Install Arc
Options

Control wizard feels underpowered/weak

1235»

Comments

• Options
    adozuadozu Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wait what? CW sucks in pvp? CW is what shapes the pvp in it's current state. if that's not your experience with it you're probably undergeared or just doing it wrong.

ps: in pvp don't use magic missile, use ray of frost.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    emitans wrote: »
    Disappointed to hear a lot of negative things about this class because it's the one I want to play the most.
    Don't worry. It is the most fun class to play anyways. Also you can mix and match some powers to become real powerful. Its all about using various powers at certain timing... So keep on playing CW! Afterall, win is measured by amount of fun you have in a game!
  • Options
    derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    nec0e wrote: »
    personally id be happ with being able to teleprot more than most others or having it recharge much quicker than other classes. that imho would fix our survivability.
    We can teleport 3 times in quick succession without having to wait on stamina recovery. Everyone else can only dodge twice.
  • Options
    nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    there are also a few feats for stamina regen
  • Options
    jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    PVE I don't feel weak, but magic missile feels like magic whif in pvp. I pretty much think they beat the **** out of the CW for BWE4. Not impressed going to have to play a rogue like everyone else it seems. GWF is horrible.

This... It isn't a coincidence that like 35% of the population is playing rogue. Even after the nerfs its too strong it just does WAY more damage than GWF and CW. BTW why are all of GWF's movement abilities now restricted to level 50+? That makes things really hard for inexperienced leveling GWFs. Why would anyone play that class when they can just stealth and faceroll bosses and large mob packs without even taking damage?
  • Options
    nischananischana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I hate the mage at will spells all feel just bad, why we cant have spells like the cleric.
  • Options
    nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the at wills seem like a placeholder for when you get your paragon feats imho
  • Options
    adozuadozu Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    magic missile is totally ok and ray of frost has it's uses. you can't expect a ranged at will from a controller to do monstrous damage. ranged attacks should always be less powerful than comparable melee ones and controllers should deal less damage than strikers.
  • Options
    x0y1x0y1 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    CW starts off weak, even more with the new skill system but after lvl 20 he goes off like a rocket.
    Played from the early 20 to 38 this time and have not run once in a problem that you could not solve.
    Cc immune mobs are annoying but not that dangerous, high mobility and good dmg will do the trick.

The at will powers may not that strong first but with the extra nightmare feat and high crit stats it
    pays off. For me the path is clear, get so much crit/crit severity/recharge reduction as posible. Glass
    cannon build (I don't use shield anymore in the 30th) are good but you need high mobility, so if you
    don't like to dodge attacks all the time, don't play this class.

Overall I can understand if some delete the CW class in the first 10 lvls but if you stick to it, it pays off.
  • Options
    chabi99chabi99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    I only played up to 26 this beta but i had a blast with CW. If you put the effort in your fights its not much that can stop you. When you get Push and combine with RoF its not a singel target that can reach you.
    Overall i did not have to use pots before i aggroed over 5 mobs and survived more then 10 mobs. Often accidental by teleporting in to nearby groups. Awareness of your battleground is vital for a CW. Its not a faceroll class. Play a melee class if you want that.

Whats need to be addressed is the skill system. Its plain boring at least up till 26. Where are the choices? And the dull 10% damage increase in most of them just shows the lack of innovation from the developers.

But overall i really enjoyed my weekend with the CW.
  • Options
    licourtrix1licourtrix1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Leveled mine to 50, and while there were rogues out there that could out damage me, i was always second if not first. Our control/dps mix is really powerful, and when played correctly really does control the fight. By far the best class in the game imo as it offers more than just damage or defence.
    How much do clothes cost in the Matrix?
  • Options
    losbin68losbin68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 79
    edited April 2013
    control wizard if we play our role as a control wizard we can be very effective and powerful. If the control wizard want to be a dps wizard you will fail. The control powers if used right will produce more than enough damage. The question you need to ask. Is the party better off with a wizard only trying to out dps the rouge? I was in bw4 and did a dungeon with a group were there were 2 CW. One a thiefling dps build and me a human control build with her dps build she still could not out dps me and all i did is try my best to control the fight to help the part while she was only out for dps i finish first and the dps cw was third and did nothing to help control the adds in boss fights.
  • Options
    kroktakarkroktakar Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    smoke bomb, blind (rogue)
    stun (guardian fighter)
    who is the CW? i play cw, and when i see the duration of a stun with a shield... i can
  • Options
    kroktakarkroktakar Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    get the point of a cw. Cryptic should nerf the duration of the stunts blind, etc of the other roles.
  • Options
    seleana3seleana3 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is it not the point of being called a "Control Wizard" not give you some kind of insight into the class it self or is it you want to just be a mindless damage dealer, i love being able to control the mobs its my cup of tea as it were. asking for higher damage is pointless your there for one thing only Control.
  • Options
    yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am a CW level 60 and can tell you that i'm not getting even close to the survivability other classes have at this stage.Especially rogues are way overpowered,particularly at PvP. Ofcourse there is no such thing as Control without mind affecting spells like Charm or Dominate.I am a bit old school,i know, but for me there is no Control Wizard without Control Spells.Freeze is elemental by nature.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • Options
    anthonydamanthonydam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just got my CW to 50, I finally feel like it's a complete class, I have a PVE build focused on crit / AOE. The damage isn't really heavy, but I come across a group of mobs I usually take down all but the elites in about 2 skills, then I mop up the elites with a few magic missiles and single enemy attacks.

I still don't know what end game is like, but so far I usually top out on damage ranks during dungeons. I also take point when running through them so I can throw down a few AOEs before the rest of the party starts beating them down.

The one big thing that would help is a good tank companion with high threat level. The man at arms stops at lvl 15 and becomes useless, and the golem seems better but has really bad threat, I usually have to teleport around like a mad man to stay alive.
    Need a website? Why not Zoidberg?!
  • Options
    anthonydamanthonydam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am a CW level 60 and can tell you that i'm not getting even close to the survivability other classes have at this stage.Especially rogues are way overpowered,particularly at PvP. Ofcourse there is no such thing as Control without mind affecting spells like Charm or Dominate.I am a bit old school,i know, but for me there is no Control Wizard without Control Spells.Freeze is elemental by nature.

Totally agree - freeze is elemental.
    Need a website? Why not Zoidberg?!
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ogarious wrote: »
    Now I'm n ot asking for a high damage blaster type class. But maybe something can be done with Ray of Frost so that it slows down mobs faster and more. Because even with the teleport dodge you end up taking way more of a beating then any of the other classes. Now I know your a wizard and stuff. But if your going to have 3 other classes that can all solo with high survivability then the Control Wizard should too. Just sayin'
    Thoughts?

I can't believe this thread had gone over 10pages, and here I am contributing for its bump lol
    I honestly feel that players shouldn't be allowed to write a critique of a class until they meet certain requirements. First they need to get the class to 60. It should be their main character. They should be doing mostly T2 contents. And they must have played the class for at least 50+ hours.
    To start a thread, complaining specifically about CWs and their survivability/damage output, is beyond comical. I am not making fun of the OP, but it is insanely obvious that the OP is VERY new to the class, or just doing something very wrong. The CW is by FAR, and I emphasize "FAR", the easiest class to level, the strongest OVERALL class, AND the most critical class in ANY T2 content. If they give Astral Shield to CWs, there would be no use for Clerics lol.
    Anyways, leveling up, all you need is a Man-At-Arms, and a decent understanding of your powers. I am not going to go over what powers to use and such. There are at least 3 in-depth guides on this forum that more than cover anything you need to know. The rest is on you. You need to practice, and apply what you read. At some point something will click and you will understand the sheer power of a CW. Playing ANY and I mean ANY other class will pale in comparison.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    pathological583pathological583 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't know why this thread got necro'd to begin with. You will notice the large gap between posts. As players got their companions and more daily powers most survivability issues went away. I personally use the cleric instead of the man-at-arms for lvling. The 20% heal from the cleric is always 20% of your health and is useful all the way to 60.

All of the classes have their own issues for survivability depending on the situation. For me I find a group of weak mobs to be easy. A group of weak mobs and one strong mob is also easy. However 2 or more strong mobs gets to be a real challenge and is a fight where i actually use potions and may even have a chance of dying.

Normally I do not use a potion ever. Every time I out lvled my pots I had between 60 and 100 of them that i had not used. I started trying to sell the on the AH. I think the cleric helped a lot with that.

Bottom line is this thread needs to go away and people need to read the guides that have been posted. Do that and you will not have any problems.
  • Options
    malkaviermalkavier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    I can't believe this thread had gone over 10pages, and here I am contributing for its bump lol
    I honestly feel that players shouldn't be allowed to write a critique of a class until they meet certain requirements. First they need to get the class to 60. It should be their main character. They should be doing mostly T2 contents. And they must have played the class for at least 50+ hours.
    To start a thread, complaining specifically about CWs and their survivability/damage output, is beyond comical. I am not making fun of the OP, but it is insanely obvious that the OP is VERY new to the class, or just doing something very wrong. The CW is by FAR, and I emphasize "FAR", the easiest class to level, the strongest OVERALL class, AND the most critical class in ANY T2 content. If they give Astral Shield to CWs, there would be no use for Clerics lol.
    Anyways, leveling up, all you need is a Man-At-Arms, and a decent understanding of your powers. I am not going to go over what powers to use and such. There are at least 3 in-depth guides on this forum that more than cover anything you need to know. The rest is on you. You need to practice, and apply what you read. At some point something will click and you will understand the sheer power of a CW. Playing ANY and I mean ANY other class will pale in comparison.

Except if you play a TR, which has the ability to be completely immune to all control effects (so does the GWF), but does twice the damage output as a CW, can tank bosses even on Epic, and has a reliable daze, teleport + slow ability. Let's not forget that a TR @ L60 can one-shot any CW in the entire game during PvP.

I play both, and TR is far and above the better of the two.

CW has no real control, probably due to there only being one Paragon set available, Storm Wizard, which is primarily focused on DPS with weaker control powers. If you treat the control powers like the interrupts they actually are, you'll do much better.
    How Cryptic trolls the entire NWO playerbase: 9200 GS listed for CN, implying anyone who needs more has no skill.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    malkavier wrote: »
    Except if you play a TR, which has the ability to be completely immune to all control effects (so does the GWF), but does twice the damage output as a CW, can tank bosses even on Epic, and has a reliable daze, teleport + slow ability. Let's not forget that a TR @ L60 can one-shot any CW in the entire game during PvP.

I play both, and TR is far and above the better of the two.

CW has no real control, probably due to there only being one Paragon set available, Storm Wizard, which is primarily focused on DPS with weaker control powers. If you treat the control powers like the interrupts they actually are, you'll do much better.

I know, if you are a type of player that thinks BIG numbers means better class, then of course you will think like that. TR is not better, not even by a stretch. Maybe you should spend more time on your CW, and give it a little more love instead of bedding your TR every night just so you can see the scorecard at the end of the run.
    There is only ONE thing a TR is good for, and it is an important role, and that is to DPS a boss. And even then, if there is no TR available for the run, a CW can take its place without ANY issues, other than Boss fight taking a little longer. Now try running a T2 dungeon without 1 CW and tell me you will get the same result (of course without stacking 2+ DCs lol).
    Who cares about being immune to all control effects? I'd rather have my 3x teleports and be a mile away if I need to be while still pumping out damage. CWs can tank bosses just fine, but since there is usually a Horde of TRs waiting at the door, you hardly have a run without a TR.
    PvP? one shot a CW? Sure, if your tactic is to attack AFK CWs lol. 8 times out of 10, my CW either kills the TR or sends him rolling away with his tail between his legs. When plays a TR or plays against them for quite some time, they become extremely predictable. Most of the time I dodge their big attacks and CCs and that's when they are nothing more than a punching bag.And that's been the same experience not just 1-59, but also at 60 vs crit severity stacked TRs.
    You really show that you have absolutely no clue about CWs when you say we don't have any real control. I would like to see a TR controlling 10+ adds at the same time. I would like to see you use your "immunity to effects" when even a couple of adds jump you while you are fighting the boss. You'd be running back to the healer screaming "Mommy!" :P
    I would like to see you TR dealing with the adds in Spellplague, or even the easy Pirate T2 (without dealing with exploits). I would like to see your TR handling 2+ Thunes and their adds in Dread Vault, or see how long you can stand at the brain dpsing the boss.
    I would like to see your TR handle just 1 red mage in CN Draco, not to mention the countless adds while a CW leasurely DPSs Draco in your place lol. You have no idea what "Pressure/stress" means if you don't play a CW. I don't even know what fantasy (no pun intended) world you play in, where even a GWF is better than a CW. LOL
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.