test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An Epic Conclusion to Weekend Four, A.K.A. "How the WoW addict broke his addiction"

2»

Comments

• Options
    thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Excellent post.. That sums it all up right there. My hat is off to you, and yes, this post should be a sticky.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • Options
    ashterrorashterror Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As the dev who did the FX for said breath weapon, I hope it melts many future adventurers! Thank you for sharing this epic tale. :)

Then you, my good sir, did a fantastic job of freaking me out in every which way possible! I was on his backside the first time he breathed so I didn't get to see it lay into the GWF. But, right after the first adds appeared, I was dancing around the imps when he turned and faced my way.

That red line hit the ground and I was dead center...I think I yelped in panic. I just double tapped and rolled, praying to God that I was going to make it out of there! I did! But the GWF got clipped dodging the hellfire of another mob. I was straight up shaking!

Do my a favor though, if you would be so kind; kiss the dev who said "let's let them wing buffet and slam to clear their flanks" because that was genius! It was a must have! And so many games with so many dragons lacked that "hey, I'm a big thing with wings! Lemme flap to clear these annoying pests! Oh! Wanna hide under me? Upsy daisy!" when they should have had it!

Just awesome, just straight up, plain great job you guys have done. I'm so impressed, nay-- awe-struck at the job you guys have done to bring this world to life. To keep integrity in the ruleset and just making it so much fun to do.

And I'm glad that my little adventure could bring a smile to everyone's face. I know I have a perma-grin from it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    oddvardoddvard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Awesome post, OP.
    I'll be honest, I've never been much of a dungeon fighter---I prefer solo play and so had no real intentions of getting into groups and seeing the dungeon fights ... but now...now I want to kill me a dragon !
    My thanks to you for this.
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dioxazine wrote: »
    Wait... who let Avery on the forums?

I apologize. That was me. I told him the legend of the moose and he chased it right into the forums and broke through all firewalls to do so. Never ever tell Avery about the legend of the moose.

OP . . . I would love permission to share a quote of your thread on our fleet forums as well, if I may.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I apologize. That was me. I told him the legend of the moose and he chased it right into the forums and broke through all firewalls to do so. Never ever tell Avery about the legend of the moose.

OP . . . I would love permission to share a quote of your thread on our fleet forums as well, if I may.

Permission granted! Spread the love around!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    averytingwongaverytingwong Member, NW_CrypticDev, Moderators, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ashterror wrote: »
    Do my a favor though, if you would be so kind; kiss the dev who said "let's let them wing buffet and slam to clear their flanks" because that was genius!

I would, but I don't think he'd appreciate being kissed by me. Plus he is big and hairy. I'm not all too into that. Not to mention this was a whole team effort, design, animation, and character each had a part in making the fights awesome! :) Just wait till you get to some of the later boss battles. :D
    dioxazine wrote: »

Wait... who let Avery on the forums?

A wild Avery has appeared! I'm just here to cause trouble, as usual. ;)
    Visual FX Artist - Neverwinter, Environment Artist - City of Heroes/Villains, Champions Online
  • Options
    marzipanikmarzipanik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Heh heh. =D

The post was indeed very well written, and warms the heart of a long-time gamer too. I can't wait to encounter this dragon, and the many other adventures that still lie ahead!
    RookBannerFinal_zpsc8b09fb3.png
  • Options
    druid2009druid2009 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh man, those moments are the best. Nice read. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Telvashias-
    "The wind...It whispers a name. Come, let us hunt." -Unknown Pack.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What a great post by OP. Enjoyed reading it!
  • Options
    visidiousvisidious Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for sharing your story, looking forward to this and more.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just wait till you get to some of the later boss battles. :D
    The boss fight at the end of the Chasm dungeon was a great one as well. :)
  • Options
    exhilolexhilol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 34
    edited April 2013
    Love this story! Bring on the 25th!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    sanshibbiksanshibbik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One really does have to wonder why Neverwinter, the new Dungeons and Dragons flagship, does not have a Dragon as the main splash. Drow are neat, Drow are great. Show us the Dragons.
  • Options
    narc2311narc2311 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nice dragon and great post :) i hope there will be more epic fights like that , i also have not felt that epic feeling since raggy in vanila , wait i tell a lie i also felt it when me and my guild killed Kael'thas (pre nerf). We was on him for 2 months 4 nights a week wipe after wipe after wipe , but then one night BOOM dead belf and the screams on vent and the cheers in Gchat was something i have not experienced for a long time.
    DoubleFacepalm.jpg
  • Options
    hdman44thhdman44th Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great Story! Thank you for sharing that with us :)
    The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.
    Dante Alighieri
  • Options
    sansin1303sansin1303 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 63
    edited April 2013
    This is the single most enjoyable post I have ever read.

THANK YOU for sharing your enthusiasm with the rest of us, and know that you do not stand alone in your love and appreciation of what the development team has crafted for us!

/4 days
  • Options
    elloradannonelloradannon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If what you say is true, and your not really working for the company who made this, then I am elated. I have been waiting for dungeons and dragons to make a good mmo game since WoW showed us what MMO's can be. The amount of lore and existing information just means a neverending amount of material for gameplay. I played the first d and d computer game ever, and played the last 2 neverwinter games. I was sorely dissapointed by the last d and d online game, and I hope this one is everything you say it is. I am a huge fan of RA Salvatore's books, and the whole drizzt series I have read. It all comes down to the gameplay, and if what you say is true, my match is here! Guild Wars 2 is just not getting it done for me, and I kicked the WOW habit a couple years ago. I would pay monthly to play a great game btw!
  • Options
    elloradannonelloradannon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yeah, I haven't had that experience for awhile myself. If this game gives me a small portion of that I will be pumped!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If I worked for the company who made this, I'd be fired because I would not be able to stop hugging and thanking the developers. I'm pretty sure they'd have to use the jaws of life to get me out of the building. I can assure you, this is entirely earnest; you couldn't fake this kind enthusiasm if you tried.

This fight was so genuinely fantastic I still play it over and over in my head. It's downright magical. And I know the endgame stuff is going to be even better. There was so much detail in the whole delve...it's just impossible to describe. It was perfection! I'm still pumped! It seems like it was yesterday still, but it's been so long all the same.

Doubt me if you will, but don't doubt that fight!

Do the Open Beta.

Kill the dragon.

Learn the meaning of awesome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    decubisdecubis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 90
    edited April 2013
    Great thread. Took me back on memory lane for sure. Can't wait to start the game and enjoy some epic adventures. Keep up the great work.
    Greetings Decubis,
    image_160079_thumb_wide300.jpg
    Decubis: Dwarf Guardian Fighter: lvl 60
    Demic: Human Devoted Cleric: lvl 60
    Server: Beholder Guild: The Unnamed
  • Options
    krafenkrafen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 59
    edited April 2013
    Agreed. One of the appeals of a new MMO is learning new mechanics, particularly for boss encounters. Learning them through play rather than from a guide or person in your group who knows all the details adds to the fun.

I've experienced this enjoyment in most MMOs I've played at launch, though. Is there something about Neverwinter you find stands out or has it just been a long time since you played a new MMO?
  • Options
    saintxiisaintxii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 100
    edited April 2013
    nice post, funny thing is i activated my 7 day pass on wow till open beta for Neverwinter lol. They need to update the old races. Sad to see teh new races look so much better then the old races.
  • Options
    neoyoshineoyoshi Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Now if only we could climb giant enemies to attack certain parts of their body to debilitate them (like in Dragon's Dogma), wouldn't that be something? xD
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Just 2 more days! Cannot wait to get back to 35 and do that fight again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]