool:
    I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)
  • Options
    sarsparilla1sarsparilla1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I healed this fight 6 times and the last time we got the dragon down to about 25% before getting smeared across the lair. It's definitely a tough fight. I think we would have done much better if I had a fade or some way to drop some healing aggro but in all honesty I didn't have soothe equipped yet so I could have done better as a healer.

I look forward to a little payback come launch.
  • Options
    cakuucakuu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited April 2013
    I want to see this dragon! :D

Thank you for sharing your experiences, ashterror. There are so many that felt the same way, myself included :)
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited April 2013
    The thing is that the action combat brings back the heroic element into mmos. What always irked me about EQ, WoW, WAR, AoC (continue the list...) is that the end game was all about stats and mechanics. It did not matter how well you used your skills, once your healer's battery was empty, or if you missed a sequence in the boss mechanic, then it was over.

The action combat with it's active dodge and block puts the player back in control of his character and what someone might not bring in stats or armor he can make up with good timing, positioning, dodging etc...5 players fighting a dragon certainly feels a lot more heroic than 24 players zerging a boss to death because they don't cut it on their own.

I tried Lair of the Mad Dragon 3 times and we wiped all 3 times, also due to having 2 clerics in our party who had aggro issues during weekend 3. However, one time a GWF was the only survivor with the rest of us down and the dragon at half health. And he managed to get him down to 10% SOLO, before the dragon finally called in his demon lord buddies and made a snack out of him.

But this is what the game is about: Heroism. And in Neverwinter it works, thanks to the ability to control your character in more meaningful ways than just being a walking spreadsheet.
  • Options
    loliamosloliamos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

TL;DR - Salut!

Fantastic post, mentioned in my blog to show your feelings about the game, to show it to people and developers. Thank you very much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Wow...

That was one heck of a story! If I wasn't sold from my own personal experience I am sold on yours.

I'm truly glad you enjoyed the game so much. You sounds like a kid who experienced ice cream for the first time...
    And that is no small compliment to the quality of the game! :D

Spoiler!!! For those who want to see the dragon. Do not click if you want to be surprised! Spoiler!!!
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Aw. She is cute. I want to give the poor thing a hug.
  • Options
    ashterrorashterror Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow...

That was one heck of a story! If I wasn't sold from my own personal experience I am sold on yours.

I'm truly glad you enjoyed the game so much. You sounds like a kid who experienced ice cream for the first time...
    And that is no small compliment to the quality of the game! :D

Spoiler!!! For those who want to see the dragon. Do not click if you want to be surprised! Spoiler!!!

Yes! Exactly that! I may have weaved a good one, but it doesn't even begin to fully describe just how fantastically awesome it was or the sensations I felt! I caught myself holding my breath more than once!

If any of you have friends who play WoW and languish in it's stagnancy, or anyone who loves good old fashion D&D kick-buttery -- get them to play this game! It will shake their very foundations and reawaken that spark to go out and adventure! I say this without a shred of doubt; and I wasn't even at end game! So just based on all the story arcs and quest chains that connect them all that I've done, and the dungeons that I've had the pleasure of doing, it means that this game only gets better and better!

Get them to play! Get them on the Open Beta! Get them into the community, my Giddy Aunt is this community great! But most importantly, get them away from WoW!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grimorkingrimorkin Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You anticipate failure but reach for success, and you're so anxious with the thought of diving right in, you find that your hands shake just a bit as you grip the mouse and keypad. You become hyper aware for fear of making a mistake. You become so intensely focused that you could be robbed blind just sitting there and not care. And then, in that clutch moment, it comes together. The "click" and the apprehension...oooh. It gives me chills.

Just reading your description reminds me of that feeling; the first time I raided in WoW, the first PvP i did in SWTOR, being thrown the flag in Tribes when I was surrounded by the other team!

It's an awesome feeling and I am so looking forward to open beta!
    Swordmage.jpg
  • Options
    tttsssrrr1tttsssrrr1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Cryptic should probably fire their marketing department, hire this guy instead and use all the money they save + all the extra money from more players and reinvest in their projects. This is honestly the only thing I've read or done that has really gotten me interested in playing the game... and that's even after actually playing the game.
  • Options
    ripperwndripperwnd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Very good post. I really enjoyed reading your message. The game certainly has an epic combat system. However one of my fears was that It had not really challenging content but this thread takes me out of doubt.
  • Options
    vonthvonth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited April 2013
    tttsssrrr1 wrote: »
    Cryptic should probably fire their marketing department, hire this guy instead and use all the money they save + all the extra money from more players and reinvest in their projects. This is honestly the only thing I've read or done that has really gotten me interested in playing the game... and that's even after actually playing the game.

I never ever think you can buy the feeling of goosebumps :)

Thanks for the great post, it reminded me the memories, glad to have these kind of players to play with!
  • Options
    wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    txhawk wrote: »
    I wouldn't know. By the time we had a group together, I was one level too high to get in.

But I'm not bitter....

If you go to the entrance of the dungeon with your group, you can still run it, even if you are to high to use the 'queue' system.
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really enjoyed this post. I think that was the ONLY 5 man instance that I didn't do in the beta tests. but that said, I found the fight's to be awesome - I wouldn't be able to describe them with such poetic 'flair' but, still, I certainly had a blast. And like the op, other MMORPG's have 'paled' in comparison to the fluid combat mechanics of this game. (in my opinion, of course.)
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vassilizaitsevvassilizaitsev Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thx for a good read. I was really impressed that the devs responded to it. Rightfully so, it just doesn't happen often (at least not in other mmos). I too very much love this game. I came into it with no real expectations. Loved every min of it. I can not wait for April 27th. It can not come fast enough.
  • Options
    stargateaustargateau Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really enjoyed reading your post OP, the fight is truly epic and kept me up until day break, first time in years!. My friends and I never did defeat it, closest was 9% but we had so much fun that nothing really mattered.. just wish they make a teleport point after each boss for new people who join mid way into a dungeon.
  • Options
    rutgar151277rutgar151277 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow...that's a good post to read, i can understand the feelings, still have to see the Dragon in Neverwinter....but i'm not in a hurry...i just hope and i want to enjoy both the journey and the end....but that it's not the end anyway :D
  • Options
    vandraegonvandraegon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Good post, OP.

I have a similar gaming background. I actually played a PONG home console way back in the day. Atari 2600, etc. Table top D&D learned in Middle School(no older siblings). Wolfenstein(iirc) on the old Apple IIe in high school. Yes, i am a Gen X gamer. After school it was on to table top wargaming. Warhammer 40k, three fully painted large armies. Awesome. Once i bought my own pc i was an AC addict for 2.5 years.

For me however, things got stale. Quit AC for DAoC. Then went to Wow for a year. Made a few trips back but i could never hang on to the magic, it always got too blah. Those first experiences in a mmo are pretty special and awesome. I will always remember my very first mmo dungeon crawl. So awesome.

Good for you that you have been able to hang on to the interest for so long. I like what i have seen in NW and hopefully i can play it a good long while. I am especially hopeful for great foundry content.
  • Options
    averytingwongaverytingwong Member, NW_CrypticDev, Moderators, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As the dev who did the FX for said breath weapon, I hope it melts many future adventurers! Thank you for sharing this epic tale. :)
    Visual FX Artist - Neverwinter, Environment Artist - City of Heroes/Villains, Champions Online
  • Options
    dioxazinedioxazine Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This thread made its way around the office this morning, and I wanted to say thank you for sharing it as well. =) As a long time MMO player, former WoW addict, and lifelong D&D fan it was a nice read. As a developer, it was an absolute joy.

Wait... who let Avery on the forums?