test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Control wizard feels underpowered/weak

ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Library
Now I'm n ot asking for a high damage blaster type class. But maybe something can be done with Ray of Frost so that it slows down mobs faster and more. Because even with the teleport dodge you end up taking way more of a beating then any of the other classes. Now I know your a wizard and stuff. But if your going to have 3 other classes that can all solo with high survivability then the Control Wizard should too. Just sayin'

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lordraven406lordraven406 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Personally, I think they should revert Magic Missile's animation back to what it was in the reveal trailer and allow the movement with it again. Being planted without the Cleric's utilities for survivability is a major shortcoming of the Wizard in my opinion. I'm only level 5 at the moment so maybe the level 15 at-will skill provide mobility?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Dunno. If it's a game mechanic that can be put in as a skill to be taken later on that's awesome. All I know is right now, at level 10, I'm getting my face beat in, and that's on regular fights. It's much better gameplay on all the other classes.

Hell, keep us rooted for Magic Missile. But allow us mobility for ray of frost and some of the other spells. And give Ray of Frost a action timer and a cooldown timer. So you just cant run around using it to kit mobs around. Make it a balancing act between your hard hitting damage spells and your weak spells that you have to use to give you distance to drop the proverbial bomb.
  • Options
    cusarxcusarx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I personally feel that they are very good just the way they are, now i havent played the gardian class yet but compared to other classes i feel that the mage is one of the best(if not the best right now)
  • Options
    thewiza1002thewiza1002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I feel that they are pretty survivable once you learn the teleport. I have to say that ray of frost is worthless. MM is way better damage and dps is king for this class, assuming that MM is best the rest of levels....I am only 18 right now.
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Ray of Frost is fine...once you hit level ten. Before that it's a little weak.
  • Options
    stereocyclopsstereocyclops Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited March 2013
    Only played an hour so far, and I can't tell if I need to adjust my tactics - but right now ray of frost seems worthless for keeping the mobs off. I keep trying to use it and wondering if I am missing some fundamental thing about how to use it effectively. :-(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fuzzycheffuzzychef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think the biggest problem with the control wizard is that nothing is really being controlled. The actual CC effects either have too short a duration or take too long to ramp up to exert any meaningful control of the battle.

Survivability is fine as long as you're using teleport effectively (constantly), and running away whenever enemies get close, but I don't find this kind of gameplay to be keeping with the theme of "control". Also, a side effect of constantly having to reposition is wizard damage is terrible when soloing, but I don't have any experience with the wizard in groups yet so the actual potential damage could be much higher.
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Look at your level 10 class ability. It increases the damage of ray of frost per chill effect that's applied so it's starts to do pretty solid damage on top of the freeze.
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Just reached 20 right before maintenance. My thoughts:

-Potion chugging is what makes me survive more than Teleport does. It seems that my biggest trouble with Teleport was in Tower District (orcs place) and that I always end up aggroing nearby mobs with Teleport. And on some bosses (the quest chain instances and not the dungeon queues), I end up running out of stamina too often. All the boss attacks, I Teleport just fine (more like, I HAVE to Teleport from them), but the problem is I can't spare any stamina to avoid the endless spawn of mobs.

-Ray of Frost would work well, I would assume, once you start getting all those Chill related feats. And right now, I feel like I build up action points faster with RoF than with MM (I do have that first tier feat of build up action points when casting control spells).
    Also, RoF damage is pretty good if you have all cold Powers out since the level 10 passive increases your damage per Chill stack. The problem is just with most bosses and how they resist most control effects.

-Yeah, mobility is very limited right now. But what's really annoying is the huge wind-up animations that roots us in place. Sometimes, I prefer using the weaker RoF than MM because MM wind-up takes forever and I end up getting my face exploded.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah there was a bit of a ramp up when you get to tower distract. I haven't had much trouble at all.
  • Options
    christovaochristovao Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kfmc wrote: »
    Just reached 20 right before maintenance. My thoughts:

-Potion chugging is what makes me survive more than Teleport does. It seems that my biggest trouble with Teleport was in Tower District (orcs place) and that I always end up aggroing nearby mobs with Teleport. And on some bosses (the quest chain instances and not the dungeon queues), I end up running out of stamina too often. All the boss attacks, I Teleport just fine (more like, I HAVE to Teleport from them), but the problem is I can't spare any stamina to avoid the endless spawn of mobs.

-Ray of Frost would work well, I would assume, once you start getting all those Chill related feats. And right now, I feel like I build up action points faster with RoF than with MM (I do have that first tier feat of build up action points when casting control spells).
    Also, RoF damage is pretty good if you have all cold Powers out since the level 10 passive increases your damage per Chill stack. The problem is just with most bosses and how they resist most control effects.

-Yeah, mobility is very limited right now. But what's really annoying is the huge wind-up animations that roots us in place. Sometimes, I prefer using the weaker RoF than MM because MM wind-up takes forever and I end up getting my face exploded.

Just reached 17 and totally agree with you, if they join this new Magic missile animation with the mobility of the old one will be perfect!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Just got my 5th death on the Control Wizard. And I'm only level 10. I have run all the other classes to 10 without dying once. So yeah, there's a issue there. And why the hell do we need Magic Missile if Ray of Frost is going to be our damage dealer? RoF should be the control power that we use to keep us at a safe distance to use MM effectively...
  • Options
    nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i find RoF would be far superior for controlling if you could backpedal while casting.

im low level still but i feel the cleric was far superior in the control abilities (they had that great chains aoe hold ability) which was far more effective than any of the single target holds we have.
  • Options
    altreg01altreg01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is what Beta is for, feedback. I found the CC Wizz to be weak myself, I was hoping for more of a glass cannon type of character, Im glass alright and guess I didnt play long enough to earn the cannon. Hopefully they improve upon this class with all the input from us players.
    I've had amnesia for as long as I can remember.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ive played as a 1st ed wizard before and it was better i ended up scrapping it control wizards are pathetic they are trying to be dualists when they are ment to just take down the majority of the mobs and why cant they have an attack other then magic wizards were never all magic they had staves sceptres daggers etc
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    1st/2nd/3rd/3.5/Pathfinder=/= Fourth Edition. There's a reason the class uses Orbs.
  • Options
    lightspeed2k10lightspeed2k10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Have done cleric to 5th and control wizard to 5th. Control wizard was the easier of the 2.

Honestly I don't like both classes having magic missile as the primary. Sure it looks different, but it's still just magic missile

PS: Excuse me but I was wrong. After playing a little longer I would say cleric is easier.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kfmc wrote: »
    So far at level 24 this has been my experience as well. Then again, potions are plentiful and I tend to build a decent stockpile in the encounters up until I meet a boss.
    Bosses being effectively immune to control effects (including basic slowing) is a bad thing for this class. It removes the main defensive ability of the class, forcing us to rely on potions. Non-bosses can be controlled fairly effectively by using Icy Terrain + Conduit of Ice (Mastery) and RoF, but IT is level 17 and CoI needs to be in the Mastery slot for it to work as control.
  • Options
    neya01neya01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 63
    edited March 2013
    I pretty much agree with kfmc. The lack of close-up AoE spells means that at close combat, the Wizard is poorly equipped to fight, especially against mobs of weaker enemies. With a boss, i can teleport a good distance away and freeze him, but as i can only target one mob at a time, mobs are much more difficult to deal with than with other classes. I think the wizard should get some more close-range AoE spells, to 'control' the mobs better. Right now, i don't feel like i'm controlling much, to be honest.
  • Options
    nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    the fact that bosses tend to be immune really irks me as, i like choosing my class based on the role, GWF, rogue if i wanna do damage, cleric for heals and buffs, wizard for control...except it'll be useless in any event it might matter because the bosses tend to be immune or highly resistant.
  • Options
    harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They are OP if you ask me, just spamming Repel on anything and they can't do ****. Loving the fact that i can specc non ice even as a Control Wiz. Im fully specced Arcane so far, at lvl 23.
  • Options
    pyrophoriapyrophoria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just finished getting a Control Wizard to level 40, having to duo with a friend of mine all the way up. We have split apart and taken on our own mobs with very little no issues whatsoever. I agree that the animation and strafing should be allowed while using Magic Missile, mostly because I find myself being swarmed all the time and the ones that typically are the most issue are the heavy melee and uncontrollable boss types that will typically annihilate you if you're not moving.

The Control Wizard is supposed to be heavy on the control spells and dps, for the most part, but oftentimes I do, in fact, feel underpowered or that my control spells last literally about one second, then the enemy is back to trying to stab my face. While there are MANY cheap spell combos to keep things at a distance, or to flat out annihilate them right back, it would be very nice if the Control Wizard had a teensy bit of a buff to them, or reverted their Magic Missile back to its previous animation and ability to move while casting.

Ray of Frost = Epic. Simple as that, while the freeze on it doesn't last very long (About .5-1 second), it can be spammed since Ray of Frost applies one stack every .5 seconds and freezes them on the sixth stack. Not only that, it builds up your Action Points like nobody's business. You can just spam it and have your daily back up every other mob if Ray of Frost is all you used. I wouldn't recommend only using it though, as Magic Missile is still your bread and butter for At-Will dps. Ray of Frost's dps is still very low, as it's a utility and control power.

Combos? Yes! Repel, Ray of Frost, Ice Rays, Ray of Enfeeblement are all awesome. I've had a few successful rotations (depending on if they couldn't be knocked/controlled) that involved all of those. Ray of Frost is fantastic for keeping things either busy or away from you, using Repel and Ice Rays to keep them at a snail's pace. While the slow should be MUCH stronger and the hold MUCH longer, it's still pretty nice for a Combo. Holds aren't very strong right now and you -can't- rely on them to save you, but your knockbacks will save your life more than anything. Arcane Singularity and Ice Storm will be the bee's knees for your Daily abilities.

All in all.. Underpowered? Maybe not, but it could easily use a buff in some respects, especially the control aspects. Control doesn't mean only knockback, it's also the Dazing, Holding, Immobilization and such. Control duration buff? Yes, please! Maybe a healing spell? EVEN MORE SO. But for right now, the Control Wizard is a fantastic class that I will definitely be playing when it comes launch.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Pyrophoria, while I don't necessarily agree with everything you said. Your review is a good one. I would like to see Ray of Frost damage stay the same, but make the slow duration and amount higher. Instead of granting movement with Magic Missile, keep that a rooted ability and allow slower movement while using Ray of Frost. Maybe at the Guardian Warrior's shield movement speed. I've gotten myself to 14 now and I admit there is a vast improvement in the CR come level 12-13ish. I am still having to suck down potions literally every fight, but with the Tab attack (Forgive me, but I forget the name. You shoot a big ball of ice that explodes) you can take on some bigger groups and not get decimated so quickly. All in all it still rates the lowest of all the classes so far in survivability. But then again, isn't that how it's suppose to be for wizards? :)
  • Options
    pyrophoriapyrophoria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Exactly, Wizards are -supposed- to be squishy by nature. We're all supposed to be controlly and maybe a teensy bit of DPS. There's Paragon trees for DPS, Control and Tactical. If the control powers were actually that, sure, I'd go the Control path, but for now, I went with Tactical because there was nicer things in it right now.

So much could be done to change the class and make it better, and odds are the devs are reading the forums on the subject, or even watching some of us play it up through the levels, seeing what combos we use, what we never use. Maybe give them some clarity on what needs a buff, what needs to be taken out, ect.

Ogarious, the power you're thinking of is Chill Strike in the Spell Mastery slot. Best. Spell. Ever. As Spell Mastery. Ever since we could slot it in there, it's -never- moved from that slot, everything else wasn't as epic or helped me live better than that. Just a suggestion? Chill Strike in SM, Repel on Q, Ice Rays on E and Ray of Enfeeblement on R. Magic Missile and Ray of Frost on the mouse buttons. It's a combination of control abilities and high dps that would put you under Rogues, but still kind of up there. You'll have some very helpful abilities to keep things at a distance, slowed down, ect. On bosses that -can- be knocked and frozen, you will -never- be hit in melee if done right in the perfect rotation.
  • Options
    mishakal1mishakal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited March 2013
    This is a control wizard. I hope they keep the class "underpowered" so when the war wizard is released there is something to differentiate the two classes. The control wizard should focus on... hrmmm... control? I am hoping it turns out to be more of a support/CC-oriented class akin to the enchanter in EQ. I got one to 18 in this beta and found it much more fun than the other classes I played prior. Please give each class something unique... if all the classes are the same with different graphics... what's the point.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mishakal1 wrote: »
    This is a control wizard. I hope they keep the class "underpowered" so when the war wizard is released there is something to differentiate the two classes. The control wizard should focus on... hrmmm... control? I am hoping it turns out to be more of a support/CC-oriented class akin to the enchanter in EQ. I got one to 18 in this beta and found it much more fun than the other classes I played prior. Please give each class something unique... if all the classes are the same with different graphics... what's the point.
    The main thing is, currently the class works better as AoE dps than it does as control. Yes, CW does offer some degree of control, but that generally doesn't work quite as well as going all out glass cannon dps.
  • Options
    mishakal1mishakal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited March 2013
    The main thing is, currently the class works better as AoE dps than it does as control. Yes, CW does offer some degree of control, but that generally doesn't work quite as well as going all out glass cannon dps.

For me, that's what made the enchanter in EQ fun to play. Sure, you couldn't do great DPS, but if you were able to play your class well, people wanted to have you in their group. I remember back in LDON days I would mez things and then run around making sure things continued to be mezzed while the rest of the group took out the mobs one by one. Back then if you didn't have a good enchanter, you would get absolutely annihilated... but that's just how it was tuned. Since then I've been waiting for another game where CC was actually necessary for the harder pulls/content. It makes things much more interesting in my opinion than just zerging/DPS'ing everything. I preferred it when there were four major types of classes: dps, tank, heal, support. Probably not going to get that with NWN but hey, I can throw it out there. :o
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Well, our CC definitely needs a buff then. I was soloing content from 24-29 (Neverdeath Graveyard map), and I just keep getting overwhelmed by large mobs (3+ is 'large', if they're all the type of mob that doesn't die in 4 clicks of MM). Thankfully, Potion chugging can keep me alive because I just cannot kite them at all. Our 'Chill' effects barely slow them down, and a chilled monster can still easy catch up to you.

I see some traits in the Paragon level that increases the number of Chill stacks our Powers apply, so maybe that will help stun them faster. But as of right now, I can only rely on potion chugging. Against CC-able 1-on-1 bosses and big monsters, it's perfect, you can chain Ray of Frost-freeze, Chill Strike-stun, and Repel-push them all day long. But CC is near useless in large crowds;
  • Options
    gwenzelthargwenzelthar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yup, some sort of aoe slow thats more effective for soloers would be nice.
    jonforgottenrealmssmall.jpg
    "I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"
  • Options
    abcdefg2234abcdefg2234 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    Wizard AOE is a joke. Their lvl 30 skill is a joke, less damage OVERALL on multiple enemies then your magic missile tri-burst. Only thing I really liked is there's a good variety of skills to go straight dps, aoe control, aoe dps, or single target control. Also like their animations, all the spells LOOK cool. But none of it was really awesome, in fact it pretty much felt more like a tank grind spamming their skills, feeling so weak.

Only difference is wizard dies a lot more *sigh*. Got to 34 and called it quits, want to see some tweaking to wizard skills.